Global Entry at FLL Term 2 ??

redrightreturning

Read recently on another thread that there is now a Global Entry line (and maybe a kiosk?) at Terminal 2 in Lauderdale.

Was this just temporary for the arrival of all the T/A cruises or is this still in existence? I travel internationally for business and GE is the greatest thing since sliced bread!!!

Global Entry is just for international flights landing in the US at major US airports, not ships. I keep on double-checking that to see if ships have been included. Since trans-Atlantic cruise passengers go through Immigration and Customs at the pier, Global Entry doesn't apply. :( I just checked the site and didn't see any change.

I've never flown from a foreign country and landed at FLL so I don't know what the scoop is there.

Edited by Pam in CA

Perhaps my post was not clear enough. A couple of comments on a recent thread on this CC Princess site stated that a GLOBAL ENTRY line was in existence at FLL Princess Pier 2 Terminal at Customs and Immigration AT THE PIER last month, NOT THE AIRPORT, which coincided with the arrival of Royal/Regal/Emerald Transatlantic arrivals. I am GE. I know how it works and, yes, it has not been for ships, until now, maybe.

QUESTION IS: Was it a temporary experiment or is it still in operation???

I just chanced upon your post because there's an awesome trip report on this board that I've been reading.

I don't really know the terminal that Celebrity typically uses at Port Everglades, but I can tell you about my RECENT disembarkation from Celebrity Infinity, going from San Francisco through the Panama Canal. Date: October 5, 2015.

Entering the terminal building, I saw a Global Entry sign. I inquired of the guard that was near it as to what the significance of this particular sign might be and I was instructed to go to a specific location within the terminal by following a series of signs that directed me to a particular line. I, literally, walked around a significant group of people and presented myself to a customs official who immediately took me to an agent who looked at my passport and told me to "have a nice day." I was in/out of the customs area in about 5 minutes and that only because of the distance that I had to walk across the terminal.

Reports of that particular disembarkation said that people were in line anywhere from one hour forty-five minutes to two hours to get beyond the customs agents.

Now, I have reported this several times. Without fail, people have come back and said that Global Entry is only available at airports. Without fail, I have said that I had this PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and this is not supposition or third hand information. I inquired of the customs agent and was advised that there WILL BE kiosks installed and that IN THE MEANTIME they are honoring Global Entry participants.

I just chanced upon your post because there's an awesome trip report on this board that I've been reading.

I don't really know the terminal that Celebrity typically uses at Port Everglades, but I can tell you about my RECENT disembarkation from Celebrity Infinity, going from San Francisco through the Panama Canal. Date: October 5, 2015.

Entering the terminal building, I saw a Global Entry sign. I inquired of the guard that was near it as to what the significance of this particular sign might be and I was instructed to go to a specific location within the terminal by following a series of signs that directed me to a particular line. I, literally, walked around a significant group of people and presented myself to a customs official who immediately took me to an agent who looked at my passport and told me to "have a nice day." I was in/out of the customs area in about 5 minutes and that only because of the distance that I had to walk across the terminal.

Reports of that particular disembarkation said that people were in line anywhere from one hour forty-five minutes to two hours to get beyond the customs agents.

Now, I have reported this several times. Without fail, people have come back and said that Global Entry is only available at airports. Without fail, I have said that I had this PERSONAL EXPERIENCE and this is not supposition or third hand information. I inquired of the customs agent and was advised that there WILL BE kiosks installed and that IN THE MEANTIME they are honoring Global Entry participants.

Did you need to show your GE card or were you able to just go to the GE line?

We disembarked the Royal Princess in April of this year. As we were waiting in the huge line to go through customs and immigration we noticed this older couple bypass everything. We wondered why and how they could do this.

Well, turned out they were on the flight home with us. My husband asked them how they managed to bypass the huge line. "Nexus cards" was their answer. So DH and I applied for and received Nexus cards and are looking forward to trying them out on our next entry at Port Everglades in December.

This was the original thread I was referencing. Just trying to determine if it is still there. Going out on Emerald 11/14 and hoping it's there on 11/21 return!!

Will determine our disembark time request.

So I presume that you had to show your card since they did not have kiosks. I don't usually carry my card since they are not good at the kiosks. I will take my card along on my upcoming Celebrity cruise.

My wife and I used the Global Entry Line in Ft. Lauderdale on October 17. We were in the northern end of the port so I'm guessing it was Terminal 2. The line is at the far left of the arrival hall and there are no "Airport Kiosks". I have a card, but my wife does not and we were concerned she wouldn't be accepted. No problem as her Passport had a sticker that saved the day. The Immigration Officer said that card wasn't necessary.

Great to know.

Thanks so much for this info. The customs lines recently have gotten SO slow.

Last time we had to wait upstairs in the terminal for a good half hour before even being allowed to go down the escalator to the customs area.

Do you know if we can show the Global Entry proof up there to someone to bypass that line also?

Edited by chamima

Global Entry is just for international flights landing in the US at major US airports, not ships. I keep on double-checking that to see if ships have been included. Since trans-Atlantic cruise passengers go through Immigration and Customs at the pier, Global Entry doesn't apply. :( I just checked the site and didn't see any change.

I've never flown from a foreign country and landed at FLL so I don't know what the scoop is there.

Pam, you must have missed the posts. There has recently been a Global Entry line at Pier 2. I cannot speak for other cruise lines, but several folks have reported this for October disembarkations in FLL. I am looking forward to using this on November 15th.

OKAY - so I did not realize so many others had jumped in.

This is even better news that other lines are helped out. One would assume that the huge terminal used for Oasis and Allure behemoths will also have this access (not that I ever intend to be on those puppies).

My read of it is we'll have priority line access for a while and they will check usage and count and that will determine whether justified to put in machines. It may take a while for some people to realize they can use it (Nexus , Global Entry).

Once the machines are in, it's fingerprint. I always have my Nexus card on me anyway, plus passport of course, so I expect NP for this terrific new feature.

And I will be sure to THANK THE CBP officer for providing the service. Let's ALL THANK THEM and hope it encourages permanence.

Edited by steelers36

Great to know.

Thanks so much for this info. The customs lines recently have gotten SO slow.

Last time we had to wait upstairs in the terminal for a good half hour before even being allowed to go down the escalator to the customs area.

Do you know if we can show the Global Entry proof up there to someone to bypass that line also?

That would be the obvious thing to do - simply let them know you have a priority line access and you should be able to go.

REDRIGHT

If you absolutely need to know, I would suggest contacting CBP at FLL airport or the Port Everglades cruiseport, or whatever the local main office is and ask.

You never know if an operational issue might cancel the service the morning of your arrival (or mine on the 15th). By all indications, it's here for the time being as a service and it has to run for a while to do an evaluation. Hopefully the evaluation is for whether to setup machines or not.

Just thank them for the new service upon clearing.

So I presume that you had to show your card since they did not have kiosks. I don't usually carry my card since they are not good at the kiosks. I will take my card along on my upcoming Celebrity cruise.

My Global Entry and Nexus cards are always in my possession. You just never know when they might be needed. A quick Ontario border hop for some Timmys ( the real stuff Dutchies! not the yankee version) some peameal and a quick hit to the Beer Store immediately comes to mind.

Did you need to show your GE card or were you able to just go to the GE line?

I had my card with me, but I didn't need to show it. In fact, the customs agent simply looked up my passport number on a database.

@chamima. I'm not familiar with Princess procedures for disembarkation. I've never been held up in any sort of upstairs terminal area before being allowed down escalators? I don't know if you're referring to being held up by ship personnel or by customs people? I would assume that your effectiveness in dealing with anyone before you get to actual customs lines would be dependent upon the knowledge of that individual. And I would also assume that you'd need documentation for that type of person, like the GE card itself.

I've just gotten into the habit of carrying my GE card, as well as my passport, whenever I go out of the country.

REDRIGHT

If you absolutely need to know, I would suggest contacting CBP at FLL airport or the Port Everglades cruiseport, or whatever the local main office is and ask.

You never know if an operational issue might cancel the service the morning of your arrival (or mine on the 15th). By all indications, it's here for the time being as a service and it has to run for a while to do an evaluation. Hopefully the evaluation is for whether to setup machines or not.

Just thank them for the new service upon clearing.

Excellent idea. I will do so and report back here. Since it is now 6pm eastern Friday I probably won't get anyone until Monday. Guvmint work, ya know. Standby. And I will be sure to thank the CBP officer upon clearance!

Edited by redrightreturning

Excellent idea. I will do so and report back here. Since it is now 6pm eastern Friday I probably won't get anyone until Monday. Guvmint work, ya know. Standby. And I will be sure to thank the CBP officer upon clearance!

Ships are coming and going all weekend. CBP never sleeps.

My Global Entry and Nexus cards are always in my possession. You just never know when they might be needed. A quick Ontario border hop for some Timmys ( the real stuff Dutchies! not the yankee version) some peameal and a quick hit to the Beer Store immediately comes to mind.

Not being close driving distance to Canada I don't carry my Global Entry Card always. And they don't want to see it at airports. So I keep it in a safe place at home. Acccording to Member123 won't need it for Global Entry at the cruiseport either, they look up by passport number, but I will slip it into my wallet just in case.

Have to say been on 52 cruises and have yet to encounter a long line or wait at Customs and Immigration at any cruise port. Never thought, wish they had Global Entry. If they have Global Entry I will take advantage of it though.

My wife and I used the Global Entry Line in Ft. Lauderdale on October 17. We were in the northern end of the port so I'm guessing it was Terminal 2. The line is at the far left of the arrival hall and there are no "Airport Kiosks". I have a card, but my wife does not and we were concerned she wouldn't be accepted. No problem as her Passport had a sticker that saved the day. The Immigration Officer said that card wasn't necessary.

My wife and I also used GE in FLL when we got off of the Royal in September. The custom line was incredibly long and there were very few people in the GE line. We flew through customs and were off to the airport in no time.....GE saved the day.

Pam, you must have missed the posts. There has recently been a Global Entry line at Pier 2. I cannot speak for other cruise lines, but several folks have reported this for October disembarkations in FLL. I am looking forward to using this on November 15th.

OKAY - so I did not realize so many others had jumped in.

This is even better news that other lines are helped out. One would assume that the huge terminal used for Oasis and Allure behemoths will also have this access (not that I ever intend to be on those puppies).

My read of it is we'll have priority line access for a while and they will check usage and count and that will determine whether justified to put in machines. It may take a while for some people to realize they can use it (Nexus , Global Entry).

Once the machines are in, it's fingerprint. I always have my Nexus card on me anyway, plus passport of course, so I expect NP for this terrific new feature.

And I will be sure to THANK THE CBP officer for providing the service. Let's ALL THANK THEM and hope it encourages permanence.

Great thread. As for ther cruise lines RC has a Global Entery line at terminal 18 in FLL.

Edited by A&L_Ont