Ipods with speakers on the balcony

canadiansnowbird

I agree no speakers outside. We just got back from Alaskan cruise on the Golden and the lady in the cabin right above us was so annoying! Throughout our time in the Tracey Arm Fjord she thought it was just great to sing at the top of her lungs to the music being played on one of the Princess channels on tv. In every port she also would stand on her balcony and yell out to everyone coming back on board and in Victoria was whistling and calling to the ssea gulls at 11 pm. I should have said something to her but didn't.

If I can hear your music on my balcony, you are going to have to enjoy my CDs of Tibetian funeral durges, Gregorian chants, and moose calls.

DON

What a hoot! Thanks for my first afternoon laugh of the day. The other day my husband was teaching our granddaughter how to call moose. She's only 5, but pretty good at it. What an awful noise to have to put up with!

We once had a lady next door to us who enjoyed singing opera and show tunes (and not very well) at the top of her lungs while out on her balcony...during the entire cruise! The only good thing about this is that we happened to meet the people in the cabin on the other side of her (we were sitting next to each other at lunch and overheard them talking about the horrific singing)...as a result, we have become great friends and have cruised together many times since! Fotunately, I have never run into the singing diva again!!!

I would never ask anyone to turn down or turn off their music - just not the way I operate, but find loud conversations, music and the like interferes greatly with my enjoyment of my balcony.

On our last cruise (last week) there a few ladies that spoke very loudly (I would call it shouting) while on the balcony. Can't tell you how difficult it was to enjoy the balcony and my book! At least they weren't throwing orange peels onto my balcony as well (Alaska - in Glacier Bay). :(

It would be extraordinary for someone to not turn down the volume if it annoyed a neighbor --but it is discourteous to even play a private selection loud enough for your neighbors to hear -- you should not put them in the position of having to ask. Of course, that really applies to all noise -loud talk -on cellphone or in conversation - you shouldn't make other people listen to you or have to ask you to tone it down.

Costco had a great integrated set with a zippered travel case and a remote. It was only about 14 inches long and 2 inches thick.

I have this one and it travels well (though I will leave it home in December when we are on the Sapphire). I have taken it to the beach and oftentimes use it on our balcony at home when we entertain. Good sound, easy to use.

Esmo

I would never even consider exposing my balcony neighbors to my choice of music; if I did take an ipod on my balcony I would listen only with ear-phones. But I realize others are not as considerate; to me, being exposed to another's music choices on loudspeakers is just as annoying as having to listen to one end of a conversation on a cell phone. There is a time and place for everything, and polluting another's balcony with loudspeaker music or with smoke is in the same category.

This topic made me chuckle. Remember the day of the 'boom boxes' being carried on the kids shoulders??? How annoying all that music was! One of my kids lives in NYC and we were on the subway. In pops these two kids, one of them had their IPOD conncected to one of those little, itty bitty speakers that conncet to the bottom of the IPOD and must be 1x3 inches. How the world has changed!

Oh, and as to the ongoing post here-LONG LIVE THE EARBUDS! I don't make folks listen to my NPR Podcasts, so they shouldn't make me listen to their music either.

I just thought of another reason to not play it on the balcony...hasn't happened to us, but I could see how it could occur...

I'm one of those people who can't stand to hear two different pieces of music at once. The department I most often shop in at our local Nordstrom's doesn't play music, but is inbetween 2 departments that do (and each department plays its own music). That would drive me bonkers if I had to work in that department...it's bad enough just being there for a short time.

I might jump off the balcony if I had to hear 2 types of music at once.:eek:

I have never had this problem but I don`t think I would like someone in the adjacent balcony playing music.

I love to hear the sea when I am on the balcony.

I'm with you. If I wanted to listen to music, I'd bring my own and use headphones.

Most cruise lines permit iPods, etc., but require using earplugs, etc.

Frankly, I'd ask if they'd turn if off..if they didn't, I'd simply make a call.

It is rude to assume those around you want to hear your music....and, even if your next door neighbor doesn't mind, others may or will.

Use headphones or earplugs...that's what they are for.

If I can hear your music on my balcony, you are going to have to enjoy my CDs of Tibetian funeral durges, Gregorian chants, and moose calls.

DON

Or, the entire Carter Family anthology......

Or, "The Three Tenors".....

Or, Edvard Greigs "Piano Concerto in A Minor"....all of it...maybe "Peer Gynt".

Or, "Cowboy Yodel Songs"

Or, "Los Torreadoros de Espana".......

Tell ya what, you use your earbuds and I'll use mine......:D:D

On our Alaskan cruise we had neighbors who had the tv on loud so they could hear it as they sat on the balcony. It definitely ruined my planned afternoon of reading. I didn't know how they'd react if I asked them to turn it down so I stayed in the cabin, but I wasn't happy. We keep our volume down and use earbuds when we're on the balcony to be courteous to others.

I wouldn't want to hear it on the balcony. Ironically, that's never been a problem. I've had 3 occasions where I've had couples park themselves next to me by the POOL with external battery powered speakers for the iPod playing like they were at the beach...at one point with the band playing and the background speakers around the pool playing something else. In each case, I spoke to the folks with the speakers and they were ticked but they turned theirs off. As to Princess, they never could shut off the speakers while the band played. (that's happened twice...on one cruise it played the same song over and over again. No kidding. I joked with the bartender that they were TRYING to make me go insane.).

I recommend Altec Landing for nice dual powered compact travel-worthy iPod speakers.

I still don't see the problem of having it very soft (and trust me it's very soft) on our balcony. If my husband and I want to have a conversation and talk for a long time (where we aren't yelling) are you going to tell me that we have to be quiet? The volume we have it at isn't even that loud.

That's what you get when you get a balcony. You don't get absolute quiet. You have neighbors who should be considerate of you. If they are being out of hand then you have the right to say something or call the purser's desk. The balcony isn't a library.

To the OP, go right ahead. Just be considerate.

(slam away)

I still don't see the problem of having it very soft (and trust me it's very soft) on our balcony. If my husband and I want to have a conversation and talk for a long time (where we aren't yelling) are you going to tell me that we have to be quiet? The volume we have it at isn't even that loud.

That's what you get when you get a balcony. You don't get absolute quiet. You have neighbors who should be considerate of you. If they are being out of hand then you have the right to say something or call the purser's desk. The balcony isn't a library.

(slam away)

My husband and I can talk quietly on our balcony without anyone nearby hearing us. If others are going to play music, we should not have to listen to it (even softly), earphones should be used.

We absolutely love our balcony. But we would give it up, or possibly give up cruising altogether if this kind of behavior becomes common. I never heard of it, can't imagine anyone doing it and would be mortified if we had to deal with a situation like that.

Or' date=' the entire Carter Family anthology......

Or, "The Three Tenors".....

Or, Edvard Greigs "Piano Concerto in A Minor"....all of it...maybe "Peer Gynt".

Or, "Cowboy Yodel Songs"

Or, "Los Torreadoros de Espana".......

Tell ya what, you use your earbuds and I'll use mine......:D:D[/quote']

I have most of the Carter family music on my MP3 player. They are a great group. However, cowboy yodel songs are a different matter.

I have almost 2000 CDs on my MP3 player. One of the great things about having so much music is that I can always find something to annoy you with if I have to.

BTW, there is an external speaker driver out there that you put on any flat surface and it makes the surface a speaker. Wonder what it would do to the adjoining wall of the the offending cabin?

DON

(slam away)

Neither is the balcony an entertainment center.....

Well, you see, that's what we are discussing here. YOUR music is for YOUR enjoyment, not mine. Music is not "having a conversation"......

It's plain rude and I wouldn't put up with it at all....and from some of the other posts here, neither would most.

This all reminds me of growing up near the beaches of California. On a crowded beach you have hundreds of families all staking out their little piece of sand and they all think that they need their own sound systems . Now that was a crazy cocophany of sound:eek: Really, on my balcony all I want to hear is the sound of ocean.

Archived