Regent Alaska: Would 2 28 year olds go Insane in September

Currently on the Mariner Transcanal. Found demographic much older than we are. Worried that the cruise we have planned for Alaska in September will be a problem for our 28 year old daughter and her boyfriend. Should we switch to Oceania?

You say that on your present cruise, the demographic is much older than you are. Has that negatively impacted your enjoyment? If so, and if your family is likely to have similar feelings, then, sure, the 28 year olds might not much enjoy the September cruise. (Though Alaska is so wonderful, it's hard to imagine anyone not grooving on that itinerary.)

But if you have found that you really enjoy the Regent experience (don't know if this was a first-time Regent cruise for you), perhaps the "kids" would enjoy it as well. There are quite a few differences between Regent and Oceania, with a number of threads detailing those differences. In fact, is it correct that Oceania has younger demographics? I have no idea.

I hope that you enjoy whichever you choose. Alaska is great.

We brought our son and his girlfriend on a ten day cruise on Regent about two years ago. They were about the same age and the age of most of the cruisers was probably around 65-75. While they did not meet many, if any, folks around their same age they had a great time. Bars, lounges, great food, room service, pool, jacuzzi, etc kept them happy along with going on excursions and just roaming the port areas. And for some reason they also liked their time alone in their cabin. If they were paying, they might have gotten a slightly better experience (better, more modern,music and shows, more night life etc) for perhaps less cost but given that we paid they had a great time. And we had a great time which was our intent.

Alaska is port intensive and the days are filled up with lots of things to do off of the ship. Some young people hang out with the singers and dancers that are in their 20's while on the ship.

In my opinion, it is difficult for adults not to like a Regent cruise - no matter what the age.

We sailed only once on Oceania and I commented that I had never seen so many scooters on a cruise. Plus, the bars were dead partially because you have to purchase booze and partially because we were cruising around Spain and there is a tax on top of the cost of a drink plus 18% gratuity.

On our last Regent cruise there was a young couple traveling with their very fit parents. I asked them how they were adjusting to the demographics. They said they were meeting fantastic people and enjoying themselves tremendously. They also took part in most of the activities. I think much will depend on how open and gregarious your 28 year olds are and how open they are to getting to know people outside of their generation.

If anything the demographic on Oceania would skew older. The included excursions really help on Regent in Alaska, and there are many value-added excursions that are reasonably priced and quite active. They can hike through the rain forest, do whale-watching, all kinds of great boat rides, etc. With a port-intensive cruise like this, I doubt if they'll have a problem.

Thank you for your replies. I think one of our concerns based on this cruise is the 18 day length skewed the age a little higher. This is our 4th Regent cruise and we are very a very active family (we run several half marathons a year together). Thinking the excursions will be great. This cruise has had a few too many sea days (some unplanned). Just looked at the Horizon Suite we have reserved and that might have pushed Regent over the top. Thanks again.

We did Alaska on Regent and found it quite different from earlier Alaska experiences. It was the last cruise of the season. Things felt dispirited .

The ports were very quiet. The salmon we saw were at the end of their life span. We wouldn't pick September in Alaska again though Regent was great as always.

We are very active, long distance hikers, I do at least 1 hour of cardio per day, in our early 60s. Our sons, now 27 and 31 , have many cruises on Regent and love it. They have a blast. We are taking the oldest and his wife on an Oceania Alaska cruise next month, very similar demographic. I remember one Norway cruise, with the youngest, who was about 17 at the time. He made fast friends with Orpington, who was in his upper 80s at the time. They loved hanging out together.

Alaska is port intensive. I think any adult would have a great time. At least my sons do.

Currently on the Mariner Transcanal. Found demographic much older than we are. Worried that the cruise we have planned for Alaska in September will be a problem for our 28 year old daughter and her boyfriend. Should we switch to Oceania?

No, because Alaska is really more off ship with lots of things to do. Read the tours---on the ship will mostly be eating and you'll be at your own table and sleeping. If they do the touring right they will be tried. Alaska cruise is just different.

Kept trying to guess who you were Ronrick. Never found you though.

We've out and about, most of the time together--we'll be getting off tomorrow, last off. If you see us say hi. We're friendly, we met a lot of people on the ship.

On our one and only Oceania cruise, we had so many older cruisers that 3 or 4 suffered health emergencies and were removed from the cruise either at a port or by helicopter. There were wheel chairs and scooters everywhere. There were a lot of cruisers in their 50's and 60's too, but very few under 30.

That being said, if I had been invited to cruise with my parents when I was 28, I would have jumped at the chance and enjoyed every single moment.