C & A Status for children turning 18

dz9yvr

There have been a lot of posts on this subject and I can't sort out the correct answer. Has anyone had any children turn 18? Did they retain your status after they turn 18? It's my understanding that the children retain your status but earn accure additional points based on their actual cruises. Is this correct? Any first hand experience would be welcomed.

I think everyone agrees that they kids revert back to their actual accured point when they turn 18, the question really is do they retain the parents status?

They do. All three of my kids have turned 18. Two are emerald and one is diamond but their cruise points reflect only those that they have actually earned. So, to get to the next level, they are on their own.

It may not happen with everybody but our kids are still reaping the benefits of their parents' cruises. My kids are 18 and 21. My wife and I are Platinum which means so are the kids. They have each been on only 3 cruises. Neither one of them reverted to their own points once they turned 18. They kept the status and the cruise points that they had before they turned 18. DW and I just sailed the Serenade last month without the kids. The kids had 7 more points added to their account after we got back.

My older son just went through this for our last cruise. I took advantage of a 3-night cruise January 2011 (right before they changed the system) to bump my family up to Platinum status. My older son had enough cruise points to be Gold, but inherited my Platinum status right before he turned 18 in the following March. He was still Platinum despite having fewer cruise points for our cruise last August.

Thanks for the first hand experiences, this appears to be another category that my DD and I will need to monitor to confirm that RCCL does it correctly. My DD will be glad to hear that she'll be able to keep my D+ status.

Neither one of them reverted to their own points once they turned 18. They kept the status and the cruise points that they had before they turned 18. DW and I just sailed the Serenade last month without the kids. The kids had 7 more points added to their account after we got back.

This is an error. They should keep your status, but revert back to the points they originally earned, not the ones you and your wife earned. This is a mistake, in your kids' favor.

My minor children turned D+ with us. My (then) 19yo did not. He has the points he has earned on his own and is D.

Deb, thanks for the first hand report. Did this happen automatically or did you need to "prompt" the C&A folks?

When your child turns 18, you can sign them up for their own C&A account online with the C&A number they have now. Their points should be in the system and show up in their account. If something is not right (wrong status or wrong points showing), call C&A.

Agreed, yes they do. Just checked and both of our children, over 18 years of age, are our Emerald status with the same number of cruise points as us.

They should be your status if they turned 18 after you reached that status. They should have the same number of points if they went on the same number of cruises.

I see a lot of people posting that their adult children retained their parents' points total after turning 18. I am starting to wonder about the current policy.

It may not happen with everybody but our kids are still reaping the benefits of their parents' cruises. My kids are 18 and 21. My wife and I are Platinum which means so are the kids. They have each been on only 3 cruises. Neither one of them reverted to their own points once they turned 18. They kept the status and the cruise points that they had before they turned 18. DW and I just sailed the Serenade last month without the kids. The kids had 7 more points added to their account after we got back.

This is an error. They should keep your status, but revert back to the points they originally earned, not the ones you and your wife earned. This is a mistake, in your kids' favor.

My minor children turned D+ with us. My (then) 19yo did not. He has the points he has earned on his own and is D.

We will be taking a cruise next year that will move us to Emerald level. It will be interesting to seee what happens to the kids status then.

My dd had my status (only 2 cruises less than me) until she turned 23 and got married. When she changed her name in the system they took away the 14 pts.

That doesn't seem right. So, sons who get married would retain their status because they don't change their name? And woman who don't get married (or change their name) also retain their status? Seems discriminatory against married woman to me.

I'll have to tell my daughters to keep their maiden names in the RCI system after they get married someday.

When your child turns 18, you can sign them up for their own C&A account online with the C&A number they have now. Their points should be in the system and show up in their account. If something is not right (wrong status or wrong points showing), call C&A.

After my kids turned 18, their points were not reduced to their actual totals until after their next cruise. Sometimes it takes a while for the adjustment to be made.

My dd had my status (only 2 cruises less than me) until she turned 23 and got married. When she changed her name in the system they took away the 14 pts.

After the child turns 18 their points are adjust to the number that they actually earned. So, that sounds correct. They keep the status but only the points that they have actually earned.

Have they been on a cruise recently? The adjustment to separate them from parents appears to be made after they cruise after turning 18. Sometimes it takes a bit longer.

Deb, thanks for the first hand report. Did this happen automatically or did you need to "prompt" the C&A folks?

No, we were secretly hoping that they would keep the points. The adjustments were made after the last cruise that they took even though my daughter is 25 now. I think when they changed the program they updated to include making the adjustment.

In fact, my 25 year old daughter called RCCL to complain :) I don't have much sympathy for her. She is probably Emerald on her own now but has yet to pay for a single cruise.

If your adult child's totals still reflect your point total and not theirs I would guess that the adjustment will be made eventually.

Our problem is the 18 year old is Diamond and the 22 and 25 year old are Emerald. Makes for some interesting family dynamics.

Have they been on a cruise recently? The adjustment to separate them from parents appears to be made after they cruise after turning 18. Sometimes it takes a bit longer.

I don't think that matters. I have 2 kids who had 2 different results. One I think is right, according to policy. One I think is wrong, but I'm not going to complain.

I don't think that matters. I have 2 kids who had 2 different results. One I think is right, according to policy. One I think is wrong, but I'm not going to complain.

I wouldn't complain either! Even though I feel pretty certain of what the policy is I have yet to see it in writing....

With us it's been totally different. our son kept our rank until he changed his address, then went on his own. Our daughter (28) has kept our address & she is still listed under our rank. On our cruise next month she is listed as Diamond Plus. This will be her 8th cruise.

Go figure.

Archived