So what's the best thing you've eaten on a Holland America cruise?

jeepers13

I'll start with one word: dessert. I loved them all. In the main dining room, for sure, but so many yummy little plates at the buffet. Never had a pavlolva before and I thought it was divine. I won't tell you how many I had on our last cruise. It was a lot.

Plus, I've never been on a cruise with hand-dipped ice cream before. It's always just been soft serve on the pool deck. That was a nice touch.

Can't wait till March!

That’s a tough one! There are so many great things to eat on a HAL cruise! But a few of my favorites are the seafood curry on the buffet, escargots on gala nights, and of course, any of the burgers at the Dive-In and the fries! Nothing helps soak up the alcohol like a burger! And as specialty restaurants go, don’t miss the Tamarind and their wasabi crusted tenderloin or Green coconut curry! Now I’m hungry! 🤣🤣

20 cruises and counting!

I'm really enjoying Sel de Mer both on Koningsdam and the pop up on Volendam I just experience. Seafood Tower, escargots (can't have it in MDR anymore), Cassoulet, Coq au Vin, sweetbreads. Sushi in Tamarind and the not as giant fortune cookie. I'm going to go back and look at all the posts. This is fun after microwaving a burrito for dinner tonight. Love it when they can incorporate local ingredients.

I casually discussed escargot with my waiter on the Nieuw Amsterdam and he said it wouldn’t be on the menu for our short cruise. But he put in a special order and we had it two of our four nights in the mdr! It was delicious, so remember if you have some special requests, the waiters (or Matre’d) can still make arrangements if you ask them. Of course we took care of Sayma at the end of the cruise for the special service we received!

20 cruises and counting!

I casually discussed escargot with my waiter on the Nieuw Amsterdam and he said it wouldn’t be on the menu for our short cruise. But he put in a special order and we had it two of our four nights in the mdr! It was delicious, so remember if you have some special requests, the waiters (or Matre’d) can still make arrangements if you ask them. Of course we took care of Sayma at the end of the cruise for the special service we received!

20 cruises and counting!

Good for you! Special service deserves recognition.

Can't mention anything on this last cruise. Worst food I have ever had on ANY cruise. And I am not a fussy eater.

On previous HAL cruises have loved the food - it was very good IMO.

A few honorable mentions on this last trip on the Veendam:

Escargot, bread pudding, Dive In burgers, and the fresh roast turkey they had at lunch ONE day was as good as always.

The rest could go overboard...JMO

Just got off zaandam--favorite was king crab legs in pinnacle grill. Amazing!

Sounds incredible. I’ll have a tough time choosing between the bone-in ribeye and the king crab legs! Anyone care to help me by placing their votes? [emoji6]

Sounds incredible. I’ll have a tough time choosing between the bone-in ribeye and the king crab legs! Anyone care to help me by placing their votes? [emoji6]

Dine there twice.

Smoked duck with lingonberry cream appetizer on the Zaandam last week. So good I almost ordered it for dessert. But the tropical fruit cheesecake was too tempting. I had two of those!

I had that smoked duck, too. Delicious! So many good things on the Zaandam right now. I was sad to see so many people eating in the Lido for dinner. They are doing great things in the MDR these days -- everything perfectly presented.

King Crab Legs -- you can always get the bone-in-ribeye at home.

Well.....I actually get King Crab Legs at home pretty often. I live in SoCal and frequent the Crab Pot and Captain Jack’s, both known for their crab legs. But I appreciate the vote! I think “twice is nice” and I can get both.[emoji12]

On the Koningsdam....at the Grand Dutch Cafe.....these HUGE Cream Puffs.........:)

11afmzc.jpg

116ozd5.jpg

WOW! I'm looking forward to the Grand Dutch Cafe on the Nieuw Statendam! (Please don't anyone tell my cardiologist!)

I have always avoided the fruit soups because, in my mind, I think "sweet". Are they?

I would say yes to that. They are more than a little like starting your meal with dessert. But some of them are so delicious! It's a vacation, so a treat (not every night, perhaps) is in order.

Years ago the recipes for the chilled soups were different. There was usually a sherbet, or cream, or sometimes tapioca, in them as a thickener. Those are missing from the ingredients for years now.