Anyone on BA in Winter Storm Grayson off Carolinas?

SailBreakaway

Good question - in the morning, we can all check on the BA's live webcam to see what's happening with their ride.

Oceanweather's charts are showing above average sea conditions - I am sure everyone being secured indoors.

Gem set sailed around 6 PM this evening and hugging very close the Jersey coast, making a run for it ... but, directly toward this bombogenesis - hopefully, the captain is telling the engine room to give everything that they got. Been in similar storm's path - it's usually the gale force cross wind that made matters worst or conspired with the rough sea conditions ...

Our grandniece & grandnephew have been partying all evening as NYC public schools are closed tomorrow ...

Curious if any of our forum members are on board on way back North to NY off Carolinas tonight? Have to think it has to be pretty ‘sporty’ out there tonight.

Might be a little chilly for the ropes??

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

If you see this post, like to hear what’s happening on board! Of course if you see this post after you’re tied up in NY, still like to hear how life was on board on way back.

All the best and safe travels all.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

Currently on BA. Weather on cabin TV says wind speed is 45.2 knots & wave height is 14.8’. Ship is listing a bit but feel safe in captain’s ability to navigate storm. Wave height was 21’ a few hours ago but wind was only around 35 knots at that time so wind speed has picked up. Map shows we are off coast of North Carolina.

Outdoor areas were closed by 8pm & there was a note in cabin telling us to stay off balcony until further notice when DH & I got back from dinner.

We have deck 10 midship balcony cabin and haven’t lost deck furniture yet so that’s good news. Can only see sea spray from balcony window not ocean.

Captain just came on loudspeaker and said (I’m paraphrasing) worst part of storm is behind us. Will give us another update in morning.

Ship is almost leveled out now (only very slight listing). Still windy but not nearly as bad as earlier. I can see ocean out of balcony window again, yay - sea spray has died down.

Gonna try to get some rest, pretty tired. Peace out.

Captain just came on loudspeaker and said (I’m paraphrasing) worst part of storm is behind us ... Gonna try to get some rest, pretty tired. Peace out.

Good morning & thank you very much for that live update at sea via satellite. We see the ship's webcam live now, still looking windy, very choppy sea and stormy, etc. Hold on to those sailings while going around - the bombogensis just starting to hit NYC this morning, windy ... temperature dropping to single digits by evening and real-feel in the negative #'s, a bone-chilling welcome back tomorrow for all.

Gem is heading south and in similar, rough seas & stormy on livecam as well.

LGA airport cancelled 90% of today's flights so anyone flying out tomorrow could face delays. Seastreak ferry services suspended today as well. Highways & roads should be fine by tomorrow ... What an adventurous sea day this will be.

Edited by mking8288

Captain just came on loudspeaker and said (I’m paraphrasing) worst part of storm is behind us. Will give us another update in morning.

Ship is almost leveled out now (only very slight listing). Still windy but not nearly as bad as earlier. I can see ocean out of balcony window again, yay - sea spray has died down.

Gonna try to get some rest, pretty tired. Peace out.

Hope you have a much smoother ride the rest of the way back.

Another thread started on the BA's stormy passage this morning ... yikes.

Ship has been in rough seas, captain must be charting a course to avoid the worst of the fast moving storm, part of the Atlantic with 30 to 40 ft. waves & near hurricane force cross wind, north to south (thus, headwind) ... per oceanweather data charts (screenshot below)

Looks like she's in 20 to 30 ft. waves this morning. That would explain the posted alert about tomorrow's delayed arrival & embarkation turnaround - my guess, she's moving closer to the coast, away from the storm before turning north for a "better" ride.

Just get alerted moments ago that all flights at JFK now temporary suspended due to weather, near zero visibility & blowing snow with deep freeze coming. Ice in the Hudson could be a problem in the morning too. Those flying in a day earlier to sail tomorrow are going to have issues if they aren't here yet ...

But, BA should be fine handling this kind of weather. Those on higher decks, Fwd & Aft (Haven) suites ... lots of rocking & rolling, for sure as seasoned cruisers should come to expect. Satellite internet might be a problem with bad connectivity & latency.

43b3101a9520bedb280b93788cb34f6d.jpg

7041b00dddf841acbab0dddf18f01bda.jpg

via Nexus 5X Oreo 8.0 w Tapatalk, VPN secured.

Edited by mking8288

Thanks Davy Jones - we’re still rock-n-rollin! But I’ll take rock-n-rollin over listing any day! Feel very safe on this ship.

Captain just came on loudspeaker- “We’re north of Cape Hatteras. Measuring high winds and sea levels are rising. Storm is heading north north east and so are we. ETA to New York is unknown as we navigate storm. Speed and course have been adjusted to make best possible travel. Outside decks are still off limits.”

Going to enjoy the day’s activity. I’ll try to post later.

Thanks Davy Jones - we’re still rock-n-rollin! But I’ll take rock-n-rollin over listing any day! Feel very safe on this ship.

Captain just came on loudspeaker- “We’re north of Cape Hatteras. Measuring high winds and sea levels are rising. Storm is heading north north east and so are we. ETA to New York is unknown as we navigate storm. Speed and course have been adjusted to make best possible travel. Outside decks are still off limits.”

Going to enjoy the day’s activity. I’ll try to post later.

Any info on reported damages?

If JFK is close then anyone flying in for Jan 5th cruise is not going to make it unless things open up tonight and or tomorrow morning. I hope they all make it in time.

I would think that the majority of people sailing from New York this time of year are people who live within driving distance. There may be a few flying in to meet up with friends or family, but those who have to get on a plane anyway would rather fly to a southern port where they would enjoy nice weather much earlier in their cruise.

What reported damages?

There was a poster that started another thread trying to use lots of exclamation points and things to make it appear that the ship was damn near sinking. I think that's why some think there has been extensive damage.

If JFK is close then anyone flying in for Jan 5th cruise is not going to make it unless things open up tonight and or tomorrow morning. I hope they all make it in time.

ALL 3 major airports in NY/NJ area are having problems..."More than 90 percent of LGA flights, more than 70 percent of Newark Liberty flights and 20 percent of JFK flights already are cancelled due to snow forecast. " SINCE this was posted on web...JFK has closed!

There was a poster that started another thread trying to use lots of exclamation points and things to make it appear that the ship was damn near sinking. I think that's why some think there has been extensive damage.

I'm sure there were some items that got tossed around, but nothing major. Can't wait to get on her tomorrow!

I walked ship (interior only) and didn’t see any damage. Floors a little wet on deck 6, 7 & 8 where doors open outside to walk around ship but that’s only problem I’ve seen. The usual towels by doors to keep water out (not from flooding but from sea spray). From what I’ve seen last night and today - ship is in great condition for next cruise!

Sitting in breakaway theater now waiting for deal or no deal to start. I’ll try to answer questions as I can.

I’d like to add that because I read cruise critic post when Anthem was in similar ocean conditions, I felt very safe and knew some listing was normal in these conditions. Helped easy my anxiety - Thank you cruise critic! Knowledge is power.

I walked ship (interior only) and didn’t see any damage. Floors a little wet on deck 6, 7 & 8 where doors open outside to walk around ship but that’s only problem I’ve seen. The usual towels by doors to keep water out (not from flooding but from sea spray). From what I’ve seen last night and today - ship is in great condition for next cruise!

Sitting in breakaway theater now waiting for deal or no deal to start. I’ll try to answer questions as I can.

I’d like to add that because I read cruise critic post when Anthem was in similar ocean conditions, I felt very safe and knew some listing was normal in these conditions. Helped easy my anxiety - Thank you cruise critic! Knowledge is power.

THanks MM40, we are on the ship next, please let us know if you get an update on your arrival time to NYC.

THanks MM40, we are on the ship next, please let us know if you get an update on your arrival time to NYC.

And if you read the twitter feeds, they are making it out like it's the end of the world...people in life jackets in the stairways, etc