Wifes Medical Issues

Life_Traveler

Well i have a cruise that starts tomorrow. We have been nervous for the past two weeks whether we would even go or not because my wife just got diagnosed with Bursitis in her Hip and can not stand more than 5 to 10 minutes without a lot of pain. I am hoping to be able to get her allowed to Muster with the wheel chair people but have never done this. How do i go about getting her permission to do this as there is no way she could stand outside for muster. I of course will go to the normal muster station.

Thanks

When you board, tell them your wife has a medical issue...you probably won't get a wheelchair to use, but they will put you at someplace where she can sit.

I hope she's on anti-inflammatories....works wonders! I've had it...feels like ground up glass in the joint! Ouch!

Well i have a cruise that starts tomorrow. We have been nervous for the past two weeks whether we would even go or not because my wife just got diagnosed with Bursitis in her Hip and can not stand more than 5 to 10 minutes without a lot of pain. I am hoping to be able to get her allowed to Muster with the wheel chair people but have never done this. How do i go about getting her permission to do this as there is no way she could stand outside for muster. I of course will go to the normal muster station. Thanks

I understand that your cruise is moments away, however I suggest immediately contacting the special needs department at Carnival and wrangling a rental wheelchair for the duration of your cruise. While your dear wife may not need to use day in and day out, the length of a cruise ship is incredible, and just waiting for an elevator could be the time noted in your post. Peace of mind, rent a wheelchair today. At the very least hit up a large drug store and grab one of those walkers with a seat.

You'll both be thankful you did.

Thanks. she doesn't want a wheel chair just somewhere to sit. as for the anti-inflammatory, she is hoping to get them today as we are in a small town area and they didn't have her medication on hand. Shes at the doctors now trying to get a weeks worth for the cruise. I think she is fighting through this for me as i dont think it will be that enjoyably for her. She has been having tests done for two weeks but just got diagnosed with it yesterday.

I will echo getting a rollator. It will give her something to lean on or into when she walks, which may take some of the pressure off and will provide a seat for when she needs to wait. You can get one for about $100.

As far as the muster drill is concerned, it is handled differently on different ships. Some ships will have a specific muster location for those with mobility issues, others will have you go to your regular station where they will note your issue and excuse you from the portion of the drill where you have to go stand at the lifeboats.

You should call the Special Needs Department today and get her mobility issue noted on your reservation, as well as stopping by GS once you board to be certain that she is taken care of as far as the muster drill is concerned.

You might note that sometimes the boarding process is long and requires a bit of starting and stopping. If she does not get a rollator, you might consider requesting wheelchair assistance for her during the boarding process. This is easily accomplished by stopping the first employee you see and asking about it. The will get her into a wheelchair and push her up during boarding and get her on the ship without the possible pain of the long, steep, start-and-stop walk.

I have one of those medical conditions that is invisible to the eye, when muster drill starts, I just ask one of the staff where I need to go and they direct me--no questions asked. It is usually in the library.

My DH can't stand for long periods either. I always go to Guest Services soon after boarding and ask where handicapped muster will be. That way we can avoid the rush, get to the place and settle in a few minutes early.

You do plan on having wheelchair assistance for embarkation day and the last day disembarkation? It makes a would of difference for DH who would still be struggling up the long ramps long after the ship sailed :) They have a ship employee push you on board with a ship-owned wheelchair. We normally have them drop us off in the Lido dining area and off they go ... the pusher and the chair.

DH and I understand your wife not wanting to have a wheelchair full time on the cruise. I believe DH has a fear that if he ever starts using a chair that will be the end of his walking days. It may sound irrational to those of you who do not have mobility issues but it's a real fear for some of those that do.

Go to Guest Services when you arrive. They will take care of you. You should have nothing to worry t. I also vote get the walker. Better safe than sorry. You will have a great cruise. Don't worry. If not I hope you have the insurance.

I had a bout with bursitis, and can appreciate the pain your wife is experiencing. A cortisone shot in my hip joint (ouch!) did wonders for me. Bursitis is often caused by overuse, so your wife needs to avoid overdoing it during the recovery period. I second the advice to get some kind of mobility assistance device. Best of luck to both of you.

Roz

Well i have a cruise that starts tomorrow. We have been nervous for the past two weeks whether we would even go or not because my wife just got diagnosed with Bursitis in her Hip and can not stand more than 5 to 10 minutes without a lot of pain. I am hoping to be able to get her allowed to Muster with the wheel chair people but have never done this. How do i go about getting her permission to do this as there is no way she could stand outside for muster. I of course will go to the normal muster station.

Thanks

Just ask anyone where to meet, probably in a dining room. One person can go with her.

Sent from my Pixel XL using Tapatalk

If your DH is still opposed to a rollator or travel chair at the very least suggest a tripod cane with a flip down seat that she has the option to sit any time it might be needed. As someone that has suffered from sever knee issue since age 12 I never travel without a locking knee brace and a fold-able cane. I might not need them while traveling, but it is a lot less stressful to me just knowing if something "gives out" with my knee I won't waste time looking for or having to share equipment (from the ship, hotel, resort) that will at least allow me to get from a chair to the bathroom without another person's assistance.

I use a rollator. Go to guest services as soon as you board to ask where special needs muster is. You will go with her. The rollator will work great for standing in line on the ship, walking the length of the ship, etc. makes a great place to put her tray in the buffet too. You can pick up one at Walgreens.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

I think this time I'm going to ask for a place to sit for muster too. I grin & bear it with the standing problem, but it gets a bit much when you wait til the last minute and still have to wait 20 minutes for stragglers. I also wait til the end (near the door so I know I'm not holding anybody up) so I'm not pushed against the wall and stuck my perfume bathing people that will get me sick. Well that hasn't worked to well for me. There's always 2 more lines of people. I can't win.

Hip pain is terrible, do make sure you get a seat. I had the pain from an accident years ago and can relate.

If you asked for wheelchair assistance. The have people to push wife up to the ship. They need fit people to do that. Don’t want family members doing that. She is put on a computer list so they know about her. She can sit outside the muster station. Where you can hear the instructions. And will assign people to get her in case of emergency. Also get her off of the ship at the end of cruise if she still needs it.

Thanks

Sure they will help just ask.

Carnival was very helpful. We were on the Paradise and they mustered inside. When it came time to go outside they told her to just sit there and not leave and then they added her name to the special needs list and never once asked why. She spent most of the cruise in the Hot Tub and the Spa Sauna and it seemed to keep her pain down to a comfortable level. She now has 31 days to get feeling better before we leave on our next cruise.

I want to thank everyone for the advise. we did purchase a Stroller where there is a build in chair just in case. She never took it out of the room but it was a comfort to know she had it if needing it.