Thank you, Cruise Critic members

Crzn-Life

We were on the Island Princess 11/20 cruise. Even though the ship was overbooked, it was a wonderful cruise. One never felt crowded and the pax traffic flow was really good. One of the reasons we love the Coral and Island so much is the passenger-friendly design. It is too bad that (Princess/Carnival Corporation) don’t plan on ever building any more ships like this. The pax-crew-space ratio is really good. However, we digress.

We’ve been on 41 Princess cruises and this was one of the best in terms of service and overall ambiance. We were wondering why we felt this cruise was so special. We were comparing it to other cruises such as a 48 day cruise on the original Royal, a 24 day cruise on the Pacific, 30 day cruise on the Sapphire, the inaugural cruise on the Coral, etc. We’ve felt that the overall quality of food and service has been on the decline on Princess so we couldn’t figure out why this cruise was so special. So after thinking long and hard, here’s what we came up with:

1. We didn’t go with Personal Choice dining as we have since it was first instituted and instead went back to traditional. We chose 2nd seating and on this ship it was at 7:45 so it was a perfect time. We had a great table location and the same wonderful waiters every evening with absolutely no hassle with trying to get a table for two at the time we wanted as we’ve had in the past with personal choice. If only the entire Princess line would go to the same time (i.e. 7:45 p.m.) for 2nd seating, it would be great! Do any of you old time cruisers remember when what is now the 2nd seating used to be the main seating? And… it was at 7:30 or 7:45 and the early seating was not considered the MAIN seating?

2. We also had the best head waiter, Pietro that we’ve had in a long time. He was always suggesting different dishes and making us special pasta dishes. Plus his attitude about special orders was just fabulous. Just like the OLD DAYS!!!!!

3. Actually the overall attitude of everyone in the food section was absolutely positive from the extremely personable head chef, Loreto Bembo, to the wonderfully wacky maître d’hotel Mario Propato. It’s been a while since we’ve had such wonderful service and felt that the dining room crew was really in sync.

4. The layout of the Island and Coral are very passenger friendly. So much less congested than the big ships like the Emerald and Ruby when fully booked. That made for a much more pleasant cruise, even though there were a lot of 1st timers on this cruise. The number of blue key cards was amazing.

5. We aren’t fans of Sabatini’s since we have always resented the additional charge to get what we felt was the same service and food quality that used to be standard in the MDR. We mention this because we also had never tried to sign up for the Chef’s Table or the Ultimate Ship Tour. We figured they were just other ways for Carnival Corp to get more money from us. HOWEVER… Thanks to the reviews of the Chef’s Table on Cruise Critic, we decided to give it a try… Oh my gosh!…why did we wait so long. It was a great experience, the food was great and it was worth every extra penny spent! We’re booked on our next cruise in February and the 1st thing we’re going to do is try to get reservations for the Chef’s Table.

6. Same for the Ultimate Ship Tour. Because of the reviews on Cruise Critic we signed up for this too. It was really worthwhile. We’ve been attending the Most Travelled luncheons and cocktail parties for years and we’ve learned a lot about the ship and service from the staff at these functions. However, the Ultimate Ship Tour was a real eye-opener. We learned so much. Also when you factor in how many little extras they give you, the price isn’t bad at all. We have a lot of pictures and we’re really wondering how someone who has flown to the ship could manage to add the deluxe robe and chef jacket to their suitcases without incurring overweight baggage charges from the airlines! Thank goodness we were driving home! We probably won't go on another one, but it was definitely worth the price.

7. I am a coffee nut. I prefer to bring my French Press, grinder and fresh coffee beans with me. Thanks to a thread on Cruise Critic a couple of years ago, I was able to find and buy the perfect hot pot to go along with my coffee paraphernalia. So I have the perfect latte every a.m. on the balcony.

8. We also first learned of the Shareholder’s benefits on Cruise Critic. Thanks. Those extra on-board credits come in handy!

So the point of all this is: we’ve been cruising on Princess several years and love it, especially the perks of being elite. However, after finding Cruise Critic a couple of years ago we discovered that there was a lot to learn. We’ve always loved cruising which is why we do so much of it, i.e. 41 cruises on Princess and 25+ on Cunard plus some on RCCL, Celebrity and Commodore. Cruising has changed, the passenger demographics have definitely changed, but it is still a wonderful experience.

Thanks to all of those who share information and the cruising experience. No matter the age or number of cruises, there is always more to learn and see.

What an uplifting report back! So glad you tried the additional services you thought you wouldn't enjoy. We felt that way about MUTS and The Sanctuary until we tried both and loved them.

I have to agree about the waitstaff on the Coral in Traditional Dining. They are superb!! None of us will ever forget our waiters, Tiger and Hamm.

Thank you so very much for the info on the Island Princess. We will be sailing on her in March and after reading your review am really excited!! One question, did you eat at the Horizon Court and how was the food?

We didn't eat in the buffet, but I went up there everyday to get milk in the a.m. and tea in the afternoon. The food really looked good. Also there were a lot of positive comments from pax who did eat there.

The one thing I saw one morning was deep fried boiled egg! I've never seen them before and even tho' I don't eat breakfast, I was almost tempted to give them a try!!!

We did meet one of the head waiters from the Horizon Court and he was just fabulous. He also turned out to have a beautiful voice and sang at the Culinary demonstration.

Absolutely do no miss the Culinary demonstration. It is unlike any we've seen in the past. It was so silly it was an absolute delight!!!

Thanks for your comments on the Island. We were on the Coral earlier this year and loved the layout of the ship and the service we received.

When we were on the Ruby on Nov. 22, we passed your ship in the middle of the Caribbean, north of Aruba.

Thanks again.

David

Dear Cruzn,

I was on the same Nov. 20 Island Princess cruise, and although I and our traveling companions have only cruised Princess ten times each, we all felt that the crew overall was the best we have experienced on Princess. So much so that we completed a handful of those You Make a Difference cards at the end of the cruise. We did Anytime Dining and the service was mostly good, although since the Island only has one Anytime Dining room, lines were common so we ate a little earlier to avoid them. We missed the International Cafe' on the larger ships, but the guys working at the La Patisserie were absolutely wonderful. And I hope you attended some of the evening Elite cocktail hours-the "chef" Mike was a delight and made us feel special!

We have also cruised on the Coral and really loved her as well-I think the size and layout is just wonderful. We met all kinds of great foks at the Cruise Critic Meet & Greet and enjoyed all of their company of various private tours and seeing them on the ship out and about. We love the wonderful promenade deck on these vessels and wish the larger ships had these nice, wide decks (with no stairs). We walked every day and just loved it.

One of our only minor (and I do mean minor) complaints was that the temperature of the ship always seemed to be warm. Perhaps it was the outside temperature, but we certainly didn't need our pashminas!

Our next cruise is on the Ocean-we have never tried Princess small ships and just can't wait!

What an uplifting report back! So glad you tried the additional services you thought you wouldn't enjoy. We felt that way about MUTS and The Sanctuary until we tried both and loved them.

I have to agree about the waitstaff on the Coral in Traditional Dining. They are superb!! None of us will ever forget our waiters, Tiger and Hamm.

We had a Tiger on the Sun Princess in Feb. I wonder if it is the same Tiger. Our Tiger is the one on the left.

Vanuatuandnewcaledoniasunprinces-8.jpg

I, too, was on this sailing and echo the above comments. The crew on the Island is the friendliest I've ever seen on a cruise ship - ever. My wife and I are quiet and don't interact much on cruises (we try to get away as much as possible and keep to ourselves ... I digress) and often we are bombarded with annoying crewmembers. Not here - a polite question and even politier goodbye was always waiting for us.

Also, they do not push ANYTHING on this ship hard - ie art, drinks, etc. It was so incredibly refreshing not to be drilled each day with repeated pushes for something. Even on the CP it was a lot, but not on the Island.

I'll post a full review in a week or so, but the Island is great. I hated my bed (most uncomfortable I've ever slept on) and missed the couches HAL has - and lets not forget the Island and Coral have the smallest showers afloat imo - but it didn't matter. I'd book this cruise every day of my life if I was able.

Crzn-Life, Can you please tell me what "shareholders' benefits" are. I've never heard of them before your post. Thanks.

If you purchase 100 shares (or more) of Carnival Stock, before each Princess cruise you email/fax proof of ownership and then depending on the length of the cruise, get an on board credit. The credit ranges from $50-$150 per cabin - again depending on the number of days. We bought stock when it was very low and over the years have "earned" over $1000 in on board credits. It's a good deal IF you cruise often and IF you want to own stock.

Why don't you email Princess with your review. The staff will really appreciate it. The Island and the Ruby have the best reputation and scores of all Princess ships. Mario Propato and Pietro Belfiore are both excellent at what they do. :)

If you purchase 100 shares (or more) of Carnival Stock, before each Princess cruise you email/fax proof of ownership and then depending on the length of the cruise, get an on board credit. The credit ranges from $50-$150 per cabin - again depending on the number of days. We bought stock when it was very low and over the years have "earned" over $1000 in on board credits. It's a good deal IF you cruise often and IF you want to own stock.

1-6 days $50 credit

7-13 days $100 credit

14- days $250 credit

Archived