Diamond Event vs. Diamond Lounge

So, let me get this straight. As a Diamond member, if I sail on a ship WITH a Diamond Lounge, I will continue to receive free wine, champagne, mixed drinks, appetizers, cappuccino, pop, and the services of a readily available concierge. If I sail on a ship WITHOUT a Diamond Lounge, I get a free glass of wine and some trail mix—no complimentary mixed drinks, appetizers, cappuccino, pop, concierge. That bothers me. Diamond members should receive the same benefits, no matter what ship they are on. Am I understanding this correctly?

So, let me get this straight. As a Diamond member, if I sail on a ship WITH a Diamond Lounge, I will continue to receive free wine, champagne, mixed drinks, appetizers, cappuccino, pop, and the services of a readily available concierge. If I sail on a ship WITHOUT a Diamond Lounge, I get a free glass of wine and some trail mix—no complimentary mixed drinks, appetizers, cappuccino, pop, concierge. That bothers me. Diamond members should receive the same benefits, no matter what ship they are on. Am I understanding this correctly?

Yes, and that would be on Freedom, Independence and Liberty as of now.

Very much enjoyed the diamond event on Monarch last week, nice to have that new perk on the ships that never did have a lounge. Also really enjoyed the diamond/Plat party, good selection of hordervers,mixed drinks, wine and champagne.

Hi nicelypub,

Welcome to Cruise Critic!

The Oasis and the Freedom Class ships will have the Diamond Lounge and that includes a lovely room with Concierge service, appetizers and complimentary wine,champagne, beer, soda and mixed cocktails.

The smaller classes of ships that had no Concierge Lounge prior to September 1st are now hosting a nightly Diamond event with free wine/champagne and 25% discount on soda, beer and mixed cocktails. There are conflicting reports of whether you get one complimentary glass of wine/champagne or more.

The real cutbacks to Diamond members happened on the Radiance and Voyager Class ships. Prior to Sept.1st Diamond Members had full access to the Concierge Lounge and Concierge Services. When the small CL was crowded an overflow room was added for Diamond members on those ships. For the most part, with few exceptions, those overflow lounges worked wonderfully. Now those ships will only have the nightly Diamond event with the drastically reduced amenities.

One can only guess, ahem...cough... that this is RCI's way to show its Loyal Diamond Guests how much they care about them when they sail the Radiance and Voyager Class.

Colleen

The glass is half full from my point of view (if you'll pardon my pun :D).

Now, we Diamond and Diamond Plus can look forward to something on every ship, with some ships providing more than others. It's a win-win situation IMO.

I have been on many ships with no nightly complimentary happy hour. My next cruise is on the Rhapsody and she had NOTHING to offer until 9/1, but now has the nightly event.

It's really no different than in the past when D+/suite cruisers had a CL on some ships but not on others. If the D lounge or CL is what is important to you, then choose ships that have that particular amenity.

It's really no different than in the past when D+/suite cruisers had a CL on some ships but not on others. If the D lounge or CL is what is important to you, then choose ships that have that particular amenity.

I agree with you,

"If the D lounge or CL is what is important to you, then choose ships that have that particular amenity."

To us, itinerary is more important than the ship; to limit oneself to particular cruises because of the ships doing those cruises is denying oneself a world of new places to see and would be foolish. We generally tend to figure out where and when we want to go and then look at how to get there (which is not to say that we aren’t influenced by an incredible rate now and then). We are not new to cruising, and through the years we have enjoyed the many amenities offered by the Concierge Lounges, Diamond Lounges, and overflow arrangements, such as on the Enchantment. If I was making a point, and I didn’t think I was (nor was I seeking advice, just clarification), it was simply that Diamond members should be able to expect consistent treatment no matter what ship they are on.

Exactly -

We see different D or D+ treatment (benefits, special event, offerings in the cabin) not only on different ships, but even on different sailings of the same ship. Never been the same twice.

M

Yes you are understanding it correctly. In the past, if you sailed on an RCI ship that had neither a concierge lounge nor a diamond lounge, you received no benefit similar to the Diamond Event even if you were a Diamond, Diamond Plus, or were in a suite, so if the current setup bothers you, you would have had even more reason to be bothered before the recent developments. Life isn't fair, but they seem to have taken some steps to make the changes more equitable for everyone. If access to a Diamond Lounge is that essential you will have to limit your future bookings to the three Freedom class ships and the Oasis and Allure.:)

Yes you are understanding it correctly. In the past, if you sailed on an RCI ship that had neither a concierge lounge nor a diamond lounge, you received no benefit similar to the Diamond Event even if you were a Diamond, Diamond Plus, or were in a suite, so if the current setup bothers you, you would have had even more reason to be bothered before the recent developments. Life isn't fair, but they seem to have taken some steps to make the changes more equitable for everyone. If access to a Diamond Lounge is that essential you will have to limit your future bookings to the three Freedom class ships and the Oasis and Allure.:)

Please see my previous reply. I am totally at a loss as to why readers have concluded that access to a Diamond Lounge is "essential" to me. It isn't. If it were, though, I think it's pretty obvious, and doesn't need to be stated, that I would need to book cruises only on ships that have them.

Nicelypub - my response was more of a "plural" you not specific to you alone . I did not intend to offend.

And you are correct in that the loyalty amenities from ship to ship are not equal. Important to note that they never have been equal.

I've sailed many ships as D member and there was no CL at the time of my sailing (Grandeur, Splendour, Legend)

M

RCCL has gained many faithful's......I think what people are upset is they way they have taken "earned" benefits away. A few drinks to loyal, commited cruisers is a way of saying thanks and not that much of a cost. 25% discount with a 10% gratuity =10%.....slap in the face

To us, itinerary is more important than the ship; to limit oneself to particular cruises because of the ships doing those cruises is denying oneself a world of new places to see and would be foolish. We generally tend to figure out where and when we want to go and then look at how to get there (which is not to say that we aren’t influenced by an incredible rate now and then). We are not new to cruising, and through the years we have enjoyed the many amenities offered by the Concierge Lounges, Diamond Lounges, and overflow arrangements, such as on the Enchantment. If I was making a point, and I didn’t think I was (nor was I seeking advice, just clarification), it was simply that Diamond members should be able to expect consistent treatment no matter what ship they are on.

Absolutely agree what is done on one ship for Diamond members should be done on every ship for Diamond Members.

If Freedom, Independence and Liberty (and Oasis later in the year) are going to run the DL the same as they have been running it prior to the 9/1/09 changes..............then all Diamond events should be run like the DL on Freedom class is run and no different. But we all know that ain't gonna happen.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, RCI does not know the meaning of the word consistency.:(

Absolutely agree what is done on one ship for Diamond members should be done on every ship for Diamond Members.

If Freedom, Independence and Liberty (and Oasis later in the year) are going to run the DL the same as they have been running it prior to the 9/1/09 changes..............then all Diamond events should be run like the DL on Freedom class is run and no different. But we all know that ain't gonna happen.:rolleyes:

Unfortunately, RCI does not know the meaning of the word consistency.:(

I agree. I always thought those Diamond overflow lounges in the Viking Crown/Starquest lounge were a nice alternative to the crowded CL. Too bad they didn't keep it like that on all ships. The food wasn't as great as in the CL but it was still special.

Also, I think it was a good thing for a couple of bartenders and servers on each cruise. It was pretty much a source of built in tips they might not get in a quieter area of the ship that time of day.

Gina

I agree. I always thought those Diamond overflow lounges in the Viking Crown/Starquest lounge were a nice alternative to the crowded CL. Too bad they didn't keep it like that on all ships. The food wasn't as great as in the CL but it was still special.

Also, I think it was a good thing for a couple of bartenders and servers on each cruise. It was pretty much a source of built in tips they might not get in a quieter area of the ship that time of day.

Gina

Especially on Radiance class............the views up there were fantastic and there was so much more room to move around.

Especially on Radiance class............the views up there were fantastic and there was so much more room to move around.

Patti, Do you remember the name of the whistling server in the overflow lounge on Radiance? I didn't take a picture of his name tag or write it down. It's so easy I thought I'd remember.

Gina

Patti, Do you remember the name of the whistling server in the overflow lounge on Radiance? I didn't take a picture of his name tag or write it down. It's so easy I thought I'd remember.

Gina

No, unfortunately I do not and I just asked Jim and he remembers the individual just not his name. He was the bar server in the MDR also and every time he went by our table he would whistle. He also did bird calls as well.

Please see my previous reply. I am totally at a loss as to why readers have concluded that access to a Diamond Lounge is "essential" to me. It isn't. .

It's just that you, and others, keep saying that as D or D+ members, you should get exactly the same benefits on every ship, no matter what, and it comes across as though it's a huge issue for you.

But you find that kind of "inconsistency" all over the place. I'm a Medallion member with Delta. As such I'm supposed to be able to use the first class/medallion check-in line, as well as breezeway boarding at the gate, but you know what? At some airports, they don't have or don't utilize those, so on some flights I don't get to take advantage of those loyalty perks, even though I've "earned" it. I suppose I could get in a huff about it, but it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just happy the times I do get to use those perks. :)

No, unfortunately I do not and I just asked Jim and he remembers the individual just not his name. He was the bar server in the MDR also and every time he went by our table he would whistle. He also did bird calls as well.

For some reason I'm thinking Richard. Something easy like Richard Johnson. But I don't think that's it. Maybe it will come to me in a dream.

Think.....

Gina

It's just that you, and others, keep saying that as D or D+ members, you should get exactly the same benefits on every ship, no matter what, and it comes across as though it's a huge issue for you.

But you find that kind of "inconsistency" all over the place. I'm a Medallion member with Delta. As such I'm supposed to be able to use the first class/medallion check-in line, as well as breezeway boarding at the gate, but you know what? At some airports, they don't have or don't utilize those, so on some flights I don't get to take advantage of those loyalty perks, even though I've "earned" it. I suppose I could get in a huff about it, but it doesn't really matter to me. I'm just happy the times I do get to use those perks. :)

Please don't think you're being "flamed" but if you're going to compare "apples to apples" and using your Delta example, suppose you arrive at ATL and go to use the "medallion" check in. Delta tells you that your "medallion" status no longer allows you to take advantage of preferred check-in. Instead, you are welcome to wait in another line called "less than full medallion check-in" which is shorter than the economy line but much longer than "medallion check-in" line. And if you like, you can purchase a bag of peanuts for 25% less than those in the economy line. If you're still happy, good for you.

Please don't think you're being "flamed" but if you're going to compare "apples to apples" and using your Delta example, suppose you arrive at ATL and go to use the "medallion" check in. Delta tells you that your "medallion" status no longer allows you to take advantage of preferred check-in. Instead, you are welcome to wait in another line called "less than full medallion check-in" which is shorter than the economy line but much longer than "medallion check-in" line. And if you like, you can purchase a bag of peanuts for 25% less than those in the economy line. If you're still happy, good for you.

Well said!!!!!!! As D+ ( all 7 or 10 day cruises) we feel that we've earned the perks. Only started cruiseing in 97 and hve 4 scheduled between Nov.09 and apr.2010.

Archived