Is it risky to book maiden voyage?

bluemohio

Risky in what way?? The ship wouldnt be finished on time and they will still be doing last minute tweaks on the ship??

Dream needed some work done on ventilation...hopefully Magic will be tweaked since its sister ship is out already.

There are a few drawbacks with maiden voyage. They are the fact that the ship could be delayed and therefore the voyage canceled, just like a new home that there could be various problems on the first voyage and also that the crew is getting used to the ship as much as the passengers so things don't always work so well.

But there is the excitement of being the first on the ships maden voyage.

Keith

Cruise Critic is full of posts by passengers on maiden voyages with numerous complaints. I think a ship and its crew need time to "gel" as a team, and most initial problems are worked out over time. That said, if you're a person who cruises with high expectations and expects perfection, you may be disappointed. I'm booked on the Carnival Magic's last Med cruise before it does the Transatlantic to Galveston. I figure by that time any bugs will be worked out.

Roz

I would not book an inaugural cruise or choose to cruise on a new ship for the first 4-5 months after launch. I've read plenty of reviews of new ships and there are indeed issues with unfinished work, undelivered goods (no deck chairs, anyone?), and service snafus with long waits, especially in the dining rooms.

No thanks!!

I was booked on the maiden of Crystal Serenity in 2003. It was a 14 day Baltic cruise. About two weeks before the cruise was to depart, everyone booked got a special delivery letter telling them that the ship needed to go back into drydock for some tweaking, and the ship, might not be up to Crystal's standards with regards to having the ship completely stocked. We were given the option of canceling the cruise and getting a full refund or still taking the cruise and getting the refund. Well, guess what we did? A free 14 day cruise on Crystal is unheard of but we did it.

I was booked on the maiden of Crystal Serenity in 2003. It was a 14 day Baltic cruise. About two weeks before the cruise was to depart, everyone booked got a special delivery letter telling them that the ship needed to go back into drydock for some tweaking, and the ship, might not be up to Crystal's standards with regards to having the ship completely stocked. We were given the option of canceling the cruise and getting a full refund or still taking the cruise and getting the refund. Well, guess what we did? A free 14 day cruise on Crystal is unheard of but we did it.

Now that's a deal you couldn't refuse! :D

Just curious -- how was the cruise?

I was on the maiden voyage of the Carnival Freedom in 2007. I probably wouldn't book another one for various reasons.

Not all of the public spaces were fully set up. Many of the bars weren't fully stocked (the crew has to get on 2 weeks before the 1st cruise to do this and it just doesn't all get done)

I thought that the ship would be in perfect condition, but infact there were still stickers on the windows, lights being installed, carpet being laid.

Since everyone on the crew are new to the ship and have not worked together before they don't have their routines down. It's particularly obvious in the MDR, the sync between the waiter and his assistant just isn't there. And because they are just getting to know each other and are maybe seeing friends from other ships they've serve together on, they tend to stand around talking to each other a lot.

I had a great time, but if you decide to book one you might want to lower your expectations a bit.

Cruise Critic is full of posts by passengers on maiden voyages with numerous complaints. I think a ship and its crew need time to "gel" as a team, and most initial problems are worked out over time. That said, if you're a person who cruises with high expectations and expects perfection, you may be disappointed. I'm booked on the Carnival Magic's last Med cruise before it does the Transatlantic to Galveston. I figure by that time any bugs will be worked out.

Roz

When is the last sail? the third sail on 5/22 fits my schedule the best but I am still wary

I am thinking of booking a cruise on the Carnival Magic in May 2011 in Europe, but it will be its first voyages. Is this risky? Love the opinions of someone who has done this.

Don't look for me, I won't book another.

After I had booked a maiden on an NCL ship I met a man who worked for a cruiseline. When I told him I had a booking, he said he had done some and wouldn't go again unless paid.

Result of mine: No perks or memorials or any kind of mention it was brand new. Even though her sistership was a year old, total chaos in the main dining room which had been "designed for freestyle cruising" according to NCL. A few minor things that should be taken care of, and some were during the cruise. Not a really bad cruise, just one that should have had a discount.

The same resoning applies to ships just out of drydock. Read some threads on the Holland America site!

We also won't book another Inaugural cruise. We were on the Inaugural of HAL's Eurodam for 23 days. We expected the problems others have mentioned (ship not being completely finished, the crew not used to working together, some brand new crew...) and our expectations were met. ;) We didn't have a problems with any of this, we'd looked at the Inaugural as an 'adventure'. What we didn't expect was to be treated as 'inconveniences' by the CCL and HAL upper management.

We were only paying passengers and in the way of the VIPs. As an example, we sat one night for 20-minutes past the start of the after dinner show. We just sat there, cooling our heels, as the heads of CCL, HAL and their guests that evening in the private dining room hadn't finished their dinner. The show was held for them. Also, expect areas of the ship to be closed frequently for 'Private Parties' for the VIPs.

As you are considering another CCL ship, I wouldn't expect any better treatment from Mickey.

I was accidentally on the maiden voyage of the Oosterdam. It was supposed to have been the third voyage but the ship was not completed in time for the first two sailings. I did not notice crew problems and unfinished areas others have mentioned, but I am less observant than other people, just happy to be cruising.

We were booked on the inaugural of Grand Princess for our honeymoon and less than 1 week before sailing yes we got the call it wasn't going to be ready.Luckily we had a awesome travel agent at the time who got us on for 3 weeks later but this time it was going from Barcelona instead of England so airfares had to be changed as well.

Yes we were compensated but was it worth it -definetly not !!!!!

I have not been on a maiden voyage but going on a ship (Pacific Jewel) that had her re-fit (re-name etc) less than 12 months ago so have read lots about the after re-fit maiden voyage.

It seems that it depends a lot on the staff.

For example, the Jewel as eat anytime policy and half of the staff had worked on other ships in the fleet with similar dining policies so they were used to working with that system.

HOWEVER, some people complained that other memebrs of staff obviously had come from ships iwht set dining times etc so did not deal well with the change.

There appears to have been some issues on the first one or two voyages with mixed reviews. OVer hte last 6 months reviews seem to be much better as these issues are ironed out.

Just my observations.

AtM

For me it's best to wait until the ship and crew has done a few cruises together. Our last cruises were all on new ships and several crew members told us it's best to wait until the kinks have been worked out. Some of the best cruises out there are on oldish ships where the crew is comfortable with their tasks and jobs. When it becomes routine for them, they perform better.

We weren't booked on an inaugural cruise, but a cruise on a ship that was to be a month old at our sailing. It was also our first cruise.

The ship (Disney Magic) was delayed not once, but twice. We ended up rebooking and getting a 25% discount on the cruise (also airfare) and upgraded to an outside rather than inside cabin. We booked two months later than originally planned, August rather than June on the third sailing.

I'd have to say, after our experience and reading what others have to say about inaugural cruises and new ships, I'd give the ships staff and crew at least 3 months to settle into a routine. The staff we encountered was wonderful and trying the best they could, but it was all still so new, even after 3 weeks.

We set sail from Barcelona on October 16, 2011.

Roz

My sister and I may be on that cruise with you. We're booked on the TA because it's sailing back into our homeport of Galveston. But I'll be retired by then and we're still toying with doing a B2B with the last 12 day because we really want to go back to Venice.........

One way or the other we'll be passing on a Gangway somewhere.....:p

Wow, I would have to think about those two options for at least 1/10th of a second. Maybe even two tenths.

My friends and I sailed on the first sailing of the Dream last September. Everything went off smooth and no hitches at all. Only thing that made it look like an inaugural was the sound equipment wasn't permanently nailed down in the showroom; we saw the stewards putting their brand new vacuums together one night; and the waiters had to look around a little to find all of their supplies but it never impeded our service.

You would have never guessed it was their first time out (no Travel Agent cruise the week before, either) and there were no smells.

Plenty of lounge chairs, all the towel animals, steward and waiter went above and beyond to make sure we had all we needed.

Next year I'm going on the Magic, but wanted the 12-day and not a 9-day so opted for sailing #2.

Now that's a deal you couldn't refuse! :D

Just curious -- how was the cruise?

It was fantastic. Crystal was concerned because not everything would be delivered to the ship on time, such as glassware, dishes and things like that. We didn't notice any difference in the cruise and it was excellent. BTW, the cost for me that I had returned was over $8000.

Archived