Bar Mitzvah on board

Manatee Mom

I'm hoping we can find a lounge singer who can sing Hava Nagila so we can life our son in a chair. Either way, it will be a blast. Hope her family had a great time.

Given the fact that in life today, lawyers write the rules, they will probably make everyone who is lifted in the chair wear a chair belt (think seat belt). This is also probably somewhere in cruise rules or in the cruise contract a minimum required chair lifting ceiling height.

Seriously, although I am a reform Jew, I would personally consider Bar or Bat Mitzvah on board a ship sacrilegious. It is to me perfectly acceptable to have the religious part of the ceremony in your home or in a outdoor area somewhere if you do not want to have it in a synagogue but I would not participate in a Bar Mitzvah on board a ship.

If you feel it necessary to have the ship as part of the Bar Mitzvah, have the ceremony elsewhere and then have the party on board the ship.

Just my opinion.

DON

hello,

if you need help with a minyan, my wife and i will gladly participate. It will cost you just the airfare and an inside cabin for two. As i try to be a macher and get my wife a balcony, to help you this time with the minyan we'll take an inside.

My wife will also help with the oneg.

lol:):):):)

Technically by Jewish law when a boy turns 13 he is a Bar Mitzvah.

I am not Jewish and would like to know. So the boy can then join the men in the services and is counted as a man to make up the required number? Traditionally, this moment is celebrated with a ceremony in which the boy proves that he can read the scripture and behave in the temple as a man is supposed to? It doesn't have to be in the temple, it can be at any worthy location? And the over-the-top parties are just a modern addition?

Given the fact that in life today, lawyers write the rules, they will probably make everyone who is lifted in the chair wear a chair belt (think seat belt). This is also probably somewhere in cruise rules or in the cruise contract a minimum required chair lifting ceiling height.

Seriously, although I am a reform Jew, I would personally consider Bar or Bat Mitzvah on board a ship sacrilegious. It is to me perfectly acceptable to have the religious part of the ceremony in your home or in a outdoor area somewhere if you do not want to have it in a synagogue but I would not participate in a Bar Mitzvah on board a ship.

If you feel it necessary to have the ship as part of the Bar Mitzvah, have the ceremony elsewhere and then have the party on board the ship.

Just my opinion.

DON

I remember about some 16 years ago, the son of one of my hubby's childhood friends had his bar mitzvah at their shul (orthodox temple). The party was at a reform temple (the one my family belonged to when I was a kid). Among the entertainment was an appearance by the Laker girls.