Have You Sailed on Radiance

We have just found out that ROS is going to be sailing out of Tampa starting in 2010. Just wondering what anyone thought about the ship, good, bad etc. ??? We have never sailed on RCI & thought about this ship for our first cruise with them.

Thanks for any info. :)

I love the Radiance and all of the Radiance class ships. They have enough for everyone to do do on board and are not over large. They are in between the Vision and Voyager Class ships and in my opinion the prettiest ships in the RCCL fleet. The Radiance has miniature golf, a separate kids pool area, Chops and Portafinos. No Johnny Rockets but there is the Seaview Cafe for free instead.

I really wish RCCL would build more Radiance class ships.

Many people like the Radiance class because it is the right size. Not too big and not too small. Also, this class of ship has a lot of glass, so you never forget that you are on the ocean.

That said, I'm not as crazy about the Radiance class. It has only one "family" pool. If it is being used for some sort of activity (belly flop contest for example) then there is no alternative for families. The solarium is for adults and the kids pool is designed for pre-schoolers. As soon as I saw the slide I thought it was not steep enough. Sure enough, when I saw kids on the slide, about half had to use their hands to push themselves down. Either raise the beginning by about five feet or shorten the slide.

In short, the ship is the right size, there is lots of glass, but the design leaves something to be desired - in my opinion. I prefer the Carnival Spirit class (about the same size, but with a better design - in my opinion).

Radiance class ships are my favorite of RCL. We have sailed on the Radiance and really loved it---So much so that we've booked her first sail, a ten nighter, out of Tampa in 2010. And it'll be even better because it is out of Tampa's port which is one of the best. I can hardly wait.:D

We just returned from an Alaska cruise on Radiance.....this is the second time we've sailed on Radiance. We have sailed RCI many times (diamond members) and Radiance is our favorite ship. It is really beautiful and it would be great for your first RCI cruise!

An interesting question…. Our first cruise ever was on the Radiance… we became hooked and loved every minute. This past April/May we did the South America-San Diego repositioning cruise, and again everything about it was wonderful. In August we did an Alaskan cruise on the Serenade, which is a sister ship of the Radiance and walked onto the ship knowing exactly where we were going and what to expect, knowing there would be subtle changes like the ‘large’ pool guy. It took a couple days to figure out why it seemed different. The colors… on the Radiance, there are a lot more Reds in the furnishings, which make the ship appear more opulent. The Serenade has more Blues/Tans. But I must say the crew on the Serenade in August was very, very friendly. This is not to say that the Radiance isn’t friendly, they certainly are, but the Serenade was stellar.

Having said all that, I still have to say the Radiance is our favorite so far. Maybe first love and all??

Another vote for Radiance class ships. We have been on all 4 including back2back 30 days on Brilliance from Istanbul to Barcelona and then transAtlantic to MIA. Did 15day RT Hawaii on Serenade and are going back on Radiance late November RT SanDiego/Acapulco. We love all the glass and the fact that you can seldom lose sight of the ocean - as opposed to those bigger ships with internal promenades which remind me of suburban shopping malls. By all means, take advantage of the fact that Radiance will be based in Tampa for some months.:)

We have just found out that ROS is going to be sailing out of Tampa starting in 2010. Just wondering what anyone thought about the ship, good, bad etc. ??? We have never sailed on RCI & thought about this ship for our first cruise with them.

Thanks for any info. :)

I've been on Radiance twice so far and will be again next month. I was happy it was here in San Diego. Its the perfect size ship - not too small, not too big. Do you have any specific areas that you have questions about?

Radiance class ships are my favorite of RCL. We have sailed on the Radiance and really loved it---So much so that we've booked her first sail, a ten nighter, out of Tampa in 2010. And it'll be even better because it is out of Tampa's port which is one of the best. I can hardly wait.:D

What is the date of the 10 nite cruise? I didn't hear about that one. Also, thanks so much for the info on this ship. I saw in our paper that after the first cruise in Oct. 2010, they are only doing 4 & 5 night cruises. :confused: We would like either 7 or 10 nites at least. We are only about 30 minutes from the port, so we are excited that they are bringing another ship, FINALLY to Tampa.

What area's of the Radiance are adult only? I know the solarium is, but I noticed someone mentioned the "family pool"?

Is half the out door pool for adults and half for family's with children?

I was on the Serenade (a Radiance class sister). Here are the three pools ...

The Solarium (the adult pool) ...

Solarium7.jpg

The kids pool ...

Kidspool.jpg

And this pool is for everyone (the entire family) ...

Pooldeck-6.jpg

Pooldeck-9.jpg

I adore the Radiance class. Jewel is my favorite of the 4 (and yes, we made it a mission to sail on all of them). I wish RCI had exercised their options on the two they originally planned to build. And I wish one would home port year round on the Left Coast! I don't ask for much, do I?

I love all the nooks & crannies that let you read, have a drink or nap without being in the middle of the onboard activities. They have good dancing venues (the Centrum and Colony Club for ballroom; Starquest for disco), great bars (Schooner, Champagne), a jazz venue up in Hollywood Odyssey...

Archived