Ipods with speakers on the balcony

canadiansnowbird

I have never had this problem but I don`t think I would like someone in the adjacent balcony playing music.

I love to hear the sea when I am on the balcony.

I am a big music lover but also just like to hear the sea when cruising. I have never had this issue either and am happy to have not had to ask someone to turn their music down. For my DW and I just sitting on the balcony and listening to the sea is one of the major things that brings us back on board year after year.

RA

The one and only time we cruised out of Galveston we had the second to last balcony on Caribe. We should have known there was a problem when on the first day the people on the last balcony put plastic palm trees and strung flamingo lights all around their balcony. It became party central. They had speakers attached to the balcony with bungee cords. We asked them nicely to keep the noise down several times before calling the pursers desk. After someone from security came up it would be quiet for a couple of hours and then would start again. This went on for the entire cruise! :eek::eek::eek:

So if you ask me about bringing Ipod speakers for your balcony - PLEASE DON'T!

We usually take ours and sometimes have it playing on the balcony, but we make sure we have it inside, right inside the door, (door wedged open) and it's always at a level that we can barely hear it so hopefully our neighbours can't. It usually helps drown out their conversation which is way louder than my IPOD.

Your balcony is only as good as your neighbor is.

How true!

I can't even count all the times I have been discouraged from using my balcony over the years. People screaming into their cellphones, people who smoked, people with really loud conversations, people who coughed up a lung next door. I have never had the iPod speaker issue, but I would probably dislike that too.

I admit, it is my own fault that my lack of desire for confrontation, even a polite suggestion, leads me to shut the door and stay inside my cabin. For the sake of your neighbors, I beg people to be considerate. I always bring an iPod or my iPhone, and I always bring my earphones along with it.

One apology: for when I have used my cellphone on my balcony, when in port, I'm sorry if it bugged anyone. It has always been a case of last resort. But on my last cruise, that truly was the only place I could get reception to call home and check on my family...:o

The sounds of the ship and the open ocean are the reason I choose to sit on the balcony. While some say they would "turn it down", the person who is in the position to ask them to do so becomes "the jerk in the cabin next door".

People have different tastes in music and some want quiet. Imagine cruising the grandeur of Tracy Arm Fiord or Glacier Bay to the sounds of Metallica or the Beastie Boys. Or how about sitting on the balcony on formal night to the romantic tunes of Foghat or Led Zepplin or maybe Ice-T.

The sound quality of the ear buds and the Bose noise reduction earphones allow you to enjoy your own kinds of music without disruption to others.

Leave the speakers at home.

Ear phones or ear buds don't necessarily solve the problem.

We flew home yesterday from St. Louis on a flight with a young man two rows ahead of us listening to music SO LOUD that we could hear the bass and sometimes the music itself even though he had ear phones.

Remember, this was on an airplane so this noise was carrying two rows in spite of the sound of the engines.

Ear phones or ear buds don't necessarily solve the problem.We flew home yesterday from St. Louis on a flight with a young man two rows ahead of us listening to music SO LOUD that we could hear the bass and sometimes the music itself even though he had ear phones. Remember, this was on an airplane so this noise was carrying two rows in spite of the sound of the engines.

OMG, I know exactly what you mean. I don't know what the difference is too me, but although on my balcony I'm like Waimea'sMom and rather than asking someone to stop doing something I just go inside, on an airplane, I ask the person to turn it down. For heaven's sake, if I'm 3 rows away and on the other side of the aisle...that's a long distance. I figure I'm doing several people a favor by asking them to change the volume. Usually, they seem to have no idea that anyone else can hear it.

I guess my differing behavior is probably because a) I'm a captive on that airplane until we land...I can't move, and b) they're not my neighbor for 7 - 21 days...once that flight's over, I'll never see them again. And, c) I can assume since they're wearing earbuds they're trying to be quiet.

I will be bringing my iPod and speaker on my next cruise for use in the room only. My head is like a juke box and there's always a song in there (seriously!). Sometimes one gets stuck so I'm humming, for example, "I'm 'enry the 8th I am...." all day until I can get to music. Oh, and I'm a library director so it's hard to get music in my office. :p

Other than that, I'll use my earbuds when needed and just listen to the sound of the ocean in our wake. Ahhhhhh..... :)

Susan

Ear phones or ear buds don't necessarily solve the problem.

We flew home yesterday from St. Louis on a flight with a young man two rows ahead of us listening to music SO LOUD that we could hear the bass and sometimes the music itself even though he had ear phones.

Remember, this was on an airplane so this noise was carrying two rows in spite of the sound of the engines.

The problem is that there are 3 types of earphones - earbuds, closed earphones, and open earphones. With the first 2 types , there is minimal sound leakage to the outside world. With the 3d, there is extensive sound leakage.

BTW, have you ever thought about how deaf these young people who play very loud music directly into their ears or in their cars (don't get me started on that point) will be as they get older?

DON

I think it is extremely selfish to force people on nearby balconies to listen to your selection of music. If you don't have earphones, don't play it on the balcony.

Agreed. I enjoy classical music, but some folks don't. I would not force it upon anyone. On a recent cruise we were subjected to country and western music which we can not stand. I know that some people love it. It was almost as annoying as the smokers!;)

Ear Buds all the way on the balcony. Low volume in the cabin and I will ask our neighbors/friends if it is too loud.

It's just like at home - I can't understand the kids that drive around with their sound systems cranked up and the windows rolled down :rolleyes:

I will be bringing my iPod and speaker on my next cruise for use in the room only. My head is like a juke box and there's always a song in there (seriously!). Sometimes one gets stuck so I'm humming, for example, "I'm 'enry the 8th I am...." all day until I can get to music. Oh, and I'm a library director so it's hard to get music in my office. :p

Other than that, I'll use my earbuds when needed and just listen to the sound of the ocean in our wake. Ahhhhhh..... :)

Susan

Now that song is stuck inside my head... Thanks.

Guess I better dig out my ipod, so I can "change the channel."

;)

Mary Ellen

Although most people wouldn't say a word about playing music they might not appreciate your selections and if you do use it I would at least play it with a low volume. It's probably no worse & maybe better than having a chain smoker in the next cabin.

soft music of any kind is MUCH preferable to a chain smoker next door!!!!!

We always bring our ipod and speakers. BUT, we are very aware of the people around us and make sure the volume is at a level that isn't bothering anyone else.

And if someone did ask us to turn it down we would, of course, do so.

Ditto that. We take a pair of folding Monster Cable speakers that are no bigger than a double disc CD along with our iPod. Nice to have a little Sausa or steel drums in the islands, or Reggae in Jamaica, Don Ho in Hawaii or the sounds of Humpback whales doing their thing in Alaska.

With the volume at 1/100 rock concert level, there is no problem with our surrounding cabin neighbors, especially underway. Most times they like the backround music for their own enjoyment.

soft music of any kind is MUCH preferable to a chain smoker next door!!!!!

I don't want either one! I'm not the type to start a possible confrontation so I'd just stay inside, but I wouldn't be very happy. I try to be a good neighbor and not to impose on others, and I'd love to receive the same consideration.

There was only one time I took my music out on the balcony. We were in the Caribbean and in port (St Marteen). We had just got back from snorkeling and I guess I had one too many rum punch drinks on the boat. My wife kindly reminded me that others might not enjoy my music as much as I was. No one complained, but I would only take ear buds out on the balcony now. We enjoy our music in the cabin at low volume. I would not want to hear other peoples music (unless it was just like mine.. :rolleyes: LOL.)

On this cruise we were awoke during the middle of the night (three nights in a row) by the sound of a woman obviously enjoying the fun her and her partner were having... if you get my drift. We could not determine which cabin it was coming from. After the third night, I sat up in bed and shouted as loud as I could.... EVERYONE CAN HEAR YOU....

Never heard it again... LOL. I don't know which would be worse.. The balcony music or the woman having the fun...

Cruise on!

Demented - :cool:

In a perfect cruise world, no one would shout on their balconies, or curse, or talk about lewd things and no one would smoke cigars everyday at happy hour (4pm) or hold an all night party, and kids wouldn't kick the dividers and people wouldn't look into your balcony to see if and who was there just to say hi while in your bathrobe. All of which has happened to me on past cruises.

I would welcome the Ipod with speakers to the things posted above as long as it was kept low. I mean to the volume of people talking (not shouting). Matter of fact maybe I will bring mine to drown out my neighbors :D

On this cruise we were awoke during the middle of the night (three nights in a row) by the sound of a woman obviously enjoying the fun her and her partner were having... if you get my drift. We could not determine which cabin it was coming from. After the third night, I sat up in bed and shouted as loud as I could.... EVERYONE CAN HEAR YOU....

Never heard it again... LOL. I don't know which would be worse.. The balcony music or the woman having the fun...

Cruise on!

Demented - :cool:

You should have shouted - "When you are done with her, can I have a turn"

DON

Archived