Haines Excursions

** Please post your recommendations ONLY in response to request...do not start a new thread. Thanks!
Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts
BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
All times are GMT -4.
The time now is 05:09 PM.
8 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
We will be in Haines on the Grand Princess in Mid-June. What are some of the best things to do? I was looking at the pontoon ride on the lake. Has anyone done this before?
Concord, California
3,673 Posts
Joined Jun 2000
Last time I was in Haines I rented a car and drove out of town for a few hours checking out the sights. If you want to do some flightseeing check out Paul from Mountain Flying. He does some great flights over Glacier Bay, a much better value than thru the cruise lines.

I'm still looking at 2018 cruises and Grand Princess in June is one of my top choices because I haven't been to Haines in a while
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
[email protected]

Princess 56 cruises HAL 4 cruises Celebrity 4 cruises
RCCL 4 cruise NCL 1 cruise Carnival 1 cruise
Alaska 26 Caribbean 14 Mexico 11 Coastal 5 Transatlantic 3
Panama Canal 2 Hawaii 2 South America 2 Baltic 1 Tahiti 1
Australia/New Zealand 1 Norway 1 Asia 1
Syracuse, New York
51,316 Posts
Joined May 2000
Sorry, I wouldn't even consider a boat ride on the Chilkoot Lake. I'll speculate it's a high cost, which would make it even more on the dismiss rack for me. Even the kayak trips there are barely worth my time.

Depends on you and what you want out of your trip??? Could be the choice for you perhaps?
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Central California
928 Posts
Joined Feb 2006
Budget Queen, can you tell us what it is about this excursion that you deem not worth anyone's time? I'm not familiar with Haines, and looking at an itinerary that would stop there. These excursions (pontoon boat and canoes/kayaks) run in the $100 range, so fairly affordable for Alaska compared to other excursions. Can you get them much cheaper privately? Is the scenery boring? It doesn't seem like there is a huge variety of excursions available in Haines, and it's hard to tell which ones would be a good value for the money.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
01-27-2012 Emerald Princess
06-29-2013 Grand Princess
11-27-2013 Golden Princess
04-26-2015 Ruby Princess
02-18-2017 Royal Princess
Syracuse, New York
51,316 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by centralcalicruzer
Budget Queen, can you tell us what it is about this excursion that you deem not worth anyone's time? I'm not familiar with Haines, and looking at an itinerary that would stop there. These excursions (pontoon boat and canoes/kayaks) run in the $100 range, so fairly affordable for Alaska compared to other excursions. Can you get them much cheaper privately? Is the scenery boring? It doesn't seem like there is a huge variety of excursions available in Haines, and it's hard to tell which ones would be a good value for the money.
It's a lake boat ride, hardly that exciting. It's simple to just drive there and take a look from the campground. this is my preference. I find a car rental a good opportunity for getting some distance and range of Alaska beauty. Just an option. I've been using Avis the last couple times, and just walk to the pick up. Perhaps, take a look at my friend, Murray's excellent guide? http://explorenorth.com/library/road...s_highway.html
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Harrisburg, PA
2,014 Posts
Joined Jan 2001
Agree. I’ve done the kayak and fishing trips at Chilkoot Lake and wouldn’t do either again. ( just FYI, the “restroom” there is literally an outhouse. Make sure you use the facilities on the boat coming from Skagway or the cruise ship if you dock in Haines.)
8 Posts
Joined Jan 2018
Thank you for the input. We love wildlife and water. Outhouses don’t bother us but we also want to get the most out of our time. The car rentals are pretty pricey. We are renting one in Juneau but would rather do something different in Haines. I’ve looked some more and they have a high speed ferry that goes between Haines and Skagway. Has anyone tried this?
United States
424 Posts
Joined Oct 2015
In Haines there's a local fellow who does independent fishing charters - 9 Fingers Outdoors. (one of his pointing fingers is missing...) His specialty is small groups (2-3) interested in salmon or trout fishing who also want to see some real Alaska. He will pick you up and drop you off. We had a great time catching salmon this past year - he's a very nice and funny guy. Good luck!

rocklin ca
1,463 Posts
Joined Jun 2012
In Haines there is also the Kroschel Wildlife Refuge Center. Princess usually offers an excursion there, or you could book with the center directly and they would probably help you arrange transportation.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Cruising with teens
Syracuse, New York
51,316 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Mommylizof5
Thank you for the input. We love wildlife and water. Outhouses don’t bother us but we also want to get the most out of our time. The car rentals are pretty pricey. We are renting one in Juneau but would rather do something different in Haines. I’ve looked some more and they have a high speed ferry that goes between Haines and Skagway. Has anyone tried this?
Yes, I've done the ferry a few times. What are your plans for Skagway when you get there- is the big decision. I certainly would not just take the ferry. I also have chosen to fly one direction, in my travels.

"Pricey" is Alaska. You going to Skagway, will also probably be "pricey" as well. Car rentals, are some of the lowest cost, touring options. I always suggest, not just "dismissing" an option, because it may offer you the best use of your short time in ports. I always say, my time is way more valuable to me, than any money. Simply a thought.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
Syracuse, New York
51,316 Posts
Joined May 2000
Originally posted by Suzanne123
Agree. I’ve done the kayak and fishing trips at Chilkoot Lake and wouldn’t do either again. ( just FYI, the “restroom” there is literally an outhouse. Make sure you use the facilities on the boat coming from Skagway or the cruise ship if you dock in Haines.)

It seems my trips in Haines are always, August, and that outhouse is simply horrific. One of the worse in Alaska. Interesting, I've used them on the Dalton Highway- 100 miles to the next "town", and they are spotless and supplied.

It's got to be the terrain- and environment of Haines that is the difference.

A great warning you just reminded me of.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Happy Alaska travels

[email protected]
714 Posts
Joined Jan 2013
We rented a car and drove to Chilkoot Lake then to Kroschel Wildlife Center and part of the Haines Hwy. We enjoyed it and found it to be less expensive and longer touring time than booking an excursion.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
2017 - Radiance of the Seas - Alaskan Cruise - Vancouver to Seward
2016 - Carnival Splendor - Roatan / Belize / Costa Maya / Cozumel / Grand Cayman
2016 - Carnival Valor - Nassau / Amber Cove / Grand Turk
2015 - Explorer of the Seas - Cocoa Cay / Cozumel
2014 - Jewel of the Seas - Southern Caribbean
2013 - Voyager of the Seas - Western Caribbean
2010 - Carnival Breeze - Eastern Caribbean
2008 - Norwegian - Exoctic Western Caribbean
2007 - Princess - Alaskan Cruise
1995 - SeaBreeze - Eastern Caribbean
1992 - Mardi Gras - Bahamas
1991 - Fesitvale - Bahamas
1991 - MS Caribe 1 - Eastern Caribbean
1988 - Starship Oceanic - Bahamas
Michigan
2,015 Posts
Joined Jun 2005
We are considering doing the Wilderness Trail on 4x4's excursion. Anyone have information on this? Is it worth our time and money? (Not a cheap excursion).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
November 2017 - Navigator of the Seas - 9 Night ABC Islands
March 2017 - Harmony of the Seas - 7 night Western Caribbean
December 2016 - Enchantment of the Seas - 4 night - Holiday Cruise.
March 2016 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 Night Southern - Leg 2 - B2B
March 2016 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 night Southern - Leg 1 - B2B
March 2015 - Vision of the Seas - 7 night Western (Adult Kids first cruise)
March 2014 - Adventure of the Seas - 7 night Southern (Leg 2 of Back to Back)

March 2014 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 night Southern (Leg 1 of Back to Back)
March 2013 - Adventure of the Seas - 7 night Southern Caribbean.
February 2011 - Freedom of the Seas - 7 night Eastern Caribbean.
March 2010 - Serenade of the Seas - 7 night Southern Caribbean.
October 2008 - Jewel of the Seas - 7 Night New England/Canada
April 2005 -Splendour of the Seas - 7 Night Western Caribbean

7,604 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
We are doing the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in June, and it sounds great (although it is not inexpensive).
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
June 2018 - HAL Noordam (7-day Glacier Discovery Southbound)
May 2019 - HAL Maasdam (21-day Ultimate Alaska & Pacific Northwest Adventurer -- RT San Francisco)
Sacramento, California
1,273 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Cruise_More_Often
We are doing the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari in June, and it sounds great (although it is not inexpensive).
I thought that leaves from Skagway, not Haines. Is there one that departs from Haines? I checked for the May date when we will be in Haines and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari departure time doesn't work for taking the ferry from Haines to Skagway to take it. Perhaps in June there are more times for one or both.
7,604 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by new_cruiser
I thought that leaves from Skagway, not Haines. Is there one that departs from Haines? I checked for the May date when we will be in Haines and the Glacier Point Wilderness Safari departure time doesn't work for taking the ferry from Haines to Skagway to take it. Perhaps in June there are more times for one or both.
It leaves from both places, but the glacier is much closer to Haines than to Skagway, so our boat ride should be shorter.

I think there are five departure times for the excursion for our cruise, which is in mid-June.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
May 2019 - HAL Maasdam (21-day Ultimate Alaska & Pacific Northwest Adventurer -- RT San Francisco)
7,604 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
Originally posted by Suzanne123
You will love this one. I’ve done it three times.
Now that's saying a lot! Thanks. From the videos I've seen, it looks wonderful. Here's one: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KA3AQsnoykg
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up:
Sacramento, California
1,273 Posts
Joined Jun 2003
Originally posted by Cruise_More_Often
It leaves from both places, but the glacier is much closer to Haines than to Skagway, so our boat ride should be shorter.

I think there are five departure times for the excursion for our cruise, which is in mid-June.
Did you book it directly or as a ship excursion? I've searched and don't see anything on booking it independently from Haines. My ship doesn't offer it. We are in Haines in May. I've found this:
https://www.alaskaexcursions.com/glacier-safari-2/
Not sure if that is the vendor or a consolidator and it doesn't say anything about Haines departures.
7,604 Posts
Joined Feb 2004
We booked it through the ship. The site you linked to is probably a consolidator. I'm not sure who the vendor is.
Expand Signature
Collapse Signature
Coming Up: