Insignia Cuba cruise December 1st

happycruisingUK

Our last day ashore was yesterday in Santiago de Cuba. No problems going through immigration, just a cursory glance at passports. They took the visas and gave us a transit token to get back to the ship.

No mention of one very important topic: conversion of leftover CUCs back into EUR, GBP, CDN or whatever currency you exchanged upon arrival in Havana. Were there exchange facilities dockside or nearby in Santiago de Cuba as you headed back to Insignia?

We're aboard Insignia now, about to leave Havana, and haven't seen this information posted either on this thread or the prior one for the 11/24 cruise. Did I miss something?

Any info from anyone on the 12/1 or earlier cruise will be appreciated by us and by any other CC readers currently aboard. Thanks!

No mention of one very important topic: conversion of leftover CUCs back into EUR, GBP, CDN or whatever currency you exchanged upon arrival in Havana. Were there exchange facilities dockside or nearby in Santiago de Cuba as you headed back to Insignia?

We're aboard Insignia now, about to leave Havana, and haven't seen this information posted either on this thread or the prior one for the 11/24 cruise. Did I miss something?

Any info from anyone on the 12/1 or earlier cruise will be appreciated by us and by any other CC readers currently aboard. Thanks!

Maybe a staff member would have that information.

No mention of one very important topic: conversion of leftover CUCs back into EUR, GBP, CDN or whatever currency you exchanged upon arrival in Havana. Were there exchange facilities dockside or nearby in Santiago de Cuba as you headed back!

The port lecturer said (and showed a picture of) that all we have to do is stop at the cadeca at the Santiago port terminal to change money back.

Maybe a staff member would have that information.

Yes, that thought had occurred to me already. Answer from Destination Services: "Um, maybe.....I think." That's why I posted here.

Many thanks to the subsequent posters who provided more useful responses.

Edited by DrHemlock

We spent all our CUCs while ashore, but we were told we could change them in Santiago on our way back to the ship. No currencies were mentioned so we assumed dollars only, but there were only 20 non Americans on board with us so we were in a minority! Definitely can change back to dollars though.

We were on the 12/1 cruise also. We took Euros to avoid the U.S.$ penalty, no problem in Havana changing Euros. But in Santiago, they only had dollars to convert back to, not Euros. I think we got 1 for 1. They said that they might have Euros in Santiago at some future time.

We were on the 12/1 cruise also. We took Euros to avoid the U.S.$ penalty, no problem in Havana changing Euros. But in Santiago, they only had dollars to convert back to, not Euros. I think we got 1 for 1. They said that they might have Euros in Santiago at some future time.

How much did they charge you to exchange the Euros? How many CUC would you get for 100euro?

How much did they charge you to exchange the Euros? How many CUC would you get for 100euro?

All currencies except US dollars are charged a fee of 3%. US dollars are charged a fee of 13%. I've been told that a fee of 3% is charged for all currencies to change back (I haven't left yet). We used Canadian dollars, not Euros.

Of course, all of this discussion of changing Euro or CAD instead of US $ to avoid extra charges assumes that one got the Euro or CAD without a fee (as in left over Euro/CAD for US citizens from a trip or currency from ATMs that do not charge you fees because banks definitely do).

Or already have CAD $ as we live in Canada (convenient, eh) Glad we did not have to purchase USD

Note to those wanting to sell CUC back. as you head out for the day check the time the currency exchanges closes that night. We were warned by the ship that the currency exchange would be closing earlier on that day (I forgot the time) and we were to sail away long after that. Those out in the evening could have a little unexpected current as a souvenir. A couple of vendors stayed open a little later to catch us late arrivals.

Of course, all of this discussion of changing Euro or CAD instead of US $ to avoid extra charges assumes that one got the Euro or CAD without a fee (as in left over Euro/CAD for US citizens from a trip or currency from ATMs that do not charge you fees because banks definitely do).

My brokerage debit card reimbursed me for any ATM fees and gives a very good exchange rate. But there are no ATMs in Cuba. I got euros on my last cruise to Europe. So I’m trying to figure out what the exchange rate is exclusive of the 3% fee. Anyone know?

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

We're from US but our bank didn't charge a fee to buy CAD. We'll change back to US dollars in Santiago.

We're from US but our bank didn't charge a fee to buy CAD. We'll change back to US dollars in Santiago.

No fee but what was the exchange rate?

Banks are rarely known to make transactions without making a profit one way or another (and why shouldn’t they make a profit) :D

If your bank gave you CAD at the official rate and no fee - it’s a win/win for you and you are smart to take advantage of that.

I was on the Insignia that sailed on November 14 and posted earlier about our embarkation. I just read through these posts and wanted to add a few things about the ports that may be helpful. In Cienfuegos, we took a tour that included a 45 minute ride to a fort. It was interesting if you like forts and gives you an idea how they defended themselves. It gave us an opportunity to see the very poor countryside with horse drawn plows etc. On each of our ship tours, there was some type of "people to people" interaction. Usually, it was listening to musicians, and then the dancers engage a few people to join them. Here we heard the Cienfuegos Symphony Orchestra. Then lunch ran late and we missed our walking tour. We did get to see the main square and I'm not sure how much else there is to see. We took one private Jewish tour tour in Havana (in addition to the vintage car tour and the show). After it was over, our driver was able to take us to Fusterland, which I wanted to see. A ceramic artist decorated his home and surrounding areas with funky designs. We enjoyed seeing it but it is small and a distance away. I later heard that people on the art tour went and it was closed! Heard a similar story about the people on the cigar and rum tour where they only got to do one thing. This may all be corrected as they become more familiar with Cuba. In Santiago de Cuba, we had a very good tour of the city center, local music, fortress, and San Juan Hill. We felt completely safe and frequently heard "we love Americans", "come back, bring friends". Port Antonio, Jamaica was our only rainy day. We walked into town but there is nothing there. The beaches are quite a distance away.

We have cruised a lot but this was our first time on Insignia. We liked it and had only minor complaints, but we expected to be "wowed" and we were not. We heard from several people that the larger Insignia ships are better. On both nights that we went to shows, the staff at the buffet line and grill were overwhelmed as everyone was eating at the same time.

Sent from my iPad using Forums

That s the best news yet..think we ll just do that.If shore exc.guides take dollars as tips and we rarely buy much, best solution. No lines,no hassle,no exchange. Thanks.

I wouldn't count on that unless you're only planning to go to touristy places or big hotels. We've been going to places where locals go (small shops, small food venues and even a little beauty shop) and only CUC's are taken. Also, many private tour guides/drivers and classic car drivers want local money.

Edited by Go-Bucks!