canceled cruise with no refund

elmos mom

Please excuse my typing and grammer but I am so mad I am shaking.I have been lurking on these boards for 3 years reading daily but have never posted because of lack of computer abilities but today is different.In january I booked a portion of a world cruise at $20,000 dollars a room guarentee to depart October 20 th.Due to very unseen circumstances we can not be gone 4 weeks at this time.Called my TA at day 91 before cruise to cancel and Holland America says my $6000 deposit is non refundable!!!!We even tried to switch to a shorter crise and the answer is NO NO NO.So buyer beware .We our long time cruisers with only 10 so far,with other lines one with Holland America but was our new line of choice because of its wondrful iteneries and old world ways.We are in our early 50s and have just seriously become world travlers with the income to do it.So buyer BEWARE.Thanks for listening.PS we also paid in full $17,000 in airfare (thankfully not thru cruise line)which has already been refunded.This cruise is still on all websites for sale with all rooms guarentee so we did not hold a prime room So again buyer beware.This makes me so sad I was already planning a full world cruise for next year but unfortunatly I will never even consider booking any of there cruises ever again,they have lost a very good life long customer

call...speak to a manager and plead your case. They might be able to offer you the 6Gs in a future cruise credit. I havent had any experience with this particular cruise line so i don't know. Its worth a couple of phone calls!

I am sorry for your $$$$ loss.

I have checked very carefully when I have booked a long expensive cruise....and I know that full refund is only available if the trip is cancelled 120 days in advance of the cruise. This is very clear in the documents. It is too bad they cn't make an exception and give you future credit.....

On my last trip I was very careful to have all my dr appts and business taken care of 120 days in advance of departure just in case I needed to cancel.

We are so very sorry to hear about your situation. Did you book directly with HAL? If so, I would certainly call Seattle and ask to speak to the head of customer service or the head of reservations and tell them exactly what extreme circumstances caused you to have to cancel after the 120-day cancellation period. Write a letter to the president or the vice-president of Holland America. Perhaps ask for a cruise voucher for your $6000 deposit that could be used on a future cruise. If you booked through a travel agent, he/she should have explained all the cancellation policies and penalties to you, and should also be trying to help you to get some type of cruise voucher/reimbursement from HAL.

The cancellation policies and penalties for all cruise lines are specifically laid out in the cruise contract, which is why, especially on such an expensive cruise, travel insurance with the "cancel-for-any reason" clause is recommended. Some people choose to self-insure and, unfortunately, this is what happens when there is a problem and they cannot make their cruise.

And $17,000 air fare?? My goodness - to where and from where were you flying? I have never heard of an airfare that high. We are flying round-trip from Houston to Amsterdam next month, and our airfare was only $1900 for both of us. You obviously had some type of cancellation insurance on your air, or opted to by tickets that were fully refundable. So, why did you not do the same for a cruise of such magnitude and expense?

Please, please - for your future cruises, take out this type of insurance. As you can see now, your situation would have been made far less stressful had you had insurance.

We will hoping for a good outcome for you. Please continue to contact the "higher-ups" at HAL. Never say "die" until you have exhausted all of your options.

I'm sorry for your disappointment, and the loss of all that money, but have to wonder---didn't your TA discuss all of the conditions with you before you put that money down? Don't you have insurance to cover the loss?

This is all too bad, but I don't see why you should be mad at HAL for following their policy---policy clearly spelled out.

With $20,000 for a cruise and $17,000 for airfare and you never considered travel insurance? You must be just a little bit mad at yourself. HAL gave you the contract. Should they waive it for everyone?

I agree with Ruth in that I'm very sorry you learned a painful lesson. As the others have said, the cancellation conditions are clearly spelled out. It sounds like you "self-insured" which one would do only if you're willing to gamble and can afford to lose your money.

Chances are very slim that even with a letter or complaint that you would get your money back. That's what insurance is for and if they refunded your deposit, they open a can of worms and have to refund everyone who hasn't taken out insurance. That's not going to happen. It puts you in a bad position but that's the way it is.

Good luck and I hope you continue cruising -- with cruise insurance.

Thank you for your replys,We were waiting to put together the week before and after travel plans in both ports before insurance was purchased .I also had not seen the 129 cancellation insurance when we booked I do not believe it was offered at time of booking ,Is this new?We never travel without insurance.So no I did not read each line of my documents my mistake .Believe me I am broken hearted to not be doing this dream voyage but even more so by the treatment we are receiving.This is not lack of planning extreme emergencys are not scheduled.Not being able to switch to a shorter cruise at a much higher cost than the 6000 dollars plus excursions, ,ship shopping ,beverages spa ,photos,coffee cards ect ect ect they would easily be getting additional revenue from us I am a push over.Obviously!!!So this is just a buyer beware .Qween Karen ,I also have enjoyed reading all your posts and reviews.I am so sad that I will not be cruisig with Holland America here we come Azamara

If you book directly, there's an option to purchase cruiseline insurance. If you booked through a TA, any reputable TA will encourage you to get insurance, and quote you a price. You can also buy it independently.

The treatment you are receiving is exactly what anyone would receive in this situation. You admit to failing to read your contract, purchase insurance or adhere to the time frame for cancellation.

Insurance is for unplanned emergencies, HAL is not responsible to cover yours or the policies they have set would have no meaning. Would you be any less upset if it was 30 days out? They have to cut off the cancellations on these segments at some point as these are not garden variety easy to resell little 10 day jaunts.

If you have been "lurking" here at CC for 3 years none of this should be a surprise...

Thank you for your replys,We were waiting to put together the week before and after travel plans in both ports before insurance was purchased .I also had not seen the 129 cancellation insurance when we booked I do not believe it was offered at time of booking ,Is this new?We never travel without insurance.So no I did not read each line of my documents my mistake .Believe me I am broken hearted to not be doing this dream voyage but even more so by the treatment we are receiving.This is not lack of planning extreme emergencys are not scheduled.Not being able to switch to a shorter cruise at a much higher cost than the 6000 dollars plus excursions, ,ship shopping ,beverages spa ,photos,coffee cards ect ect ect they would easily be getting additional revenue from us I am a push over.Obviously!!!So this is just a buyer beware .Qween Karen ,I also have enjoyed reading all your posts and reviews.I am so sad that I will not be cruisig with Holland America here we come Azamara

Just FYI - you could've gone ahead and purchased your travel insurance at booking. I have not ever (just in my experience) booked a cruise where the inurance was not offered to me at the time of booking. It is even offered when booking on board by the FCC's. You then could have purchased any additional pre or post cruise packages that you wanted to - we have done this on several occasions. At least your insurance would have been in place for this emergency cancellation.

If you were just 91 days out from cruising and were still finalizing your pre/post cruise plans, how were you able to purchase airline tickets? Don't they have to have a definite departure date/time/place and a return date/time/place when purchased? Kinda curious about that....:confused:

Please do not blame HAL or any other cruise line for enforcing their policies. You would have had the same experience on any cruise line, I can assure you.

Best of luck to you - really! :)

This is a buyer beware for the newer people than you regulars,I was just reading a thread yesterday topic $129 trip cancellation where people were saying not to buy $129 cancelation policy .And congragulations on your great air fare to Amsterdam but our flights were long and complicated and not in coach.So for you regulars I did not expect your sympathy,I have been reading this forum a long time daily.JUST VERY FRUSTURATED AND DISAPPONTED that we are not even allowed to apply to shorter time frame ,most cancellation policys are 90 days.So happy cruising sooo sad I will not be on Holland America with you.Thank you

While the outcome may be bleek-- I would keep trying for a while. Make some calls and keep asking for someone higher up the ladder.

While this may take some time and effort, the worse you can hear is "no" which you already have heard.

I hope you find some resolve with this.

Take care and good luck.:)

Something is not right here.....

A world cruise starting Oct 20? HAL's world cruises start in January.

OP claims to be in Seattle. $17000 would be a single First Class seat SFO-FCO, or 3 business class seats. HAL's world cruises usually start in the US.

A cruise of this value would have insurance much higher than $129.

Just doesn't add up.

This is a buyer beware for the newer people than you regulars,I was just reading a thread yesterday topic $129 trip cancellation where people were saying not to buy $129 cancelation policy .And congragulations on your great air fare to Amsterdam but our flights were long and complicated and not in coach.So for you regulars I did not expect your sympathy,I have been reading this forum a long time daily.JUST VERY FRUSTURATED AND DISAPPONTED that we are not even allowed to apply to shorter time frame ,most cancellation policys are 90 days.So happy cruising sooo sad I will not be on Holland America with you.Thank you

Still wondering how your airline tickets were purchased and paid for, and yet your trip plans were not finalized, because as you stated, you had not yet purchased your pre & post cruise packages. So - obviously, you didn't know when you were leaving nor when you were coming back. I guess I shouldn't expect an answer, but am curious anyway.

Something is not right here.....

A world cruise starting Oct 20? HAL's world cruises start in January.

OP claims to be in Seattle. $17000 would be a single First Class seat SFO-FCO, or 3 business class seats. HAL's world cruises usually start in the US.

A cruise of this value would have insurance much higher than $129.

Just doesn't add up.

Methinks the same thing. Checked on the World Cruises from HAL and got the same info. OP says she purchased one leg of a world cruise - yet won't say from where to where. Still questioning that $17,000 air fare - the OP states they were still deciding on pre/post cruise packages. How do you buy airline tickets withour knowing definite departure/return dates? Something definitely not kosher here. And, I mean why would you do any of this with no insurance?

A $129 policy would come nowhere close to insuring this kind of trip. Hmmmmm......

Wow Elmos Mom I'm sorry that in addition to canceling the cruise you are also losing money.

You stated that this is not your first cruise, I know with the extra expense of a world cruise, I would check all options prior to booking.

With a high budget cruise, I can't see why your booking travel agent didn't offer any type of insurance. Even on my cheapo cruises, my travel agent (and even on their website) offers insurance. Right until the final payment, my travel agent offers it.

If I'm spending that high of cost on a cruise, I would want protection!!

If you were flying first class with no restrictions, that airfare for oversea travel can be expensive.

You got burn by not fully researching when booking this cruise.

I would still attempt to talk to someone at HAL headquarters to see about changing it. Just go up the chain.

I hope you the best.

Sorry Elmos mom for your lost money...if your story is true. But...I am having a hard time believing what you claim.

I too am mostly a "lurker" and seldom post anything. It took me only a couple of months of reading posts on the HAL board to learn a few basics such as the importance of travel insurance, HAL world cruises are not in the fall, and dress code is a hot topic as is smoking and the no trays in the lido.

But, for someone who claims to have been "lurking" for 3 years, you have not learned much.

So, I am calling your bluff.

Archived