Sensation Rescue attempt embarrassing

rolloman

Well, really now.

Glad the guy was rescued.

Found the video of that rescue amazing and watched from beginning to end.

Until we read the official report on this, I certainly won't trash anyone involved. A passengers viewpoint, as we all know, doesn't always address the FACTS. We on CC should know that.

IF Carnival was deficient, it will be dealt with - and we'll hear about it officially.

Until then, my mind is open to all possibilities.

Once again we have two extremes on this. We have the Carnival cheer leaders who cant fathom the possibility that their beloved Carnival might make a mistake and insist that carnival didnt do anything wrong. It sounds as if the Carnival Cheerleaders think that he deserved to be left behind because of the inconvenience he caused.

Then we have the carnival haters who will take what is likely an isolated incident of poor emergency operations and apply it to the entire fleet. These folks seem to think that Carnival crew are the keystone cops and couldnt tie their own shoes. And their oinion is based on what one or two passengers reported.

Then there are some of us who are not blinded by the stupidity of the jumper to see that this botched rescue could happen to any of us in any kind of emergency;)

This is not a news article, it is a Disney add.

Dan, I absolutely have no beef with you about this thread, but I did actually have to laugh out loud (not just a text 'LOL') at the thought of The Orlando Sentinel being a fan of The Walt Disney Company. They certainly have a respect for the largest company in the area, but are definitely not 'in bed' with WDW at any time whatsoever.

True enough, every life boat drill, I think of what chaos it might be getting lowered to the water with 150 other scared s....less souls in a life boat. Once that is done (hopefully in a successful fashion) floating and bobbing around for 1/2 a day waiting to be picked up.

Once again we have two extremes on this. We have the Carnival cheer leaders who cant fathom the possibility that their beloved Carnival might make a mistake and insist that carnival didnt do anything wrong. It sounds as if the Carnival Cheerleaders think that he deserved to be left behind because of the inconvenience he caused.

Then we have the carnival haters who will take what is likely an isolated incident of poor emergency operations and apply it to the entire fleet. These folks seem to think that Carnival crew are the keystone cops and couldnt tie their own shoes. And their oinion is based on what one or two passengers reported.

As always the truth of what really happened lies somewhere in the middle. While it appears that Carnival needs to do some additional training with some staff members, to say they just gave up and didnt bother with the jumpers is ridiculous!

And why is the USCG blameless? They had 2 boats and a helicopter there and "RESCUE" is their specialty. They have it written all over their craft, and they accomplished NOTHING too.

It was the luck of the draw that the Dizzy ship found the dolt. I have been on a STOPPED cruise ship with binoculars in hand on a bright sunny, cloudless sky, looking at people [Cubans] in a tiny boat in the water. In approximately 5 minutes time, constantly watching, and KNOWING about where they were, I could NO longer find them in the light chop.

Regardless of WHY the idiot was in the water, Carnival should have been able to put a lifeboat in the water without filling it with water...they DO need to work on their procedures! The idiot is lucky to be alive and should be fined a hefty amount for his stupidity.:eek:

From reading all the articles, including those from Miami, it sounds like Carnival dropped the ball big time.

Yes, the guy was a dork for jumping,

But how he got into the water had no effect on Sensation's apparent inability to get a functional rescue boat into the water.

They tipped the rescue boat over flooding it and losing their gear!:eek:

And then did not launch another rescue boat.:(

It sounds like a dangerous case of dork and super dorks.

From reading all the articles, including those from Miami, it sounds like Carnival dropped the ball big time.

Yes, the guy was a dork for jumping,

But how he got into the water had no effect on Sensation's apparent inability to get a functional rescue boat into the water.

They tipped the rescue boat over flooding it and losing their gear!:eek:

And then did not launch another rescue boat.:(

It sounds like a dangerous case of dork and super dorks.

Dork and super dorks?????

Well' date=' really now.

Glad the guy was rescued.

Found the video of that rescue amazing and watched from beginning to end.

[b']Until we read the official report on this[/b], I certainly won't trash anyone involved. A passengers viewpoint, as we all know, doesn't always address the FACTS. We on CC should know that.

IF Carnival was deficient, it will be dealt with - and we'll hear about it officially.

Until then, my mind is open to all possibilities.

thats my issue with this rush to judgement. No one can accuse me of being a Carnival cheerleader that knows me.... but this is clearly slanted toward the jumper.

Carnnival could still have gotten to him in another 20 minutes, we dont know. We dont have any comments from Carnival on the rescue, just the jumper who we know is stupid (I read he argued with his wife and threatened to jump and she said go ahead ... so he did) ... and some people watching, some of which were upset at how the rescue attempt went, we dont know they were all upset, or the percentage, just that some said they were upset...without being there, Im in the middle on this one. ..both sound at fault.

the article did point very clearly the short coming of CCL s rescue efforts..

and how irate some of the passengers were at CCL for not moving faster..

what about the complaints about the moron who jumped overboard?..the

ignorant passengers seem d more pissed at the CCL crew than the idiot

who started the whole matter..

i did nt call the passenger moron s cuz they probably did nt know the details of the overboard incident..but, where are the editorial calling into

account of passengers action s endangering others at sea?

i just wonder if it was the GF who informed the crew that her ex-BF had jumped overboard:rolleyes:

the article did point very clearly the short coming of CCL s rescue efforts..

and how irate some of the passengers were at CCL for not moving faster..

what about the complaints about the moron who jumped overboard?..the

ignorant passengers seem d more pissed at the CCL crew than the idiot

who started the whole matter..

i did nt call the passenger moron s cuz they probably did nt know the details of the overboard incident..but, where are the editorial calling into

account of passengers action s endangering others at sea?

i just wonder if it was the GF who informed the crew that her ex-BF had jumped overboard:rolleyes:

Maybe I missed the part where the jumper complained:confused: Anyone have linkage of that:confused: From my understanding he was not even identified yet.........

thats my issue with this rush to judgement. No one can accuse me of being a Carnival cheerleader that knows me.... but this is clearly slanted toward the jumper.

Carnnival could still have gotten to him in another 20 minutes, we dont know. We dont have any comments from Carnival on the rescue, just the jumper who we know is stupid (I read he argued with his wife and threatened to jump and she said go ahead ... so he did) ... and some people watching, some of which were upset at how the rescue attempt went, we dont know they were all upset, or the percentage, just that some said they were upset...without being there, Im in the middle on this one. ..both sound at fault.

Lets simplify it. It was witnessed Carnival dumped their rescue boat in the water. If they can not put a boat in the water during a semi stressful situation, how does it give peace of mind this particular Carnival ship would be able to launch all boats in a maximum emergency situation.

With regards to this incident and the previous loss of a crew member, spin it however you want this ship has a bad track record for man overboard retrieval success. Maybe its time for a change of command.

Maybe I missed the part where the jumper complained:confused: Anyone have linkage of that:confused: From my understanding he was not even identified yet.........

The OP's copy and paste of the text seems to now be missing. Not sure we are allowed to post a link and then quote from the source??

Authorities have not released the name of the 34-year-old Philadelphia man who jumped from his sixth-deck suite aboard the Carnival Sensation late Wednesday. The man, who was on the cruise celebrating his wedding anniversary

this is a different account, conflicts with the account posted here which states the wife told him to go ahead and jump... this one says differently. (backing up G'ma who says we dont have the facts yet to rush to judgement).

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090904/NEWS01/909040323/1086/Eyewitnesses+describe+rescue+at+sea++jumper+remains+under+observation

Dork and super dorks?????

Well, yeah!

The passenger chose to jump into the ocean so he immediately qualifies as a dork.

Then the professional seamen cannot get their boat launched without flooding it which definitely qualifies them for super dorkdom, imho anyway.

Aren't they supposed to know which side of the boat is the top?

It almost sounds like an episode of Gilligan's Island.

The idiocy of the jumper in no way lessens the inepititude displayed in the rescue attempt.

Have you ever been stupid enough to JUMP off a moving ship in the middle of an ocean? :confused:

How Far does the Cruise Lines industry need to go to take care of an adult ???

If the adult felt like JUMPING over (Not Falling over), he knew what he was doing. If i was onboard and i knew we had to stop the ship from going to an island, all because 1 idoit from the 3,500 pax on board decided to jump over i would be mad.

"If your friend would jump from a bridge , would you do it ? "

Now ... " If a bunch of idiots jumped from a moving cruise ship in the middle of the night, would you do it?"

The OP's copy and paste of the text seems to now be missing. Not sure we are allowed to post a link and then quote from the source??

Authorities have not released the name of the 34-year-old Philadelphia man who jumped from his sixth-deck suite aboard the Carnival Sensation late Wednesday. The man, who was on the cruise celebrating his wedding anniversary

this is a different account, conflicts with the account posted here which states the wife told him to go ahead and jump... this one says differently. (backing up G'ma who says we dont have the facts yet to rush to judgement).

http://www.floridatoday.com/article/20090904/NEWS01/909040323/1086/Eyewitnesses+describe+rescue+at+sea++jumper+remains+under+observation

I guess my question was.......people are posting that the jumper was complaining of the time it took for the rescue? I believe it was the passengers on the ship that were watching the rescue.....unless someone else can post the linkage where the jumper complained? I believe I read he was just grateful to be alive........

Have you ever been stupid enough to JUMP off a moving ship in the middle of an ocean? :confused:

So far I have kept all my marbles.......you:confused:

I do know that there was a malfunction, not a mistake that caused the boat to flip. I would imagine that they were then more concerned with the safety of the crew attepting the rescue than the idiot who chose to jump in the water. I believe the name calling of the crew is uncalled for here when you don't have all the facts, they were taking a risk to save the jerk.

Time for people and corporations to take responsibility for their actions or lack of! As I understand it, the man that jumped can be charged for the rescue efforts. Carnival needs to address their lack of professionalism in this matter!

They really should apologize and give this idiot (the Jumper) a free cruise and a higher balcony. He deserves it. :cool:

Archived