Hogging deck chairs..... Regent policy?

Robyn2

I do hope Regent have changed their policy on dealing with selfish guests who hog deck chairs all day, sometimes not using them for hours. This happened on our last Regent cruise and we pointed it out on the comment cards at the half way stage. There was no change for the rest of the cruise. I do think this needs to be addressed. Everyone is entitled to some good space at the pool but the same people are in prime position day in day out. Any suggestions for handling this if the crew turn a blind eye , do we need to prepare for battle on our next trip?😎

Regent's policy is that guests should not reserve sun-loungers

We did see the policy enforced for a few days on Mariner last December

Personal belongings that had been left on unoccupied loungers for excessive time periods were moved by staff to a table set up near the Pool. We nicknamed it "the table of shame"

Thank you, love "the table of shame"! Amazing how thoughtless some people can be! I'm a bit of a rules and regulations person so it really bothers me. Seems the GM is the way to go or failing that...I'll have to start a "TOS" myself :D.

I love your idea of starting a TOS if the staff doesn't. As a kid I was a "hall monitor" in elementary school when they still had halls. My task was to see that rules were followed. I must admit that characteristic has a tendency to reappear when I see the chaise hogs.

Cruise Critic is great at making signs -- would love to see a "TOS" sign for the table (bet they would sell a lot of them on all cruise lines).

Robyn2: I need to adjust my suggest from before. While talking to the G.M. is still a good idea, I would first talk to someone working on the pool deck. If they fail to respond, I'd then go to the G.M.'s office.

Lol Eager2Travel.....it's hard to change, you would make a great TOS monitor :)

TC thank you for that, I won't jump the gun with the GM, I'll set up the TOS first. The hoggers really only happened on one cruise and it was the same large group always in the same spot. Hopefully we'll be 'hogger' free on our next trip.

Once saw pool attendants on the Voyager accepting money to hold chairs. Happened to run into the captain about an hour later. Problem never reoccurred.

That is outrageous. Glad you reported it.

I have developed a practice the past couple of cruises, which while not foolproof, has supported me in a couple of "encounters". I come up to the pool deck, stop at the pool bar for a beverage, and while I wait, I turn the timer on my cell phone. (I keep my phone off for voice and data, but use it as a camera and for things such as this) After 10 minutes in which time I have been scoping out obvious "hogged" chairs, I pick one and sit down. If a person returns in under the 30 minutes, I apologize and move to chair two (there are always more than one candidate). After thirty minutes the chair is mine. A couple times, people have returned, I show them my running timer and offer if they can prove me wrong I will move. Haven't moved yet.

I do not fudge the start, always doing it in front of a staff member I could call on to verify my start time. Never been punched or yelled at. Though I have not made friends with the chair hogs. Of course that was never my intent. Frequently I have stayed an hour or more and never been challenged. By the way, the first thing I look for is a book from the ship's library. It was most likely borrowed for that sole purpose.

Edited by TWG_ag

I'd be apt to be a little less heavy-handed, but you're perfectly within your rights. I might set that alarm (good idea), or just look at the clock on the deck. When I chose a chair, I'd move their stuff to a side table or somewhere like that, and just "move in" (if there's a table of shame, great!) If the occupants came back, I'd say, "oh, your things had been here for such a long time that I thought I'd make use of this comfy chair". Said with a smile, I might not make an enemy.

I have developed a practice the past couple of cruises, which while not foolproof, has supported me in a couple of "encounters". I come up to the pool deck, stop at the pool bar for a beverage, and while I wait, I turn the timer on my cell phone. (I keep my phone off for voice and data, but use it as a camera and for things such as this) After 10 minutes in which time I have been scoping out obvious "hogged" chairs, I pick one and sit down. If a person returns in under the 30 minutes, I apologize and move to chair two (there are always more than one candidate). After thirty minutes the chair is mine. A couple times, people have returned, I show them my running timer and offer if they can prove me wrong I will move. Haven't moved yet.

I do not fudge the start, always doing it in front of a staff member I could call on to verify my start time. Never been punched or yelled at. Though I have not made friends with the chair hogs. Of course that was never my intent. Frequently I have stayed an hour or more and never been challenged. By the way, the first thing I look for is a book from the ship's library. It was most likely borrowed for that sole purpose.

Really? What if someone is in the pool? We have frequently been in the pool longer than 30 minutes and you'd normally leave your bags, a towel and whatnot on the lounger. I'd hate to come back all wet and have you on my chair!

Honestly, some of you people are making me feel as though I don't want to go on our first cruise on Regent this year.

This is what I agree with. I have seen folks come out first thing in the morning and hog several chairs with a book, a flip here and a flop there and never arrive at the chairs until the afternoon. That, I believe, is different than folks who come out and sit, maybe go to breakfast for 30 minutes, go into the pool or are just talking with someone for a few minutes.

Personally, I would not think of saving chair to go to another area on the ship, such as bingo or the gym. But being timed by another passenger is just wrong, wrong, wrong!

I'd be apt to be a little less heavy-handed, but you're perfectly within your rights. I might set that alarm (good idea), or just look at the clock on the deck. When I chose a chair, I'd move their stuff to a side table or somewhere like that, and just "move in" (if there's a table of shame, great!) If the occupants came back, I'd say, "oh, your things had been here for such a long time that I thought I'd make use of this comfy chair". Said with a smile, I might not make an enemy.

None of you are within your rights to touch someone else's things. If you see there is a chair being hogged for a long period, call one of the staff and tell them.

I have seen fights breakout on cruises over things like this. You are causing additional stress for yourselves and other passengers over something like this?

"O" does a pretty good job at this, same company should be simple. The crew on "O" have a small chip they lay on the lounger, still on the lounger when they come around they take the stuff and but it on the table near the pool bar. It seems to work.

Agree that Oceania seems to have a good plan. No one should be able to "save" a lounger indefinitely. potterp, unfortunately, chair hogs (many people "save" their loungers at 6:00 a.m.) have ruined it for people like you that want to spend more than a half an hour in the pool. Loungers sit with books and other belongings for hours on end without being used while other people search for a place to sit. This type of policy is wanted and needed on all cruise lines. This is not a Regent "thing" but is on most major cruise lines.

None of you are within your rights to touch someone else's things. If you see there is a chair being hogged for a long period, call one of the staff and tell them.

I have seen fights breakout on cruises over things like this. You are causing additional stress for yourselves and other passengers over something like this?

You are right of course, and in fact I've never actually done this. I was mainly making the point that I would try to be tactful. But it is tough asking the staff to do this.

BTW, I can't imagine being in the pool for 30 minutes either, or the hot tub, but I guess it's possible. Perhaps the limit should be an hour.

Not really that is why they have staff---someone working the cruise should be the Pool Manager making sure everything is working - from the lounges, towels, water and servers.

It shouldn't ever be left to the guest to do that job.

Not really that is why they have staff---someone working the cruise should be the Pool Manager making sure everything is working - from the lounges, towels, water and servers.

It shouldn't ever be left to the guest to do that job.

I totally agree - there appears to be a lack of supervision on the pool deck, except for maybe the food area.

BTW - I could easily stay in the pool for more than 30 minutes and I have seen many people do laps for long periods of time.

gnomie :)

Really? What if someone is in the pool? We have frequently been in the pool longer than 30 minutes and you'd normally leave your bags, a towel and whatnot on the lounger.

I have seen folks come out first thing in the morning and hog several chairs with a book, a flip here and a flop there and never arrive at the chairs until the afternoon. That, I believe, is different than folks who come out and sit, maybe go to breakfast for 30 minutes, go into the pool or are just talking with someone for a few minutes.

Personally, I would not think of saving chair to go to another area on the ship, such as bingo or the gym. But being timed by another passenger is just wrong, wrong, wrong!

If someone is in the pool, fine.

Going to breakfast is not a pool activity - any more than bingo or the gym.

Agree with ededmd, pool is fine, no problem other reservations when not on the deck are not, like the bar, quick slip back to a suite. Over lunch or other activities away from pool, no. You clear up and take your chances when you turn up again.