Rough seas out of Seattle to Vancouver?

calteacher

I know--no one can predict what the weather will be like or how high the seas will be. But, as a general rule, do sailings out of Seattle generally have rougher seas the first day as compared to sailing from Vancouver?

We have sailed from Vancouver a number of times (and have had some rough seas the day after leaving Vancouver and the day prior to arriving in Vancouver.)

Next summer's 14-day cruise in Alaska sounds so inviting, but I'm not sure how I will feel with two days on each end with rough seas. Yes, I do take Meclazine. And Yes, I know that you can't predict. I'm just asking for someone who has experienced sailing from Seattle vs Vancouver.

Thanks.

I have never sailed from Seattle, but having done Alaska twice from Vancouver, the first night is usually spent traveling up the inside of Vancouver Island, and mostly calm waters, except for some abrupt course changes through Johnstone Strait. The first full day at sea can get a bit rough as you leave the protection of Vancouver Island. Having only done the 7day inside passage cruise most of the rough water was the first and last sea days. Now I don't know for sure, but I think a lot of the Alaska ships from Seattle go up the West side of Vancouver Island and I would say, that exposure alone would make them more prone to rough seas in the first and last few sea days. I am sure someone who has done it can confirm.

Yes sailings out of Seattle do go into the ocean as opposed to those out of Vancouver. Just be prepared with your Meclazine. Out of Vancouver you only have a short bit in open ocean. We only have done the Seattle departure once and once from San Francisco. I prefer Vancouver but Seattle is so much more convenient.

we have sailed on the Veedam from San Diego via Seattle up to Vancouver and yes, it can be rocky (in fact, one of our rockier cruises)

I believe it is usually calmer sailing from Vancouver to Seattle.

If thinking about an Alaska cruise, you may wish to do the smoother sailing from Vancouver, instead of cruising from Seattle. JMO

Any time you sail out of Seattle you are sailing on the west side of Vancouver Island out in the open Pacific Ocean. As a result you are much more subject to rough sea conditions for up to 36 hours in either direction. When you sail in the Inside Passage from Vancouver your exposure to rough seas is just a matter of a few hours as you pass through Queen Charlotte Sound and Dixon Entrance. Tonight and tomorrow the Queen Charlotte Islands have a high wind warnings up....winds to over 55 mph.

Thanks for your responses. They confirm what I had thought. Problem is, the 14-day cruise which goes to Homer and Kodiak only departs from Seattle. Oh well, that is months away and will give time to decide whether I want to spend several days in a Meclazine-induced stupor. Actually, I have been thinking that we would wait until final payment for the May/June cruises and take a chance on getting a bargain.

Thanks again.

Thanks for your responses. They confirm what I had thought. Problem is, the 14-day cruise which goes to Homer and Kodiak only departs from Seattle. Oh well, that is months away and will give time to decide whether I want to spend several days in a Meclazine-induced stupor. Actually, I have been thinking that we would wait until final payment for the May/June cruises and take a chance on getting a bargain.

Thanks again.

Hi Calteacher! In mid May 2008 and Early May 2009 we sailed R/T Seattle -Alaska and had 4-5 foot seas. Very nice weather both times. Though our first cruise in 2008, the Ship's nurse told me that the week before they'd had 20 foot seas and roughly 2/3 of the passengers and crew were sea sick.

I have photos in my personal links below that I took of the seas if you'd like to see for yourself:)

The previous responses to the OP are very accurate. Given the same weather conditions in the area, outside (by virtue of the geography) is almost certain to be rough-ER. Now, that doesn't always mean it's intolerable.

I can't speak to your sensitivity at all. I have been on cruises where I've heard many passengers fretting in advance about any kind of "rough" seas they might encounter. I'm pretty certain some of that is built up from anxiety over things they have not yet experienced. We get asked all the time by friends who have never cruised, "don't you take anything for sea-sickness?" Actually we don't...we are fortunate to be good sailors and except for us stumbling around on a rough day, it might as well be calm.

I am wondering, are you sure you will succumb to mal de mer? If not, maybe give it a drug free day. However, I realize that might be a bad chance to take. Alternatively, is there any other remedy you might wish to try. I see people with pressurized wrist bands, scopalomine patches, other various pills, etc. I really sympathize with you having to be in a stupor of sorts. Somewhere on these boards there are suggestions on how to deal with this. Maybe you will find something else that can work for you without the adverse side-effects.

Those 14-day Alaska's next year are extremely inviting and attractive. It would be a shame to let your preventive medicine treatment make it so unpleasant so as to not to want to go.

Here's wishing you the best and hope you can find a (better) solution.

Bob

I have been blessed! I have sailed from Seattle going the "outside Passage" ( West side of Vancouver Island) and have not run into rough weather. I have not experienced real rough on the inside either but then, I have been blest. The roughest weather I have expeienced in Alaska was in May of 2001 in the Gulf of Alaska.

Thank you all for your kind words. I normally take a meclazine the morning we begin a cruise and then see how it goes. One cruise sailing south to Vancouver, we had enough motion that the silverware drawers in the dining room were opening. I found if I was on the deck and breathing lots of cold air, I was fine. Also, once in our cabin, I was able to sleep.

However, on a 4-day repositioning from Vancouver to San Diego, I neglected to take anything and the first day was great as we only sailed to Victoria. However, that night after dinner we hit the open seas and I spend the next 1-2 hours sitting in the atrium, bottom level, center of the ship and staring straight ahead. I was joined by another passenger who was feeling like I was feeling and we just talked while not even looking at each other. (Yes, by then I had taken a pill, eaten one of the many green apples sitting in bowls throughout the ship as well as had eaten saltine crackers.)

So, being "sleepy" all day isn't really a bad thing--I can catch up on my sleep--and since there are sea days after leaving and before returning to Seattle, I think I can be OK.

I really have to plan it right to find the appropriate time to spring this on my DH. And, a great time would be about a month before sailing (assuming there is still availability and a decent price).

Don't forget, even if it were to sail out of Vancouver, the 14-day itinerary is going to cross the Gulf of Alaska to get to Homer and the Cook Inlet. That's broad ocean, and it will be going against the Japan Current on the way north. It's likely to feel as if you are at sea.

My first Alaska cruise went over to Homer, and it was stormy as we crossed the Gulf. I did feel the difference between that area and the calmer waters of the inside passage.

According to HAL's itinerary and map on their web site, the 14-day cruise starts by going east of Vancouver Island and returns west of the island.

We're booked 6/14.

There is only one day at sea in each direction at the beginning and the end.

If you have never been sea sick, is there still a chance you could one day?

It's possible. I'm an experienced cruiser, and have sailed through some pretty wild seas without a problem, and yet there have been a couple of times that I got a bit queasy. When that happens I know to get outside to fresh air, and look at the horizon, and it passes.

I would bet that others have experienced similar things, to different degrees.

We just came back from our Alaska sailing and yes, encountered rough seas on the outside of Vancouver Island (worse coming back). Not able to sleep, I talked to a crew member at 2 AM when I was reading in a public area. She said that the beginning and end of the AK season are the worst in terms of weather. She said in her experience, the only sailings worse weather wise are the north Atlantic crossings and Australia/NZ in the winter.

ETA: We had 15 foot swells (there were barf bags hanging in the public areas). I guess the week before was worse with 30 foot swells one night.

Archived