Review: Star Princess Alaska

MexicanMama

My husband and I along with 46 others in our group had a wonderful time on our recent cruise to Alaska aboard the Star Princess. Two of my Aunt’s planned the cruise and the rest were couples they knew from work and church. We booked a group rate through a travel agent, which I would not do again if given the option. I enjoy the freedom to watch price drops and handle the paperwork myself. We had great luck with this cruise as we originally purchased an interior cabin, were upgraded to a balcony when the prices dropped and around 2 weeks before sailing were upgraded to a mini suite. This was our first mini and we very much enjoyed the extra room, especially for an Alaskan cruise.

The cabin we were upgraded to was Dolphin 733. I would LOVE to stay in this room again! This room was originally designed as a handicap room, but for whatever reason is not used for that anymore. This room has a HUGE bathroom with a roll in shower; it also does not have the step-up into the bathroom. There are lots of handicap rails in the shower that I found useful when trying to shower while at sea J. This mini suite does not have a bathtub, I know some will say that on other ships these former handicapped rooms have been upgraded to include a tub, but on the Star they have not, wasn’t important to us though. I imagine this is why we were upgraded to this room, someone who paid the full fare for a mini might not have been happy without a tub. The other amenities of the room MORE than made up for lack of tub. There is a very large door and entrance way to accommodate and park a wheel chair and a wide aisle between the 2 beds, making the room much larger than even a standard mini. Yes, the beds must remain separate. I know some say they have asked for them to be put together in this type of room, but it would make the room very awkward and you would have to climb over the bed to get to the sitting area/balcony. Speaking of the balcony….WOW….the balcony in this cabin is HUGE! It was the PERFECT cabin for Alaska! While others had their boxed in view we had our 9 feet plus the entire corner of the ship, we could even see the wake!

Moving on to our room stewardess, her name was Mary Lou. I can’t say that she did everything we asked, because we never even had the opportunity to ask for ANYTHING. She anticipated ahead of time anything we might need and provided it even before we realized we needed it! When she saw that I brought fresh flowers from Seattle, she got us a vase. When she realized I was mixing drinks in a beer bucket…lol….she brought us a pitcher and stirrer. The night before we were to be in Tracey Arm Fiord she brought us 2 extra blanks for balcony lounging. This is just a few of the most memorable things she did. We felt constantly cared for and pampered. I believe because we were next door to a full suite that Princess would put their best employees taking care of suites. We received the advantage of Mary Lou’s exemplary service by being in such close proximity to the full suite. Something to think about when booking again!

We cruised for the itinerary and not necessarily for the food, but I have to say the food was good, not great, but good. I was told "No" by the wait staff more than I have ever been before on a cruise and this was our 7th cruise. It started at Horizon Court right after we boarded, the prime rib was a little tough to cut and I asked if I could please have an actual knife and not the butter knife that was provided. I was simply told “No, that’s all we have”. No” I’m sorry” or “I will see if I can find something” or “Is your meat too tough?”….I have worked in customer service positions in the past and I always tried, even if there was no way to provide the customer what they were requesting, to speak in a way that showed that I wish I could help them. When I requested lemonade in the dining room I was again told “No, lemonade is not offered in the main dining room”. I guess we never got a firm grasp for what beverages were complimentary in the main dining room as we couldn’t have lemonade, but my husband was served 2 soft drinks that he was never charged for. Who knows? We just began swinging by Horizon Court for a glass of lemonade or bring wine or mixed drinks from our room to enjoy with dinner. The bar staff serves the pub lunch and have a much more difficult time with the language barrier. I asked for ranch dressing and they had to bring over 2 additional people before anyone ever understood what I was asking for, then went to ask the chef who said they didn’t have any. It was served in the Crown Grill, I have a hard time believing they don’t have ranch dressing there, but again, I’m not sure they ever understood what I was asking for. I asked for steak to be provided with my fettuccini alfredo and the waiter said “No, because of the sauce”….??? I saw the suggestion of asking for chicken or steak with pasta here on Cruise Critic, so I know at least some waiters will allow it. The absolute strangest “no” came from room service…it wasn’t really a no….just strange. My husband called room service to order a couple of burgers for us and asked that they have sliced avocado or guacamole on them. He was told that could be done, but for an extra charge??? He agreed to the charge, as we love avocado instead of ketchup or mustard on our burgers. We received 2 burgers with lettuce, tomato and onion. No avocado, no guacamole, no ketchup and no mustard. Just dry burgers. We were back from an excursion and starving so we ate them anyway. Have you ever been charged extra for a food item from room service, other than of course the items that say they are extra?

There is much discussion here about how people dress in the main dining room on Alaskan cruises. On nights that were not formal there were many who dressed-up in nice dresses or pants suits, but for the most part people wore nice jeans and top, but I even saw a few hoodies and sports wear. How people dress does not in any way change my dining experience. Alaskan ports are not like most ports that cruises usually visit, we had been fishing or hiking all day, off the ship until the very last second and just didn't have the desire to spend the time to get super dressed up. The formal nights were different, but these were on sea days. I was enjoying myself and didn't pay too much attention, but everyone seemed more elegant. Some men wore jackets, with or without ties and some men just wore polo shirts with slacks. There were a few tuxs, but not many. I saw some women in cocktail dresses, but not too many true formal dresses. Don't get yourself worked up or nervous about what to wear in the dining room. Dress in a way that looks nice, don't wear any shorts or jeans that have holes in them and you will be fine!

We had a wonderful time on the ship and in port. Alaska’s winter lasted about a month longer than normal this year so most of the salmon was not there yet, there for most of the whales were not there yet. I would plan future Alaskan cruises at least a couple of weeks later.

We found there to be LOTS of entertainment on the ship, something some on the boards have said Alaskan cruises are lacking. We were tired from extensive port days and went to bed somewhat early most nights, but there were activities that many enjoyed well into the early morning hours. I think because of the time change most were experiencing the mornings started much earlier than on most ships I have been on. Because we had a 3 hour time change hubby and I would be up, have had breakfast and lounging in the hot tub by 6am!

This was the trip of a lifetime and I’m thankful to Princess for making it memorable and FUN!! There is so much more I could say about Seattle (loved, will go back again), Alaska (More beautiful and more remote than I imagined) and Victoria BC (wish we would have had more time there, will ride the ferry there again when we visit Seattle) but I will leave you with this tip:

If you have never been to Alaska….GOOOOOOO! It’s something everyone should see at least once…..it is still truly God’s country!

Mexican Mama, enjoyed your review of our favorite Princess ship. We enjoyed her for 28 days to the South Pacific last month. That was our 12th cruise on the Star Princess.

We also thought Mary Lou was a jewel! we had an aft cabin overlooking the wake, D735. She thought of everything, she has been with Princess for 19 years. Easy to see why she was assigned to the suite cabins.

Was surprised to hear about the "No's" you received from the serving staff. That is a bit unusual with the staff on the Star. Have found them to be very accommodating. Guess you found some strange staff, sorry to hear that.

Hope you will give the Star another try, and write another review. And when you do, please use a larger font! ;)

I completely agree with you about the font. I would also have changed the spacing of the paragraphs. This was my first review, really my first long post, so I didn't realize how small it would be. I have tried to figure out a way to edit it, but have not been successful.

Thank you for your review. My husband and I will be on the Star in September for our first cruise to Alaska. We are really looking forward to it!

You will be amazed, it is an amazing place. If you have any questions about the ports I would be glad to help. Don't miss the White Pass Railroad, it was something I will never forget.

Thank you so much for this review !

We will be on the Star in July, cannot wait.

What amazing luck you had with that upgrade. WOW !

I wish we could of done a balcony, but had to go with an ocean view.

Thanks for the info on dressing in the dining room, I cannot decide what to take for dinners, without taking my whole closet ! Plus, I want to be comfortable for the rest of the evening, for shows and dancing.

Thanks again !

Thank you for your review and about jeans in the dining room, never would have thought, but now know I could get away with black jeans, nice boots and sweater. What did you think of Tracy Arm and how early were you up for viewing? Going in a few months.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to be on the Star in a little over 7 weeks. Can you tell me who you had for Cruise Director and Naturalist?

Sorry you heard "no" so much; some of it is surprising but others not. I can see how it might be hard for room service to get avocado. Also, I've only been able to get lemonade in the Horizon Court on the Golden/Star the past 4 summers.

I'm glad you had a good trip despite these little bumps.

Enjoyed your review. We took the Alaska Cruise several years ago on the Diamond Princess, I believe. I am also surprised about your "NO" comments. We were on the Star from South America in March and we asked for and received Avacado every night at dinner in the main dining room. After the 1st night, our waiter had it on the table when we arrived. We also frequently asked for and got it in the Horizon Court. The same goes for Papaya. We got it every time we asked. We thought the Star crew was very helpful. The only thing they ever said no to was our room steward (who seemed over burdened) asked us to get wine glasses from the bar when I asked for some in our room. No problem, that's just what I did. Sorry for your experience, we loved the Star service with the exception of the room steward. The room was always cleaned and ready, he was just difficult to find and seemed like he was always behind. We would sail Star again, in fact, we are considering doing just that this september...for two cruises back to back.

Thank you for your review and about jeans in the dining room, never would have thought, but now know I could get away with black jeans, nice boots and sweater. What did you think of Tracy Arm and how early were you up for viewing? Going in a few months.

Tracy Arm was towering and majestic, peaceful....it was my 2nd favorite event of the cruise. When we woke up at 6am we were floating at the entrance of Tracy Arm. The mouth is a feeding ground for whales so we headed upstairs in hopes of seeing some, there were none at mouth, but we did see 3 inside Tracy Arm.

The actual commentary from the naturalist started at 7:30am as we entered. Make sure to move around the ship, don't just stay on your balcony. Skywalkers has a great view!

My VERY MOST favorite event of the trip was the White Pass Railway...I can't even begin to explain how beautiful and remote that trip was. It's the most spectacular sights I've ever seen! Don't miss it, Tracy Arm does not compare to what you will see on the White Pass.

Thanks for the review. I'm going to be on the Star in a little over 7 weeks. Can you tell me who you had for Cruise Director and Naturalist?

Our cruise director was Sammi Baker, she is funny with tons of energy! She is from Alaska and the personal stories she told about her home added to the trip.

The naturalist is Michael Modzelewski, he lives on a small rural island in Alaska and is extremely passionate about his home! He added greatly to the overall learning experience.

Loved your review! We are going on the Golden in 30 days! Eeek!!!!

How exciting to get a suite upgrade! Was it a free upgrade or a great deal offered? I really want a balcony for our honeymoon cruise, but it is out of our budget after putting on a wedding :)

Our cruise director was Sammi Baker, she is funny with tons of energy! She is from Alaska and the personal stories she told about her home added to the trip.

The naturalist is Michael Modzelewski, he lives on a small rural island in Alaska and is extremely passionate about his home! He added greatly to the overall learning experience.

I've heard good things about Sammi. I hope she's still on the Star at the end of July!

We've had Michael M. as our Naturalist for the past 3 years running. Unfortunately he doesn't change is shows much over the years, so I don't bother to go to them any more. I was kind of hoping for someone different, but he's okay. I think my mom and aunt will enjoy his presentations.

Thanks for answering! I like to know these things in advance.

Loved your review! We are going on the Golden in 30 days! Eeek!!!!

How exciting to get a suite upgrade! Was it a free upgrade or a great deal offered? I really want a balcony for our honeymoon cruise, but it is out of our budget after putting on a wedding :)

It was "free"...our TA was able to get each upgrade because the cost of this cruise dramatically declined. We were locked into a group rate (wouldn't do again) so the only options we had were upgrades. At one point interior rooms on this cruise were selling for $399.....we paid $999.00.....so I really wouldn't call it a free upgrade, but we were extremely happy!

It was "free"...our TA was able to get each upgrade because the cost of this cruise dramatically declined. We were locked into a group rate (wouldn't do again) so the only options we had were upgrades. At one point interior rooms on this cruise were selling for $399.....we paid $999.00.....so I really wouldn't call it a free upgrade, but we were extremely happy!

Oh dear, I see what you mean by it being "free" but it still sounds like a fantastic experience!

Thanks for the wonderful review. I will be on the Star going to Alaska on July 6th. I can't wait!! All the info you gave is very helpful. We are in D222 mini suite- first time having a balcony. Really looking forward to it.

Thanks for the post, we are sailing in less than two weeks, and I know that Sammi, will be the CD on our sailing (per Princess email).

Third trip to Alaska, but not since 1996, always helpful to have notes to help remember things about ports and of course the ship. I have sailed Princess a lot and am never disappointed with them, went to Canada/New England this past Oct. on the Caribbean Princess.

Our sailing should be sold out by the time we sail, with some upgrades handed out since they are wait-listing cabins. I know we are not getting any visits from the upgrade fairy since I put no upgrade, lol We are inside, but our friends have a balcony just 7 cabins away, so you know where DH and I will be hanging out!

Archived