Cruise insurance Questions

ready2cruzagain

Was getting ready to purchase our insurance for our up coming cruise and can't remember if I include port fees and taxes.clear.png?emoji-confused-1977

Pretty sure they are refundable if we cancel but can't remember for sure. Oh and while I am at it, is the prepaid drink gratuities (NCL) refundable if we have to cancel? Also, we used a cruise next certificate for $250 do I include that in the insurance amount?

I only want to include things in the insurance that are nonrefundable since that is all they will refund and I am only $150 over the threshold of it costing $70 more. Trying to see if I am covering something that is not covered.

Thanks

Per guidance by our insurance broker, I only include those that are non-refundable. Other than the cruise fare, suggest that you confirm with NCL if those are non-refundable too. I guess the gratuities on drinks are refundable when package is cancelled and refunded.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

The purpose of the insurance is to make you "whole", ANY non refundable money lost is part of the claim.

Info only VAST MAJORITY of American health insurance policies WILL NOT COVER YOU IN FOREIGN COUNTRIES. Many a horror story of sick people put ashore in Mexico due to illness/injury.

ALWAYS GET IT

I too have been assured, by both the broker's agent at insuremytrip.com and a CSR at the underwriter Nationwide Insurance, that only non-refundable amounts should be included in "total cost".

If you are working with a TA who only gave you a bottom line number, I would ask for a very clear and detailed break-down. Also, keep in mind that you can get some of this information from the cruise line website by going through the process of booking the cruise directly. While the taxes will vary based on the price, the port fees will not.

The value of certificates is not insurable - only the amount you actually pay. If you received the certificates for free, or as a bonus for other unrelated transactions, then they're of no cash value were you to cancel for cause.

I too have been assured, by both the broker's agent at insuremytrip.com and a CSR at the underwriter Nationwide Insurance, that only non-refundable amounts should be included in "total cost".

If you are working with a TA who only gave you a bottom line number, I would ask for a very clear and detailed break-down. Also, keep in mind that you can get some of this information from the cruise line website by going through the process of booking the cruise directly. While the taxes will vary based on the price, the port fees will not.

The value of certificates is not insurable - only the amount you actually pay. If you received the certificates for free, or as a bonus for other unrelated transactions, then they're of no cash value were you to cancel for cause.

Thank you! This is very helpful~!