Soda Package "Service Fee"

I was finalizing the purchase of the soda packages for an upcoming cruise on the Freedom for my family of four, and I noticed the final price jumped up $49.00 due to a "service fee". I called up Royal Caribbean, and they explained that this was actually a gratuity imposed by the line. Now I have been on quite a few RC ships as of late, and I am aware they have adopted the new CocaCola Freestyle machines. They give you a special souvenir cup, and you must serve yourself. My question is, why am I paying a gratuity when I'm not actually receiving any service? Royal Caribbean's answer was that the machines need to be serviced from time to time, and this gratuity covers this "maintenance". I'm really not buying this answer. I think RC is just trying to impose yet another charge, and was hoping no one would question it. I realize the cruise lines are just trying to increase revenue, but as it is, what i am paying for with these beverage packages for a week, I could have bought 38 cases or 912 cans of CocaCola. Trust me, they are making their money off me without imposing this additional fee.

Sent from my SM-T713 using Forums mobile app

As often as you'll find the Freestyle machines out of service, out of the specific flavors you might prefer, or just not convenient to where you are, you will almost certainly use the services of the waiters/bartenders.

The gratuity is 18% of the price you're paying for the package. That money will be split among waiters, bartenders, staff that services machines, and likely many other folks involved behind the scenes in the beverage department.

That's just the way it is, and it's pretty well spelled out everywhere this is how it is.

How long a cruise are you going on that you have a $49.00 gratuity added on? The package typical goes for 8.50 per day. For a seven day cruise that is $59.50. 18% gratuity is $10.71. That is a total of $70.21. You must be doing a very long cruise. You would have to be on a cruise lasting about 4.5 weeks to have $49.00 added onto your soda package.

As often as you'll find the Freestyle machines out of service, out of the specific flavors you might prefer, or just not convenient to where you are, you will almost certainly use the services of the waiters/bartenders.

The gratuity is 18% of the price you're paying for the package. That money will be split among waiters, bartenders, staff that services machines, and likely many other folks involved behind the scenes in the beverage department.

That's just the way it is, and it's pretty well spelled out everywhere this is how it is.

I've had the package on several cruises. I never once used the services of waiters/bartenders to get a soda.

How long a cruise are you going on that you have a $49.00 gratuity added on? The package typical goes for 8.50 per day. For a seven day cruise that is $59.50. 18% gratuity is $10.71. That is a total of $70.21. You must be doing a very long cruise. You would have to be on a cruise lasting about 4.5 weeks to have $49.00 added onto your soda package.

I think they meant for the whole family.

It's likely the total gratuity for all four in the family thus would be a 8 night cruise.

Cruisedad, when the packages were first introduced the gratuity was included in the stated price of the package. Some time ago RCI decided to add the gratuity onto the stated price. Of course, when they unbundle the gratuity they didn't drop the price of the package so the effect was that they increase the total cost of the package by 18% without making it obvious that they were doing that.

I do understand your point that when you compare the cost of soda on the ship to the cost at the grocery store they are making a killing off of it. This week at Stop & Shop 2 liter bottles of coke are $0.88.

Are you doing Freedom's 8 night eastern? We have done it several times. Great ship and a very nice itinerary.

I'm all for gratuities, and miss the old days of individual tipping with those little envelopes. I completely understand why they went to the auto gratuity system, but i truly feel that levels of personal service has dropped considerably. I also believe the cruise lines are not ensuring all the gratuities are making it to the employees. These freestyle machines offer guests much more variety of soft drinks, but they are also plauged with long lines, selections that are out, and very often do not have ice. The cruise line is saving money on labor by not having to employ bartenders to serve these drinks. I find it hard to belive they would find it acceptable to pass on an additional fee with these beverage packages.

Cruisedad, when the packages were first introduced the gratuity was included in the stated price of the package. Some time ago RCI decided to add the gratuity onto the stated price. Of course, when they unbundle the gratuity they didn't drop the price of the package so the effect was that they increase the total cost of the package by 18% without making it obvious that they were doing that.

I do understand your point that when you compare the cost of soda on the ship to the cost at the grocery store they are making a killing off of it. This week at Stop & Shop 2 liter bottles of coke are $0.88.

Are you doing Freedom's 8 night eastern? We have done it several times. Great ship and a very nice itinerary.

Yes. I've never been on the Freedom. Our last trip was on the Oasis, and believe it or not, I thought it was just "too big". It was an absolutely gorgeous ship, but this time we opted for a family oceanview instead of a balcony. I found that I had a hard time finding a quiet place to watch the ocean go by. I may give the class another shot with the Harmony or the Symphony.

I do not drink soda. However the rest if my family are big soda drinkers. But none of us ever get a drink package. The water and juice on the ship are fine and included. Also if someone really wants one it is included at Johnny Rockets. So you may want to consider forgoing the soda.

Well you can still walk up to any bar and get a soda. And you can still order soda in the dinning room. Thus I guess part of the gratuity goes to those bartenders also.

Yep. And some shops don’t even have the freestyle machines so you have to use the bartenders.

They charge the fee on the water package, too, and that’s a one time delivery of the case.

The service charge on the soda package is not new. You were also charged a service charge when you purchased your soda packages for your previous cruise.

Agreed.

That would not apply to me as I can only drink non caffeinated soda which is why I gladly pay whatever it is they charge for the soda sticker as I don't think they have decaf soda at the bars..:)

Bill

I have found that for the most part, bartenders will avoid or ignore guests with the soda cups, or they would tell me to use a freestyle machine. There were a few exceptions of course, and I made sure to tip them individually.

So this is not your first experience purchasing the soda package on a ship with Freestyle machines? But you were surprised by the 18% added charge?

So this is not your first experience purchasing the soda package on a ship with Freestyle machines? But you were surprised by the 18% added charge?

Maybe the last time he bought a package it was when the service charge was bundled into the price so there was no add-on.

don't buy the package

case closed ....

Exactly,

in the end there is a bottom line for the cost of the package. Does it really matter if the total cost is split up into a package cost and a service fee or if there is just a single amount?

In the end only the price paid counts and that´s when you have to make the decision to buy or not.

don't buy the package

case closed ....

Capt_BJ, going an entire 8 days with my children and without that soda package would not be an enjoyable experience. I really have no other choice but to purchase the package since RC no longer allows us to carry on a case of soft drinks. I am merely questioning the reasoning behind this additional fee. $50 extra in the grand scheme of things is not really a lot of money, but I do work very hard for every dollar, and I am allowed to question what I am spending that money on. I am going to voice my opinion if I feel something is not right, and I would expect others to do the same without someone just saying, " don't like it, oh well" My family and I love cruising, and would hate to stop using it as a viable and economical way to vacation. As is the way with the airlines, cruise lines will continue to tack on fee after fee after fee until it is no longer an enjoyable experience, similar to how I feel when I get off a flight. Trust me when I say representitives from RC read these posts, and if they see people are not happy with changes, they may reconsider if they are worth loosing past or prospective guests.