Advice on clothing to take for upcoming cruise

Bpos

Dear fellow Aussie Cruisers

I am in a dilemna on what clothing to take on my upcoming cruise in two weeks - can you help me?

The cruise (from the roll call) seems to be predominately folk from the USA and old England with a few of us colonials to make up the rest of the passenger list.

I have figured out that to mingle and be accepted by our USA friends that I should take T Shirts embossed with the "I LOVE NYC" logo and wear baseball caps (at all times) back to front to really fit in. Both my wife and I have a dozen shirts each, so embossed to take so that should take care of at least half the passenger list.

However, what do we take to fit in with the Poms? - I know they will probably not appreciate the hat with corks on strings so what should I do?

My wife has suggested I take sandals (different colours) and short socks for daytime and long socks for more formal occasions - is this good form and will the Poms accept me in this garb?

My wife has also suggested that we could get gear covered with pearly sequins including caps which she says would give the impression of "Royalty" to our English friends - but that seems a little over the top to me and may confuse our USA guests.

Normally we would only pack shorts, singlets (white) and thongs but as we are in a suite on this cruise, we do need your help in selecting our wardrobe so that we do not stand out and are not deemed to be "without culture" or "class" by our fellow overseas passengers.

Please help me?

Normally we would only pack shorts, singlets (white) and thongs but as we are in a suite on this cruise, we do need your help in selecting our wardrobe so that we do not stand out and are not deemed to be "without culture" or "class" by our fellow overseas passengers.

Please help me?

If you want to dress to impress the thing to do for the Poms is to dress like an American, and for Americans you dress like a Pom.

So Stetson and boots for our English cousins. Around the pool, unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt, long trousers and white golf shoes.

For our American friends, bowler, pin striped suit and umbrella while strolling the deck. Around the pool, jodhpurs and pith helmet. Swagger stick optional.

This will probably necessitate quite a few trips back to your suite for quick changes, but in the pursuit of sartorial elegance, there is no such thing as excess.

Whatever you do, don't dress like a New Zealander and bring shame on us all. :eek:

Edited by SinbadThePorter

If you want to dress to impress the thing to do for the Poms is to dress like an American, and for Americans you dress like a Pom.

So Stetson and boots for our English cousins. Around the pool, unbuttoned Hawaiian shirt, long trousers and white golf shoes.

For our American friends, bowler, pin striped suit and umbrella while strolling the deck. Around the pool, jodhpurs and pith helmet. Swagger stick optional.

This will probably necessitate quite a few trips back to your suite for quick changes, but in the pursuit of sartorial elegance, there is no such thing as excess.

Whatever you do, don't dress like a New Zealander and bring shame on us all. :eek:

Exactly the advice I was looking for - off to the shops first thing in the morning.

My understanding is that the only difference is that the singlet would be black instead of white and no cork hat under any circumstances. Dinner shirt =swandri. Dress shoes = red band gumboots.

Yes don't do that because we don't want an Australian dressing as awesome as us. [emoji3]

Sent from my iPhone using Forums

Normally we would only pack shorts, singlets (white) and thongs but as we are in a suite on this cruise, we do need your help in selecting our wardrobe so that we do not stand out and are not deemed to be "without culture" or "class" by our fellow overseas passengers. Please help me?

From our experience and perspective as an American who did a 14-day Sydney to Auckland sailing, I will give some practical suggestions.

1. Don't forget that things can get much cooler in the southern part of New Zealand (assuming you are doing that type of sailing). It can be cooler for that part of the trip.

2. Don't worry that much for impressing others. Lots of dressing styles/standards that you will see. What really cares that much?

3. Don't forget the priority for comfort as many of your tour days will be busy and active. Those feet need protection and support. Fashion is fine, but this type of travel deserves the right, best comfort and protection for your valuable feet.

THANKS! Enjoy! Terry in Ohio

Enjoyed a 14-day, Jan. 20-Feb. 3, 2014, Sydney to Auckland adventure, getting a big sampling for the wonders of "down under” before and after this cruise. Go to:

http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1974139

for more info and many pictures of these amazing sights in this great part of the world. Now at 157,482 views for this posting.

My big question is why do you feel that you have to fit in with them? Be a proud Aussie for dogs sake, without any cringing inferiority complex please.

I'm sorry but your initial post, to me, sounds like you feel inferior, and I sincerely apologise if this is not the case.

Be proud, blue singlet, a pair of stubbies and thongs, the same for you with the addition of an esky of beer, with the explanation to those that ask that it is too far to walk to the bar.

Edited by Russell21

My first question is, which cruise line? This has a major bearing on how formal you dress. i.e, the singlet with the custard stain down the front and stubbies and no foot wear for P&O or the Polo shirt, cargo shorts and the thongs with the bottle opener embedded in them for Cunard. These things may not seem major but they do make a difference to being accepted as part of the 'IN' crowd.

Nah most Kiwis want to be Aussies anyway.

Not me [emoji1181] I love to visit Australia but can't imagine wanting to live there and become Australian!

Isnt nzers there a huge percentage of the population of some parts of Queensland such as the Gold Coast?

Not me [emoji1181] I love to visit Australia but can't imagine wanting to live there and become Australian!

Isnt nzers there a huge percentage of the population of some parts of Queensland such as the Gold Coast?

To be honest if I had to leave Australia NZ would be my first choice.

At one stage in the 70s Bondi had something like the 5th highest number of Kiwis of any city in the world.

How about taking some budgie smugglers with the different countries flags on them and walk around the ship in them - different country every day - that will keep everyone happy.

...might not work if you have Malaysians on your cruise though:eek:lol

Pack a nice large hankie to put on your head and tie a knot in each corner when sitting in the sun.

Please see here for some tips on correct attire

http://thegraphicsfairy.com/wp-content/uploads/blogger/_CarNcodpCMA/TUGV5ESrfXI/AAAAAAAAKmA/xn_YUSNrhOM/s1600/mrdarcy-graphicsfairy004a.jpg

And Gentlemen

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/736x/bc/26/68/bc26686ddf2188ef5fc6e490f6686b23.jpg

Ladies may like this

http://vignette1.wikia.nocookie.net/janeausten/images/7/78/Elizabeth-Bennet-elizabeth-bennet-31632202-283-424.jpg/revision/latest?cb=20131126183650

So gird up your loincloth and put on your pith helmet

Dont forget to take the pith :D

Regards

John

How about taking some budgie smugglers with the different countries flags on them and walk around the ship in them - different country every day - that will keep everyone happy.

Multi flagged budgie smugglers, that'd be smick.

Had to explain to one. Female CD that shielas don't wear budgie smugglers, 'cause they don't have a budgie.

I'm picturing the op doing a clothing mashup.

A pith helmet with budgie smugglers and knee socks and sandals and a flag as a cape.

With a tie to make it mdr ready.

And for cold nights a kangaroo onesie.

Sounds like pure class to me.

I'm picturing the op doing a clothing mashup.

A pith helmet with budgie smugglers and knee socks and sandals and a flag as a cape.

With a tie to make it mdr ready.

And for cold nights a kangaroo onesie.

Here we have a perfect example for the entire family

https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/564x/ce/2e/f2/ce2ef26156c8ef0210ad839cf9a0a6a7.jpg

Regards

John

Edited by VK3DQ

Dear fellow Aussie Cruisers

I am in a dilemna on what clothing to take on my upcoming cruise in two weeks - can you help me?

The cruise (from the roll call) seems to be predominately folk from the USA and old England with a few of us colonials to make up the rest of the passenger list.

I have figured out that to mingle and be accepted by our USA friends that I should take T Shirts embossed with the "I LOVE NYC" logo and wear baseball caps (at all times) back to front to really fit in. Both my wife and I have a dozen shirts each, so embossed to take so that should take care of at least half the passenger list.

However, what do we take to fit in with the Poms? - I know they will probably not appreciate the hat with corks on strings so what should I do?

My wife has suggested I take sandals (different colours) and short socks for daytime and long socks for more formal occasions - is this good form and will the Poms accept me in this garb?

My wife has also suggested that we could get gear covered with pearly sequins including caps which she says would give the impression of "Royalty" to our English friends - but that seems a little over the top to me and may confuse our USA guests.

Please help me?

Congratulations on a good post for taking the Mickey and provoking a lot of humorous answers.

OOh, that is a great suggestion - we have ordered some on line, with flags of Uncle Sam and the Union Jack. budgies for me and one piece topless bikini for my wife - as well as matching beach towels for the pool.

We sail from Singapore so will take your advice (which is odd for me as I am usually giving it) and not go across the boarder for a swim. The "Budgie Two"does not have the same ring as the Budgie nine.

I would post a photo of us at the pool but as we are in our late 60's, five foot five tall, and weigh far more than we would like to admit, it may cause offence to some folk on this family orientated forum.

I will go to the pool at 6.00 am and use the towels to reserve the best sun loungers for our 11.30 am swim - surely no one will touch our towels while we sleep in and have a long champagne breakfast on our aft balcony each day.

OOh, that is a great suggestion - we have ordered some on line, with flags of Uncle Sam and the Union Jack. budgies for me and one piece topless bikini for my wife - as well as matching beach towels for the pool.

I will go to the pool at 6.00 am and use the towels to reserve the best sun loungers for our 11.30 am swim - surely no one will touch our towels while we sleep in and have a long champagne breakfast on our aft balcony each day.

Chair Hog !!

http://www.richardaustinimages.com/wp-content/uploads/2015/04/fluffy5X7DeckChair.jpg

Regards

John