TO BE OR NOT TO BE "X-RAYED" (luggage at port)

Poohjo

I have been thinking of a politically correct way to ask this question, since it is of a "sensitive" nature. So, since I can't think of a more discrete way of asking, I am just going to ask:

Are all suitcases x-rayed/scanned before they are boarded to the ship? My DH is having a cow over me asking, but it is an honest question. I have been contemplating bringing some adult "toys" with us on our 11 night cruise, however, I am worried that the luggage is going to be x-rayed which will show the device(s) :eek:

Has anyone every had any challenges with this?

Thanks for any information you might be able to provide.

If they are finding hard alcohol and irons (contraband items) they must be x-raying the luggage.The only person(s) "seeing" the items in your luggage will be at dockside. What you are intending to bring on board is not prohibited. No one on the ship would know. And don't forget to remove any batteries before packing. ;) :D

The suitcases are all x-rayed. Whether the devices will show up I presume depends on what they are made of (I can't claim to know from previous experience:)). If they do show up, I also presume you would not be subjected to any bag searches unless they were somehow shaped like something that resembled a weapon, heating device like an iron, or the like. If they were, you may be in for some embarassing moments. Good luck!

If you are checking your bags at the airport they could be X-rayed and possibly search by hand. Of course you never will meet the person who sees the contents of your bag.

if you are doing carry on it is a completely different story and be prepared to be asked about the contents of your suitcase or have it searched in front of you.

good for you for trying to make your cruise a fun one!!!! :)

B

Last year I got called to security on Royal for a power strip. When you go down there you have to find the item, get it out and hand it to security. I wouldn't put anything in my suitcase that I would be embarassed to hand to a security guard.

BTW, you do know the cabins have rather thin walls, right???:rolleyes:

It's VACATION! HAVE FUN! Unless you are a terrorist you should be able to bring anything that reasonably provides entertainment...that's why my wife takes me on cruises. (No, not that---I make her laugh:p)

By the way, removing the batteries is a wise suggestion. There is a whole comedy routine in a movie about certain battery devices starting to vibrate during luggage inspection. If that happens you will notice your husband quietly receding into the shadows of another inspection lane:confused:

Incidentally, have you noticed that it always seems to be Texans that correlate adult toys with handcuffs?:rolleyes:

I pack the adult toys right on top! One time at an airport, My bag was searched. When they opened it, they asked me if I would move it so they could copmplete the search. I told them if they wanted to see in my little ol' bag that bad, they could move it themselves. They gave me my bag and told me to have a nice day...LOL

As for the irons, I pack one every cruise right in my luggage. Has never been an issue. I bring it just in case I forget to send my shirts for pressing.

I pack the adult toys right on top! One time at an airport, My bag was searched. When they opened it, they asked me if I would move it so they could copmplete the search. I told them if they wanted to see in my little ol' bag that bad, they could move it themselves. They gave me my bag and told me to have a nice day...LOL

As for the irons, I pack one every cruise right in my luggage. Has never been an issue. I bring it just in case I forget to send my shirts for pressing.

OK, I'll be the one who responds so new members understand sneaking irons isn't like smuggling booze or bringing fun toys on.

They are prohibited. They can cause fires and have done so. We are all in a 'building' that has no exits. To endanger the ship and all other passengers to reduce a few wrinkles is beyond the pale.

The poster will tell us all about how responsible he is and won't leave it out but the very action of bringing it aboard negates the person as being a responsible type. Having spent many many months at sea, have lost more shipmates to fires than to anything else. A fire aboard ship is very scary.

OK, off to talk on 'fun toys' and cruising and hope I don't cruise with the poster. If you insist on bringing irons, please do not post telling us so you don't loose All credibility.

Den

I know irons are prohibited but what about hair straighteners? I've always taken them on other cruiselines and never had any issues so far.

Someone also mentioned power bars being questioned too. Are they allowed?

I sooo do not want to be summoned to the naughty room so I will follow the rules. :o

I've always put my flat iron in my carry on bag and have never had it questioned in the last few years. When all of these security precautions went into effect a few years ago, the flat iron immediately came to mind, but it's never been an issue. As for irons, I know everyone wants to look their best, but I could never pack or use an iron on vacation and I love to iron.

Okay, back on point.

First I want to say your husband is a lucky, lucky man even though he didn't want you to ask!!:o

As for the x-ray, yes they do, and yes it will show so you may want to think of an explanation awhile, like.......

If it's a 'buzzing' type device you could say it's to relieve the kinks that come from travel and sitting on an airplane, or an extra loud 'ringer' for you cell phone.

If it has a certain body shape, you may explain it as a spare, kind of like the tire in the car trunk, you never want to be stranded if the real one goes 'flat'.

Hopeful this has given you some ideas to get your story straight, but remember it's your vacation, and you should never be bored on your vacation! Who really cares what the x-ray person thinks of you any way, you'll never see them again and they won't be coming to the next family gathering!:D

Toys are fine, but they won't let you bring live chickens or attach trapezes to the ceilings. Spoil sports :D Probably ought to leave the Annie Oakley outfit with the toy pistols home too.

Don't worry a bit about someone discovering your stuff-they see plenty of such items and I am sure it is no big deal to them.

Thin walls may be a good reason to NOT book a cabin next to relatives ;).

Happy Sails to You

OOOEEE :D:D Bob and Phyl

PS, there is another thread on irons and booze, so will not comment much on that here as that is not what the OP inquired about, but I will say that if I discover anyone on my roll call who is taking an iron or other prohibited device, I will rat you out.

Irons are prohibited and for the sake of all passengers we hope you will discontinue that practice. Fire at sea we don't want to happen. Let's be responsible here.

Okay, back on point.

If it has a certain body shape, you may explain it as a spare, kind of like the tire in the car trunk, you never want to be stranded if the real one goes 'flat'.

!:D

Seriously the funniest thing I've read all day. I laughed out loud...and I'm at Work!

As to the OP. just bring one thats not metal and I bet they over look it.

Have Fuuuun!

Okay, back on point.

As for the x-ray, yes they do, and yes it will show so you may want to think of an explanation awhile, like.......

If it has a certain body shape, you may explain it as a spare, kind of like the tire in the car trunk, you never want to be stranded if the real one goes 'flat'. :D

While reading your post I started to laugh, but when I got to this I almost spewed coffee all over my keyboard...! :eek: :D

I wouldn't recommend giving remarks like that to the agents. They can, will and have every right to make it as miserable as possible for you. May even cause you to miss your flight.

My wife is 'cursed' with having to put up with my sense of humor!!!:D

And of course there is the 'it's just an air bag excuse in case the ship comes to a quick and sudden stop', if you're so inclined to have that type of adult toy...............but will you need to pay for a third person, and is it stealing from the cruise line if you don't???? Or 'it's just a floatation device' might work :confused:

Chickens, really???? I don't think I ever thought about chickens?!?!

Maybe these are the bags in the airport they are always talking about over the loud speakers....... "if a stranger has given you a bag"..........now we really knows what's in there!;)

It will be fine!!

And for the record, we saw someone getting in trouble for handcuff's when we were getting on the Sapphire earlier this year.... they were in a carry on bag.

The security people were saying the couple (both men) were unable to bring them aboard.

One fellow said he has NEVER had a problem bringing them on the several ships he had been on and demanded to speak to someone higher up.

My hubby (a crime reporter) and I chuckled saying how much more "fun" these two were going to have then we were...

We told our table mates and thought it was a hilarious story...

Several days later, we saw the men again.

This time ON STAGE... he was the ventriloquist...

The handcuffs were part of his act!!!

WE LAUGHED TILL IT HURT!!!!!!!

I just make sure to pack the toys in my husband's suitcase . . .;)

This is awesome! I never thought about packing them in his suitcase. He was horrified that I was posting my question in this forum. I can only imagine his face if our suitcases were examined in front of us and my "toy's were laying right there on top for everyone to view. He would just die from embarrsssment. :rolleyes:

This is awesome! I never thought about packing them in his suitcase. He was horrified that I was posting my question in this forum. I can only imagine his face if our suitcases were examined in front of us and my "toy's were laying right there on top for everyone to view. He would just die from embarrsssment. :rolleyes:

Actually this whole thing makes me really irritated. I feel like I am at the age to not be questioned about stuff like this.

Do you think they would drag a man down to the "naughty room" and question him about his ****** prescription?

Actually this whole thing makes me really irritated. I feel like I am at the age to not be questioned about stuff like this.

Do you think they would drag a man down to the "naughty room" and question him about his ****** prescription?

I don't think they are referring to being called to the 'naughty room' or even opening their luggage because of the toys, unless they look like prohibited items, such as somebodiy's Anne Oakley outfit with 6-shooters! I think they are referring to them being seen during airport security checks and if the cruise line opens it due to the 8 bottles of booze underneath the 'toys'.

And by the way, my '**** prescription' is medicine persribed by a real Dr who is just trying to keep me fit.......and happy! And if they did start checking for that, the ship would have to hire 100+ security people to check the 1000+ men's med bottles!

Den

Just stick in in a shoe or something...chances are they won't see it and if they do, it's not the 1st time. And, YES...take out the batteries.....speaking from experience here...it's no fun having a vibrating suitcase on the luggage carousel!!!!

Archived