can i take extension cord in cpap case??

creel5857

ok....I know that might sound crazy but we have heard some crazy stories back lately from a few well-traveled individuals in our area about oddities between different security people.......for those who take cpap on board airplane is it ok to stick my extension cord inside that case rather than puttiing it in checked baggage....

I do it all the time and have never had a problem. Just coil it up neatly and put a rubber band or Velcro strip around to keep it neat.

Once on the ship I do unplug it in the morning and put it away so it doesn't get in the cabin steward's way during cleaning.

I carry a letter from my doctor explaining the necessity for the extension cord with my travel documents. I also put a copy in the case and in the luggage. No problems with airport or cruise port security.

Seattle last summer boarding the Stendam security wanted to take our CPAP surge bars which were in our CPAP cases. After a lengthy discussion about they are part of the medical equipment, they took them & we had to go to the front desk on board the ship & given the ships extension cords!! We did get ours back but what a hassle. They said it was a fire issue, Hummmm, their cords were just like ours?!?! This was the first time we ever had an issue. Ever since we put the cords in our suitcase.

I pack my CPAP in a tote-style carry-on, along with various outlet adaptors and a couple of extension cords of a couple of lengths. Those are just extension cords, and don't have the multiple outlets at one end.

DO NOT take a cord with a surge protector! The ship can't handle that!

Since the tote is medical equipment, it doesn't count as a second carry-on for the plane.

Once in my cabin, I use either (or both) cords, as necessary for length. I have the steward tape the cords along the wall, so that it is out of the way for walking and vacuuming.

We put the CPAP into it's case and hand-carried that. We also took a 15 ft extension cord, but packed that in the luggage. We flew from the US to eastern Europe. No problems, and we did remove the cord each morning that ran from the desk over to the bed.

We also carried a plug adapter (European round prong to US flat blades) and used the 220 volt desk outlet. We had camera and laptop chargers plugged into the 110 volt outlet. Most, if not all, CPAP machines will work from 100 volts up to 240 volts.

We also contacted Ship's Services about 2 weeks out and requested two, 4 liter jugs of distilled water. They were $4 each and were waiting in our cabin on arrival. Our cruise was 31 days, and we used all but one liter of the water.

Edited by TAD2005

We put the CPAP into it's case and hand-carried that. We also took a 15 ft extension cord, but packed that in the luggage. We flew from the US to eastern Europe. No problems, and we did remove the cord each morning that ran from the desk over to the bed.

We also carried a plug adapter (European round prong to US flat blades) and used the 220 volt desk outlet. We had camera and laptop chargers plugged into the 110 volt outlet. Most, if not all, CPAP machines will work from 100 volts up to 240 volts.

We also contacted Ship's Services about 2 weeks out and requested two, 4 liter jugs of distilled water. They were $4 each and were waiting in our cabin on arrival. Our cruise was 31 days, and we used all but one liter of the water.

I do the same thing with the 2 cords I carry in my CPAP case. That's a good tip on the distilled water. I think I'll buy a liter or two onshore and bring it on the ship. All of our phone and camera chargers and my CPAP work on either 220 or 110 volt.

Edited by Btimmer

Seattle last summer boarding the Stendam security wanted to take our CPAP surge bars which were in our CPAP cases. After a lengthy discussion about they are part of the medical equipment, they took them & we had to go to the front desk on board the ship & given the ships extension cords!! We did get ours back but what a hassle. They said it was a fire issue, Hummmm, their cords were just like ours?!?! This was the first time we ever had an issue. Ever since we put the cords in our suitcase.

When we reminded our TA last week that we need a gallon of distilled water in our suite for the CPAP, he called back and said HAL asked him to remind us that we need to bring an extension cord (which is always packed in with the CPAP case anyway)

Sometimes I think it just depends on who you are talking to at HAL!!

I used to order the overpriced distilled water as well. The company that supplies my Cpap said you can use regular water and just rinse out your hose water dispenser and filter with a solution of vinegar and water when you return home. Hal's tap water is filtered anyway. Save your self the hassle.

When we reminded our TA last week that we need a gallon of distilled water in our suite for the CPAP, he called back and said HAL asked him to remind us that we need to bring an extension cord (which is always packed in with the CPAP case anyway)

As I said this was the FIRST & ONLY time we ever had an issue, same cords

each time & just like ones issued by HAL !! Maybe just cranky security in Seattle this one time. We always have packed the cords in CPAP case.

Yes , nice CPAP doesn't count as second carry on !!

Cheers!!!

As I said this was the FIRST & ONLY time we ever had an issue, same cords

each time & just like ones issued by HAL !!

:confused: You posted that your cords had a surge protector. That isn't the same as HAL's cords, then, as theirs have multiple outlets, but don't have the surge protector feature in them.

You can't use a cord with a surge protector on a HAL ship.

There is a difference between an extension cord and a power strip with surge protection.

Sent from my iPhone using Forums mobile app

I use a CPAP as well and always pack an extra long extension cord in the same case as my CPAP carry case. Never had a problem anywhere.

Thanks for tip about HAL's water being filtered.

Edited by JimAOk1945