The Take-Out Master of the Nieuw Statendam

rkacruiser

But whom?

Captain Albert in his Blog several days ago indicated that one of the original Masters of the Koningsdam was currently stationed at the simulator/training center for Officers in the Netherlands and the other gentleman was at the shipyard in Italy. I presume this gentleman will be the Nieuw Statendam's Master. But, who is this gentleman?

Captain de Vries was the take out Master of the Koningsdam. Will he join Captain Edward G. Van Zanne, as a present day HAL Master, who has had the "joy" of bringing a new ship "to life" for Holland America Line?

But whom?

Captain Albert in his Blog several days ago indicated that one of the original Masters of the Koningsdam was currently stationed at the simulator/training center for Officers in the Netherlands and the other gentleman was at the shipyard in Italy. I presume this gentleman will be the Nieuw Statendam's Master. But, who is this gentleman?

Captain de Vries was the take out Master of the Koningsdam. Will he join Captain Edward G. Van Zanne, as a present day HAL Master, who has had the "joy" of bringing a new ship "to life" for Holland America Line?

Van Zaane is retired..

Van Zaane is retired..

Thank you for the information. I did not know that.

I first sailed when Captain van Zaane was at the helm on Rotterdam V in 1996 on an Alaskan cruise. I subsequently sailed with him on Amsterdam and Nieuw Amsterdam.

I got to know him just a bit and have a great deal of respect for him.

I wish him well in his retirement.

HAL recently lost a umber of great Captains. Pierter Bos, edw Van Zaane, John Scott and I think another who I cannot re call now.

Captain Scott has not retired and, because I'm also an aircraft pilot, I'm thrilled to be sailing with him again on E'dam in September.

It is Captain Bowland.

Thank you for the information. I have yet to sail with him at the helm and am looking forward to doing so.

Is my memory correct: Was he also the take-out Master of the Euordam?

Captain Scott has not retired and, because I'm also an aircraft pilot, I'm thrilled to be sailing with him again on E'dam in September.

great news. i'M Happy to hear I may have a chance to sail with Captain and Mrs Scott again :)

We heard that it was Darin Bowland who will be The Master of the NS. I believe that he is already with the ship.

Sandra

Correct, he is currently in the shipyard.

He has had an interesting history, but is a very humble and personable captain.

Can you guys tell me exactly what the Take-Out Master is. (the captain?), and how long he might be with the ship?

We are looking at sailing on N.S. later next year.

Thanks!!!!

The take-out Master is designated by HAL as being the first Captain of a new build. He is assigned to be at the shipyard for a time period, of which I don't know, during the building of the ship and is involved in her construction and outfitting, in her sea trials, and delivery to HAL. The gentleman then brings the ship into service for her initial cruises. How many? How long? I don't know. I suppose such a time period would depend upon his contract with HAL.

Captain Albert recently reported on his Blog that the construction of Nieuw Statendam is on schedule. I expect he will be at the helm during my two January cruises. Whether Captain Bowland will be the ship's Master when you sail, surely I don't know. There will be an equally qualified Captain who will be the alternate Master (normal operating procedure) when Captain Bowland is on leave. But, whom? Not known at this time.

While Captain Albert's list of current HAL captains was last updated a little over a month ago, 21 June 2018, I would think any recent retirements would be listed.

It says: Captain Hans Mateboer and Captain Pieter van Maurik have retired from the active fleet and are now involved with Training and Development which includes stints at our Training Centre in Almere.

In a separate post, Captain Bos was listed as retiring this past spring.

Captain Edward van Zaane is listed as serving as master of the Nieuw Amsterdam right now (03 Jun 2018 – 01 September 2018) and then is schedule to return 25 November – 03 March 2019. So I don't think he has retired.

Captain John Scott is listed as scheduled to command the Eurodam: 29 September 2018 – 30 December 2018.

We have sailed with Captain Scott on the Noordam and with Captain van Zaane on the NA...I’m glad they’re both still around!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

We sailed with Captain van Zaane on Westerdam and Captain Scott on Noordam and Eurodam , Actually, now that I think back, we may hav e sailed with Captain and Mrs. Scott on Zuiderdam ( some years ago).

Capt. Darren Bowland announced at Q&A on my last cruise (Koningsdam) that he will be taking the Niew Statendam. I have sailed with him twice on the Koningsdam and look forward to meeting him again on the Niew Statendam.

I do appreciate knowing what appears to be "accurate" information that Captain Bowland will be the Nieuw Statendam's master. Looking forward to meeting him.

Conflicting information about Captain van Zaane, however.

I am also 99% sure than Captain Scott is still an active Captain in the HAL fleet.

On the topic of retiring captains there is another captain retiring in January 2019 , Captain Chris Turner . We have cruised with him on the Zuiderdam ,the Prinsendam the Zaandam and the Volendam . We had a couple of great dinners with him ! Too bad for us another big loss to HAL !

Really enjoyed Captain Bowland a number of years ago when he did the Voyage of the Vikings on the Eurodam there was a very funny cruise director on board , his name if I remember well was J.C. and the two of them had us in stitches on a lot of the morning shows on TV . If he is in Venice now he will be taking out the Nieuw Statendam. Captain De Vries had the honors to do that on the Koningsdam . ( Hey , did you know they are both Canadian ! Not bad eh ! ) .:D:D:D

Captain Bowland was the captain on my first cruise ever - the Eurodam to the Caribbean. He was a nice guy and seemed approachable. We are booked on the Dec 5 2018 sailing of the Nieuw Statendam and it will be nice to have him as our Captain again.

HAL recently lost a umber of great Captains. Pieter Bos, Edw Van Zaane, John Scott and I think another who I cannot re call now.

John Scott has not yet retired. I expect to sail with him to Hawaii at the end of Sept.

John Scott has not yet retired. I expect to sail with him to Hawaii at the end of Sept.

On Eurodam?

Have a great cruise.

I my have been confused as Captain Scott was no longer sailing the beautiful and special Noordam.

On Eurodam?

Have a great cruise.

I my have been confused as Captain Scott was no longer sailing the beautiful and special Noordam.

Don't feel bad about being confused as to which Captain is on which ship. Captain Albert's Blog referencing this information helps. But, it's almost like the old Abbott and Costello routine of years ago of "Who's on First Base?"

I'm glad that they often transfer Masters. It helps to keep those Masters "fresh" with a new ship and her handling characteristics, her crew, and the ports the vessel visits.