Sensation Rescue attempt embarrassing

rolloman

Maybe I missed the part where the jumper complained:confused: Anyone have linkage of that:confused: From my understanding he was not even identified yet.........

"...what about the complaints about the moron who jumped overboard?..the

ignorant passengers seem d more pissed at the CCL crew than the idiot

who started the whole matter.."

Kurbanfan, I interpreted the post to say complaints ABOUT the moron, not complaints FROM the moron. I haven't seen anything indicating the guy had complained.

The complaints about Carnival's rescue attempts and the kudos for Disney's rescue are published in an ORLANDO paper. Disney IS the major employer in the Orlando area. Carnival has almost no presence in Orlando.

And why is the USCG not also singled out for incompetence? They did not rescue the idiot and that is one of their major functions.

This is not a news article, it is a Disney add.

Again, you've hit the nail on the head, Sir Dan.....

There is an old adage that always applies:

Don't believe anything you hear or read and only half of what you see.....

As usual, I prefer to wait for the FACTS before making any judgment of this or any other occurance.

But, that's just me. I've never been subject to nor have I practiced wild speculation.... :cool:

I think we can all agree that the jumper is a Fidiot... but one would think that Carnival crews would have appropriate training being that it IS the largest cruise vacation company, and it's not like people falling off of Carnival ships is a rare thing... Uncommon, but not rare.

Once again we have two extremes on this. We have the Carnival cheer leaders who cant fathom the possibility that their beloved Carnival might make a mistake and insist that carnival didnt do anything wrong. It sounds as if the Carnival Cheerleaders think that he deserved to be left behind because of the inconvenience he caused.

Then we have the carnival haters who will take what is likely an isolated incident of poor emergency operations and apply it to the entire fleet. These folks seem to think that Carnival crew are the keystone cops and couldnt tie their own shoes. And their oinion is based on what one or two passengers reported.

As always the truth of what really happened lies somewhere in the middle. While it appears that Carnival needs to do some additional training with some staff members, to say they just gave up and didnt bother with the jumpers is ridiculous!

Well, in any case, NOBODY here or on either ship knows the complete story of this incident. The only thing for sure on this forum is that each will present his/her own opinions. Some will believe anything that is said, others will believe nothing that is said....hence, the debate.

As for the incident itself, no one knows why the guy jumped, no one knows what did or didn't happen on the Carnival ship, no one knows how or why Disney found the passenger first and completed the rescue, no one knows why the Coast Guard didn't spot him.

What we KNOW is a man went overboard, a search and rescue effort was begun, 2 cruise ships and the Coast Guard were involved and the man was rescued.

Beyond that, we know nothing.......

Kurbanfan, I interpreted the post to say complaints ABOUT the moron, not complaints FROM the moron. I haven't seen anything indicating the guy had complained.

I guess I quoted the wrong post.......I should have quoted the post below........

I also wish people would stop jumping.... I said I assume Carnival is working to get better, but I think the pax who jumped and then was irate over how long it took to rescue him is also in the wrong.

Well' date=' in any case, NOBODY here or on either ship knows the complete story of this incident. The only thing for sure on this forum is that each will present his/her own opinions. Some will believe anything that is said, others will believe nothing that is said....hence, the debate.

As for the incident itself, no one knows why the guy jumped, no one knows what did or didn't happen on the Carnival ship, no one knows how or why Disney found the passenger first and completed the rescue, no one knows why the Coast Guard didn't spot him.

What we KNOW is a man went overboard, a search and rescue effort was begun, 2 cruise ships and the Coast Guard were involved and the man was rescued.

Beyond that, we know nothing.......[/quote']

So you are doubting multiple eye witness accounts the Carnival rescue attempt failed by capsizing their boat? You are doubting the video footage that Disney came from several miles away and pulled within feet of the Sensation and completed the rescue? You really need to take off those Carnival colored glasses and snap into reality. Your cruise line of choice screwed up whether you want to admit it or not.

So you are doubting multiple eye witness accounts the Carnival rescue attempt failed by capsizing their boat? You are doubting the video footage that Disney came from several miles away and pulled within feet of the Sensation and completed the rescue? You really need to take off those Carnival colored glasses and snap into reality. Your cruise line of choice screwed up whether you want to admit it or not.

Ok, although yes the Sensation is a Carnival ship.......let's not get carried away........One bad apple does not spoil the whole bunch........

Well' date=' really now.

Glad the guy was rescued.

Found the video of that rescue amazing and watched from beginning to end.

Until we read the official report on this, I certainly won't trash anyone involved. A passengers viewpoint, as we all know, doesn't always address the FACTS. We on CC should know that.

IF Carnival was deficient, it will be dealt with - and we'll hear about it officially.

Until then, my mind is open to all possibilities.[/quote']

Where is the video that people are talking about? I've looked but haven't found one yet?

I guess I quoted the wrong post.......I should have quoted the post below........

Well, I could argue the point where you said the guy was just happy to be rescued... we dont know that either.

Im just saying no matter what the situation, food on Carnival .... there are going to be people who say its terrible, so finding a few folks saying that Carnival didnt do very well, is going to be easy. Nay sayers abound in any situation.

No one is saying Carnival did a bang up job, but in the dark, 28 miles from shore (so Sensation was still moving), getting the guy out of the water in 90 minutes is still pretty lucky for him.

Im not ready to comdemn Carnival over this.

I certainly am. And I would condemn Celebrity, Princess, HAL or any other line the reportedly abysmal rescue attempt.

The crew launched a rescue boat, but its sailors forgot to untie it from the cruise ship, Huggins said. The rescue boat tipped, filled with water, and never joined the search, passengers said.

A second rescue boat never launched, despite complaints of passengers, said Huggins. The Sensation's search lights were weak and crew members aimed flashlights at the water.

What if this were some sailor off a merchant ship who had fallen overboard and this Carnival ship was the closest on scene. Would your feeling be the same? The rule of the sea is your rescue those in peril, no matter the cause.

During my Navy career we had more than a handful a "real" man overboards. One was the night rescue of a sailor over the side from the flight deck. The super carrier came about on itself (360 degrees), launched the rescue boat and plucked this luck guy from the sea. Granted not all were rescued, but those that were, were the result of many hours of "practice" man overboard drills.

I certainly am. And I would condemn Celebrity, Princess, HAL or any other line the reportedly abysmal rescue attempt. .

Well, just how long should it take from a moving Carnival ship to rescue someone?? Is there a set time that these things should be measured against?? How fast are they expected to do it in practice?? I dont know, so how can I say they didnt rescue him fast enough. What is the time btw?

If Wonder hadnt done it and it took Carnival 2 hours, is this too long?? I really dont know the guidelines. Do any of you?

So you jump off a ship on purpose, then change your mind after hitting the water. This is in the dark on a moving ship. Lucky he was found at all. And these vacationers are upset with CCL? True, CCL should be better prepared for an emergency situation, but I'd be more upset with the idiot who apparently wasn't really suicidal, just trying to get back at his woman. What a moron.

LOL...that was a riot!!

Well, just how long should it take from a moving Carnival ship to rescue someone?? Is there a set time that these things should be measured against?? How fast are they expected to do it in practice?? I dont know, so how can I say they didnt rescue him fast enough. What is the time btw?

If Wonder hadnt done it and it took Carnival 2 hours, is this too long?? I really dont know the guidelines. Do any of you?

You are missing the point completely firefly333. They reportedly couldn't even properly launch the first life boat and never attempted to launch the second. In this case how much time it would or should take becomes meaningless. Had the Disney ship not been (relatively) close behind, this probably would have ended up with the guy dead.

It was calm seas, flat water, the guy was screaming the whole time, yeah a HOUR AND A HALF is a long time. An hour and a half for the Disney ship who came from a few miles away was outstanding. In my Navy career I have seen a 30 minute rescue on a Super Carrier in same situations. The issue here is not the timing, not sure why you keep focusing on that. The real issue is the errors the crew made trying to drop a boat in the flat water unsuccessfully. The fact another ship pulled right up next to the Carnival ship and performed the rescue is unacceptable. The fact Carnival decided not to launch another boat and join the rescue was unacceptable. The eyewitness reports Carnival did not have adaquate lighting and resorted to hand held flashlights is unacceptable. The fact this exact ship lost one of its own by falling overboard with an unsuccessful recoverly attempt would lead one to believe this crew would be more than ready for the next event. It came, they failed...its time for a change of command with that vessel.

You could say they got tied up in the rescue boat:D That could have might have slowed things up:cool:

lol and no doubt the guy and his wife are taking notes so they can sue Carnival for taking too long to pull his arse out of the water. lol. ...

sad but true

CCL took to long to rescue me = $2mil

CCL gave me way to many drinks = $2mil

CCL allowed unstable man balcony cabin= $2mil

Ambulance chasers are lining up.......

I don't care if someone jumped or fell (accidently:rolleyes:) if I saw a piss poor attempt of a rescue as that one........I would hope every passenger would be furious and rightfully so.........good grief Carnival:rolleyes:

I have to agree with you. I don't think anyone would find the jumper to be anything short of guilty of being down right stupid! But . . . as you say . . . it could have been an accident that happened (not this one where he was probably drunk and mad at his girlfriend). Had it been an accident . . . as much as I love Carnival (leaving tomorrow on the Freedom and in January on the Dream) . . . I can't believe how inept they sound. Disney definately was the hero of the day (and the Coast Guard as well . . . my son flies helicopters for the USCG and was stationed in Miami for four years and led a lot of SARs[search and rescues] as well as emergency air lifts from cruise ships).

I just hope the powers that be question the crew about the lifeboards, lack of sufficient lighting to search and all the other comedy of errors that sound like occurred on this particular ship.

Archived