All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, my daughter wore the pants to work yesterday (dark chocolate brown). She’s going back to Chicos to get a couple of more pairs because they are so comfortable. She wore them with a teal long (mid calf) cardigan & chocolate/teal print blouse & chocolate boots. I wish I had a picture. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Laurie, most skin cancers are on the head, neck, or arms, so they are not difficult to spot. Except for the one on the back of my calf, which I spotted when shaving, all have been on my arms; not just easy to see but also to feel the change in texture. It would be rare for you to have one in a place that's normally covered with clothes, especially living up north where we are covered up a lot of the time.

It's not surprising that my left arm has born the brunt. I always say it's from the Michigan air conditioning -- driving with my arm in the open window. I didn't have AC in a car until I was 23. :)

Margaret, I agree. I have had one (melanoma) on my back. It was under my bra strap (uncomfortable little sucker). I was fortunate that my primary care doc discovered it in a routine physical & sent me immediately to the dermatologist (same day surgery). That was over 20 years ago. All my others have been basal or squamous & on face, chest, shin & arms/hands. Only 3 on left side, all others on right side (3 years in Okinawa during my 20s driving on other side w/o ac).

My hiatal hernia surgery is scheduled for next Thursday. I’ll be in the hospital for 2-3 days, the actual surgery is 3-4 hours. They wanted to do it on Monday & I requested my birthday not be a surgery day [emoji849], doc agreed. Melody

Yes, a birthday surgery just would not do. We'll be thinking of you next week. I'm sure you'll feel so much better after it's fixed.

My new boots came today, and I love them! I got the chocolate brown suede with the fleece lining. I'm wearing them around the house now to break them in a bit, and my feet are toasty. :hearteyes:

https://www.zappos.com/p/toms-desert-wedge-chocolate-brown-suede-w-shearling/product/8639489/color/600181?ef_id=WVvbOgAAASP7ZxME:20180118001749:s

I also ordered the slim jeans from CC that I posted. They fit perfectly so I'm keeping 'em!

We did not get the 4 inches of snow they were predicting for today, just a lot of rain. I'm wondering if Anita caught any of it because I heard the weather next door in Georgia was terrible.

I'm headed to Michigan this weekend to check on my dad. So nice to have new jeans and boots to wear with my new coat. I don't feel like I'm wearing someone else's ill-fitting hand-me-downs.

Cute boots. Too much heel for my foot tho

My cousin lives in Alabama (just retired from Auburn University). He had 7” of snow coated with ice yesterday. He shows corgis (agility). Their little short bodies got buried in the snow. His video was hysterical. Anita must be freezing.

Margaret, a few new things & a good haircut make a world of difference. Melody

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Yes...freezing in NC. We were supposed to reach 30 yesterday but I don't think we did. Should have a decent warm up to around 40ish today, when I woke up it was 16 degrees, felt like 3. OMG. It snowed for most of the day yesterday...quite beautiful...I love snow. Real snow...that accumulates on the ground and that you can actually SEE falling because the flakes are so big and fluffy looking. I think we've been setting records for length of cold spells...should be sunny for a few days now though, that helps heat the apartment amazingly well.

Nice boots Margaret. I'm with Melody on the heel, but I know you would have no problems with that. I can see them being very versatile. Do you waterproof them? Dealing with wet weather is something that is still struggle with in regards to shoes...

I'm so disappointed that we will miss crossing paths in the Southwest! Such a bummer! We could have had such a fun day! Ah well. We'll have to sort it out and make it happen in a different way. Bon chance on the skin biopsy.

I have been reading so many fiction books from the travel category. I finished "bonjour kale" and before that, "How to Make a French Family." Anyone that has an interest in reading a memoir like book set in France...the first in Paris, the second in the south of France...I do recommend both for easy fun reads.

I hope your surgery is successful Melody. I've never overnighted in a hospital. I hope you are able to sleep. Do you have noise canceling headphones? Could you use them? All my knowledge of such things comes from reading or watching, but the most common complaint I recall is how the noise and the check ups can really impair your ability to get good rest.

On another topic, I think it's pretty fabulous how you know so many people in different areas. That you would basically have a whole social network in place should you decide to have a residence in Florida. My Great Grandma ended up moving late in life after living in the same place for decades. It's a sad truth that where she was living, even surrounded by all the people that she knew in her little subdivision, there comes a time in life when the people pass away and she knew fewer and fewer people, living in an age restricted community. She moved closer to family but I would venture to say that the move was probably a few years overdue and I'm not sure that she ever had the same social life that she had had in that one community. It's just something that makes you think. I don't mean to be morbid...if it comes off that way.

I think about these things because we move so much. I keep thinking that we need to be getting closer to the area where we want to be for longer so that we have an opportunity to build a wide social circle. And I think of that social circle in terms of family/friends and the opportunity to know people of different ages... I believe I"m a pretty practical person...so I do spend a bit of time in such contemplations...more so lately because the light is at the end of the tunnel with regards to DS' continued residency in our home. He just turned 17 yesterday...college is right around the corner...

As such, the move that is imminent plays heavy on my mind, especially as I sort our stuff and determine what is worth storing. I haven't been so motivated for that project with the lovely weather we've been having...

I think I'm the next one traveling? My trip to AZ beginning on Feb 13? I'm so ready for a bit of warmer weather! I know I"ll be seeing some long time family friends...so I"ll discuss with Mom how fancy we want to be.

Melody , Good Luck with the surgery and Happy Birthday ! Mine is Saturday ! We have plans to go out to dinner and a movie but I am down with a weird virus .

I would never worry about moving to Florida and finding friend .Everyone is from somewhere else and open to new friendships .

Happy bday Sally! Hope you get better soon, there are some nasty bugs out there. My surgeon told me to stay home until I have the surgery so I don’t get sick! I can’t even go to the gym [emoji22]for water aerobics.

Anita, I haven’t had an overnight in the hospital since I had back surgery in 1990! Noise canceling headphones sound like a great idea, that & smart wool socks! Melody

Happy Birthday Sally! Do you have birthday plans for tomorrow?

I imagined posting more between now and Monday, but just in case, Happy Birthday to you too Melody!

I would say definitely yes on the socks! The closest thing I've had to overnight hospital is when DS was born, but that was a birth care center...completely separate from a hospital (but connected through an underground tunnel in case of emergency surgery)...and we just stayed in the one room. That was January too (obviously) so I emphatically agree on the socks.

The Alaska plans are all sorted! Things that can be reserved, are...with one exception, but I've been assured that we are on the books...we are just waiting for the tide predictions to be released by the one source that our guides prefers and then we can finalize that booking and plans...want to hear? So glad you do!! With what I hope is the right amount of detail...

Pre-cruise we stay for two nights in Vancouver. We arrive in early afternoon...we will have one full day for site seeing...then we have as much time as we allocate on our cruise embarkation day

Ketchikan...I found a local tour guide. A Scotsman who moved to Ketchikan 30 years ago. He married a Tlingit woman (an Alaskan native) and he is something of a wood carver himself...his father-in-law is wood carver. Apparently he often wears a kilt while he gives tours and he does have a wee bit of an accent!

Icy Strait Point...whale watching with a small local operation. The boat capacity is for 6 passengers...we are a party of 5, so it's likely we will have a private tour. The couple that runs the boat is very friendly...at least the woman is, I've spoken with her.

Juneau...here is where we are up in the air a bit. DH and DS are going to do a father/son fishing excursion which is a shore fishing excursion with a local. The tides are very important with it being shore fishing...so the timing here is still TBD. Regardless, we're right in the King Salmon season, so they will be fishing for King aka Chinook...IIRC. The rest of the day hinges on this fishing time...but it will likely be low key...

Skagway...very low key. We plan to do the ranger led walk in town and then do some hiking. There are several hiking trails around. I located a lovely local bakery...if the weather is agreeable, the thought is to grab a picnic lunch and then head up to one of the lakes and have a picnic...maybe do a bit of relaxed fishing...and otherwise enjoy the area. There is a local brew that we are keen to try...brewed with Spruce tips in lieu of hops.

Hubbard Glacier day...

Then we debark in Seward. We have a private van to take us to the Anchorage Airport where we will be picking up a rental car. This sounds so odd, but the one way cost of the car rental is INSANE. This is where we part ways with Mom and Dad who have a reservation at an Anchorage hotel before flying home the next day.

DH, DS, and I are headed back to the Kenai Peninsula where we have a public use cabin reserved for 2 nights. Check them out...I'm very excited! It's the closest thing that we can get to being in a more wilderness setting. We'll be about 1 mile away from the car...so a bit of a walk to get our cabin, but this also separates us from the small campground also at the lake.

The next day we have an all day fishing trip planned...drift boat fishing on the upper Kenai River. We'll be in-between salmon runs there, so we'll be fishing for rainbow trout and Dolly Varden. Still...amazing. All day is only 8 hours...the sun rises at about 4:45 am...twilight starts at about 3 am...the sun sets at 11:30 pm...twilight ending at 1:30 am. So there's roughly 1.5 hours of actual darkness... The fishing starts at 7 am...so 8 hours...we'll still have quite a bit of time to enjoy the cabin.

Then we drive back to Seward...where we are going kayaking in front of Bear Glacier. We aren't going to be kayaking for too long, so we won't actually get too close to the glacier...it'll be more about kayaking all around the ice bergs from the glacier.

We have a cabin in Seward that is like a hotel cabin...a hotel of cabins...so we don't have to use our gear that night.

The next day, we do a glacier hike on Exit Glacier. And that same day we have to drive back to Anchorage.

Here's the real kicker. Our flight leaves at like 5 am from Anchorage. And you have to be there early...and the car rental desk closes at 2 am. We've had issues with car rental agencies in the past and so we're thinking it would be best to turn it into an agent and not just rely on their inspection without us present...so we're seriously thinking that we will not be at a hotel that night...we'll just kind of camp out in the airport and pull an all nighter of sorts...maybe catch a nap at the airport? We'll have sleeping pads and bags after all...

And from what I hear, Anchorage is one of those airports that this happens in frequently. There's a whole guide available for sleeping in the airport. I know this sounds horrendous, but I don't think that it will be totally horrible. I think it will prepare us well to sleep from Anchorage to Minneapolis, where we have an extra long layover. We will be ready for as decent a meal as we can get in an airport and a bit of a break and a walk around before the rest of the flight home.

We'll be home on July 3. Just in time to enjoy Independence Day and then our anniversary...so we'll have some recovery days for after our adventure vacation.

It does sound a bit tiring, but it sounds amazing too!!!

Anita you really have a packed trip . I sort of regret not doing a longer trip when I went to Alaska We went for 10 days . I really enjoyed Vancouver . It is a beautiful city . I am feeling slightly better so I am sure we will at least go out to dinner .Since my birthday is in the worst part of winter I am used to celebrating it whenever .I still have not figured out what I am taking to Cuba & Key West . It has been to cold to think about warm clothes . Hopefully it will warm up this week

Sally, that is a pretty dress. Looking at the fabric description, it sounds like it would be a really nice draping knit to wear. To me, those are the best for travel. They pack well and are really comfortable.

Anita, your vacation to Alaska is going to be great! You have it really well planned out. It is on my bucket list, but because so many people say that it's the kind of thing you do once, I want to make sure I do it in a way that I can truly enjoy it. If I were to go there now, it would be a 7 day cruise, with no extra time at all arriving or leaving wherever we sail from/to. I just don't think that is the best way to experience it.

I was thinking that when the time comes, I would go the route of a cruise tour? This will probably be my retirement celebration, or just something we make work with our schedules down the road, a good 5-10 years from now.

Sigh. I will have to experience it through your pictodiary!!

Sally, happy birthday! I hope you have a wonderful dinner.

Melody, good luck with your surgery and happy birthday also!

Margaret, that coat looks really nice. It looks like the perfect in between weight too. It's 19 degrees here, and we are on our way 35 tomorrow. This is very thrilling, because it is above freezing. With the cold we've had this past week, they have not been able to get rid of the snow and ice that well. Roads are looking decent in most areas, but parking lots are awful.

I decided to order a few dresses that were formal, but with sleeves. I have one dress with sleeves, and it is more of a business dress and it would not work for the event I have coming up. I realized that I have a few things I go to each year and I have the same issue each time. I end up opting for something sleeveless, then being cold.

Anyway, I have to try them on again because I only tried them on super fast. The first was red lace, off the shoulders but just a little. It's sparkly. Very sparkly. Too sparkly. And the sparkles are everywhere. OMG. I will try it on again to see if I like it, and if I can tolerate the sparkles. Ideally, I'd throw it in the washer and wash away all that glittery stuff, but I don't know if I can do that. So try it on, check the label...at least it's red!!!

The other has sequins on the lace, so no sparkles! It's kind of a warm taupe color, and I'm not sure I'm liking the neck area. It is very different for me so I may need to get a picture first. So iffy color, iffy style.

There is still another one I'm waiting for. I really take advantage of free shipping, and being able to return at the mall.

As much as I wanted to wear a long dress, and would feel comfortable based on what I saw picture-wise from last year, there is currently one other couple attending. I asked her what she is wearing, and she said short formal. I don't want her thinking she is under dressed, or that I am over dressed. It will be a fun event.

Glaciers...I have always wanted to see one! And whale watching!!!

Great news Margaret! I’ll have a blackberry whiskey mule! Always wanted a younger sister (I’m an only) [emoji6].

On the glitters, I have several really glittery things & I asked google how to eliminate drop off [emoji23][emoji23]. Melody

Normally I'd be toasting with a Johnny Walker Black on the rocks (my winter drink), but since I can't take the bottle back with me on the plane, I have a tasty but cheap pinot grigio. Cheers!

I had three people compliment my new boots today.:cool:

Anita, it turns out I am not going to be going to LV after all. Because of the February school calendar, if I took that Monday off it would be the third Monday in a row that I wouldn't see my writing students, which would not be fair to them, so I'm staying here. :(

Edited by MJC
typo