Ipods with speakers on the balcony

canadiansnowbird

Just thought I would get some feel for what cruisers think about using Ipods with speakers on the balcony.

On one recent thread, a cruiser said one of their favorite things to take was and IPod with speakers for the balcony.

I have an Ipod with speakers, but I would not take it out on the balcony, I use it for my own pleasure inside the cabin or sit outside with ear buds. On a ship, you do have close neighbors and sound travels. There would not be a quiet, peaceful evening enjoying the sea, only to be spoiled by speakers coming from who knows where. Everyones' music selection is different.

Has anyone had a bad experience and how was it handled?

Snowbird

Just thought I would get some feel for what cruisers think about using Ipods with speakers on the balcony.

On one recent thread, a cruiser said one of their favorite things to take was and IPod with speakers for the balcony.

I have an Ipod with speakers, but I would not take it out on the balcony, I use it for my own pleasure inside the cabin or sit outside with ear buds. On a ship, you do have close neighbors and sound travels. There would not be a quiet, peaceful evening enjoying the sea, only to be spoiled by speakers coming from who knows where. Everyones' music selection is different.

Has anyone had a bad experience and how was it handled?

Snowbird

I bring my Ipod player on all the warm weather cruises.I am very aware of my neighbors and turn the volume way down when they are out.On one cruise I heard our neighbors come out and turned down the music and they asked me to turn it back up as they also enjoyed classic rock!

On our recent cruise on the Diamond Princess to Alaska one of our group had a IPod with speakers and songs she thoughtfully programmed. On a beautiful sunny day on the balcony we had a champagne toast while sailing through the Inside Passage with the glaciers as a backdrop. All our neighbors seemed to enjoy the patriot selections she had made:) Although I'm sure some people could find something like that annoying. But I can honestly say people were really having a nice time and no complaints were heard.

Although most people wouldn't say a word about playing music they might not appreciate your selections and if you do use it I would at least play it with a low volume. It's probably no worse & maybe better than having a chain smoker in the next cabin.

With balconies so close together, I would never consider putting my speakers out so 'I' and others on 'My' balcony could enjoy the music. Those in adjoining staterooms might enjoy it, they might not. Many won't say anything, they will just not use their balcony.

Even though the music might be great in your opinion, to me it would be noise pollution while looking for a nice quiet relaxing time on my balcony also. Just my opinion of coarse.

Although I love music and enjoy a very eclectic range of music, I would prefer not to hear someone else's on the balcony. I wouldn't use mine out there and risk bothering someone else. I'm the person on the ship always looking for the quiet place to read or just relax, one of the reasons we get a balcony rather than relying on public areas.

Something I can't stand is when someone is playing music and you can tell it's playing, but can't really hear it. Does that make sense? Like all you hear is the bass, or what sounds like staticy noise. Although your immediate neighbors might hear your music and enjoy it, what about the person a few balconies or a deck away who just hears "noise"?

But, OTOH, I guess I'd rather hear music than some people's conversations. I don't get why people talk so loudly on their balconies (and on their cell phones) about things that should maybe be kept private. I guess they have a sense of being alone...kind of like women (do men do this, too?) who talk in the bathroom, forgetting that others are in the stalls...LOL.

I think that people should use their headphones if they want to listen to music on their balcony. My DH is an avid user of his MP3 player (headphones only!), but I would rather have the peace and quiet to read and just relax.

Sound travels further than you think and many people are just too shy to say anything negative to their balcony neighbors. I think it is wise to leave the Ipod/speakers inside of the cabin and play them only at a reasonable level.

We always bring our Ipods and speakers and use them in our stateroom only and then we keep the volume down. When we use them on the balcony it is with earphones only because while one neighbor may like your music you have other neighbors as well and they probably have other taste in music .

D

I bring my iPod, mainly to use on the flight, but always use ear buds. I wouldn't like to hear someone else's music while we are on the balcony, even if I liked their selection, and even if the volume was low. It's just too intrusive when you are trying to relax and/or read.

I wouldn't complain unless the music being played on the speakers was really loud, I would just drown it out by listening my own music. However, I would not be happy about being forced to use my iPod just to drown out the neighbouring cabin's music! I would rather listen to the water :)

M

The sound of the sea is the only sound I like to hear on our balcony...my DH uses his ear buds for his iPod...but soft music would be preferable to high pitched squeals and screams of young children..LOL!

How true... about the children.

We once booked a cruise last minute and lo and behold it was between two families one on each side that had booked two cabins each family, one for the parents and one for the children. For the whole week all we heard was the children running between the two cabins on the balconies (steward had removed the partition between) and banging doors. The only time we could sit outside in peace was when they went to dinner (early - we had late sitting). Needless to say we did not use our balcony much. Spoke to the steward, but what can you do with children who don't mind.

Also called the cruise line afterwards. (It was not Princess) I was told the cruise line would not tell me beforehand if there were children nearby.

Snowbird

I've used ours at very low volume with "appropriate" music and have never had a complaint. If somone had asked me to turn it off, I would have.

What is "appropriate" to you might not be to someone else.

I agree no speakers on the balcony.

Archived