Navigator’s brown water

We are presently on the Navigator for our first Regent cruise. While many previous posts have commented on vibrations, I do not recall reading anything related to the brown tap water that we have encountered.

This issue has been happening since the ship left LA for the World Cruise. We understand that the colour is worse when the ship is not travelling at full speed.

The crew will change the filter to your suite, but the effects of the filter last for only 5 days or so.

Needless to say we were slightly taken aback that this was even an issue and wondering if others have had the same problem on previous Navigator cruises.

Thanks

Brown water has been an issue for years. Many people never experience it so it isn't mentioned often. It is the rust/sediment at the bottom of the tanks that sometimes get stirred up (at least this is what we have been told). It is supposedly harmless but it does look like it could stain clothing and I certainly would not drink it.

Besides for the brown water, I hope that you are enjoying your cruise!

I 'think' I read on these boards (from Chengkp75 who is a ship's engineer) that the brown water is due to build up of the minerals added back to the water or something like that - it wasn't rust. (Search is playing silly b's so no link). Apparently, running the water for a few minutes should clear it.

Personal experience from four extended Navigator cruises over the past 10 years--fortunately, never an issue. The luck of the draw. Next Navigator outing coming up on June 3rd--LA to NYC. Will certainly be aware if this resurfaces.

GOARMY!

StevH2508, Thanks for the information that makes a difference. Hearing TC2 (an expert on Regent) talking about rust/sediment didn't sound so good. This again is why Regent needs a person to scan/review this board to get the facts right. If you hadn't popped in, the other statement would have become a fact.

StevH2508, Thanks for the information that makes a difference. Hearing TC2 (an expert on Regent) talking about rust/sediment didn't sound so good. This again is why Regent needs a person to scan/review this board to get the facts right. If you hadn't popped in, the other statement would have become a fact.

Although we no longer sail on Navigator, I can tell you that it is a fact that there is occasional brown water on the Navigator. If the information about rust and sediment is incorrect, I obviously didn't make it up as I would not dream of such a thing. It was told to me by officers on the Navigator.

It is correct that if you run the water for a while it will go away, however, if it happens mid-shower, it isn't a very pleasant thing to rinse out of your hair.

Brown water on Navigator has been a known thing for a very long time. That said, we have cruised on Navigator a lot, and never encountered it. It seems to come and go. It is not dangerous. But obviously if your clothes are ruined because of it, that is a big problem.

Brown water on Navigator has been a known thing for a very long time. That said, we have cruised on Navigator a lot, and never encountered it. It seems to come and go. It is not dangerous. But obviously if your clothes are ruined because of it, that is a big problem.

Rachel, You are absolutely right! There even is a review about this issue in the Navigator map on CC called "Brown water at 1000 dollar a day " with photos showing the brown water......

However brown water is not unique for the Navigator. We are on the Voyager right now and have seen brown water twice this week. We got used to this phenomen and don't even report it anymore as it is quite common although reception reacted very surprised when we reported it earlier.

We noticed quite some costcutting this trip on newspapers and wine availability, but will report this later on another blog as we are doing the back to back and will be on board for a few more weeks:cool:

I've heard about the brown water on Navigator since before our first cruise on her back in 2009 and in our 26 nights on board we've only seen it once or twice...and running the water for 3-4 minutes always cleared it up for us.

I do remember reading other threads where the posters mentioned that the problem was worse for them and didn't clear up, ever. But we've rarely experienced it ourselves, luckily.

• 1 month later...
I 'think' I read on these boards (from Chengkp75 who is a ship's engineer) that the brown water is due to build up of the minerals added back to the water or something like that - it wasn't rust. (Search is playing silly b's so no link). Apparently, running the water for a few minutes should clear it.

https://boards.cruisecritic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=55978672&postcount=69

Here is Chengkp75's explanation of the brown water issue.

Although we no longer sail on Navigator, I can tell you that it is a fact that there is occasional brown water on the Navigator. If the information about rust and sediment is incorrect, I obviously didn't make it up as I would not dream of such a thing. It was told to me by officers on the Navigator.

It is correct that if you run the water for a while it will go away, however, if it happens mid-shower, it isn't a very pleasant thing to rinse out of your hair.

TC

Why do you no longer sail on Navigator? Is brown water a factor for you?

We have been on the Navigator 3 times. The most recent was October, 2017. Never had an issue with brown water.

I can say this... when washing my hair I take a few bottles of water with me into the shower to rinse my hair with to rinse out the shampoo before I apply conditioner and then again after applying conditioner. The water onboard has chemicals

in it and not good for hair.

TC

Why do you no longer sail on Navigator? Is brown water a factor for you?

That is a fair question and it does not have to do with brown water. Probably the biggest reason that we no longer sail on the Navigator is the way she handles the seas (not very well). We also miss having a forward lounge and find the interior public spaces too small. When the weather is inclement and all passengers are inside of the ship, it gets very crowded. La Veranda in particular is too small. There is only one specialty restaurant. The noise seems to travel from suite to suite more than on other ships.

Once we sailed on Silverea's Whisper (same size as Navigator with 50 less suites), we realized how lovely a ship of that size can be. However, even if Regent removed 50 suites from the Navigator, she is still a passenger ship that was built on a hull that was not meant for a passenger ship and she would still not handle the seas well.

On a positive note, the suites are larger and more spacious than on the Mariner (categories below PH) and Compass Rose is more open than either Mariner or Explorer (very similar to Voyager). She is a beautiful ship but is just not for us.

That is a fair question and it does not have to do with brown water. Probably the biggest reason that we no longer sail on the Navigator is the way she handles the seas (not very well). We also miss having a forward lounge and find the interior public spaces too small. When the weather is inclement and all passengers are inside of the ship, it gets very crowded. La Veranda in particular is too small. There is only one specialty restaurant. The noise seems to travel from suite to suite more than on other ships.

Once we sailed on Silverea's Whisper (same size as Navigator with 50 less suites), we realized how lovely a ship of that size can be. However, even if Regent removed 50 suites from the Navigator, she is still a passenger ship that was built on a hull that was not meant for a passenger ship and she would still not handle the seas well.

On a positive note, the suites are larger and more spacious than on the Mariner (categories below PH) and Compass Rose is more open than either Mariner or Explorer (very similar to Voyager). She is a beautiful ship but is just not for us.

Hi Jackie

No mention of itineraries. If Navigator had an itinerary that was intriguing, would you pick it for that? There are other Regent shops that we like better, but for us it’s mainly about where are are going. Service, food, entertainment etc are all the same on all their ships.

Sheila

Hi Jackie

No mention of itineraries. If Navigator had an itinerary that was intriguing, would you pick it for that? There are other Regent shops that we like better, but for us it’s mainly about where are are going. Service, food, entertainment etc are all the same on all their ships.

Sheila

Hi Sheila,

At this point we would not book her for itinerary. In fact, going forward, we will book only Splendor or Explorer. Although we have not been everywhere in the world, our bucket list is pretty much met and we now cruise for the ship, the crew and ports where we can do our own thing rather than take Regent excursions. After our Asian cruise, we realized that doing our own thing most of the time makes us happy. That cruise was an eye opener for us. We have a Voyager crossing booked but that is the last one on the older ships. Definitely not recommending that others do what we are doing. It is like that others may eventually get to the point where we are....... for us it took 30 years of international travel (14 via cruise ship),

Note: This is not written in stone. One can always be tempted but it would likely not be on the Navigator.

Hope that you and Herb are well!

Jackie

Hi Jackie

Sheila

That's the difference between people who want to travel and people who just go on a ship because they like the ship.