Here comes know-it-all Miimito4 on her first Alaskan Regent cruise.

mimito4

I've been patient and kind, at least most days leading up to this (if you don't count my 23 year old son and all that that means. I'll not been that kind to him), and now I am friggin' JOURNEY-Proud for our Alaskan and first Regent cruise.

This is a cruise with a reason. My most wonderful man (the best!!) and I are celebrating our 30th anniversary Sept. 10. Say ahhhhh.

We depart Monday, August 29 for Vancouver where we'll stay at the PanPacific for 2 nights before boarding the Navigator. Let it be known that once we board we shall require a bottle of Glenlivit, a bottle of Bombay Sapphire, and if they're particularly kind, they'll make sure we have a bottle of B & B for a night cap. Which one of you are going to be in charge of that? ;)

Does that sound too demanding? I hope not. We're really very easy people.

Then I'll want to hug my stewardess. I mean, who doesn't want to hug one who is going to make their lives infinitely easier for the next 2 weeks? Line me up. I adore her already, nationality aside.

This packing is a mess, unlike any other cruise I ever taken. I mean we have fleece, jackets, rain jackets, rain-proof light weight gloves. Tonight we sprayed our already water-resistance Merrile shoe/boots with water repellent. One can never be too sure.

Sigh. The thought of it all totally exhausts me.

I'm ready for a vacation to chill and yet I find myself just thinking about what I have to do. I am so hopeful that anyone on this cruise will jump on and tell us stuff. It really is all about telling your story, and hopefully we can learn from your successes and your stupid mistakes. ;)

Be forewarned, anyone who has cruised with me before will tell you that I am a paparazzi at heart. I WILL be taking pictures, not just of whales and eagles, but of people (far more interesting animals), so run if you're not up for it. ;) And you poor left behinds (which we've all been many times) will get to laugh at the pictures of the human animals I post (not without permission).

PLEASE, PLEASE STAY TUNED. In the meantime, the operative word is Tips. Give 'em up. In spite of being a know-it-all (my apologies) I'm new to Regent. I'm new to Alaska.

I pronounce this the official August 31 Final Alaska Cruise of the season.

Everyone post away.

And stay tuned. . .for the next 2 weeks.

Alaska was our first Regent cruise (on the Mariner) and our first cruise in life. What a grand time it was.

I have no tips as everything was so magical and fun! I wish you the same high excitement!

Same for us! (Well it was a 2nd cruise for my dh, but the first was in high school, LOL.)

I think you are wise in your preparations. As Mayor Bloomberg has said to NYC, "prepare for the worst but hope for the best."

We did not have much rain on our Alaska cruise (really only in Ketchikan), but I was very grateful for my warm fleece jacket, my fleece headband and my warm mitten/gloves (fingerless gloves that have a mitten cover that folds back - great for taking pictures then re-warming the fingers!). It was so wonderful to be able to stay warm out on deck or on our balcony viewing the glaciers... and really EVERYthing. Everywhere you look in Alaska, it is a breathtaking view. Waterfalls everywhere, blue waters, wildlife all around.

I'm very excited to hear about your Alaska cruise (and relive my own!) and also to hear ALL about the Navigator since we will be embarking in SF just after your cruise is completed!!

I will be looking forward to your updates and hope to hear from others too. My DH and I are thinking about doing another Alaska cruise (since we loved our first one so much). Hoping for great weather for you. Take the warm and water proof stuff then maybe you won't need it.

We just home from our cruise. We left Vancouver in brilliant sunshine. It was a gorgeous and fun afternoon. Thursday at sea was also gorgeous. Then the RAIN!!!!!! Started. It rained for the next 5 days so be prepared in case. We were as most and just kept going and smiling. I would recommend waterproof warm gloves. Also, waterproof rain pants worn over our jeans were a life saver. We bought them at REI. We were told by locals that the weather gets even more iffy in August. Have a great time and eat a cheeseburger by the pool for me. :)

You sound like fun!! Would you please immediately book the Ultimate Amazon cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on November 28, 2011. I bet you would be fun to cruise with! (Ah oh. Did I just end a sentence with a preposition?) Oh, and you have my permission to post pictures of this animal! <G>

I love your attitude, so can't wait to read your posts!

Have a blast. We're going next May (it will be our 32nd), and so want to hear *aaalll* about it!

Not sure you'll get your Glenlivet and Bombay Sapphire, but heck, why not try? I actually found that with the open-bar policy, the lounges are very active, so we rarely actually do much drinking in our cabin. So this is my one tip--get out to the lounges!

When Regent opted for the open bar several years ago, it was simply amazing how busy the lounges got - much more fun than before.

It is also a good thing for singles - no argument over who is paying for the drinks no matter who you're sitting with. Very nice.

And honestly (and I am not a late night person) I have not seen people who have over indulged.

Thanks for all your kind remarks and encouragement (and even the not so kind one--I consider feedback a gift from which to learn, even when it hurts my feelings :(). Don and I are very excited to try Regent.

You sound like fun!! Would you please immediately book the Ultimate Amazon cruise leaving Fort Lauderdale on November 28, 2011. I bet you would be fun to cruise with!

You paying? Sign me up. I'm always pack and go ready. :D

I love your attitude, so can't wait to read your posts!

Not sure you'll get your Glenlivet and Bombay Sapphire, but heck, why not try? I actually found that with the open-bar policy, the lounges are very active, so we rarely actually do much drinking in our cabin. So this is my one tip--get out to the lounges!

Wendy, thank you. We're very social, so for sure we will be in the lounges. We do like to have a little cocktail in the suite, even if just when we're getting ready. The routine is shower, robe, make-up brushes in one hand and cocktail in other.

I thought we can order 2 bottles from our stewardess for the suite, or is that only for penthouse and above? We are Category E. And is it only wine. . .not premium liquor? Is there an upcharge for Glenlivet and Bombay Sapphire in the lounges, etc.?

Peggy and L & L, all appendages crossed in hopes that your journey is not delayed even slightly due to Irene.

I think you can get whatever bottles you want, as long as they are on the regular list. Just ask your stewardess. They will be happy to supply whatever, plus mixers. You can also have them take the stuff out of the frig that you don't like and put in more of what you prefer. I have them take out everything except diet cokes, water, and a couple of Heineken for hubby, and instruct them to keep the frig supplied with these only. No problem.

Yes, you certainly can have your two bottles of liquor in any suite, I'm just not sure if that includes the brands you want. Also not sure if those brands have an upcharge in the bars, but I somehow doubt it.

I'm particularly interested in your trip since it's the reverse of ours next May.

We do like to have a little cocktail in the suite, even if just when we're getting ready. The routine is shower, robe, make-up brushes in one hand and cocktail in other.

Does't the cocktail get soapy in the shower? Do you cover the glass with a shower cap and use a straw? Just wondering how to pull this off... ;)

-- Eric

Rascal Eric, :p :D ;) !

Isn't life grand? Seriously.

Island Cruiser, I did indeed used to be spunky. . .less so these days, at least in body. Mind is still VERY spunky. . .not to be confused with sharp.

Teresa, we got through the worst of the hurricane (still mopping up the basement), but we have electricity and hopefully the airport will be open by Tuesday for us to fly to Vancouver and catch the Navigator on Wednesday. Linda & Larry

applause.gif

L & L, GREAT NEWS! You too can now start getting journey-proud. Even though we'll be surrounded by water on the Navigator, hopefully you won't have to be mopping or collecting water in buckets. Yikes!

How about you, Peggy? All OK where you are?

Bombay Sapphire is included. You will be happy.
How did you know? I'm simple like that. Good gin makes me happy. Oh, who am I kidding, any kind of gin makes me happy! ;)

Ms. Teresa, I am going to report you to Crystal and you will be denied boarding any future Crystal cruises. LOL

Bad boy, Miles. If you keep coming over here to Regent and pulling their chains, I'm going to have to post that video I put on youtube of you boys. :p

I'm still a mess with this packing business. For starters, I'm on here being silly instead of attending to the task. So, no more silliness. I need to get serious. We leave for Vancouver early tomorrow morning.

Archived