All Things EARTH... part 2

CCHelp

Laurie, love all your dresses, short or long. Good luck with choosing.

Melody and Sally: Hope you heal quickly.

Margaret, I also like that lip colour.

Melody, thoughts to you and the community at this difficult time. We, in our city, lost an officer in November over a stolen car too. We were in shock, as a city, as we rarely lose police officers in the line of duty.

Laurie, I can’t see your pictures on my iPad. I originally could, but the link has been disabled.

Well, we’re finally getting some snow & neither Les nor I can shovel! I can’t cause of the surgery & Les has a really sore shoulder (probably rotator cuff). The roads are too icy to call out the grands. Guess we’ll just sit & watch it. Melody

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Melody, I can't post photos from my phone, because it says the forum had blocked media. I don't know why. I tried posting from Photobucket for the fun if it, and it worked for just a few photos. I will need to figure out what to do going forward. I miss the ease of posting photos!

Tonight is Sweet Cabaret. Im going to wear the rioja red lace dress I had taken in. It's not my first choice, but I didn't think the new short lace dress eould be good - too light in color for an evening event? Which is odd to say, because I would wear the long ivory one. Something about it being shorter makes me second guess it.

I still have the aqua one with the jewel neckline. I took it in once and I think it fits. The aqua is mid tone...

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app

Laurie, I hope you have a really nice time tonight. Would love to see a photo tomorrow. :)

I've been using the image hosting site that Anita recommended. Check it out, it's not hard to use and it's much faster than PB with all their ads. https://imgbb.com/

Our exciting activity today is mattress shopping.:rolleyes: I can't get a good night's sleep any more. Between our cruise and our Christmas vacation I got more sleep in December than I have in a long time on those good beds. One that we are considering is the brand that Princess is now using. With a little homework I found out the manufacturer and there is a store nearby that carries the non-branded version, so we are going to give it a test rest.

Here is a question for you. DH has some work travel coming up during my spring break and I can't go, it's too far and too long to be away for me because I'll also be hosting Passover and going to visit my Dad during those two weeks. I've been kicking around the idea of taking a shortie cruise by myself, a 4 day out of Miami maybe on a cheap last minute inside fare. With airfare it would be about $700 and I wouldn't miss any work. Is that something you would ever do, cruising solo?

Hope everyone is feeling better this weekend.

Margaret, do you think the new lace dress, in the peachy beige color is too light for an evening formal event? I think the rioja red one is the best color for a night event. It isn't red, but that is what the color is called. It is a purplish color with a touch of brown to it. The aqua would work because of the jeweled neckline. It creates a formal look for a shorter dress.

Both the rioja red and peachy beige are lace, cross over styles with some sequins added. I thought about the red lace dress because it's close to Valentine's Day, and a lot of people choose red for this event. (like it was made for me, right??) But the red lace dress is more of a heavier woven lace, more casual. Definitely not for a formal event. the one I wore for the Christmas party is really nice, and I could dress it up with nice jewelry, but I really wanted to wear a formal dress. Sigh. I'm overthinking it!

As to a short cruise by yourself, i would totally do it if I could. It is hard for me to travel solo due to my hearing loss, but I would do it if I could. I have a 25 year old daughter who visited NYC last year by herself. You seem to be an extrovert who would do very well.

From a financial perspective, I think it works too! I hear people all the time say they wouldn't do a short cruise if they had to fly, but I have done it and would do it again. Especially just flying down to Florida, you know? I can't think of another trip you could do for that price. Between the hotel and food alone, it's hard to compare to cruising.

Which is a thought I am having regarding going to Niagara Falls for a few days. It is not cheap to stay or eat there. I am a planner by nature, so I may start working on some comparisons this weekend. Pick a week, compare the costs of different trips, put it in a spreadsheet....

Oh, and I'm with you on the mattress shopping too. My husband and I were looking at RCI mattresses, because we have a lot of aches and pains that are not nearly as bad with their mattresses. We have been talking about a new one for quite some time, but are worried we will get something that will suit one of us but not the other.

While I think cruises are good values you really have to add up all your costs to do a fair comparison ( tips, taxi's ,excursions,pictures , drinks, etc.).When you add that all up they can be costly .I like a variety of trips and that includes land vacations to different cities.New Orleans is a fun place to visit and Washington DC can not be beat for value with most of the museums being free. Nashville is another great place and there are tons more .You can find great hotels for pretty inexpensive prices you just have to search the different sites.

Margaret, I have traveled by myself quite a few times . I was widowed at 51 so I learned to just do it and I have to say I enjoy it .One summer I rented a house on Cape Cod and traveled all over the island and had a great time .You should go for it . You can take zumba classes and sit and read and just chill out .

Laurie , You are making your dress decisions to difficult .It is kind of amusing . You are a type A to a tee.

Laurie, just pick the one you feel like wearing. You always look both beautiful and appropriate. Any "rules" about what gets worn when are quickly being eroded, and you know best what is appropriate for this event.

In the last few years it has become common for women to wear sleeveless dresses with no hose for dressy winter events. When I first moved here that would've seemed crazy.

As far as the mini cruise, I am drawn to the idea of just relaxing, reading, and being waited on for a few days. I may not even go ashore (especially if there is a water slide on board). If I stay home I will probably go out with friends, maybe see a Broadway show, and do the inevitable shopping, and that's not likely to be cheap either. :) When I come back from break I am heading into a very busy semester because my boss is leaving, and I'll be taking over some of her duties until she's replaced. I've often traveled with DH on his business trips, and I've gotten quite good at finding things to do on my own, so I have no worries on that score.

Sally, 51 is so young to lose your spouse. I can't imagine. Are you home yet? I hope you are feeling better.

Laurie, the nature of this forum means I don't often think of your hearing loss. I hope that if some of us manage to get together IRL one day, that you woudn't hesitate to participate. We have a family friend my mother's age who has been deaf since birth, so I am not completely ignorant, and I'm sure we would all do our best to be what you need. :) Next time you are in NY we should try to at least meet for coffee!

I am wondering if your eye study has changed your shopping or thinking about color. I've been thinking more about how it clarifies for me the edges of my good color zone, that it's a tool for understanding 12 color theory a bit better for those of us who aren't square in the middle of our season.

Laurie, I agree with Margaret. Wear the dress that makes you feel good

Margaret, I traveled alone for work for years & most of those trips included a weekend somewhere I didn’t know. Sometimes I never left the hotel, other times I hit a spa or went shopping (lots of shopping) A cruise alone, yep I’d do it.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Sally, glad you’re home & improving. Doc told me this week not to travel till at least April & to stay out of the gym for another 3 weeks. Right now I sure don’t feel like going

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I’m doing ok Sally, energy level hasn’t popped back as quickly as other surgeries. Doc told me Wednesday that this was a tough surgery & that recovery is slow...he wasn’t kidding [emoji849]. I’ll be fine, just need to keep moving...

Sent from my iPad using Forums

Here I am in what I think is my Romantic Color. The top also has muted ivory and grayish blue in the pattern. This is a very soft look for me compared to what I usually choose. Also my hair was really flat that day so I blew it straight, which I don't do very often.

Romantic_Colorsmall.jpg

Everyone says how good the lenses are in cell phones these days, but I never take as good a picture as I can get with even my smaller Canon. This one is a little blurry so you can't zoom in. I can also tell from the wall color that the light is off, it's a little too cool.

p.s. the print on the wall behind me inspired the color scheme in my living room. It used to be in the dining area but I like it so much better here. In fact I originally wanted it here with the buffet when we moved in, but due to an oddity with our ceiling, we had to put our tall china cabinet in this spot instead. The weird ceiling was one of the things we addressed in our reno.

Margaret, that is a pretty shirt, and I really like that color in it.

I don't like using my phone for pictures, but it is the easiest option for me at the moment. When I try to post a photo right now, it tells me the forum has blocked media. Thid just started a few days ago.

I'm trying out Flickr right now. Let's see if this will post:

https://www.flickr.com/gp/159434024@N07/49Brw2

Sent from my SM-G935V using Forums mobile app