Norwegian Cruise Line to Introduce A La Carte Specialty Dining Fleetwide

LauraS

I have ten NCL cruises in my history, I'm booked on two more, and I still have a CRC in the bank. However, I'm done with specialty dining, if not NCL.

When the New UDP was introduced, it made no sense to me as there was no savings relative to just paying the cover charge each night. Now I see where the savings is coming from! The per-restaurant cover charge at full price is the bargain when compared to paying a la carte for every single item consumed.

This certainly is a new NCL, and I don't like it. I guess it's all MDR all the time for me.

I have ten NCL cruises in my history, I'm booked on two more, and I still have a CRC in the bank. However, I'm done with specialty dining, if not NCL.

When the New UDP was introduced, it made no sense to me as there was no savings relative to just paying the cover charge each night. Now I see where the savings is coming from! The per-restaurant cover charge at full price is the bargain when compared to paying a la carte for every single item consumed.

This certainly is a new NCL, and I don't like it. I guess it's all MDR all the time for me.

Del Rio strikes again. I recall a thread from a couple months ago where this was discussed and I opined that passengers would have to pay a separate price for their appetizer and entree' and desert and many thought that wouldn't be the case. Guess it is. In any event one will have to work to keep their total at the old cover charge price.

The UDP seems to be good for some and not good for others. I saved over $100 by having the UDP on my November 10 day cruise. I guess it depends on what restaurant you eat at.

Hmmm, as promised :D - more "enhancements" coming to enrich the freestyle experience going with NCL under this new management. How wonderful, not :rolleyes:

How is this going to affect some of us with our Platinum perks - a matter of wait & see, just guessing. I see that "bouillabaisse" is now a new item, really ?? for LeBistro with an extra charge, oooookay.

Good luck to NCL in filling up those speciality dining slots in 2016 ... besides those with "grandfathered" packages & deals ... if & when we sail next on NCL, we will stick to the MDR as usual, already included in the "base" package (or, what's left of it)

Edited by mking8288

The only people truly affected are the ones who only eat in specialty restaurants 1 or 2 times on a cruise. Everyone else can buy the 3, 4, etc. day SDP and come out even more ahead than before these price changes. For that reason, this appears to me to be an overall win/win.

Edited by LrgPizza

This isn't what I was told. This is my first NCL cruise and I took the UDP. I was told that the "ala carte" restaurants are NOT part of the UDP.
I'd re-check that information, as on the smaller ships it would only leave Moderno and Teppanyaki.

Also, this is a quote from an NCL representative: Norwegian also will continue to sell Specialty Dining Packages that include meals at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina at a set price without extra a la carte charges.

Edited by NLH Arizona

Also, this is a quote from an NCL representative: Norwegian also will continue to sell Specialty Dining Packages that include meals at Cagney's, Le Bistro and La Cucina at a set price without extra a la carte charges.

Also available in NCL's press release: http://www.ncl.com/nclweb/pressroom/pressRelease.html?storyCode=PR_071415

This is not that big of a deal. It's the fast food value meal concept.

You can buy a burger, fries & drink individually for $6 or buy it as a complete meal for $5. Same concept, larger scale.

It's brilliant marketing. Thus way if you want to enjoy an alternate dining venue, you can prepay and save $$$. If not, you will pay more.

Funny what we complain about. You will complain that Milk is $4 a gallon, but have no issue paying $4 for you morning Starbucks.

The days of cruising all inclusive is history. As the cost of everything else has gone up in the leisure travel segment. Cruising is still a bargain over most other vacations. And the prices are still affordable. But, it is give and take. You want bargain prices. Well, sacrifices have to and will be made to keep the price point attractive. Just move on, life's so much fun. Complaining is a waste of valuable time and energy. I guess for you cruise vets, it will just take a while to adjust to it.

Some one has to pay for the refurbs and new builds after all.

This isn't what I was told. This is my first NCL cruise and I took the UDP. I was told that the "ala carte" restaurants are NOT part of the UDP.

There were ala carte restaurants before and those were not included to UDP, this change changes everything regarding that statement.

Andy is running the company, not Frank.

" I have looked at the pricing and felt that for the most part the pricing will be similar to the current cover charge. I thought people would like it. My wife and I are different. I generally only have a main course – she likes to have no main course and 2 appetizers (always watching her weight). People are different and this offers more flexibility."

Makes sense to me.

Stephen

Somewhat confusing. We have three cruises booked .The Breakaway in the Haven Sep, is anything changing.

SA Jan 2016 have dining package, and Copenhagen owners suite Sept 2016. Is this move going to change what we will pay, or are we grandfathered. Maybe this is a simple question to some, but not used to all this changing. Thanks.

We have the dining package on all three cruises.

Edited by Merriem

I wonder if you can just order desert? Eat at the MDR, but splurge on a speciality dining room desert sounds like a nice option, though I doubt this is their intent.

The Oreo cheesecake offered in Cagney's was in the buffet one night on the Gem. I noticed the pineapple served in Moderno was on the lunch BBQ, too. Not sure if the desserts in specialty dining are worth paying for.

This sounds horrible! Looks like NCL will no longer have specialty restaurants.

The one place you can get away from the crowds after fighting for a lounge chair by the tiny pool all day on the BA class ships and the search for a table at lunch.

Unless of course you are lucky enough to pay more money and get a vibe pass, where your actually paying for a chair! Or the Haven where you can have lunch and not wait for a table.

I can't see paying for the dining package and not being able to get a table because people made reservations for dessert! Nothing special about that.

Whats next a day pass for the Haven:eek: