Wash your Hands

At Anthem of the Seas they have in Windjammer changed from the alcohol disinfectant to 'Wash your hands'.

At the entrance to Windjammer marketplace, each side has a wash room with sinks (also available on Quantum).

Now, it was enforced everyone to wash their hands instead of using the alcohol disinfectant. All guests were led through the wash room.

It is amazing that many do not understand the importance of washing hands before eating, and especially at a buffet.

Some did only rinse the hands slightly under the tap without soap and some tried to avoid washing hands.

However, the majority did wash their hands thoroughly with soap and warm water.

Pictures from Anthem Windjammer entrance:

wash.jpg

From the Cruise Compass: "Did you know the best way to prevent colds, flu, or gastrointestinal (norovirus) illnesses to simply wash your hands thoroughly with soap and warm water after restroom breaks or before eating anything?"

Here is a funny Royal Caribbean video to remind passengers to wash their hands while on board.

48etEql31D4

Its a sad day when it comes when someone has to be forced to wash their hands. For the record I always wash my hands, and when I am cruising I always have a small hand santizer on me at all times. I don't want to get sick and ruin my cruise

But hey Ive seen tons of people at my work and on cruises that walk out of a stall without washing their hands.

I'm a nurse and have taught senior nursing students. You'd be amazed at how many people, medical professionals included do not know the proper way to wash their hands or just don't even try!

Kudo's Anthem for at least attempting to stop the spread of illness on the ship! Shame on the passengers for not caring enough to spend 30 seconds washing their hands.

So instead of being upset- I'm going to say that it's a very interesting addition- one that I think is really, really good!

There are often enough debates about the alcohol wipes that point out 1) they are only effective for some things, and 2) they can be very irritating to some people's skin.

So to shift that to actual hand washing is a good thing!

I am a frequent hand washer, after every bathroom trip :D

So I think this addition is fantastic and not an eye sore at all.

It is amazing how many still do not wash their hands. I feel it just comes down to being LAZY! I guess they don't mind walking around with pee, crap, and who knows what else on their hands, spreading it all around and into their mouths! YUCK, not for me!

the numbers of doctors I saw in the toilets who didn't wash their hands - made my stomach turn.

I am a frequent hand washer, after every bathroom trip :D

I think its disgusting that people dont know hygiene.

Well done to royal for telling people to wash their hands before eating.

next think would be to explain to people how to use the correct silverware,.

its not a good sight to see kids not being able to use a knife and fork correctly.

parents fault in my opinion.

well done Royal !!

Your bestie

Interesting to see this..and good.

I try to make an extra effort to wash my hands/sanitize when on a cruise ship, but never fails to amaze me the amount of people that walk straight out from the bathroom stall back to the bar or restaurant.....ugh.

My husbands sister and our daughter were on their first cruise last year and the SIL refused to use the hand sanitizer and felt the one she had would do the trick. We always wash our hands and held our hands out to be sprayed by the station hand sanitizer. I like the idea of the sinks at the entrance to the WJ.

Is this a joke? I see plenty of women that don't even wash their hands after going to the bathroom! Now they expect them to actually wash their hands here??? :eek:

I think it is a great idea, but will people actually do it and if so correctly or just a rinse which is like not even washing in the first place

I think this is great and sad all at the same time. Its great as it will help to keep the germs down. As adults, it is sad and we should be MATURE enough to wash our hands all the time and to do it properly. I know many do not.

I work in healthcare and honestly, in over 10 cruises, we have eaten at the buffets maybe 4 times in those 10 cruises? People are just simply gross; they touch the food with their hands (instead of the utensils right in front of them!), they put their own spoons and forks into the buffet food, they sneeze or cough at the buffet and do not cover their mouth, or they simply just do not wash their hands all day then touch the utensils out there for use in the food so then the next person gets their germs and it goes on and on and on. It just totally grosses me and my husband out. We do our best to avoid buffets at all costs. This is how so many people get sick at such a rampant rate on a cruise ship. We also do not touch the railings on the stairs, use a paper towel to open the bathroom door to leave, etc. Being careful has paid off well for us.

I'm glad to see this is being enforced on the Anthem.

Is this a joke? I see plenty of women that don't even wash their hands after going to the bathroom! Now they expect them to actually wash their hands here??? :eek:

You just stated the obvious reason why. Because there are too many people that are disgusting and don't wash after going to the bathroom.

They should force washing AND sanitizer at food areas.

You just stated the obvious reason why. Because there are too many people that are disgusting and don't wash after going to the bathroom.

Completely agree

I'm thrilled to see this - the alcohol stuff plays havoc with my skin (just back from a few weeks on the Allure with the skin peeling off my hands because of the alcohol rub), and I much prefer proper soap and water washing. I'd also like to see them encouraging the use of paper napkins for using the communal tongs, but I suppose they have to weigh up the environmental impact against the health benefits.

Absolutely. They have found it hard to enforce sanitisers as some say they are allergic or sensitive. Everyone should be forced the wash their hands, not wet them, but properly wash them or be denied entry. I can take every precaution going myself but if someone walks out of the bathroom and picks up a serving spoon then its everyone else thats is at risk.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

It's nice that sink were put in so if you are coming from the pool or wherever you can wash before eating. I'm not a fan of being led through the wash room and forced to wash my hands. I'm not a child. Honestly, what are they going to do to passengers who politely refuse?

It's nice that sink were put in so if you are coming from the pool or wherever you can wash before eating. I'm not a fan of being led through the wash room and forced to wash my hands. I'm not a child. Honestly, what are they going to do to passengers who politely refuse?

Make it part of the booking conditions. Why would anyone refuse?

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

But why would one refuse..... honestly I think if people don't follow it then they should be refused to be let in until doing so. Its more of a health concern if those don't wash hands...and buffets are breeding grounds for germs that come from dirty hands....if restaurants can put in guidelines as far as what is required to be worn to enter then then should be able to enforce the washing hands some how....

Why would anyone be offended to be asked to wash their hands! people need to get over themselves and their sense of entitlement....

Would you rather have that disgusting person that went to the bathroom, touching door handles, toilet handles, toilet paper....and ?? :eek: moving along in front of you using the food utensils?

If there weren't people out there not washing, there wouldn't be a need to treat all people like children.

I'd rather be treated like a child than touch their "untouchables" due to bad hygiene.