Sensation Rescue attempt embarrassing

rolloman

Although Carnival definitly fumbled the rescue. I have no mercy at all for the ***** in the water. He could stay in the water 4-5 hours for all I care. You dont make the jump then change your mind about dieing. To bad, suffer. Disrupting the trip with this nonsence is pathetic already and unacceptable.

I rarely post, but felt the need on this one. This point of this thread is not about the stupidity of the jumper which is evident (assuming it comes out he did it on purpose to make a point to the wife).

The point of the thread is the ineptness of Carnival to make the rescue. For 90 minutes, the passengers and jumper were yelling to each other, so the ship couldn't have been very far from him. No big deal that they can't deploy a lifeboat??? Then, in addition, the Disney ship has time to come to the same area and make the rescue. Carnival messed up. People talking about stopping speed, etc as excuses for Carnival's delays. Doesn't matter, the Disney ship had no problems with the same issues and they were coming from a distance.

If this was a child that happened to fall over or let's say a crazy person throwing a child overboard, would people think it is okay for the Sensation to take so long for the rescue? That is the issue here, plain and simple. Some intensive re-training on search and rescue seems to be needed for all Carnival ships. Hopefully this is just a few inept crew members but I believe Carnival needs to seriously look at their rescue procedures.

Whew-just had to vent! :)

I rarely post, but felt the need on this one. This point of this thread is not about the stupidity of the jumper which is evident (assuming it comes out he did it on purpose to make a point to the wife).

The point of the thread is the ineptness of Carnival to make the rescue. For 90 minutes, the passengers and jumper were yelling to each other, so the ship couldn't have been very far from him. No big deal that they can't deploy a lifeboat??? Then, in addition, the Disney ship has time to come to the same area and make the rescue. Carnival messed up. People talking about stopping speed, etc as excuses for Carnival's delays. Doesn't matter, the Disney ship had no problems with the same issues and they were coming from a distance.

If this was a child that happened to fall over or let's say a crazy person throwing a child overboard, would people think it is okay for the Sensation to take so long for the rescue? That is the issue here, plain and simple. Some intensive re-training on search and rescue seems to be needed for all Carnival ships. Hopefully this is just a few inept crew members but I believe Carnival needs to seriously look at their rescue procedures.

Whew-just had to vent! :)

The Disney ship was already heading in that direction as they are from the same home port. Just the luck of being in the right place at the right time. No excuse for this one Carnival ship. But don't condem an entire fleet for a mistake made by one crew.

I've noticed that on other cruise lines, there are frequent drills where the crew lowers the lifeboats and practices maneuvers. This happens on port days, and often there are several ships at the same dock with their crews doing lifeboat drills. So far, I haven't seen this done on a Carnival cruise, but I assume they are supposed to be doing some kind of periodic drills.

Where is the video that people are talking about? I've looked but haven't found one yet?

Can't find it anymore on CC but here is a link to the YouTube presentation....it's the same one:

http://news.google.com/news?sourceid=navclient&rlz=1T5GGLL_en___US269&q=disney+rescues+man+overboard&um=1&ie=UTF-8&hl=en&ei=iXChSuXlNZOHmQed16j5DQ&sa=X&oi=news_group&ct=title&resnum=1

So you are doubting multiple eye witness accounts the Carnival rescue attempt failed by capsizing their boat? You are doubting the video footage that Disney came from several miles away and pulled within feet of the Sensation and completed the rescue? You really need to take off those Carnival colored glasses and snap into reality. Your cruise line of choice screwed up whether you want to admit it or not.

What I am doubting is:

1. The Carnival rescue boat was "capsized" by an inept crew

2. The veracity of any eyewitness to any event when they are not personally involved in the mechanics of that event

3. The fact that one ship is superior to the other when it comes to rescue.

4. That the Coast Guard was inept in their efforts because they didn't see/couldn't find the man.

What I am NOT doubting is:

1. The man was rescued by Disney (the lengthly and very good video attests to that fact).

2. The man was alive when rescued.

3. 2 ships and the Coast Guard were involved in the search and rescue efforts.

4. The man didn't "fall" of the ship.

Folks who believe everything they hear and see is what gets our country into lots of trouble on a regular basis......to say nothing about cruises gone awry.

Eyewitness observation and testimony is notoriously unreliable.

I am amazed that this person jumped overboard because his wife said do it when they were fighting, and somehow, magically, on the way down he decided he really didn't want to die and the wife became hysterical. Both of them are idiots!!!!

If it is true that Carnival crew did screw up the rescue, then I believe some punitive action should be taken by the beards in Miami to be certain that something like this can't happen again. I don't care if it means firing the employees on the lifeboat, replacing the Captain or whatever.

I also believe, thought it won't ever happen, that this man overboard should have to pay some huge fine. It's not even a crime to jump overboard according to the sheriff. It just doesn't seem right that the taxpayer has to pay for the coast guard to go looking for someone when it is all based on his and his wife's stupidity and their lack of common sense when drinking. JMO.

What I am doubting is:

2. The veracity of any eyewitness to any event when they are not personally involved in the mechanics of that event

4. That the Coast Guard was inept in their efforts because they didn't see/couldn't find the man.

1. Inept? Maybe not, maybe they just choked when it counted.

2. Eyewitness standing a few feet from the launch. High percentage what was stated was indeed fact. Rescue boat dropped upside down, man screaming in the water, lighting not able to illuminate man in the water. Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

3. LOL next time you are in port look at the Wonder (Mercedes) and then glance over at the Sensation (Hyundai). Disney crew completely professional tending to thousands of childeren . Sensation crew tending to thousands of drunks each cruise and even has a history of crew joining in the fun leaping off the ship.

4. Coast Guard was't even utiilized. Yes they were called but were not used as the man overboard was pinpointed from the start.

I've noticed that on other cruise lines, there are frequent drills where the crew lowers the lifeboats and practices maneuvers. This happens on port days, and often there are several ships at the same dock with their crews doing lifeboat drills. So far, I haven't seen this done on a Carnival cruise, but I assume they are supposed to be doing some kind of periodic drills.

I've seen these same maneuvers performed on Carnival cruises...drills don't necessarily prepare you for the stress involved with an actual rescue. Evidently the crew, while trained in the process, failed to execute the process correctly. Therein lies the rub.

I've seen these same maneuvers performed on Carnival cruises...drills don't necessarily prepare you for the stress involved with an actual rescue. Evidently the crew, while trained in the process, failed to execute the process correctly. Therein lies the rub.

If they choked & failed at rescuing one passenger, I hate to think of the outcome if a major evacuation at sea were required.

Carnival does MOB drills and fire fighting drills same as any other cruiseline. Some under the watchful eye of the Coast Guard [who ALSO failed to effect a rescue in this case]. I have been on a Carnival ship when they practiced a "Miller Turn" during dinner time. A Miller turn is a violent 'S' kind of turn designed to bring the ship back to a certain point in the ocean as fast as possible. The ship heels over steeply in one direction and then the other. But if they know exactly where a person went over, this turn will bring them back to that exact spot. Pax were warned that this practice run would happen at some point and what to expect. Still much screaming!

While Carnival's rescue attempt was not what it should have been. Let's not forget the man jumped, putting the crews from BOTH ships in danger. Rescues are not simple operations, and he should be held accountable for his actions as well. Just my opinion ;)

Carnival's getting a poor reputation. There sure do seem to be too many people going overboard on their ships.

I'll be going on a different ship since this one obviously can't perform a rescue. I also question why they didn't send another boat out.

What would happen if the whole ship needed to be evacuated? Could they do it??

I hope they do some major training soon.

GMA had a report on this today...man in next balcony cabin heard the couple arguing, heard him say 'I'm going to jump overboard' and then her reply of 'go ahead'. (Lovely!) I bet he sobered up fast either on the way down or when he hit the water. And aren't the Sensation balcony cabins kind of high up?...it's a wonder he was in condition to scream for the hour+ that he was in the water!

I'm sure it took a while to stop the ship and turn around and if the Disney ship was bringing up the rear they probably were in the best position to find him and get him out. Not that that is any excuse for Carnival to completely flub their effort.

If they choked & failed at rescuing one passenger, I hate to think of the outcome if a major evacuation at sea were required.

This is what I have been thinking.

Envision your family lined up to evacuate a sinking or burning ship and the professional seamen can't get the lifeboats into the water in a usable condition.

And if eyewitness reports are to be believed it might be a good idea to bring your own flashlight in case of emergency as the lighting may be insufficient.

GMA had a report on this today...man in next balcony cabin heard the couple arguing, heard him say 'I'm going to jump overboard' and then her reply of 'go ahead'. (Lovely!) I bet he sobered up fast either on the way down or when he hit the water. And aren't the Sensation balcony cabins kind of high up?...it's a wonder he was in condition to scream for the hour+ that he was in the water!

'I'm going to jump overboard' and then her reply of 'go ahead'. (Lovely!) so, didn't the wife notify anyone??????????:confused:

1. Inept? Maybe not, maybe they just choked when it counted.

2. Eyewitness standing a few feet from the launch. High percentage what was stated was indeed fact. Rescue boat dropped upside down, man screaming in the water, lighting not able to illuminate man in the water. Sounds pretty cut and dried to me.

3. LOL next time you are in port look at the Wonder (Mercedes) and then glance over at the Sensation (Hyundai). Disney crew completely professional tending to thousands of childeren . Sensation crew tending to thousands of drunks each cruise and even has a history of crew joining in the fun leaping off the ship.

4. Coast Guard was't even utiilized. Yes they were called but were not used as the man overboard was pinpointed from the start.

Rolloman, in an earlier post (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=21103799&postcount=10), you stated that the Carnival ship "gave up" on the search. But you never provided a reference for that statement. Can you back that up with anything?

'I'm going to jump overboard' and then her reply of 'go ahead'. (Lovely!) so, didn't the wife notify anyone??????????:confused:

She was too busy contacting her insurance company about death benifits :rolleyes:

Rolloman, in an earlier post (http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showpost.php?p=21103799&postcount=10), you stated that the Carnival ship "gave up" on the search. But you never provided a reference for that statement. Can you back that up with anything?

Concerning this.

I thought I remembered reading, in the original post, that Carnival did not continue the search after the unsuccessful attempt to get a rescue boat into the water.

When I went back to reread the initial post I found that it has been changed.

The article linked to now is not the same article that I read earlier.

What I am doubting is:

G'ma' date=' you need to get back to the real world and perhaps remove the rose colored glasses.

1. They didn't capsize the boat, they failed to untie it and caused it to be swamped (and unable to function in the rescue).

2. Maybe. You can doubt all you want, but it is not always the case. The supposed fact that the ship came back unto the original spot and was unable to participate in the rescue speaks loudly.

3. Believe me, all ships and their crews, like all men, are not created equal.

4. This one steams a lot. Get your facts straight before spouting drivel and denigrating this fine group of men and women.

The Coast Guard deployed two rescue boats from its Fort Pierce station to aid in the search, but by that time the man had already been found.
(http://www.wpbf.com/news/20702132/detail.html)

Doesn't sound inept to me. The ship was about 30 miles off the coast. These CG boats do NOT travel at 60 mph.

Archived