Bye bye buffet?

SeaShark

(Let's see if I can do this without fat-fingering the keyboard this time!:o)

According to the attached article, P&O Cruises Austrailia is implemeting some new dining innovations...including removing/replacing the traditional cruise buffet.

I'm just wondering what everyone would think if NCL took similar steps and replaced the buffet on their new ships. Could you deal with not having a buffet? What would you rather have in its place?

I'd also point out that they plan to just GIVE the masses a bunch of perks formally available only to suite guests, but that would be a whole different thread! :eek: :rolleyes:

PO Cruises.pdf

(Let's see if I can do this without fat-fingering the keyboard this time!:o)

I'm just wondering what everyone would think if NCL took similar steps and replaced the buffet on their new ships. Could you deal with not having a buffet? What would you rather have in its place?

I'd also point out that they plan to just GIVE the masses a bunch of perks formally available only to suite guests, but that would be a whole different thread! :eek: :rolleyes:

Would avoid the new ships.

Agreed! I don't think you will see the buffets disappearing anytime soon. They are the best options for breakfast and lunch in my opinion and even when we stay in a suite that is what we use for those meals most of the time. We ate in Cagney's the first two mornings on our last NCL cruise until I found out the waffles were hotter on the buffet ;)

I personally could live without the buffet but I think it is a very big convenience after hitting the waterslides/pool area, for breakfast, and for families with children. It's also great if you are short on time for catching a show or excursion and need to catch a quick bite without waiting a long time for your food to come.

i would never sail a cruise without a buffet

late night snacks, grab and gos, snacks for the kids, exercise and food in the morning.

the sheer convenience of having a buffet is one of the best selling points of a cruise.

and hell what would my new moniker be???

Edited by BuffetPantsPls

The buffet is my go to spot for breakfast. I'd be utterly irritated if I were forced to sit down and be served breakfast. That isn't going to happen on any vacation I take.

That said, if there wasn't a buffet, I'd probably get a pizza the night before, and just eat leftovers for breakfast in the mornings. I'd make do.

Edited by LrgPizza

Or, said another way. We are changing the name from buffet to food court. And, dressing it up a little.

"To be known as The Pantry, the new area will offer a variety of food outlets including a gourmet delicatessen, fresh fish and chips and modern cuisine restaurants. Guests will able to enjoy their meals in a setting featuring high tables, communal benches and comfortable banquettes."

It is interesting to see the number of people who only see a black & white issue (buffet-as-is or nothing) as opposed to those who would take the opportunity and say "OK...I see the point of the buffet, but since I have the opportunity, what could we do to improve it and make it better?"

It is interesting to see the number of people who only see a black & white issue (buffet-as-is or nothing) as opposed to those who would take the opportunity and say "OK...I see the point of the buffet, but since I have the opportunity, what could we do to improve it and make it better?"

Probably because you asked "Could you deal with not having a buffet?".;) If people are lining up and serving themselves it's still a buffet, regardless of the name given to it.

I'd be fine with a food court layout if it meant only the cooks would be handling the food before it reached my plate.

With everything lying out on a buffet, you often don't know which food has been pre-fondled by fellow passengers. :)

I'd be fine with food court style as long as the food was ready within a few minutes.

Three minutes for you equates to an hour to the person 20 people behind you (if of course it's 3 minutes for everyone's order) :).

Edited by sparks1093

I'd be fine with a food court layout if it meant only the cooks would be handling the food before it reached my plate.

With everything lying out on a buffet, you often don't know which food has been pre-fondled by fellow passengers. :)

I am not a buffet fan because of the "pre-fondled" (love that term;))food. I go to the buffet if it is the only available choice. I want someone to prepare and bring my food to me when on vacation. I do enough cooking, carrying plates and serving at home...LOL

Disney doesn't have a dinner buffet on their ships and it is definitely missed by my husband.

I LOVE a good buffet and would miss it too!

Wow, really? I haven't sailed either of the new big ships, but when I sailed Magic some years ago they definitely had buffet for dinner. Too bad that changed. A ship that is kid-heavy needs a buffet for dinner!

Wow, really? I haven't sailed either of the new big ships, but when I sailed Magic some years ago they definitely had buffet for dinner. Too bad that changed. A ship that is kid-heavy needs a buffet for dinner!

They don't have it on any of their ships now. I got off the Magic two days ago and was desperately in need of a dinner buffet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

They don't have it on any of their ships now. I got off the Magic two days ago and was desperately in need of a dinner buffet!

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

when did that happen?

http://disneycruise.disney.go.com/ships-activities/ships/magic/dining/cabanas/

they still post the buffet restaurnat aboard!