RCCI Charging extra $ for meals in Main Dining Room ?

A friend of mine returned a week ago from a RCCI Mediterranean Cruise. They only ate in the Main Dining Room the whole cruise. They stated that RCCI added a charge to the Main Dining room for anyone ordering Steak and/or Lobster.

When did RCCI start charging extra $ for Main Dining Room meals ?:mad: My friends also commented that the food choices and portions had been significantly scaled back in relation to a similar cruise they took a year ago.

My understanding is that you can order a 'Chops' steak at a supplement. Regular MDR steak is not charged. That was the case during our last cruise.

I mentioned that to my friends and they did confirm that you could order a "CHOPS" Steak any evening for an extra charge. However they stated that on the night that would traditionally be the Filet & Lobster Dinner there was an extra $ charge for anyone wanting to order it.

There is a steak option that is no charge. If memory serves me correctly, it's a sirloin cut of beef. It was ordered a few times by other guests at our table and it was a small but decent cut of beef. No one complained about it the way CC members use to complain about the old ranch steak RCI use to serve.

There is a steak option that is no charge. If memory serves me correctly, it's a sirloin cut of beef. It was ordered a few times by other guests at our table and it was a small but decent cut of beef. No one complained about it the way CC members use to complain about the old ranch steak RCI use to serve.

The steak option which is available every night is o.k., but not the greatest. The prime rib cuts on the main menu, however, are excellent.

Is everyone here having the same conversation? lol The thing I'm taking away from the OP that IS suprising is that you have to pay for lobster and filet! That's ridiculous - honestly, if that is the way cruises are headed, with you having to suddenly pay more for things that were always included I probably won't cruise anymore. It just wouldn't be a great value - I'd rather spend my vacation dollars on a land vacation seeing countries and places I haven't yet that can't be accessed by cruising so much. I just get tired of the nickel and diming, honestly - not so much the little things, but when they start to systematically and quite honestly deliberately introduce fees for things that would normally be included (MDR steak) and wait for us to not put up a fight before they introduce the next thing (lobster and filet) it's just a little slimy for me, personally.

Is everyone here having the same conversation? lol The thing I'm taking away from the OP that IS suprising is that you have to pay for lobster and filet! That's ridiculous - honestly, if that is the way cruises are headed, with you having to suddenly pay more for things that were always included I probably won't cruise anymore. It just wouldn't be a great value - I'd rather spend my vacation dollars on a land vacation seeing countries and places I haven't yet that can't be accessed by cruising so much. I just get tired of the nickel and diming, honestly - not so much the little things, but when they start to systematically and quite honestly deliberately introduce fees for things that would normally be included (MDR steak) and wait for us to not put up a fight before they introduce the next thing (lobster and filet) it's just a little slimy for me, personally.

The 'chops' steak is an extra that you can order IF YOU WANT TO. There is still a steak on the MDR menu every night that you can order at no extra cost, same as always.

RC have provided an extra option for guests, yes they are charging for it, but it is completely up to you if you want it and it is not a replacement for an item they have removed.

;)

A friend of mine returned a week ago from a RCCI Mediterranean Cruise. They only ate in the Main Dining Room the whole cruise. They stated that RCCI added a charge to the Main Dining room for anyone ordering Steak and/or Lobster.

When did RCCI start charging extra $ for Main Dining Room meals ?:mad: My friends also commented that the food choices and portions had been significantly scaled back in relation to a similar cruise they took a year ago.

First off - the steak. As mentioned in this thread, the steak is a Chops Grille option only. It is an opportunity to purchase a specialty restaurant cut of steak while in the main dining room. Some have a hard time understand the concept....but realize, it is an option. the usual MDR beef dishes do not come with a charge.

Second - the lobster. On my Med. cruise, lobster was not served. I was told by the head waiter that is was a combination of supply and lack of interest by Europeans. It would not surprise me if a lobster was added to the Med. menu at an extra cost. However, this is the first I've heard anything remotely close to it. Remember, this is a "I heard from, who heard from..." story.

The 'chops' steak is an extra that you can order IF YOU WANT TO. There is still a steak on the MDR menu every night that you can order at no extra cost, same as always.

RC have provided an extra option for guests, yes they are charging for it, but it is completely up to you if you want it and it is not a replacement for an item they have removed.

;)

Did you address the lobster in here? That's why I said no one is having the same conversation. From what I understand, as well, the steak they call the 'chops' steak is not prime, in other words - it is not the steak they serve at chops, but a lesser version. So if they decided to charge for lobster tail, one of the pasta choices on the menu, one of the chicken choices and shrimp cocktail would you say they are offering you choices?? So if they decided to add 5 new menu items that haven't been on the menu before, you would find the much welcomed change subject to a fee because its a new option? Just because I'm not being forced to order something doesn't mean its acceptable to now put an added fee onto it. If they decide to offer cherries jubilee one night and it isn't normally on the menu do you think its okay to add a fee to it because it is an option? I guess I just don't get the logic.

Maybe I'm a little dense (and very probably close to senile) but I just can't understand the righteous indignation and rage regarding the 'Chops' steak on the menu.

Unless I am mistaken this is an 'extra', i.e. a benefit that RCI is presenting to the MDR diners and yet it seems that some people would be much happier if it wasn't available. :confused:

Maybe I'm a little dense (and very probably close to senile) but I just can't understand the righteous indignation and rage regarding the 'Chops' steak on the menu.

Unless I am mistaken this is an 'extra', i.e. a benefit that RCI is presenting to the MDR diners and yet it seems that some people would be much happier if it wasn't available. :confused:

Many people were/are concerned that its a slippery slope, and charging for a 'premium' steak is just the beginning.

And I agree. And further, if they ARE indeed now offering Lobster for an extra charge, those concerns were indeed correct.

Of course it remains to be confirmed that they have added the lobster to the pay menu but this is exactly the way it happened with the steak.

Unless things have changed since we were on the Jewel Transatlantic in September, there is no charge for the "lobster" that is served in the main dining room as part of the fisherman's platter. I'm thinking that the fact that this was reported as happening on a Mediterranean cruise may explain it and unless this move proved to be wildly popular, it doesn't seem likely that they will incorporate it on cruises from US ports. I don't think that anyone familiar with real Maine lobster would equate it with the warm water crustacean that is usually served on most cruise ships' menus.:rolleyes: The extra charge for the "Chops" steak has been in place for quite some time now so that is not news and the last time we cruised I found that the regular alternative steak on the menu (no charge) was actually very good, which was not my experience in the past. If I want an excellent steak, however, I will pay for the total dining experience offered in Chops.:)

We will be on the Jewel again in a week's time and if I find that an extra charge for lobster has been added to the MDR menu, I will report that fact.

Unless things have changed since we were on the Jewel Transatlantic in September, there is no charge for the "lobster" that is served in the main dining room as part of the fisherman's platter. I'm thinking that the fact that this was reported as happening on a Mediterranean cruise may explain it and unless this move proved to be wildly popular, it doesn't seem likely that they will incorporate it on cruises from US ports. I don't think that anyone familiar with real Maine lobster would equate it with the warm water crustacean that is usually served on most cruise ships' menus.:rolleyes: The extra charge for the "Chops" steak has been in place for quite some time now so that is not news and the last time we cruised I found that the regular alternative steak on the menu (no charge) was actually very good, which was not my experience in the past. If I want an excellent steak, however, I will pay for the total dining experience offered in Chops.:)

We will be on the Jewel again in a week's time and if I find that an extra charge for lobster has been added to the MDR menu, I will report that fact.

As was done with the steak, wasn't it 'tested' on a few ships first, before it became widespread? I think that is correct and if so, the jewel may not have the same menu as 'test' ships'.

It would be helpful if someone was going on the same ship as the OP. And perhaps the charge is for a 'real' Maine lobster. If so, it is the same as the steak, you can settle for the inferior product on the menu, or opt for the real thing for a charge. Just more options right? Ummm yeah.

Just speculating.

I can't exactly say what's going on in the Mediterranean, but I can tell you what was taking place on the Enchantment last week.

Dinner menus were very much as normal. There was even a lesser fillet on the menu one night (although it wasn't lobster night). One could also pay $14.95 and receive the same 10 oz. fillet served in Chops--in fact, it may even have come from the Chops kitchen. We had one table-mate who ordered it in the MDR after having it in Chops--he was as happy with it the second night as he was when dining in the restaurant. There is also no question he was happy that night to have the opportunity to have the fillet without the attendant commitment of time that dining in Chops requires.

If someone chose to order lobster with that fillet, they would be charged--but not for the lobster. Lobster was free and plenteous at our table.

As others have said, the sirloin was always available for free and the (free) prime rib was excellent--one of the better entrees IM not-so-HO.

As was done with the steak, wasn't it 'tested' on a few ships first, before it became widespread? I think that is correct and if so, the jewel may not have the same menu as 'test' ships'.

It would be helpful if someone was going on the same ship as the OP. And perhaps the charge is for a 'real' Maine lobster. If so, it is the same as the steak, you can settle for the inferior product on the menu, or opt for the real thing for a charge. Just more options right? Ummm yeah.

Just speculating.

If it is a 'test', the simple solution is to convince enough people not to order it. If the refusal to pay this extra charge is widespread, they will have to change their thinking, or convince passengers that the lobster is worth the extra charge. To my way of thinking, the lobster that most lines serve is not worth an extra charge to anyone familiar with the lobster served in most New England restaurants.:)

Many people were/are concerned that its a slippery slope, and charging for a 'premium' steak is just the beginning.

And I agree. And further, if they ARE indeed now offering Lobster for an extra charge, those concerns were indeed correct.

Of course it remains to be confirmed that they have added the lobster to the pay menu but this is exactly the way it happened with the steak.

I am afraid I don't understand your 'slippery slope' reasoning. The special steak was never offered on the menu for free previously so when it was added (or tested) it was an added special which was then charged for. And it appears the charge for lobster has not been confirmed .

And as is evidenced the lobster has not been removed or is being charged for from the regular menu so to say that RCI is going to remove it and start to charge for it is pure speculation.

I agree (with the steak comment; not that you're dense). ;)

The specialty restaurants are minimum 2 hours at a cost of $20-$25 per person, and the venues are adults only (after 7:30). For the life of me, I just can not understand the whining and moaning about offering one of the dishes in the MDR. This option allow families eating later to order the 10oz Chops filet, or for one person in a party to order if the whole party doesn't want to go to Chops. It's a great concept. It amazes me that conspiracy theories would be created over this.

As for the lobster thing.....doesn't this sound an awful lot like the "no more lobster" rumor started here about a year ago? :rolleyes::rolleyes:

We were on a 12 day in March. Lobster was only offered once and my DH had 2.

We did not pay any extra for it. If memory serves me correct, there was one or two nights with steak on the menu for no extra charge.

I am afraid I don't understand your 'slippery slope' reasoning. The special steak was never offered on the menu for free previously so when it was added (or tested) it was an added special which was then charged for. And it appears the charge for lobster has not been confirmed .

And as is evidenced the lobster has not been removed or is being charged for from the regular menu so to say that RCI is going to remove it and start to charge for it is pure speculation.

Ahhh, but I didn't say they would remove the lobster that is now being offered, and indeed they did not with the steak either. You can still get the same inferior cut and grade of steak that you always could. And I suspect that (if this lobster thing IS true) you would still be able to get the 'inferior' lobster they presently serve, but would add a 'true' Maine lobster as an extra charge.

What I meant by a slippery slope was the fact that they have started to charge for items in the main dining room. And if what has been reported about lobster IS true, then they are adding to the list of items you can pay for. Soon it will be your choice to eat inferior stuff for free, or pay for the good stuff.

But again, its still speculation at this point, (except for the steak part of course). Just thinking out loud really.

Archived