Halp, My HAL rep says HAL Glacier bay is starboard

Sailkeywest

OK, so I call my HAL rep today to get my starboard aft suite changed to port aft because Hubby and I would like to do the majority of our Glacier Bay viewing from our suite. We are from Florida and I have a feeling that September in Alaska is going to be VERY COLD to us, and in the event that it is raining that day, I would like the convenience of running in and out of our cabin.

I have read by and large that it doesn't matter whether you are Starboard or Port for the Inside Passage (TY BUDGETQUEEN), so the only thing tipping one side or the other in favor is the Glacier Bay viewing. Well, my HAL rep is trying to tell me that HAL enters glacier bay on the starboard side and goes around counterclockwise around the bay, which would give starboard the most viewing. This would be a first, IMO, because I have LITERALLY READ HUNDREDS OF Glacier Bay reviews and NOT ONE OF THEM talks about going around glacier bay on the starboard side.

Please help me settle this so I can edumacate my HAL rep?

Both sides of the ship will easily see the shore/mountains while in Glacier Bay National Park. When 'parked' in front of a glacier the Captain will rotate the ship so both sides have an opportunity to view. I can't say that the time will be equally divided between the sides, no way to tell if a BIG calving will occur while other side is facing the glacier. This is why we are out and about while in the park (and haven't used our verandahs we've had on tow of our Alaskan sailings).

Is your HAL rep in the North Dakota call center? They may never have even been on a cruise ship.

Why?I cannot believe that you will stay in your cabin to look at the glacier. It is so pretty and the air feels cleaner too. There are shields on the upper deck that you can stand behind ,out of the wind.That is a long way to go to look thru a window at a Glacier. I could not percieve the Tru-blu color thru the glass. MY .$.02 cents worth. JY.

Both sides of the ship will easily see the shore/mountains while in Glacier Bay National Park. When 'parked' in front of a glacier the Captain will rotate the ship so both sides have an opportunity to view. I can't say that the time will be equally divided between the sides, no way to tell if a BIG calving will occur while other side is facing the glacier. This is why we are out and about while in the park (and haven't used our verandahs we've had on tow of our Alaskan sailings).

Is your HAL rep in the North Dakota call center? They may never have even been on a cruise ship.

Mary Ellen is 100% correct!! We have done Starboards on both our Alaska cruises and both post and starboard get equal time. The only ones, IMO who get better viewing would be people standing on the forecastle, the Lido deck, they can run side to side, the Crow's Nest and the Sports Deck.

I have beautiful photos of panoramic views thanks to the Captain doing the counter clockwise rotation. All of my photos were taken from my verandah where I was relaxing with my hot chocolate from Room Service.

Joanie

I wouldn't obsess about this. Our TA suggested a starboard cabin. We didn't know any better, so we took her word for it. I don't know if starboard was better than port, but we ALWAYS had beautiful scenery. When we were viewing glaciers, my husband went up top while I stayed in the suite and on the verandah. Yes, I was cold. :-) He quickly came back and told me that I HAD to go up top with him because the experience was so much better. So I did, and it was! I was fascinated and couldn't tear myself away. But even if I had stayed on the verandah, the scenery was exquisite. We never had a single bad view from our starboard cabin, and when we go back to Alaska, we'll probably try to get the same cabin on the same ship. :-)

Joan

SAILKEYWEST:

If you are from Florida, any day in Glacier Bay is going to be cold. I have been cold in there in June and July. The Captain does turn the ship around at the Majorie Glacier and so you can see it calf from either side. However, Calving can be tricky. Sometimes it calves a lot and some times the is no calving. Nature is unpredictable.

We Flordians viewed Glacier Bay from the forward facing deck on the bow. I brought along an insulated cup of coffee and had on layered clothes with gloves and a hat. They serve a tradtional pea soup to you also. It is great from the top deck also if it is not windy. It really is worth getting out there even just for the pure air!

We just returned from the Statendam and the ship was positioned so that the best viewing of the glacier was on the port side.

The captain did turn around as we were leaving and began to move almost immediately it seemed.

We just did a Ryndam cruise to Alaska in May. The captain does rotate the ship, but I believe that most of our photos were taken from the Port side. We are from southern California and I too was concerned about the cold. I wore a turtleneck, sweater and a raincoat with a lining and I was fine. If fact later in the day, I was out on deck with just my sweater. Since he faces between the Margerie and the Grand Pacific Glacier, most of the people were out on the bow of the ship. At the John Hopkins, the Captain had the bow pointed to the Glacier so I imagine anyone in the cabins on either side could see equally well.

I've been in Glacier Bay a few times, and at the Margerie Glacier it was mainly port side viewing. This is the glacier where most of the time is spent, and is the most active for calving. The captain DID rotate the ship for the starboard side to view the Margerie, but it was BRIEF. You get beautiful views from both sides of the ship of the whole of Glacier Bay, but for the best glacier viewing, we found port side to be best.

If you decide to view from public decks, there are LOTS of places where you can run in and warm up for a minute or two.

We visited Glacier Bay on the Zuiderdam and we went counterclockwise so overall the starboard side got the better (and closer) views. I think it largely depends on the prevailing weather conditions and ultimately it's the Captain's decision and/or preference. We were very lucky and the Captain also opened the bow area at the front of the ship for some spectacular views but we were blessed with exceptionally warm, sunny weather with glassy flat seas so I don't think this is always an option. If you venture up onto Deck 9 and 10 you should get a great view (and some warming mugs of special Dutch coffee!).

Wow, thank you all for all of the great responses! -- and from a lot of different viewpoints, so to speak. :P So, I guess it is all just a crap shoot, I will roll the dice and see if my number comes up. ;)

I want to keep my starboard aft cabin/suite, because I am holding out for the glimmer of hope that we will be able to see more mountains/bears/'Oh My' from that side, but I think this is all just in my 'Alaskan Dream World' that I have created. (feel free to tell me all about the non-differences of starboard/port for inside passage ;) )

I guess I will just have to change out of my pajamas that day and get up on deck. ;)

If I were you I would pick the starboard side. It really does not matter since to view the Margerie Glacier the ship will pivit to make sure that both side of the ship get a good view of the glacier. That being said. The ships normally go up to the Grand Pacific Glacier first and that is a starboard side passing, then on to the Margerie. After the Margerie (and depending on the time of year) they may enter the Johns Hopkins Inlet. Starboard side gets a better shot at the Johns Hopkins and the Lamplugh Glaciers. Either way you will have a great cruise.

We're from South Florida, & last year was our first Alaskan trip..Yes, it was cold, but we wore layers with hat's, scarves & gloves..

Agree with the others, please don't stay in your cabin when viewing the glaciers...We viewed Hubbard Glacier outside & also from the bow ...Just hearing the noise when the glacier is calving is awesome..

Betty

I have been to Alaska several times, have never been cold except when visiting a glacier. Some ships provide blankets to viewers on the top deck. We stay on our verandah and have never been unhappy with the view.

It also depends on the ice conditions near the glacier. Sometimes the approach through the ice is easier if the ship sticks to the west side of the bay, other days the eastern side. Sticking west will give portside probably more time facing the glacier, east should give more to starboard. But it also depends on the captain and his preferences.

My preference: stick to the east side, then approach the glacier. This gives you a great view of the glacier coming down the mountain, before you get too close and can only really see the face of it.

I have cruised Glacier Bay many times, PORT side is the side that not only that sees Margerie first it also is the side with all the commentary, since this is done on the way IN and not on the way out. Generally you see at least 4 glaciers and the Lamplugh is only port, again, on the way in, with Reid, also port, on the way in- including commentary and the brief pause/stop.

In Glacier Bay, I have seen bears in early season, you are NOT likely to see any later as they are not lower. You absolutely need at least 10 power binoculars. You are NOT at all likely to see any bears while cruising elsewhere. You are no where near close enough to shorelines, and again, bears are not low after early season.

I spend most of my sailing time on deck, and always have excellent marine sightings. BUT I know the areas. The ship naturalist is invaluable, talk to them and get friendly. :)

JUst back from a Starboard side suite on the Volendam. I think viewing the glaciers it did not matter (we stayed in our suite most of the time and had fantastic views.

However, whale watching was definately better on the port side for some reason. This was on glacier bay and other days as well.

DaveOKC

Has anyone tried a room in the back of the ship?
For most ships, most of the time at a glacier is spent with the best view between the 10 o'clock and 2 o'clock positions. If you were in a stern port corner suite you could probably see the glacier from the side part of the verandah, but it would not be the best view. If you were in a stern-center cabin you would get a short glimpse as the ship was rotating or departing.

Now, for going in and leaving Glacier Bay the view from a stern-center cabin would be good, if you don't mind seeing where you've been rather than where you're going! I don't. :D

Archived