Brazil Visa Application process

beege1936

Reading your comments, I have to say that in our experience, going through the Brazilian Consulate in LA is the worst. We are leaving LA 11/22 on Princess and arrive in Rio 12/22/09, so figured we should apply around 9/22 to comply with the 90 day rule. Bad idea!! Previously had contacted 3 different services, and they'd endorsed this timetable. Last week, called them back. Oh, No! The service Princess recommends--not taking any applications for the LA Consulate, until the system improves. Another service said--you'd better do it yourself b/c the LA Consulate has restricted the services to ONE APP per day!!! So, got online for the Consulate, went through steps for application (not the easiest form or website), then printed out the app & got the bar coded page...and then schedule your appointment. Nov 6 was the first available date. Go in person (we are a 4-hour drive from LA) and MUST BE picked up in person TOO, 6- to 10 days later. Cannot be mailed back to us. We knew we needed the visa, we knew it was a little pricey, thought we were organized and planning ahead, and this really was a blow. It appears it is entirely possible that it might not be processed in time. I've read the directions many times, and hope I won't make any mistakes. thanks for any reminders anyone has--like using USPS money order. If it was allowed, sure would have liked to gone thru San Francisco!

Hey, thanks for your kind wishes. Guess I feel better just venting a little. Also, it is really helpful to read of others' experiences. That may keep me from making a mistake or omission. I keep wondering, should I have kept calling Visa Services and maybe found one? If it all comes together on time, I'll get over my troubles.

Greatam,

YF good for 10 years, HOPE you took all the other shots-Hep A/B, Tetanus, etc. etc.

Yes I've taken all of the others some 2 yrs ago for an African Safari. One good thing about that trip it brought me up to date on all my boosters, and vaccines. Also got a flu shot, but looks like no H1N1 as I'm too old.

Also taking along anti malaria Malarone, and Cipro just in case for Montezuma's revenge.

Plus I have my own prescription, at least 1 martini a day to keep the bugs away!

Martini Cruiser

Because I live in Lexington KY, no choice but to go through a visa service.

For me that was $243.00 for the visa service (includes the return espress mail), $9.00 for the photo's, $17.50 for the express mail outbound, and then wait 15 to 20 business days. Sent 9/2 due to be sent back 9/28 or 29th?

Oh ya then $203.00 for the Yellow Fever shot, Brazil ( Silver Cloud Barbados to Manaus) better be PRICELESS!

FED EX just delivered my visa/passport, it took less time than expected!

WPVS did a good job.

Martini cruiser

Wendy, I use a visa service. Either way, Brazil is very strict as they review the applications. So be sure to take your time and to follow all of the directions as you fill out the application. Good luck.

Keith

Thanks Keith, we're all ready, taking the apps over to the consulate tomorrow morning.

We submitted our applications electronically a couple of days ago, and filed the applications today at the consulate. Seemed pretty easy.

We get the visas in a couple of weeks, since we're not in a rush. The couple ahead of us were in a rush, and were shouting and screaming at the desk staff. Their problem was the classic Brazilian one--they are leaving soon on an extended cruise, but don't arrive in Brazil until late December. The window for applying just opened for them, and they only have 10 days before they leave. With sufficient screaming, they got an expedited pickup date!

dshillis-

Wow, now I am starting to hyperventilate. We are on your cruise and our TA was doing the third party paperwork for our visas and just told us the news. Our TA is trying to get info and so is another poster who has contacted Princess...we were to get answers today.

We are in Arizona so need to use LA for our visas. We were planning to drive over and just get it done, but now with your info about appt. times my panic is setting in. All this to get off the ship and fly home. Would appreciate any phone #s or hints since we will have to probably do this ourselves.

If we don't hear anything from TA or Princess by Mon. we will do the requisite internet papers and get the appt. time. Just hope we can get this done.......there have to be others in the same boat on the same boat.

Nancy

Me again.....after typing out all the info for our visas on line (for 3 of us) finally got to the appointment date part and the next available date was DEC.

I guess that leaves out a whole bunch of West Coasters that haven't filed in LA yet.

On to plan B.....maybe getting off in Buenos Aires and changing flts??? Hope we get co-operation from Princess!

Nancy

Me again.....after typing out all the info for our visas on line (for 3 of us) finally got to the appointment date part and the next available date was DEC.

I guess that leaves out a whole bunch of West Coasters that haven't filed in LA yet.

On to plan B.....maybe getting off in Buenos Aires and changing flts??? Hope we get co-operation from Princess!

Nancy

This is one of the reasons we just use a visa service.

I know the con to the service is the cost but we just let them run this all down for us. They go through this routine daily.

Best of luck.

Keith

Almost hate posting this - really, I'm not trying to "rub it in" - but I did the on-line registration about 4:30 AM this morning and when I went to the page for an appointment, there were 3 times open for this Tuesday (9/29). This is for the consul in Houston. Have to go to the post office Monday to get my money order and the return envelope. Got my yellow fever shot yesterday. I've been paranoid about doing everything "right" for the visa application - hope I haven't "messed up"!

The problem with the visas is that the Brazilian embassy in LA will not accept 3rd party (visa service) to apply. Only LA is having this problem and is not giving out appointments even if you get there in person with papers and passport in hand. This is only a problem for the western United States.

Nancy

Cookie - The website for the L.A. consulate says one only needs a personal appointment if one is submitting the application in person, rather than using a visa service. The site lists a lot of visa services. Will none of them take care of this issue for you?? We are using a visa service for the San Francisco office; and our visa application was put into process at the consulate the same day as it was received by the visa service. Maybe you should check with a few more visa services before you make the difficult decision to disembark in B.A., rather than in Rio. Cheers, Fred

I have a question about the pro's and con's of using a visa service. Princess has recommended ZVS. I see their fee is $83 per visa, with potential additional charges likely. Fortunately, we are in the midwest, and will apply through Chicago ---- my best wishes for everyone on the west coast going through Los Angelas!

The process seems pretty straight-forward at the Brazilian consulate site, and their are other hints at the ZVS site.

Our day in Brazil is becoming more expensive, and if others do direct visa applications without difficulty, maybe this is a place to save. On the other hand, I certainly don't want to jepardize any aspect of our trip (we depart 11/22). We live in Mpls, and don't have family or friends in Chicago that could help with direct applications, so we must do mail order.

Any advice from our Cruise Critic knowledgable friends would be much appreciated!

Marcia

My mom is arriving Friday ...she applied for and received her visa through the Chicago consulate without a hitch. She didn´t use a visa service. Whole process (applying /receiving)took around 3 weeks .

She lives in Iowa , btw.

Good luck.

Kim

I have a question about the pro's and con's of using a visa service. Princess has recommended ZVS. I see their fee is $83 per visa, with potential additional charges likely. Fortunately, we are in the midwest, and will apply through Chicago ---- my best wishes for everyone on the west coast going through Los Angelas!

The process seems pretty straight-forward at the Brazilian consulate site, and their are other hints at the ZVS site.

Our day in Brazil is becoming more expensive, and if others do direct visa applications without difficulty, maybe this is a place to save. On the other hand, I certainly don't want to jepardize any aspect of our trip (we depart 11/22). We live in Mpls, and don't have family or friends in Chicago that could help with direct applications, so we must do mail order.

Any advice from our Cruise Critic knowledgable friends would be much appreciated!

Marcia

Marcia, there is no right or wrong on this one. The major drawback for many when it comes to the visa service is the cost. Many want to avoid the cost. Your price actually sounds quite good.

The advantage if you do not live near one of the consulates that takes care of the visa is that by using a visa they will walk this through for you and they provide good instructions on how to fill everything out.

Again, no right or wrong on this one.

Keith

Archived