Tight Schedule - Denali or Kenai Fjords

AnchoredInHope

We will be disembarking the Star Princess in Whittier on a Saturday morning and plan on flying out late on Sunday night (11:59pm). We have not booked this flight yet, so we have the flexibility to fly out of Anchorage or Fairbanks depending on what we decide on doing.

We were planning on doing a one-way car rental and making a trip to Denali but I am getting discouraged perhaps there is not enough time and am wondering whether we should do Kenai Fjords instead. The ice fields at Kenai look awesome but perhaps we will get enough of this type of activity on the cruise and we should go to Denali for the diversity?

If we did go to Denali we would try to get off the ship ASAP Saturday, drive to Denai, maybe do some quick wandering around that late afternoon/evening based on what is accessible by car, and then the next morning do one of the bus trips before leaving for the Fairbanks airport. Is this pushing it? Is the scenery on the way up to Denali worth the longer car ride so that we won't feel like we are "wasting time" driving?

Denali is pretty amazing, but I just don't think you have the time to do it justice. Maybe... I guess it would depend on your flight time out of Fairbanks. To see the best of the park, you want to take the shuttle bus to at least the Eielson Visitor Center. https://www.nps.gov/dena/planyourvisit/shuttles.htm It's an 8 hour day if you don't get off to hike. So if you were on the first bus, you'd be done at 3pm. Then a couple of hours to Fairbanks, assuming no road construction or other delays.

Or... You could with maybe a trip to the Matanuska Glacier, overnight there and then fly out of Anchorage the next day.

What month is your trip?

I live in Fairbanks, and I think you are pushing it. And I agree with AKStafford that folks need to go into the park as far as Eielson Visitor's Center to maximize the wildlife viewing opportunities; the shuttle trip into EVC is 8 hours round trip. The drive from Denali to Fairbanks, assuming no delays for road construction and virtually no stops, is about 2.25 to 2.5 hours. You would need to be at the Fairbanks airport two hours before the flight departs.

I would plan on Seward instead of Denali. The timing is just too tight to see much.

If renting a car, you can stop at the Alaska Wildlife Center, Aleskya and Exit Glacier on the way to Seward. If still open when you arrive, you could also tour the Alaska SeaLife Center.

After staying overnight in Seward, take a Kenai Fjords cruise the next day. I recommend one of the longer cruises 8-9, that gets you closer to a glacier.

The drive back to the Anchorage airport is about 3 hours. This would put you at the airport by 9:00 pm. That should be enough time to get through security and grab a bite to eat before your flight at 11:59 pm.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

You're pushing it, but I'd do it anyway. Denali is special and unlike other places in Alaska for seeing wildlife. If you get off by around 8am, rent the car, and drive to Denali, it's about 8-9 hours with stops for food and a little sightseeing. You would be up early the next morning to get a shuttle into the park and then out by around 4pm. It's a 2-3 hour drive to Fairbanks from there. I assume you're on a redeye and not leaving until around 10pm or later. It's a long haul, but there is no traffic on the roads after about Wasilla and some great scenery.

This would be weather dependent. If the forecast was rain, I'd skip it.

Even though extremely tight, I think I would try for Denali and then fly out of Fairbanks. That's assuming you have a late night flight out of Fairbanks. I'd go for that over Kenai. Mostly so you get to see some of the interior (and Denali Park is incredible, even if the mountain isn't "out"). Going to Seward is similar to what you've experienced on the ship. That said, it might be perfect as a way to unwind and relax a bit before your flight out the following evening.

If you do decide on Denali, I would pre-purchase the tickets from the park for the bus since you are time dependent and can't risk needing to take a later bus because the earlier ones are sold out. And yes, I also agree it is best to go to Eielson.

This is a marathon road trip, that is not ideal. I think, It's essential, you rent a costly one way car from Avis, Whittier to Fairbanks. The price will likely come in very high. So a factor to determine. Along with the flight options out of Fairbanks- including costs. You should be out of Whittier with the 9am tunnel, so have time for some Arm viewing. I find the Parks Highway, pretty dull for me, and certainly not one of Alaska's Highlights. A lot of trees and more trees.

Nothing I would ever consider, but I'm in Alaska frequently. It's essential, you book the shuttle bus- into to park to at least Eielson, in my opinion. The whole point is to get INTO the park, not just drive by.

Edited by Budget Queen

Consider the “regret” factor. Which would you regret missing later? A. Doing a marathon high cost drive to and beyond Denali, with an eight-hour bus ride in the middle, but you never see the mountain because of low clouds and you only get glimpses of the wildlife. or B. Doing a possibly rough boat ride into some beautiful country, whales, sea lions etc along the way? By the way, even if you go to Seward and the weather is too rough to do the boat ride, there is always the nearby Edge Glacier which is a destination in its own right. You may see that my vote is for Seward.

All other things equal, I would spend several days in/around Denali. But gambling on getting a day of good weather with no Plan B except to keep driving... I would look for a good time on or around Kenai.

Thank you all for the helpful feedback! I have a lot to be thinking about!

We will be getting off the ship on June 30. Curious how that plays into all of this!

Many people plan their trip to Denali in May only to find out the park road (all the way in) does not open until June 1st.

I guess if it was me, I'd go for the trip to Denali and grab a late flight out of Fairbanks. There is some beautiful scenery between Whittier and Denali and also between Denali and Fairbanks. The only issue is the weather. If it's overcast or rainy most of the scenery will be gone.

Hmmm... Kenai in early July. Thousands of people, combat fishing, traffic jams, the Seward highway closed for hours if there's an accident. No thanks!

My point exactly! And 4th of July is Wednesday this year, so weekends on either side are going to be crazy on the Kenai Peninsula.