Photos of HAL Staterooms/Cabins

IRL_Joanie

We have no idea how Joanie is going to set up her proposed photo site, so not sure how it could be assumed thatthere would be "weeding through", at this stage. I like the table plans that WA70 has set up and am happy to look through those when need be. I often look for specific cabin pics and find it difficult, so if someone is volunteering to start something up, good for them.

Personally, I admire anyone who wants to go to any effort to help other cruisers get information. Joanie, I have sent you some pics, so good luck with the task you have set for yourself.

Bruce (brucory)

:D:D:D

Where exactly are the table plans you mentioned by WA70 please? We are looking at either the Rynedam or the Statendam. And does anyone have preference to Open Seating vs booked seating??? First time HAL'ers here....

Thx a bunch!

From what I was told, yes. I think it is included in the price of the cruise. I know that we have only had to pay for pre cruise hotels when we booked V category staterooms and full hotel cost for post cruise stays.

I specifically asked her about the cost of hotels since this is the first time that we have booked a specific stateroom in SC and SB categories. That is when she told me the SC gets a discounted pre cruise hotel and the SB gets the pre cruise free. I asked her why SC is not included in the free pre hotel since according to HAL, SA, SB and SC are all Deluxe Verandah Suite Staterooms and she said the SC's while considered the same category are not for hotels.

Hope this makes sense to you... It did to me when she explained it, and now knowing that I only have to pay for my post cruise hotels makes it a lot easier, and cheaper for us:)

FYI though ---- IF you are cruising out of Vancouver, but flying into Seattle, the hotels ARE NOT paid for!!! The discount/Free hootels only apply to the Port city you are departing from. We are flying into Seattle for one of the cruises (SC stateroom category May 2011) and will be taking the HAL bus from Sea/Tac airport to the Vancouver port, so we will be flying in the day before and paying our own hotel. The bus is only available the day of your cruise. They no longer do a hotel and bus transfer package. Cost of the Bus transfer from Sea/Tac Airport to Ship is $130.00 per person R/T.

Joanie

Hi Joanie...

I have been reading through this thread and you seem to be the resident expert so thank you for all your tips. My girlfriend and I are new HAL'ers and are trying to decide between the Ryndam and the Statendam for an Alaskan Sept 2010 repositioning cruise out of Vancouver, ending in San Diego. We are booking a Deluxe Verandah Suite (DVS?) - on the Ryndam it is S016 on the Statendam it is S024. This thread talks about the SB yet sounds like a DVS so I am confused. Can you please advise? And do you have any preferences or recommendations between the two of them? The main reason we are looking at the Statendam is that it included the Glacier Bay, whereas the Ryndam doesn't. Also do you think it matters that these are both Port side cabins? Would the Alaska views be as good? And do you have a preference as to Open Seating vs a booked seating? And is their smoking on the Port side? I had heard that Port side had smoking on the verandahs and as we plan to spend a lot of time on ours, we don't want to have to smell it. Lastly, no where do I see mention of VIP BOARDING for suites... just preferred disembarkation. Do you know?

Thanks so much Joanie... I really look forward to your reply!

PS Long, long ago, when I was in the rock n roll concert promotion business we did Joan Jet & her Blackhearts.... What a great lady!

Are there any pictures or information out there of cabin D3391. It is a handicap cabin on the lower promanade deck.

Thanks.

I do not have any on Deck 3 at all. I am so sorry that I cannot help. I did not answer this question when you posed it, as I was hoping that one of the more experienced HAL CC members would come forth with answers.......................

Joanie

Where exactly are the table plans you mentioned by WA70 please? We are looking at either the Rynedam or the Statendam. And does anyone have preference to Open Seating vs booked seating??? First time HAL'ers here....

Thx a bunch!

Here is the direct link to Richwmn's web site for the dining room layouts for both Ryndam and Statendam: http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/

STATENDAM - MAASDAM - RYNDAM - VEENDAM

S Class Lower Level http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/lowerlevelSclass.jpg

S Class Upper Level http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/upperlevelSClass.jpg

Hope these help. You are quite welcome!

Joanie

Here is the direct link to Richwmn's web site for the dining room layouts for both Ryndam and Statendam: http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/

STATENDAM - MAASDAM - RYNDAM - VEENDAM

S Class Lower Level http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/lowerlevelSclass.jpg

S Class Upper Level http://www.wa70.com/hal/dining/upperlevelSClass.jpg

Hope these help. You are quite welcome!

Joanie

Thanks so much Joanie... Did you see my other post about the which is better the Statendam vs. the Ryndam? Is the Statendam too old? I am leaning toward the Statendam as it includes Glacier Bay in it's itinerary whereas the Ryndam doesn't. Also, does it matter if I am on Port side (for scenery)? Somebody just told me the food wasn't that great, which surprised me looking at the pictures of the food. That was one of the reasons I chose NOT to go on the Celebrity Mercury for this journey as I saw YouTube pics of their food and it looked very, very ordinary.

Hi Joanie...

I have been reading through this thread and you seem to be the resident expert so thank you for all your tips. My girlfriend and I are new HAL'ers and are trying to decide between the Ryndam and the Statendam for an Alaskan Sept 2010 repositioning cruise out of Vancouver, ending in San Diego. We are booking a Deluxe Verandah Suite (DVS?) - on the Ryndam it is S016 on the Statendam it is S024. This thread talks about the SB yet sounds like a DVS so I am confused. Can you please advise? And do you have any preferences or recommendations between the two of them? The main reason we are looking at the Statendam is that it included the Glacier Bay, whereas the Ryndam doesn't. Also do you think it matters that these are both Port side cabins? Would the Alaska views be as good? And do you have a preference as to Open Seating vs a booked seating? And is their smoking on the Port side? I had heard that Port side had smoking on the verandahs and as we plan to spend a lot of time on ours, we don't want to have to smell it. Lastly, no where do I see mention of VIP BOARDING for suites... just preferred disembarkation. Do you know?

Thanks so much Joanie... I really look forward to your reply!

PS Long, long ago, when I was in the rock n roll concert promotion business we did Joan Jet & her Blackhearts.... What a great lady!

She, hubby's niece is the real deal. She is a Rich B... and I am just a real B... LOL

OK, let me try to answer some of your questions to the best of my limited ability. I am not an expert, by any means at all. I just have people, like yourself, send me their stateroom photos and comments, and I post them on my site and keep it maintained and as up to date as possible.

What you are refering to as DVS is called a Category S on both Ryndam and Statendam. They are huge (In My Opinion.)

Ryndam S 011 and S 016 (Deluxe Verandah Suite) are the same as S 018 which I have photos of from both NancyQuilts and Trophy_23 http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Ryndam/index.html as you can see they are so spacious!

Statendam should look extremely similar and is the same size as on the Ryndam. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of that categotory on the Statendam.

The SA, SB and SC's discussed in the various HAL boards are on other Class Ships in the HAL fleet, such as the Vista Class: Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam. They are the same category of the S, but on the Vista Class you would have a chance (NOTE that I say CHANCE of having either a smaller 510 square foot stateroom (including the verandah/balcony) or a larger stateroom 700 square foot stateroom (including the verandah/balcony, or even one in between.)

Oh Lordy, the choice between Port or Starboard side... I have only had Port side so far, 2 to Alaska and 1 to the Caribbean. On both Alaska cruises we did round trip out of Seattle. Going North the only views were of the ocean, going south was land, BUT the land was at least 10 miles away so I think I'd have been happier with the ocean instead, but that is my preference as I can stand at the railing all day long and look out to sea and be completely happy.

For Glacier viewing the ship does a complete circuit of the bay. It enters the Glacier Bay and you have land fairly near off the Port side. Near the Glacier itself, the ship does a VERY VERY slow turn and proceeds up the opposite side of the bay with land again nearby. I LOVED THIS!!!!! Also, depending on the Harbor Master for each city you dock in will depend on which side, port or starboard that will be facing the city(s). I do believe, mind you this is my own belief though, that most often it is Port that faces the city(s). NOW, you have to understand that a ship might enter on the opposite side of the bay than it did for our cruises, so it might be the starboard side that gets more of the land views than the port side. I think it depends on what the Captain and the Pilot decide.....

That said, we have 2 cruises booked round trip out of Vancouver in 2011 for Alaska, one we have an Aft Wraparound on the Port side the other Aft Wraparound on the Starboard side.

I have not done Open Seating, so cannot give you anything o that one. We normally eat in the Main Dining Room Late Seating for diner.

Smoking is allowed in all staterooms and verandahs, so you will have the chance of someone's smoke wafting in your direction, though I must say that most of us are considerate and if you have a problem, ask us and we will be considerate and not smoke out there when we know you are also out enjoying the views. I always ask my next door neighbors if my smoke bothers them, if so I do not smoke on my verandah!! Generally though, the smoke is not very noticable except if the ship is at a dead stop, i.e., in a Port. The reason is that when the ship is moving, so is the smoke.

Penthouse and Deluxe Verandah Suite Guests, PS and S category staterooms on the Ryndam and Statendam both have a seperate check in line for embarking. If you do not see the line, ask for assistance from one of the Porters or a HAL representative, they will point you in the right direction.

Hopefully, I've been able to answer your questions.

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

Thanks so much Joanie... Did you see my other post about the which is better the Statendam vs. the Ryndam? Is the Statendam too old? I am leaning toward the Statendam as it includes Glacier Bay in it's itinerary whereas the Ryndam doesn't. Also, does it matter if I am on Port side (for scenery)? Somebody just told me the food wasn't that great, which surprised me looking at the pictures of the food. That was one of the reasons I chose NOT to go on the Celebrity Mercury for this journey as I saw YouTube pics of their food and it looked very, very ordinary.

LOL, Yep, Saw it and was writing my answers as you were reading the last one:D

Joanie

She, hubby's niece is the real deal. She is a Rich B... and I am just a real B... LOL

OK, let me try to answer some of your questions to the best of my limited ability. I am not an expert, by any means at all. I just have people, like yourself, send me their stateroom photos and comments, and I post them on my site and keep it maintained and as up to date as possible.

What you are refering to as DVS is called a Category S on both Ryndam and Statendam. They are huge (In My Opinion.)

Ryndam S 011 and S 016 (Deluxe Verandah Suite) are the same as S 018 which I have photos of from both NancyQuilts and Trophy_23 http://joanjett2000.topcities.com/HAL/Ryndam/index.html as you can see they are so spacious!

Statendam should look extremely similar and is the same size as on the Ryndam. Unfortunately, I do not have any photos of that categotory on the Statendam.

The SA, SB and SC's discussed in the various HAL boards are on other Class Ships in the HAL fleet, such as the Vista Class: Noordam, Oosterdam, Westerdam and Zuiderdam. They are the same category of the S, but on the Vista Class you would have a chance (NOTE that I say CHANCE of having either a smaller 510 square foot stateroom (including the verandah/balcony) or a larger stateroom 700 square foot stateroom (including the verandah/balcony, or even one in between.)

Oh Lordy, the choice between Port or Starboard side... I have only had Port side so far, 2 to Alaska and 1 to the Caribbean. On both Alaska cruises we did round trip out of Seattle. Going North the only views were of the ocean, going south was land, BUT the land was at least 10 miles away so I think I'd have been happier with the ocean instead, but that is my preference as I can stand at the railing all day long and look out to sea and be completely happy.

For Glacier viewing the ship does a complete circuit of the bay. It enters the Glacier Bay and you have land fairly near off the Port side. Near the Glacier itself, the ship does a VERY VERY slow turn and proceeds up the opposite side of the bay with land again nearby. I LOVED THIS!!!!! Also, depending on the Harbor Master for each city you dock in will depend on which side, port or starboard that will be facing the city(s). I do believe, mind you this is my own belief though, that most often it is Port that faces the city(s). NOW, you have to understand that a ship might enter on the opposite side of the bay than it did for our cruises, so it might be the starboard side that gets more of the land views than the port side. I think it depends on what the Captain and the Pilot decide.....

That said, we have 2 cruises booked round trip out of Vancouver in 2011 for Alaska, one we have an Aft Wraparound on the Port side the other Aft Wraparound on the Starboard side.

I have not done Open Seating, so cannot give you anything o that one. We normally eat in the Main Dining Room Late Seating for diner.

Smoking is allowed in all staterooms and verandahs, so you will have the chance of someone's smoke wafting in your direction, though I must say that most of us are considerate and if you have a problem, ask us and we will be considerate and not smoke out there when we know you are also out enjoying the views. I always ask my next door neighbors if my smoke bothers them, if so I do not smoke on my verandah!! Generally though, the smoke is not very noticable except if the ship is at a dead stop, i.e., in a Port. The reason is that when the ship is moving, so is the smoke.

Penthouse and Deluxe Verandah Suite Guests, PS and S category staterooms on the Ryndam and Statendam both have a seperate check in line for embarking. If you do not see the line, ask for assistance from one of the Porters or a HAL representative, they will point you in the right direction.

Hopefully, I've been able to answer your questions.

Joanie

Hi Joanie and thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately - in reading yours and others posts - I went ahead and booked the Statendam. I say unfortunately because 1. I couldn't stand being a in a Smoking Cabin/Suite and 2. I just read some HORRIFIC reviews about the Statendam on this site.... taking your advice to Search for Experienced Statendam Cruisers. The very first (and most recent) one from GeneTree about the deplorable conditions on his Statendam cruise just last month!!! And others who have said the Statendam is the least favourite ship of HAL. In reading all these threads (and I have read both Statendam Exp. Cruisers and Ryndam), it seems that Ryndam has less negative reviews. It also seems that the ship's iron out their problems within about 3 months.

As the Statendam has the best itinerary (inc. Glacier Bay, Inside Passage and Skagway whereas the Ryndam only does Inside Passage - no Glacier Bay and no Skagway - and Tracey Arm(?)) I kept the hold on the last suite on the Ryndam.

So I have 2 questions to ask:

1. As our cruise (on either ship) is not until Sept, would the Statendam be up to snuff or would it still be tired, but no longer malfunctioning AND tired?

OR

2. As there are fewer negatives on the Ryndam would we be better off going on her even though the itinerary isn't as good?

We are taking the Deluxe Verandah Suite on both.

Thanks Joanie (and anyone else who replies).

Hi Joanie and thanks for your quick reply.

Unfortunately - in reading yours and others posts - I went ahead and booked the Statendam. I say unfortunately because 1. I couldn't stand being a in a Smoking Cabin/Suite and 2. I just read some HORRIFIC reviews about the Statendam on this site.... taking your advice to Search for Experienced Statendam Cruisers. The very first (and most recent) one from GeneTree about the deplorable conditions on his Statendam cruise just last month!!! And others who have said the Statendam is the least favourite ship of HAL. In reading all these threads (and I have read both Statendam Exp. Cruisers and Ryndam), it seems that Ryndam has less negative reviews. It also seems that the ship's iron out their problems within about 3 months.

As the Statendam has the best itinerary (inc. Glacier Bay, Inside Passage and Skagway whereas the Ryndam only does Inside Passage - no Glacier Bay and no Skagway - and Tracey Arm(?)) I kept the hold on the last suite on the Ryndam.

So I have 2 questions to ask:

1. As our cruise (on either ship) is not until Sept, would the Statendam be up to snuff or would it still be tired, but no longer malfunctioning AND tired?

OR

2. As there are fewer negatives on the Ryndam would we be better off going on her even though the itinerary isn't as good?

We are taking the Deluxe Verandah Suite on both.

Thanks Joanie (and anyone else who replies).

OK, I have hubby in the background telling me what I should say to you on #1.

He says, and I tend to agree: Take the Best review and the Worst review of any ship and throw them both out.

Read everything else and remember that what YOU want to get out of your vacation.

Also keep in mind that everything is different for everyone, what one person thought was an absolutely horrific cruise, might have been the best cruise ever for the person next door to them. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Some people are easier to please and others demand more...

Depends upon attitude also. If you go with the attitude that the Statendam is/was in bad shape, you are going to be looking at her in a negative way, and may just find things wrong that I might overlook. I hope that makes sense???

As an example, just this past weekend, hubby wanted to book a 14 day round trip Alaska out of Seattle. Now this is a cruise I would dearly and I do mean DEARLY love to do, but it is only available on the Amsterdam. I've never been on her and I have only read good reviews of her, BUT, I will not sail on her because of the over hangs from the top 2 decks. I want sun and sky. I do not want am umbrella over me when I cruise. I would be miserable on Amsterdam because of the overhang and would find all kinds of things to nit pick away at on her. Why make myself miserable?....

I think you made a good choice of ships for your cruise. It goes where you want to go and that will be great!!

What do you want the most is the most important thing to consider. Many people will say that for them it is the itinerary others say the ship. You sound like Glacier Bay is the most important place for you really and I agree. You should go with the Statendam because it is going where you want to go!!

I do believe that ANY and ALL problems that were experienced previously SHOULD be worked out by September:) If you want to feel even better about booking the Statendam, I would suggest that you ask Atomica. He seems to be a fair minded person when it comes to critiquing and I believe he just came off of Statendam recently.

You do realize that there may be smokers on the Statendam also right? HAL does not have a no smoking policy for any of its ships. They do limit where in public areas you can smoke, but not the staterooms or verandahs.

Before I forget, Tracey Arm is another Glacier near Sitka (I believe).

I think all in all you will be happier on Statendam:D

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie

OK, I have hubby in the background telling me what I should say to you on #1.

He says, and I tend to agree: Take the Best review and the Worst review of any ship and throw them both out.

Read everything else and remember that what YOU want to get out of your vacation.

Also keep in mind that everything is different for everyone, what one person thought was an absolutely horrific cruise, might have been the best cruise ever for the person next door to them. Everyone has different likes and dislikes. Some people are easier to please and others demand more...

Depends upon attitude also. If you go with the attitude that the Statendam is/was in bad shape, you are going to be looking at her in a negative way, and may just find things wrong that I might overlook. I hope that makes sense???

As an example, just this past weekend, hubby wanted to book a 14 day round trip Alaska out of Seattle. Now this is a cruise I would dearly and I do mean DEARLY love to do, but it is only available on the Amsterdam. I've never been on her and I have only read good reviews of her, BUT, I will not sail on her because of the over hangs from the top 2 decks. I want sun and sky. I do not want am umbrella over me when I cruise. I would be miserable on Amsterdam because of the overhang and would find all kinds of things to nit pick away at on her. Why make myself miserable?....

I think you made a good choice of ships for your cruise. It goes where you want to go and that will be great!!

What do you want the most is the most important thing to consider. Many people will say that for them it is the itinerary others say the ship. You sound like Glacier Bay is the most important place for you really and I agree. You should go with the Statendam because it is going where you want to go!!

I do believe that ANY and ALL problems that were experienced previously SHOULD be worked out by September:) If you want to feel even better about booking the Statendam, I would suggest that you ask Atomica. He seems to be a fair minded person when it comes to critiquing and I believe he just came off of Statendam recently.

You do realize that there may be smokers on the Statendam also right? HAL does not have a no smoking policy for any of its ships. They do limit where in public areas you can smoke, but not the staterooms or verandahs.

Before I forget, Tracey Arm is another Glacier near Sitka (I believe).

I think all in all you will be happier on Statendam:D

Joanie

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head... go for the Statendam because it has a First Time Alaska Cruiser's best itinerary. AND hope for the best as it will be four months before we go. That said, I do want to follow your suggestion and contact Atomica (now how would I go about that please?) and see what he has to say. Good to hear that Tracey Arm is another glacier though, just in case. I should also say that we are still waitlisted on the RCL Radiance as that Suite was our first choice and 'they' say it is great for an Alaskan cruise as it has so much glass. At the moment though, we are still booked on the Statendam and have a hold on the last suite left on the Ryndam until Saturday. Must decide by then!!! Anyway, please let me know how to reach Atomica and thank you both (hubby and you) for your input and advice.

Aloha!

HNLGAL

FYI, my travel agent checked with HAL after we purchased an upgrade from SS to SA and was advised by HAL that the pre-cruise/post-cruise hotel offer is not available when the suite is purchased as an upgrade.

We did a last minute booking in the SA on Zuiderdam for the Alaska cruise in June.Thanks to this board we have contacted our AX travel agent regarding the pre-cruise offer. She wasn't aware of the offer but contacted HAL and we got a free pre-cruise hotel and airport transportation. Thanks again.

I think you have probably hit the nail on the head... go for the Statendam because it has a First Time Alaska Cruiser's best itinerary. AND hope for the best as it will be four months before we go. That said, I do want to follow your suggestion and contact Atomica (now how would I go about that please?) and see what he has to say. Good to hear that Tracey Arm is another glacier though, just in case. I should also say that we are still waitlisted on the RCL Radiance as that Suite was our first choice and 'they' say it is great for an Alaskan cruise as it has so much glass. At the moment though, we are still booked on the Statendam and have a hold on the last suite left on the Ryndam until Saturday. Must decide by then!!! Anyway, please let me know how to reach Atomica and thank you both (hubby and you) for your input and advice.

Aloha!

HNLGAL

I think you will be happy with Statendam and the itinerary!!

To contact Atomica, I went to his home page and am sending him a message to contact you on this thread. I hope he does and you get the answers that I cannot give you.

Joanie

I think you will be happy with Statendam and the itinerary!!

To contact Atomica, I went to his home page and am sending him a message to contact you on this thread. I hope he does and you get the answers that I cannot give you.

Joanie

Thanks again Joanie... Haven't heard from Atomica yet.... How do you go to someone's home page?

HNLGAL

Thanks again Joanie... Haven't heard from Atomica yet.... How do you go to someone's home page?

HNLGAL

Hi again,

To find someone's email address or a web page they have, if you go to the Members List and type in their name, in this case go to here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/memberlist.php on the right hand side is Search Members you can click on that and type in their name then hit return or click Go. He has his web info (url) listed under his countdown clock in his signature.

You might also want to ask Copper10-8. He was on the Statendam this past April. I highly respect him and also feel he will give you an honest opinion of the ship.

Joanie

Hi again,

To find someone's email address or a web page they have, if you go to the Members List and type in their name, in this case go to here: http://boards.cruisecritic.com/memberlist.php on the right hand side is Search Members you can click on that and type in their name then hit return or click Go. He has his web info (url) listed under his countdown clock in his signature.

You might also want to ask Copper10-8. He was on the Statendam this past April. I highly respect him and also feel he will give you an honest opinion of the ship.

Joanie

Hi Joanie,

I have looked and looked and cannot see a link anywhere for Copper's email address. I posted a query in another thread hoping to catch him (he was even online when I did it!) but I don't know if I did it right. Any other suggestins?

Thanks again.

Hi Joanie,

I have looked and looked and cannot see a link anywhere for Copper's email address. I posted a query in another thread hoping to catch him (he was even online when I did it!) but I don't know if I did it right. Any other suggestins?

Thanks again.

OK, follow this link to Coppers' thread and ask him here (start with something like Copper10-8:OFF TOPIC NEED HELP): http://boards.cruisecritic.com/showthread.php?t=1102655&page=43

Joanie

Hope I am not barging in -- but I thought Copper 10-8 was on the Oosterdam in April.

It has been years since we was on the Statendam -- maybe 12 and at least 3 years since he was on the Ryndam.

Check his cruises in his signature.

Yonnie, thanks for that info. I guess I was looking at Johns' upcoming cruise:o

I am desperately trying to find someone who can give some reassurance to HNLGAL and his girlfriend that they will be ok on the Statendam in September.

Joanie

I am in the same situation -- we haven't been on the Rundam since the fall of 2007 and the Statendam since summer of 2006.

So I can't help here -- nor would I venture to even comment on the ships since it has been years since we sailed on them.

It is a hard decision -- we always try to choose by itinerary -- but at the same time we always look at the ships.

Rough decision here.

I am in the same situation -- we haven't been on the Rundam since the fall of 2007 and the Statendam since summer of 2006.

So I can't help here -- nor would I venture to even comment on the ships since it has been years since we sailed on them.

It is a hard decision -- we always try to choose by itinerary -- but at the same time we always look at the ships.

Rough decision here.

I am so confused.... I emailed the query to Dutch By Association too but haven't heard back from him.

Can someone who has cruised Alaska at least a few times tell me which itinerary is best for a first (and perhaps only) timer???? Maybe that would at least give me some idea....

Statendam: Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Glacier Bay and Skagway

Ryndam: Inside Passage, Juneau, Ketchikan, Sitka, and Tracy Arm

Thanks a bunch!

HNLGAL

We have been to all those ports.

Tracy Arm -- it's all right. But we love the fact that you start to enter Glacier Bay early in the day -- spend an hour or more at Margerie Glacier -- watch the calving of the glacier. Then start a slow exit.

Skagway -- the first time we cruised to Alaska back in the 80's we fell in love with this town. It has changed quite a bit over the years -- but we still love that port.

Then again Sitka -- another quaint port -- it is a tendering port if you are worried about tendering.

If I had to choose -- we would be sailing on the Statendam.

We also know that if we had any problems with the cabin -- the concierges would be there to help us. They are great.

We have been to all those ports.

Tracy Arm -- it's all right. But we love the fact that you start to enter Glacier Bay early in the day -- spend an hour or more at Margerie Glacier -- watch the calving of the glacier. Then start a slow exit.

Skagway -- the first time we cruised to Alaska back in the 80's we fell in love with this town. It has changed quite a bit over the years -- but we still love that port.

Then again Sitka -- another quaint port -- it is a tendering port if you are worried about tendering.

If I had to choose -- we would be sailing on the Statendam.

We also know that if we had any problems with the cabin -- the concierges would be there to help us. They are great.

Yonnie, Statendam is exactly what I also thought. I know that HNLGAL told me in the beginning that Glacier Bay is a must:) So I also said Statendam!! Glad to see someone else thinks so also:)

I am looking forward to seeing Skagway and Tracey Arm, but I've seen the other 2 glaciers and want something new now:D

Sorry HNLGAL about mistaking your sex:eek:

Yonnie is one of the most experienced HAL cruisers I know of. If she thinks you should do Statendam, I think you have made the right choice also:)

Joanie

Yonnie, Statendam is exactly what I also thought. I know that HNLGAL told me in the beginning that Glacier Bay is a must:) So I also said Statendam!! Glad to see someone else thinks so also:)

I am looking forward to seeing Skagway and Tracey Arm, but I've seen the other 2 glaciers and want something new now:D

Sorry HNLGAL about mistaking your sex:eek:

Yonnie is one of the most experienced HAL cruisers I know of. If she thinks you should do Statendam, I think you have made the right choice also:)

Joanie

Thanks to both of you.... I was leaning towards Ryndam, because the ship sounded so good, but perhaps it is the itinerary first after all. Joanie, thank you so much for all your help! KK thank you too for narrowing it down for us!

Wish us luck!

HNLGAL

Thanks to both of you.... I was leaning towards Ryndam, because the ship sounded so good, but perhaps it is the itinerary first after all. Joanie, thank you so much for all your help! KK thank you too for narrowing it down for us!

Wish us luck!

HNLGAL

I think you will be happy with your choice hon!! Keep in mind what YOU want!! Another thing to always keep in mind is, you will be on a cruise of a lifetime. One you have dreamt about (will be dreaming about) for years. How many others do you know who will be able to relive your memories?

Also, I stress to everyone that we each have our own standards of what is great and what is misery. I look at any cruise as a wonderful vacation and I do not let little things get me down. I hated my last stateroom, VA as opposed to a Deluxe Verandah Suite, it was just to small for me, but I did not let it ruin my vacation. I slammed the verandah door shut onto my left hand and had to have 6 stitches in my middle finger. I did not let that ruin my vacation. I looked at the finger incident as the only time in my life I was able to give the 'finger' to everyone and get away with it:D

Enjoy the cruise hon!!! And I hope you take lots of photos for the HAL Staterooms Pages for me??;):D

Joanie

Edited by IRL_Joanie