Please help, what would you do?

glo1196

I have a 5 night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas with my family, coming up in Feb. The price just dropped because they added a resident price. Here is my dilemma. Right now I have an aft corner room on deck 10. One of the ones with the bigger balcony and the pole in the middle of the room. It is my families first time in a balcony. We can have $300 credit or for $50 more than I am paying now upgrade to a Junior suite mid-ship on the 9th floor. What would you do? Is a Junior Suite that much of a big difference from the corner aft room? I would do this in an instant if I had a regular balcony room, but with the aft which is better? Help?

There are three or four of you?

Take the JS.

Really.

A child could SLEEP in the walk-in closet in the JS. I'm not kidding; this is NOT an exaggeration.

You'll also get a bathtub and two cruise credits.

I love 1388/1688, but I would take a Deck 9 midships JS in a heartbeat.

It's a no brainer - keep your corner aft! There's room enough for a small army in the corner cabins, they really are very spacious and it's huge balcony makes the cabin seem seem even bigger. There were 4 of us in ours and we had no complaints from either of my DD's about the bed/settee - believe me they aren't easy to please! Try the corner aft, bank the price drop and enjoy.... you won't regret it.

I'd definitely keep the corner aft, the cabin is almost as big and the balcony much bigger than a JS plus you get $300.

Even if they were the same price I'd probably choose the corner aft.

Julie

I like the Junior Suites myself. But one thing you should ask yourself is "Does anyone suffer from motion sickness?" If so you may want to think about moving from the aft. Many people do not have problems with aft cabins but I know my DH would. He would be miserable and then I would be miserable along with him.

We have had JS on several occasions and the walk in closet alone is worth the money. It can also serve as a changing room when someone else is already in the bathroom.

What ever you decide have a wonderful cruise.

As you see, you are going to get mixed answers, equally convincing. You have to decide where you really want to be (aft or midship) and if you want to save some money.

I don't care about being aft so I would take the JS. As someone said above, you can use the closet as a changing room, and that is handy when you're traveling with kids. Plus it's 2 cruise credits. I also like being near the elevators; it's very convenient.

I am waiting to hear from the travel agent. My kids want the bunk beds and I am not sure the suites have them. They hate sleeping together, but they didn't have that on the aft room either. I am so torn. The aft room on deck 10 isn't really a far walk since it is such a short deck, but I am worried about the soot people talk about, and the motion sickness, even if we have never had it. Is it really worse back there? I am so confused!

By taking the JS, you'll get about 83 sq. ft more space in your cabin. (and a tub, which means a little larger bathroom!) That's alot!

Yes, the corner aft you now have is configured a bit differntly, but it's still much smaller than the JS.

But, whichever way you decide to go, you'll still have a fabulous vacation....

What the people advising you to take the JS fail to understand is the size of your corner aft. 1388/1688 is the same size as a JS, plus it has a larger balcony. There is PLENTY of room for your family in the corner aft. The only thing a JS has that your corner aft won't is a larger closet and a tub. Take the $300 credit. ;)

BTW, you can request a roll away bed and the kids can have separate beds. You will have plenty of space for a rollaway.

What the people advising you to take the JS fail to understand is the size of your corner aft. 1388/1688 is the same size as a JS, plus it has a larger balcony. There is PLENTY of room for your family in the corner aft. The only thing a JS has that your corner aft won't is a larger closet and a tub. Take the $300 credit. ;)

Does anyone know the square footage of the aft room? We won't use the tub, that I know, the deal breaker is the 2 credits and room size!

I say keep the aft and bank the credit! According to other responses, the different configuration of your cabin makes it equal in size to a JS, and from what I have read/seen your balcony is worth it!

I have sailed in an aft twice, and experienced no soot and a very slight lulling vibration. No one in my party was affected... just slept very well ;)

(as for the JS) Although the walk in closet IS a draw, and we really DID use it as a changing room, it doesn't compare to the aft view, size of the balcony being surrendered AND the $300 credit!!!

JMHO :p

A~

Since we have sailed mostly inside cabins on the bottom floors, I do not think that vibration will bother us. I just know that we won't get this type of opportunity again for a while. I was excited when I got such a deal and got my family a balcony, then when the aft popped up it was an added WOW benefit, since it is not that far to sailing, those cabins tend to go fast. I just want to wow my family. I would love to know if there is really that much of a size difference. I would love the two credits, and the CL access, but heck not sure that is worth the $300 we can use on an excursion or on the ship. I have a budget so the $300 will be used no matter what....lol

I would keep the aft cabin and the $300, if your family is used to insides, then they will be wowed with the balcony, we usually cruise in insides and once in a while we get a great deal on a balcony and we are soooooooo excited.

you do not get conceiger with a Jr. Suite, just suites,

Since we have sailed mostly inside cabins on the bottom floors, I do not think that vibration will bother us. I just know that we won't get this type of opportunity again for a while. I was excited when I got such a deal and got my family a balcony, then when the aft popped up it was an added WOW benefit, since it is not that far to sailing, those cabins tend to go fast. I just want to wow my family. I would love to know if there is really that much of a size difference. I would love the two credits, and the CL access, but heck not sure that is worth the $300 we can use on an excursion or on the ship. I have a budget so the $300 will be used no matter what....lol

Like I said before, the size is the same. I've been in both 1388 and a JS on a cabin crawl so I've seen them both. You will not get CL access in a JS, that is for full suites only. Looks to me like you now need to decide if two credits is worth the switch since that is the only difference that matters to you.

I am waiting to hear from the travel agent. My kids want the bunk beds and I am not sure the suites have them. They hate sleeping together, but they didn't have that on the aft room either. I am so torn. The aft room on deck 10 isn't really a far walk since it is such a short deck, but I am worried about the soot people talk about, and the motion sickness, even if we have never had it. Is it really worse back there? I am so confused!

We have sailed in 1688 on the Mariner twice and would again in a heartbeat. The cabin is wider than a typical D1 so even with the sofabed open, there is room to move around. I looked at the deck plans and all the JS on deck 9 have sofabeds, not pullmans, so the kids are going to have to sleep together on the sofabed anyway.

I agree that the walk aft isn't a big deal. The pole never bothered us either. We had soot on our balcony once out of 14 days we sailed so it was never an issue for us. As far as motion, we really never noticed a difference but we only had one day that the seas were a little rough. We lucked out with calm seas on both our Mariner cruises unlike the rocking and rolling I had on my first cruise on the Sovereign.

I would keep the aft cabin and get a nice credit. I would also ask if you could get a rollaway bed. It would be tight but I think it would go across the balcony door area if they moved the arm chair.

How old are your children? If they are over 10, the sofabed will not be fun for them. My kids prefer the rooms with pullmans, as they each get their own bed.

I wouldn't worry about the motion; to me, it is more like a side to side vibration rather than the up and down motion you might be thinking about. I find that to be more of a problem in a forward cabin.

Regarding the walk: some people do not mind walking all the way aft, but I do mind. I find the midship cabins to be extremely convenient, especially when I have to run back quite often for forgotten items.

As I said before, it is a matter of whether you want the aft view, and whether or not you want to save the money. It is 5 days. Even if your kids end up sleeping on the sofabed mattress on the floor (mine have!) you will still have fun. Don't worry.

I have a 5 night cruise on the Navigator of the Seas with my family, coming up in Feb. The price just dropped because they added a resident price. Here is my dilemma. Right now I have an aft corner room on deck 10. One of the ones with the bigger balcony and the pole in the middle of the room. It is my families first time in a balcony. We can have $300 credit or for $50 more than I am paying now upgrade to a Junior suite mid-ship on the 9th floor. What would you do? Is a Junior Suite that much of a big difference from the corner aft room? I would do this in an instant if I had a regular balcony room, but with the aft which is better? Help?

I haven't read all of the responses but see that several are recommending the Junior Suite. Having stayed in the corner aft (1688) on Navigator I would keep the corner aft. I travel with 2 friends and we always get a JS. On the Navigator trip this past March we decided to "get by" with the smaller cabin in order to try an aft balcony. We actually felt like we had more room than in a JS (except the bathroom is smaller and has a shower stall instead of a tub). Here are a couple of pictures of 1688 and there are more in the Navigator link in my signature. When we do another Voyager class cruise, this cabin will be our 1st choice before a JS.

491779825_4r84H-M-1.jpg

491779619_acWZA-M-1.jpg

JS's don't receive CL access as they aren't suites. Only GS's and above get the CL.

Archived