They are offering online reservations of FlowRider? I see problems with this...

Hi! I was just looking at my reservation and saw this under Tips:

4. Before you cruise, check out all of your options for dining, entertainment, shore and land excursions, surfing lessons, spa treatments and more. Make reservations for your preferred offerings and time slots, either online (at any time up to 4 days before your departure) or onboard the first day. Our most popular attractions, like the FlowRider® lessons, can fill up fast, so it's good to know you've claimed your spot. It's also helpful to know your plans ahead of time - that way you can totally relax during your free time!

I don't see a way to do this for my Freedom cruise so I'm thinking this is for Oasis? I see a huge problem with 5,000 being able to reserve the entertainment stuff online. They are even admitting that you may be unable to use it onboard if you haven't signed up online.... So I guess I'm supposed to know 3 months ahead of time what I feel like doing one afternoon on the ship? This seems like a move towards a more rigid vacation experience and not a good thing.

If this has been covered, forgive me, I haven't seen it. Anyone care to weigh in?

Even if you don't sign up online, you need to get to Flowrider the first day and sign up for your private lesson, because they do fill up very quickly. There was a line on Freedom the first day and I didn't get my first choice of times.

You don't have to sign up if you just want to stand in line and wait your turn during the open sessions.

I was wondering how to reserve in advance. We absolutely know that we want private lesson session for our group of 5 kids. I did find the price out here as $300 for an hour and you can reserve on the ship right near the FR. We wanted to give the kids the suprise as a Christmas gift. I am signing up for this thread, I hope someone can weigh in. Did you call RCI?

I guess for the private lessons it's a good tool. But I don't see this at all for my Freedom cruise in January. Is it just the Oasis doing this? I guess I also feel for people that either don't use the internet or don't know about reserving online. So many people aren't over planners like me!:D But do you think it will end here or will the onboard zipline get sold out online and why not offer rock wall times too? If that is the direction being headed in it takes a lot of spontaneity out of the cruise.

I was wondering how to reserve in advance. We absolutely know that we want private lesson session for our group of 5 kids. I did find the price out here as $300 for an hour and you can reserve on the ship right near the FR. We wanted to give the kids the suprise as a Christmas gift. I am signing up for this thread, I hope someone can weigh in. Did you call RCI?

Why pay $300 when they can just line up and get on as many times as they want ( free) - the staff show you how to do it and kids pick it up very quickly... :)

4. Before you cruise, check out all of your options for dining, entertainment, shore and land excursions, surfing lessons, spa treatments and more. Make reservations for your preferred offerings and time slots, either online (at any time up to 4 days before your departure) or onboard the first day. Our most popular attractions, like the FlowRider® lessons, can fill up fast, so it's good to know you've claimed your spot. It's also helpful to know your plans ahead of time - that way you can totally relax during your free time!

I don't see a way to do this for my Freedom cruise so I'm thinking this is for Oasis? I see a huge problem with 5,000 being able to reserve the entertainment stuff online. They are even admitting that you may be unable to use it onboard if you haven't signed up online.... So I guess I'm supposed to know 3 months ahead of time what I feel like doing one afternoon on the ship? This seems like a move towards a more rigid vacation experience and not a good thing.

If this has been covered, forgive me, I haven't seen it. Anyone care to weigh in?

Well, there has to be some sort of crowd control in place on a ship with over 5000 people on it. I suspect tours and activities aren't going to be the only issue with Oasis.

Personally it doesn't bother me for things with as limited an appeal as private flowrider lessons. If they were making you sign up for your open session timeslot in advance, that would be way over the top, but honestly, how many people decide on a whim to book a $300/hr private lesson? I would imagine that the only people who know this is offered are the preplanners anyway.

I guess for the private lessons it's a good tool. But I don't see this at all for my Freedom cruise in January. Is it just the Oasis doing this? I guess I also feel for people that either don't use the internet or don't know about reserving online. So many people aren't over planners like me!:D But do you think it will end here or will the onboard zipline get sold out online and why not offer rock wall times too? If that is the direction being headed in it takes a lot of spontaneity out of the cruise.

How can anything be "spontaneous" on a vessel with 5000 people onboard and many all wanting to do the same things?

There will be lines for everything I suspect...from the zipline to the carousel and everything in between.

Wonder if they'll have those "cattle lines" like Disney has at their parks...where one is herded through a maze.

It seems expensive, but there is a store here in Miami that has a Flowrider, and private lessons there are $300. Same as onboard. Then again this store offers an entire hour, how long is the lesson onboard?

http://www.adrenalinastore.com/content.cfm?section=flowriderdeals&CFID=1314807&CFTOKEN=95141777

I plan on taking lessons secretly here in Miami to surprise my wife..."HEY look I'm a Flowrider natural" :D

More importantly, are jean shorts allowed on it? :eek:

• Administrators

You can certainly book a totally private Flowrider lesson for $300.

HOWEVER, for $60 bucks you can join a private lesson -- with up to 7 others participating. (they may have changed the price/# of participants, but the concept of a small group lesson is what I'm talking about here.

I always try to see if we can find other Cruise Critic members on our roll call to "share" the cost of the $300 lesson. Four sharing the $300 works well...you really get lots of rides.

The Oasis will have 2 Flowriders so, theoretically, the crowds should be smaller than on Freedom Class.

As for reservations, I believe that a certain percentage of reservations are held for on-board sign-ups. They do this for specialty dining and excursions, so I assume they will also do it for these activities.

Also, the private lessons tend to be during the slowest hours....like mornings and port calls.

It seems expensive, but there is a store here in Miami that has a Flowrider, and private lessons there are $300. Same as onboard. Then again this store offers an entire hour, how long is the lesson onboard?

I would guess that an hour lasts about 60 minutes whether it is in a store or on a ship.:D

How can anything be "spontaneous" on a vessel with 5000 people onboard and many all wanting to do the same things?

There will be lines for everything I suspect...from the zipline to the carousel and everything in between.

Wonder if they'll have those "cattle lines" like Disney has at their parks...where one is herded through a maze.

Well we're actually in agreement on something G'ma!!:eek: I wouldn't cruise Oasis but don't begrudge anyone that would. I just don't want to be onboard with so many people and I agree that the special things to do onboard are going to have outrageous waits. I'm also not a fan of only having a few included dining fare venues or at least more pay than non-pay. The issue I have with that is it tends to be the long-term plan of the company to degrade the quality and service in the included venues to push people towards paying.

But that's all neither here nor there. I was talking about the Freedom of the Seas actually. It says it's available in the tips section but I don't see it anywhere to actually book. I was wondering if the spa is bookable ahead of time, too, but I don't see that option either...

The Oasis will have 2 Flowriders so, theoretically, the crowds should be smaller than on Freedom Class.

As for reservations, I believe that a certain percentage of reservations are held for on-board sign-ups. They do this for specialty dining and excursions, so I assume they will also do it for these activities.

Also, the private lessons tend to be during the slowest hours....like mornings and port calls.

That's good that Oasis will have two to cut back on lines. When you mentioned the ship holding some reservations for onboard sign-up - that's the thing I'm worried about. They say they do, but I know of people that went as soon as they got on the ship and were told it was sold out online. Plus, they kind of make a disclaimer by saying that here:

It's also good to know that some of our ships have Specialty Restaurants and Dining Experiences. Whether you're looking for fine Italian food, world-class steaks, a cozy setting or an evening of fun and intrigue, we highly recommend you reserve seating online so you don't miss out these exciting offerings. (A nominal fee applies.)

and here:

Reserve early so you won't miss out on any of the fun.

I think it's subtle but suggests (to me) that if you don't reserve early (ie: online) you may lose out. And that seems to be what has happened recently on Freedom from some posts I've read. I hope not, but looks like it may be a trend...

How/where do you make this reservation?

I signed up for my Oasis cruise by going to vacation summary, then under the sport and spa heading, there was a link to add flowrider lessons. I really like the fact that they decided to allow reservations for these lessons in advance. I did private lessons on the Liberty, and space filled up very quickly.

How/where do you make this reservation?

Archived