Fall Leaves in NE

gigguy

No, we had heavy storms in Maine, NH and VT. Remnants of 2 of the hurricaines that were making a run up the east coast. The trees are fine. When they're still green, the leaves don't get blown off.. they are hearty maple and oak trees that are used to nasty weather... Usually the peak season in the 3 northern NE states is Columbus Day weekend. As someone that has lived here forever... the leaves aren't all that pretty when you have to rake all that foliage! :eek:

I live way up in nothern Maine and saw several clumps of orange on the Maple trees on my way to work this morning. I have a huge clump of gold on one of the Birch treess in my yard. Two weeks ago when I climbed a local mountain there was gold on a few trees up there as well as bright red Maple leaves on the trail. Can't wait for all the glorious color. We have tons of trees surrounding our yard (out in the country) and we don't even bother to rake the leaves. What harm can they do? We let them sit over the winter and they get mulched up good with the first couple of lawnmowings in the spring. Great fertilizer for the lawn. --No extra work for me. Never could understand why folks feel the need to rake up all the leave and haul off to dump.

Kathy in northern Maine

The leaves are intact and you can see the odd clumps of golden or orange or red leaves. We are primed for a great foliage season.

We unfortunately are having a problem with a fungus hitting most of the maple trees in town ... they have all turned brown (with black spots) and have fallen ... other than that, the air and the slightly different green of the leaves is the only sign that fall is getting close. Hate the thought of another winter!!!

PS We were in the warm Southern Caribbean when the storm hit. Jan

Thanks for the replies. We are looking forward to our 10/15 departure.:)

You are going to be too late for the northern leaves, and not in "leaf" area most ports. If a priority to see some, you are best with a rental car, as the best views are not "coastal". There are web sites updated daily on fall foliage. You may want to keep track of the areas you will be in.

We're starting to see hints of color here in Southern Mass. Drove to Wrentham last weekend and you could see the leaves starting to turn a lighter green with an occasional shade of red and orange, but not much. Hope it's better than last year.

Archived