Caribbean Cruise - insects....

minsterman

Hi. We're going on a Southern Caribbean cruise a week on Sat and have just been stocking up on insect repellant!

We'd read about Dengue Fever (sp?) and not sure how paranoid we need to be abut using the repellant?

Do we need to use it on sea days?

Will we need to use it in New Orleans (pre cruise) in the daytime? at

night?

Should we use it on an evening when we're strollimng round the deck (hopefully!)

Do you need to keep putting it on every time you apply more suncream?

Should you use it before or after the suncream?

lots of questions.......hope you can help!!

Thanks

In our experience, (18 cruises) we have never noticed a need for insect repellant on the cruise ship, in fact, the only time we have needed it was on a farm in Chile. Never bothered by insects in the Caribbean and my husband is one of those people that seems to attract them!

Having been to New Orleans many times, I would think you might want to use it at night and daytime if you are going to be out in rural areas for sure.

We usually put sunscreen on first, then repellant if needed but I'm not positive that is correct!!

Have a great time on your cruise!

Sherri:)

See your local Avon lady. They make a product that is sunscreen and insect repellent. I think you are WAY over reacting. I have been on 24 cruises and never got a bug bite, Maybe if you are going into the jungle on some island you may put it on but even then it is not all that necessary. Just relax and have a good time. Bon Voyage.....

The only issue I've ever experienced with bugs was on a private Island (I think Disney's) where there must have been a nest or something under our picnic table, because we all walked away with bug bites up and down our legs. Nothing alittle itch cream couldn't relieve, though.

I've brought insect repellant for some excursions, but cannot ever recall actually using it! If I did, it would be AFTER the sunscreen. As the other posted said, not sure if that is right or not.

That's just my experience, FWIW

A~

You do not have to be concerned about it while on the ship. However, when you go ashore, it is a good idea to wear it, especially on excursions. You do not want to catch dengue, so it is only prudent to take a simple precaution.

OFF makes a 30 SPF sunscreen. It works great.

Living in the caribbean, I rarely have any need for insect repellent. If we have a very wet rainy season mosquitos will breed. This isn't the case now.

I suppose if you plan on any long hikes in a rain forest there might be a need otherwise forget about it.

You are not going to need any on the ship, at a beach ( too breezy) or just walking around shopping.

On the cruise ship itself it is not needed. Depending on the excursions you are planning taking, you should bring some. We used when we were on a Mayan tour since we knew we would be in the jungles. I have also used it in Freeport when I took a kayak tour through a mangrove swamp. I was glad I did.

It would be a good idea to put some bug repellent on for wandering about in New Orleans both day and night. If you are planning a swamp tour, bring some extra spray with you. The swamps are really bad sometimes.

I've never had mosquito problems on the islands. We ran into some sand fleas in Cayman once. They are annoying! I don't know if OFF or similar works on them or not - we didn't have any.

We did the Tulum ruins tour from our Cozumel stop and were really glad we had bug repellant. Cozumel isn't one of the S. Caribbean stops so that won't be a problem.

the only time I had a problem was when I went horse riding on an excursion in mexico -the mozzies bit the life out of me and these werent normal bites they were the size of tennisd balls...not very attractive on formal night :D

I have never used (nor needed) insect repellant on a cruise ship. I also lived for four years in New Orleans and never used (nor needed) insect repellant while in the city. Repellant may come in handy for certain types of activities (i.e. swamp tour in Lousiana or jungle tour in Caribbean). Insect repellant/sunscreen combination products are becoming fairly common, so it may be easiest to just bring a bottle or two of this (if you are planning some activities in swamps and/or jungles).

Aside from the occassional flying insect in port, you won't need bug repellent. If you're doing some excursion in the woods/forest, you may want to apply some, but if you're going to a beach or the town, you really won't need it.

You're getting waaaay too worried about nothing!

There are no mosquitoes at sea as there's really nowhere for them to breed. In fact, other than in port, you will rarely see bugs and those few you might see onboard are ones that hitched a ride from the previous port. I don't think I've ever seen any bugs onboard a ship. We were mosquito bit inland in Belize at Altun Ha, but a little repellent took care of that. Otherwise, never had a problem with bugs anywhere in the Caribbean-St Thomas, Nassau, Freeport, Cozumel, San Juan, St. Martin, Grand Turk. I would only take something if you're going to be in a rainforest area which is where we were in Belize.

Archived