"Welcome Back" Credit (Up to 60 Days After Returning)

Chunder Worthy

Since I more or less resolved that I would cruise again with Princess, I was a bit chagrined that during my Med cruise last month I failed to lay down the refundable deposit on a future cruise. This of course would have brought with it OBC (in addition to the deposit) on that future cruise.

Hoping to see what I could do about obtaining it after-the-fact, I called Princess. I was told that specific deposit deal was no longer available to me, BUT I could put down a deposit on their "Welcome Back" program. You just get a lesser amount of OBC later on (I forget the formula, but for sake of argument I think it was something like 66% of what you'd receive had you put down a deposit onboard). In any event, this official program is valid for cruisers within 60 days of your disembarkation. I guess it's for those of us who later on land, say, "Hmm, that WAS a nice time, maybe I'll take another cruise."

I mention because I'd bet novice cruisers like me are probably unaware of this. If somebody wants to fill in the exact OBC numbers for deposits laid down onboard vs. during the 60-days post-disembarkation, please do.

Edited by Chunder Worthy

Used to always get the"Welcome Home" FCD deal email once we got home. I think that they stopped sending out the email if you bought FCD's on the last cruise or even if you already have FCD's. So likely only people with no FCD's would get it but it doesn't sound as though you had FCD's nor got the email offer once home.

We always keep LOTs of FCD's on hand. Typically 5 to 6 each. Pays the same interest on your money as the bank does and no worry about booking more cruises than the number of FCD's that you have available.

Terry

Yes, it is about 2/3rds of the regular credit. Last year I was unpacking and found my form that wasn't turned in onboard. I called and bought one under this program when I went to use it on a booking, the OBC was less. Lesson learned, now I turn in first day of cruise

I know, I should have bought it onboard; I'm an idiot. Mea culpa! ;)

My guess is you're not an actual idiot, or you wouldn't have recognized that you made a mistake. You did, however, make a mistake.

If there's even half a chance you'll want to cruises Princess again, it really makes sense to get at least one FCD each. They're refundable and there's really no downside.

Jim

My guess is you're not an actual idiot, or you wouldn't have recognized that you made a mistake. You did, however, make a mistake.

If there's even half a chance you'll want to cruises Princess again, it really makes sense to get at least one FCD each. They're refundable and there's really no downside.

Jim

I had one of the older 'good for 4 years' FCD 'expire' as it was in USD (I bought one on a whim) and since the credit card it was put on likely was expired...and it was...Princess sent me a cheque for the $100 USD. Good timing since our CDN $ tanked so I actually kinda sorta 'made' money.

I always have 2 FCD on the go cuz you just never know.

HA - Of course I was being facetious. In fairness to me, it was more that even having had $625 or so of OBC, we went through that and amassed another $649, so (besides the daily tips x 2 and my penchant for having a cocktail or two daily, my companion bought a painting), when we got the form/request for FDC, I was just loathe to have them tack on another $100 or $200 to the ever-burgeoning tab. Additionally, I figured my next cruise would be in another 10 years, a decision with which I've made a serious downward adjustment.

HA - Of course I was being facetious. In fairness to me, it was more that even having had $625 or so of OBC, we went through that and amassed another $649, so (besides the daily tips x 2 and my penchant for having a cocktail or two daily, my companion bought a painting), when we got the form/request for FDC, I was just loathe to have them tack on another $100 or $200 to the ever-burgeoning tab. Additionally, I figured my next cruise would be in another 10 years, a decision with which I've made a serious downward adjustment.

Actually, the FCDs don't go on your shipboard tab - they are billed to the credit card you have on file. Glad you liked the cruise so much that you are ready to go again! Welcome to the cruise addiction club :)

Since I more or less resolved that I would cruise again with Princess, I was a bit chagrined that during my Med cruise last month I failed to lay down the refundable deposit on a future cruise. This of course would have brought with it OBC (in addition to the deposit) on that future cruise.

Hoping to see what I could do about obtaining it after-the-fact, I called Princess. I was told that specific deposit deal was no longer available to me, BUT I could put down a deposit on their "Welcome Back" program. You just get a lesser amount of OBC later on (I forget the formula, but for sake of argument I think it was something like 66% of what you'd receive had you put down a deposit onboard). In any event, this official program is valid for cruisers within 60 days of your disembarkation. I guess it's for those of us who later on land, say, "Hmm, that WAS a nice time, maybe I'll take another cruise."

I mention because I'd bet novice cruisers like me are probably unaware of this. If somebody wants to fill in the exact OBC numbers for deposits laid down onboard vs. during the 60-days post-disembarkation, please do.

I had always heard that you can purchase after the fact with the reduced OBC however I have not heard it called that. Its bad enough that they reduced the OBC and the life span of the FCC a couple of years ago. I can only imagine what the OBC is when purchased after. :rolleyes:

Slightly off topic but perhaps of interest to some...I noticed that Princess has added the FCC form to the Personalizer so you can print it out and have it ready to drop off at the future cruise desk when you sail.

Just FYI for folks who are planners and like to fill out papers in advance. :D

Slightly off topic but perhaps of interest to some...I noticed that Princess has added the FCC form to the Personalizer so you can print it out and have it ready to drop off at the future cruise desk when you sail.

Just FYI for folks who are planners and like to fill out papers in advance. :D

THANK YOU! I have noted that to ask the TA-oh, find out when the original cruise was cancelled and ask for a printout of the email confirming I'm to get AUD$55 On Board Credit to take with me. I'd better check and do that today when I go in to make my Cruise Payment-the email should still be easily found.

Again THANK YOU for a discreet reminder about something I had overlooked. Well I AM a Blue Card Holder but thanks to Cruise Critic, I feel very confident. The friend who's also sailing on the same cruise is a nervous What-Do-I-Do? I just laugh, and tell him what might help and leave him to sort himself out.

We also made the "mistake" of not purchasing FCC while onboard our last cruise in Jan. Upon returning home we received the "Welcome Home Offer" from princess and took advantage of it. Yes, the OBC is less, but still a good deal if you happen to make the "mistake" I guess it's kinda like a second chance. : )

I am attaching a copy of part of the letter we received from Princess explaining the Welcome Home Offer.

ImageUploadedByForums1439481396.088758.jpg.29de6a6b765015ff5c8309592af8f79a.jpg

Edited by #1Nanna

You can do a BVE and buy an FCC while onboard. It'll be the same benefits as if you bought it while on a cruise.

Is this correct? I thought that FCD's done on BVE's were the lower amount of OBC as well.

Terry

It is correct. I once found myself without any FCD (we had foolishly thought one each was enough) so we booked a BVE and bought more FCD. We got the regular amount of OBC since we bought them onboard. Doing a BVE requires making a booking just like a cruise does and the OBC from an FCD purchased on a BVE (whew!) is the same amount as that purchased onboard during any cruise.

Aahhh, good to know. Not that there are any BVE's within 150 mies of Vancouver (Seattle).

OBC from an FCD purchased on a BVE (whew!)

I re-read what we both wrote...Acronym City!

ABCDEFG

HIJKLMNOP

QRSTUVWXYZ

Over Over,

Terry

Edited by AE_Collector

Used to always get the"Welcome Home" FCD deal email once we got home. I think that they stopped sending out the email if you bought FCD's on the last cruise or even if you already have FCD's. So likely only people with no FCD's would get it but it doesn't sound as though you had FCD's nor got the email offer once home.

We always keep LOTs of FCD's on hand. Typically 5 to 6 each. Pays the same interest on your money as the bank does and no worry about booking more cruises than the number of FCD's that you have available.

Terry

That's the procedure that I recall as well. Seeing that we always purchase FC while on board, I haven't seen the Welcome Back notification but know that it exists at reduced benefits.

We just used our last four year credit towards a cruise on the Royal next month. Whether we purchase new credits will depend, I suspect, on how we like the Royal. We've been so loyal to Princess for many years, but I think we are being weaned away by other lines. I am prepared to be disappointed in September, based on what friends have told us about the new ships. Sure hope they're wrong; it would be like dumping an old girl friend. My first princess cruise was on the original Pacific Princess back in 1986. How time has flown.

I'm confused - please can someone tell me what FCD. FCC. BVE mean?

FCD = Future Cruise Deposit

FCC = Future Cruise Certificate, another name for FCD

= Future Cruise Consultant

BVE = Bon Voyage Experience -- at several USA embarkation ports non-passengers can visit the ship for 3 to 4 hours for a fee of $39 which can be applied to a cruise booked within a certain period of time. While onboard for a BVE, you can purchase FCDs (FCCs).

Where on the Princess web site can you see if you have and FCC left?

In the My Princess section of the web site.

Look in the "Circle Savings Account" information on the left.

(Note the onboard credits listed are based on the minimum possible. Once using an FCC to book, the correct OBC will be applied.)