Visiting PV, Mazatlan & Cabo-beach people looking for suggestions

mitsugirly

We will be visiting these places for the first time (normally cruise to the Caribbean).

I have no idea what to expect here and have been told that it's a lot different than the Caribbean. Possible rough water, not the crystal clear blue water and so on. We are beach people who snorkel and scuba (discover) so I'm not sure how this is going to work out for us.

Let me just start by saying we are NOT the "tour" type of people and don't like riding around on a tour to see the sites. We don't care about historical information. We don't care about places to eat or this "great bar" you must visit. That's not us. Beach and water only.

We will be there April 1st...well, that's when our cruise starts, so that week. I'm seeing that there are some whale watching excursions still at this time. Anyone have any suggestions on who to use and what was your experience? What port is best for this?

Cabo: possible suggestions? Whale watching, divorce beach, land's end, lover's beach, the arch (Is there an arch there too? Or did I get mixed up)? Anyone been to any of these and have any pictures or an experience to share? Of course looking for other suggestions.

Mazatlan: Only thing suggested has been Stone Island. Anything else?

PV: Arch, Las Animas. Anything else.

We love to snorkel and we usually try to do a Discover Scuba Dive with each cruise, but not sure if that's an option this time around since I'm told the water might not be as clear as the Caribbean and pretty rough. Any of these places good for either?

I'm looking for suggestions, pictures you might have and your experiences. Once I get some suggestions, I'll do additional research on here for other posts. Please don't tell me "there's plenty of posts on these places do a search"...then I have a bunch of information all over the place and it gets confusing.

Thanks in advance. :)

+1 for Stone Island in Mazatlan. We spent the day there on our cruise in October and it was a wonderfully relaxing beach day for us.

We love Las Caletas in PV. It's an excursion, but well worth it in our opinion. You are taken by boat to a private tropical island where there's plenty of water/beach activities, or you can simply lounge on the beautiful beach. Drinks and a Mexican lunch are included with this excursion.

We like Medano Beach in Cabo..

We will be visiting these places for the first time (normally cruise to the Caribbean).

I have no idea what to expect here and have been told that it's a lot different than the Caribbean. Possible rough water, not the crystal clear blue water and so on. We are beach people who snorkel and scuba (discover) so I'm not sure how this is going to work out for us.

Let me just start by saying we are NOT the "tour" type of people and don't like riding around on a tour to see the sites. We don't care about historical information. We don't care about places to eat or this "great bar" you must visit. That's not us. Beach and water only.

We will be there April 1st...well, that's when our cruise starts, so that week. I'm seeing that there are some whale watching excursions still at this time. Anyone have any suggestions on who to use and what was your experience? What port is best for this?

Cabo: possible suggestions? Whale watching, divorce beach, land's end, lover's beach, the arch (Is there an arch there too? Or did I get mixed up)? Anyone been to any of these and have any pictures or an experience to share? Of course looking for other suggestions.

Mazatlan: Only thing suggested has been Stone Island. Anything else?

PV: Arch, Las Animas. Anything else.

We love to snorkel and we usually try to do a Discover Scuba Dive with each cruise, but not sure if that's an option this time around since I'm told the water might not be as clear as the Caribbean and pretty rough. Any of these places good for either?

I'm looking for suggestions, pictures you might have and your experiences. Once I get some suggestions, I'll do additional research on here for other posts. Please don't tell me "there's plenty of posts on these places do a search"...then I have a bunch of information all over the place and it gets confusing.

Thanks in advance. :)

I know I was helping out on your review, but didn't want to take away from your review or get off topic. It has been almost 18 years since we were on our cruise to the Mexican Riviera and our cruise was in January. The ports were all warm/hot, but water was a little chilly. It could be a little warmer in April. The water isn't the same turquoise blue as the Caribbean is, and I can't remember how clear, but we were still able to snorkel. I'll try to separate by port.

Cabo: I don't think I attached this picture, capture from Google Maps that actually labels most of what you mentioned (Lover's Beach, Divorce Beach, Lands End, and the Arch). With the arch and beaches, I think it depends on the tide, but you can walk to, and through, the arch at low tide since the beach is exposed there. We were able to see it from the boat we were on, and there were clearly people on the beach under the arch. I think the beach under the arch may be underwater during high tide since I've seen pictures before where it looked like it was in the water. Maybe someone who has been there recently can give you a definite on that. But we had gorgeous views from the boat and they made sure that we were able to get the pictures we wanted. I think I did attach a picture that I got of the arch in your review.

For snorkeling...I looked back though my pictures and called on my friend, Google Maps/Earth and found the area we were taken to for snorkeling actually does have a name. It's Pelican Rock (also labeled on this screen shot). I'm sure there are excursions that go there for snorkeling as well. I know I mentioned we booked a tour through the cruise line (RCI), but I'm sure there are many other options. I don't know about Scuba though, but that's coming.

Just adding a screen shot map with part of the marina area, including where the tender dropped us off. If the tenders still unload in the same area, all the beaches you mentioned look close enough to walk to. Now I don't know about the tides and if the beach is like in this screen shot all the time (with lots of beach exposed to walk to those areas) or if there are times walking the whole length is not possible. Again, maybe someone else can chime in with a definite. We didn't go on any whale watching tours, but we did see some breaching from the ship a couple of times. I'm sure there are some tours through the cruise line or even local tours that would offer whale watching. I don't know where the best port for whale watching would be.

enhance

Mazatlan: I probably can't help much here. We did the tour through the cruise line to go to the "Golden Zone" (shopping area) for shopping/beach break. It included taxi to/from Golden Zone where we could then walk across the street and down to the hotel where we had beach privileges. We spent several hours on the beach here, but the water was just too cold to get in. I can attach a few pics. I've also heard about Stone Island and know there are other islands off the coast that tours may go to. We were able to actually see one of them from the beach we were at (will attach pic). I know one is called Deer Island (on the map it's called Isla de Venados).

Isla de Venados (Deer Island) from beach we were at in Mazatlan. Please excuse the quality, this is scanned from a film picture.

enhance

I've heard of Stone Island, very close to where the ships dock, but I don't know what all there is to do there. Where we were, Golden Zone/beach area, wasn't very far, maybe a 10 - 15 minute cab ride. Long time ago, but it wasn't a long ride. But for what you like to do, this may not be the best beach, but including picture so you can see Deer Island. There may be tours that go here, maybe even snorkeling (???).

Attached map (labeled):

enhance

PV: I think I attached a picture of their arch, which is actually in a tiny little island off the coast. But I did an internet search and it looks like there may be something there that is right up your alley...SCUBA!!! There is also snorkeling too.

Attaching a link from Puerto Vallarta's website with information, pictures, and video on the underwater park: http://www.puertovallarta.net/what_to_do/los-arcos-national-marine-park

IF you end up going to Las Animas beach, where we were, bring bug spray. I forgot to mention that. I don't know what it was, but a few of us on the catamaran ride from the beach noticed little red dots on our arms and legs. My husband, his brother, his sister, and his sister's husband did not have them. The others who did walked the beach, both directions, for pictures, so we think the culprits were on either end of the beach. I did not feel anything bite me, I did not see anything bite me, and I didn't notice anything flying around. I was walking, not sitting on the beach, so I have no clue. But these little red dots turned into mosquito bite like welts that itched like crazy. We saw the one other couple that were on our tour (both also noticed little red dots on their arms/legs) around the ship the last two sea days and theirs were also like mosquito bites and itched like crazy. Those nasty suckers itched for a week, drove me up a wall. I only mentioned that cause I know you're like me and walk the beaches for pictures and that has to be where we got those. Las Animas beach was scenic and the water was clear and decent for swimming. We didn't snorkel here, so I don't know if this would be a decent snorkeling area or not.

Hope this helps and if you have any questions, please feel free to ask. It was a long time ago, but I do have a fairly good memory of what we did. I just hope someone who was there more recently that also loves beaches can help out with updated information. I need a redo of this itinerary since it is pretty and different from the Caribbean and I'd love to have the freedom to take unlimited pictures.

+1 for Stone Island in Mazatlan. We spent the day there on our cruise in October and it was a wonderfully relaxing beach day for us.

We love Las Caletas in PV. It's an excursion, but well worth it in our opinion. You are taken by boat to a private tropical island where there's plenty of water/beach activities, or you can simply lounge on the beautiful beach. Drinks and a Mexican lunch are included with this excursion.

We like Medano Beach in Cabo..

So tell me more please. Why did you like Stone Island? I see a lot of people liking it but when I google pictures of the place....hmmm....it doesn't look very pretty from the beach to the water to the places along there. Am I missing something? Is there snorkeling there? What makes that place the one you like? How long does it take to get there?

Las Caletas-oh yes, I did forget about this place mentioned. It does look very pretty. You said you did an excursion there, are you talking about a ship excursion? Is that the only way to get there? How long did they allow you to stay there? How long did it take to get there? Any snorkeling there?

Medano Beach-I have seen this place mentioned before. The beach does look pretty. Any snorkeling there? Is it close to the port (from a few pictures I have seen it looked like the cruise ship is off in the distance). Do they have chairs that will be up by the water? Most pictures I am looking at, the chairs are far away.

Thanks in advance for any additional info you can provide.

Las Caletas-oh yes, I did forget about this place mentioned. It does look very pretty. You said you did an excursion there, are you talking about a ship excursion? Is that the only way to get there? How long did they allow you to stay there? How long did it take to get there? Any snorkeling there?

Yes, there's some kind of arrangement with the tour company so you can only book through the ship.

BTW I love your reviews. :)

So tell me more please. Why did you like Stone Island? I see a lot of people liking it but when I google pictures of the place....hmmm....it doesn't look very pretty from the beach to the water to the places along there. Am I missing something? Is there snorkeling there? What makes that place the one you like? How long does it take to get there?

For us, Stone Island is all about the relaxing laid back vibe that we get there. We just enjoy spending the day under our favorite palapa at Molokay restaurant enjoying lunch and cocktails. The beach is very nice, and there are always many folks enjoying activities (including snorkeling) in the water. There are several ways to get there, but we walk (about 4 blocks) from the cruise terminal to the water taxi stand (about $2 US each way to the island).

Beautifully gorgeous, relaxing day in paradise! Yes, ship's excursion... it's the only way to enjoy this one because of an arrangement between the cruise lines and the excursion vendor (Vallarta Adventures). I know you have said that you don't do ship excursions, but this one might be worth bending your rule for. Snorkeling, as well as many other water activities are available there. The boat ride from the mainland to the island takes about an hour, and they provide entertainment on board with an open bar. Each time we have gone they gave us about 3-4 hours on the beach IIRC before returning to the ship.

Medano Beach-I have seen this place mentioned before. The beach does look pretty. Any snorkeling there? Is it close to the port (from a few pictures I have seen it looked like the cruise ship is off in the distance). Do they have chairs that will be up by the water? Most pictures I am looking at, the chairs are far away.

Remember that Cabo is a tender port, so it's about a 15 min boat ride from where the ship anchors to the tender pier. Medano beach is within walking distance of the tender pier, but it's a relatively long walk, and it's usually quite warm there in April. You can also take a land taxi, water taxi or pedicab to the beach. There is snorkeling at Medano, but again, we go for the relaxation and to enjoy the beach. Not sure about chairs on the beach, but it can probably be arranged with some negotiation. :)

if you go on YouTube and search "scuba Cabo excursion" or other ports, you can see people's videos of the dives. It is NOT the pretty caribbean coral reefs, it is more rocks with growth on them, and still lots of fish, maybe sea lions depending on sites. Yes, water will be colder so you will all want to rent wetsuits of some sort. I recommend 3mm fullsuits to protect skin just in case. No fire coral that I know of, but as I said, still some rocks. We haven't done diving down that far south, but lots of dives off Calif, where the topography is the same, much lower visibility.

It would be worth diving, just don't expect to see the same things as Caribbean.

robin

Yes, there's some kind of arrangement with the tour company so you can only book through the ship.

BTW I love your reviews. :)

Well crap. The only time I do ship excursions are in cases like this. I guess I will have to consider it if I want to go there. It's very expensive at $139 per adult and $99 for a child. Yikes! $377 just for us 3 to go there and that wouldn't include if my extended family decides to come this time around. At least they give you 7 hours (which is probably the most time I have ever seen on a ship sponsored tour). How long does it take to get there?

Can anyone comment on the snorkeling there please?

Just wondering...on the way to Las Caletas, do they give you a "tour" like is it in the direction of the arch?

For Puerto Vallarta, take a look at Yelapa. You can get there by water taxi. Timing is important because they run on a schedule.

Www.yelapa.info

That looks really pretty but I'm not sure I'm willing to be on such a tight schedule.

For us, Stone Island is all about the relaxing laid back vibe that we get there. We just enjoy spending the day under our favorite palapa at Molokay restaurant enjoying lunch and cocktails. The beach is very nice, and there are always many folks enjoying activities (including snorkeling) in the water. There are several ways to get there, but we walk (about 4 blocks) from the cruise terminal to the water taxi stand (about $2 US each way to the island).

I ended up watching several videos on YouTube yesterday of this place and the one thing I noticed on almost all of them are the abundance amount of vendors. Like almost all the videos people took had them walking around disturbing people on the beach (and even at a restaurant) trying to sell things. This gets VERY annoying to me. Although a simple "no" should do, they have a tendency to be pushy at time and come back over and over and that's when I'll snap. It's the one thing that ticks me off is pushy vendors that just won't leave you alone to enjoy your time there. I also seen vendors with iguana's and them basically putting them on people and yelling "take a picture"....of course we all know they want money for that. I don't like someone putting something on me without asking. I won't pay you for doing that so don't try it and don't give something shiny to my child and think she's going to get money out of me either. It won't work and if you make her cry because you yanked it from her, we're gonna have issues (this has happened before of course and left a sour taste in my mouth for vendors). #endofrant :')

Beautifully gorgeous, relaxing day in paradise! Yes, ship's excursion... it's the only way to enjoy this one because of an arrangement between the cruise lines and the excursion vendor (Vallarta Adventures). I know you have said that you don't do ship excursions, but this one might be worth bending your rule for. Snorkeling, as well as many other water activities are available there. The boat ride from the mainland to the island takes about an hour, and they provide entertainment on board with an open bar. Each time we have gone they gave us about 3-4 hours on the beach IIRC before returning to the ship.

Well then, I may have to consider it and that's usually the only way I will consider a ship excursion. One hour ride...sigh. The tour says 7 hours and with it taking 1 hour to get there and 1 hour back, is it possible they give you 5 hours on the beach? That would be awesome.

How's the snorkeling there? Did you explore the "jungle". Any info you might have would be great.

Thanks

Remember that Cabo is a tender port, so it's about a 15 min boat ride from where the ship anchors to the tender pier. Medano beach is within walking distance of the tender pier, but it's a relatively long walk, and it's usually quite warm there in April. You can also take a land taxi, water taxi or pedicab to the beach. There is snorkeling at Medano, but again, we go for the relaxation and to enjoy the beach. Not sure about chairs on the beach, but it can probably be arranged with some negotiation. :)

I will keep this beach in mind. I'm thinking I just might want to use this port as a day for either whale watching, whale shark swimming or sea lions. I'm still researching this.

I really appreciate you comments/thoughts/expertise/suggestions. Thanks!

if you go on YouTube and search "scuba Cabo excursion" or other ports, you can see people's videos of the dives. It is NOT the pretty caribbean coral reefs, it is more rocks with growth on them, and still lots of fish, maybe sea lions depending on sites. Yes, water will be colder so you will all want to rent wetsuits of some sort. I recommend 3mm fullsuits to protect skin just in case. No fire coral that I know of, but as I said, still some rocks. We haven't done diving down that far south, but lots of dives off Calif, where the topography is the same, much lower visibility.

It would be worth diving, just don't expect to see the same things as Caribbean.

robin

Hiya Robin. I was hoping you might chime in on this subject. It's funny, I did just this last night and was watching some dive videos and honestly....it did not impress me. All the ones that I found seem to have hardly any clarity or awesome things to see. With my comfort level in diving so far, I think this probably is not a good fit for me if it's not really clear like the Caribbean. I think we will probably have to sit this cruise out from diving. (BTW, Sakari is officially a "master" PADI seal and completed her course with her instructor talking about just how good she is and they are very impressed with her skills.). :D

We are leaving in a week to do this same cruise ...we have done it before and just got off the Jade for ten days in the Caribbean ....and we love to snorkel ....So your expectations on water clarity have to be adjusted lol ....it is very different ...we have done a snorkel in Puerta Valarta before and it was chilly and not a lot to see ...So this trip we are heading to Stone Island for a little beach time ...cheap day for us ....Whale watching in Vallarta ...and wandering along the beach and Marina in Cabo ....we have used Vallarta adventures many times and they are a great company....I loved my day in Las Caletas .....paddle boarding and kayaking are free ...and the booze flows freely ...it is a great way to spend the day .....

Hiya Robin. I was hoping you might chime in on this subject. It's funny, I did just this last night and was watching some dive videos and honestly....it did not impress me. All the ones that I found seem to have hardly any clarity or awesome things to see. With my comfort level in diving so far, I think this probably is not a good fit for me if it's not really clear like the Caribbean. I think we will probably have to sit this cruise out from diving. (BTW, Sakari is officially a "master" PADI seal and completed her course with her instructor talking about just how good she is and they are very impressed with her skills.). :D

congrats to Sakari!

I really didn't think you would enjoy the diving on that cruise due to the visuals. We have done over a dozen dives off the Channel Islands in Calif (see photos and videos on my site) and it is fabulous with the kelp, tiny nudibranchs and crazy garibaldi fish! But the water is 50s-60s-70s and a 7mm suit or drysuit is needed to enjoy. Not what you are looking for, and visibility there is 40' on a good day. It is a whole different kind of diving from the Caribbean.

Ron and I have been considering doing the same itinerary for a cruise, but just haven't done it yet. Its on the list. We would probably dive at Cabo just to check it out once. But there are so many other places we want to go....so it keeps getting moved down the list. I guess we will wait to see how your trip goes then decide. LOL

robin

We are leaving in a week to do this same cruise ...we have done it before and just got off the Jade for ten days in the Caribbean ....and we love to snorkel ....So your expectations on water clarity have to be adjusted lol ....it is very different ...we have done a snorkel in Puerta Valarta before and it was chilly and not a lot to see ...So this trip we are heading to Stone Island for a little beach time ...cheap day for us ....Whale watching in Vallarta ...and wandering along the beach and Marina in Cabo ....we have used Vallarta adventures many times and they are a great company....I loved my day in Las Caletas .....paddle boarding and kayaking are free ...and the booze flows freely ...it is a great way to spend the day .....

Is whale watching better in PV than Cabo? I seem to see a majority of people talk about doing this mostly in Cabo.

Glad you hear you enjoyed Las Caletas. I think we might go with that even though it's a pretty big expensive. It does sound worth it. I guess they have to make up for the free flowing booze. :')

Have a wonderful time on your cruise next week and thanks for your response!

congrats to Sakari!

I really didn't think you would enjoy the diving on that cruise due to the visuals. We have done over a dozen dives off the Channel Islands in Calif (see photos and videos on my site) and it is fabulous with the kelp, tiny nudibranchs and crazy garibaldi fish! But the water is 50s-60s-70s and a 7mm suit or drysuit is needed to enjoy. Not what you are looking for, and visibility there is 40' on a good day. It is a whole different kind of diving from the Caribbean.

Ron and I have been considering doing the same itinerary for a cruise, but just haven't done it yet. Its on the list. We would probably dive at Cabo just to check it out once. But there are so many other places we want to go....so it keeps getting moved down the list. I guess we will wait to see how your trip goes then decide. LOL

robin

I would just love to see some nudibranchs and those garibaldi fish are beautiful! I have never heard of them. But the visibility would probably keep me from seeing most things. My eyesight is not the greatest and in cloudy water...it would probably be worse. Maybe I'll get lucky and see some if I can find a snorkeling spot. But then again, who knows. I'm just going to have to think of this cruise as a laid back beach day instead of a "fish" day like most of the time. That way if I manage to see anything, I'll be amazed.

I completely understand the moving places down the list thing. I have been moving an Alaskan cruise down my list for years. Although I really want to see it and the different types of animals it would bring, I just hate the cold. :')

I HIGHLY recommend the Alaska trip. When we were there, in mid-June, it was sunny and warmer than you would think. It was 60s-70s and very pleasant. The only time we got cold was when we went up high, like the helicopter up to hike on the glacier. There is was incredibly cold but they gave you the outer shell clothing to put over your own, plus the spikes on your boots. It was worth it and only 2 hours up there. It was a little chilly on the glacier small boat tour, only because we were outdoors at water level speeding through a fjord. Really, hat and gloves with jacket and you were fine. Really oooohhh aahhhh moments like nowhere else.

The garibaldi are big, like 6"-12" long, and in your face...they are damsel fish, just like the ones you see in Caribbean, but bigger. The nudies you need a dive light and good dive buddies to find them. They are little treasure hunts. No kidding, once you figure out how to find them, you start seeing them everywhere, and Calif divers are nuts about them, so everyone is pointing them out to you. It is fun....but as I said water is cold. Brrrrr cold. The kelp forest is gorgeous but I don't consider it beginner diving at all. If you do want to see those critters, you need to get certified.

Back to the cruise you are booked for....LOL..... whale watching season is Dec-March I think. But they might be there anytime, just not guaranteed. In summers they are up in Alaska....another reason to go on that Alaska cruise. From our cruise ship, every day, you could look out the window and see them. Sometimes singles, sometimes pods of different types and the "Naturalist" onboard would come over the speakers and tell everyone what she was seeing and which side of boat. People would run to windows, including the ship staff... it was funny at times.

After talking to a few people, listening to what the people on here are telling me about the water, and talking to my TA, I'm REALLY having second thoughts about this cruise. I really do cruise for the heat, beaches and water. If the water is cold, very little visibility and rough, I'm honestly not sure this is a match for us at this time. At this point, the only thing I'm excited about would be whale watching (some sites say until April 15th, but of course there's no guarantee on that) or swimming with the whale sharks/sea lions. But other than that, I'm just not too thrilled with the thoughts of this cruise now. :o

I may be checking into changing to something else that would be more enjoyable to us. I just don't know. :(

I just hate the cold. :')

But you live in Ohio! Lol! ;p

j/k of course.. +1 on recommending the Alaska cruise. IMO, all cruisers should do this one at least once. We did it in May, and it wasn't that cold at all; a little chilly and rainy, but not too cold.

After talking to a few people, listening to what the people on here are telling me about the water, and talking to my TA, I'm REALLY having second thoughts about this cruise. I really do cruise for the heat, beaches and water. If the water is cold, very little visibility and rough, I'm honestly not sure this is a match for us at this time. At this point, the only thing I'm excited about would be whale watching (some sites say until April 15th, but of course there's no guarantee on that) or swimming with the whale sharks/sea lions. But other than that, I'm just not too thrilled with the thoughts of this cruise now. :o

I may be checking into changing to something else that would be more enjoyable to us. I just don't know. :(

Air temps may be warm enough for you in April, so don't let that be discouraging.

Water temps are going to be cooler than you would think.

There are lots of excursions (check online with the cruise ship) to see what they offer. Different things, not just beach or snorkeling.

We did a nice catamaran/snorkeling excursion in Cabo in mid-April. We did a ship excursion as we had our kids with us and wanted more supervision than going it on our own (as my husband and I did a different time on a beach where the little water taxis were constantly coming in and out). I thought the fish and coral we saw were wonderful, and my daughter loved it once she got over her fear of getting in the water.

But you live in Ohio! Lol! ;p

j/k of course.. +1 on recommending the Alaska cruise. IMO, all cruisers should do this one at least once. We did it in May, and it wasn't that cold at all; a little chilly and rainy, but not too cold.

I know...it sucks and I think just about every winter since I was young all I have ever talked about is getting out of here. I'm very cold nature and It has to be at least in the high 70's for me to be warm. I swear I have ice in my veins. :D

Air temps may be warm enough for you in April, so don't let that be discouraging.

Water temps are going to be cooler than you would think.

There are lots of excursions (check online with the cruise ship) to see what they offer. Different things, not just beach or snorkeling.

Yea, I'm just not looking forward to this at all. I really think I'll cancel. We need to decide by tomorrow I guess.

Robin...have you ever been to Granada and scuba at the underwater sculpture park?