prices with online TA

Iamcruzin

Am I doing something wrong? I have been trying to compare prices with online travel agents to possibly transfer a booking I made with Princess. When I research the cruise I booked it seems that the brochure price is inflated higher than anything that I have see on Princess for the same category. The prices I am using to compare is the price before my past passenger discount is applied. The so called reduced rate that the online TA’s are offering is the same as the price on Princess. It seems that the online TA’s are inflating the brochure price to make the discount percent look larger than what it actually is.

That Brochure Price is very misleading, nobody in their right mind buys the cruise at that price, but it is somewhat akin to the rack rate at a hotel, they have to post something for the top fare. When shopping for comparison, you have to compare the bottom line and ignore the claimed percentage off. Figure your price at Princess with your early booking discount, any OBC, any special offers, etc. That is your bottom line price from Princess. Then shop at the various TA sites, use your Past passenger number and find the bottom line price after any added discounts, bonus OBC, or offers. There are many that will beat the bottom line Princess price, you just have to look around to find them.

Just an added thought. I would never book with an online TA just because the price was lower. There are many 'fees' associated with some that many don't know about until after the fact, such as change fees for anything you might need to change on your booking, from cabin assignment changes to drops in price. I find someone that can recommend any TA first, before actually booking with an online TA, just for safety sake. ;)

Just an added thought. I would never book with an online TA just because the price was lower. There are many 'fees' associated with some that many don't know about until after the fact, such as change fees for anything you might need to change on your booking, from cabin assignment changes to drops in price. I find someone that can recommend any TA first, before actually booking with an online TA, just for safety sake. ;)

This is good advice. I also tell people to check with the BBB before booking (they have a great website), and make sure to do a Google search to find reviews.

This is good advice. I also tell people to check with the BBB before booking (they have a great website), and make sure to do a Google search to find reviews.

I don't agree that checking with the BBB does much good. I know of several TA's that myself and others have had serious problems with in the past, and checking the BBB shows no complaints at all. Many don't bother reporting things to the BBB, so just because they have a good rating, really doesn't mean a lot, at least to me. ;)

Thank's all for your advice. Toto I agree with your advice about online TA's and fees. I figured I would check with the ones that advertise on CC first because I feel that they would be the most secure. I think since I am already booked I am going to shop around locally and compare price. Since I did all of the work booking the 4 of us perhaps someone will offer me something like an OBC just to get my booking. I don't think that anyone will be able to beat the price by much. I booked 2 inside staterooms midship for $364pp for a 7 day cruise. The airline fare is only $105 each to San Juan and since it's a Repo back to my home port It is only a oneway fare. This is the cheapest vacation I have ever booked. I feel greedy asking for more. But if it's out there why not grab it.

Mike

Thank's all for your advice. Toto I agree with your advice about online TA's and fees. I figured I would check with the ones that advertise on CC first because I feel that they would be the most secure. I think since I am already booked I am going to shop around locally and compare price. Since I did all of the work booking the 4 of us perhaps someone will offer me something like an OBC just to get my booking. I don't think that anyone will be able to beat the price by much. I booked 2 inside staterooms midship for $364pp for a 7 day cruise. The airline fare is only $105 each to San Juan and since it's a Repo back to my home port It is only a oneway fare. This is the cheapest vacation I have ever booked. I feel greedy asking for more. But if it's out there why not grab it.

Mike

Technically - if you turn your booking over to a TA, they can discount your price even if the Princess price went up.

Based on what you said your fare was, an agent really can't discount that more then a few dollars, especially with some (maybe a lot) of the of $364 is port fees and taxes. I personally wouldn't waste too much time on it to save $10 pp.

I'm sure that there are many out there that have no clue as to the techniques or strategies used to "shop" TA's for fares. Maybe someone could do a brief outline on the methods used, whether they have a specific voyage/category in mind when they do their searching.

Technically - if you turn your booking over to a TA, they can discount your price even if the Princess price went up.

Based on what you said your fare was, an agent really can't discount that more then a few dollars, especially with some (maybe a lot) of the of $364 is port fees and taxes. I personally wouldn't waste too much time on it to save $10 pp.

I have been comparing prices before tax and port charges. I think you are right that the price I got would be hard to beat. When I add the charges and airline fare it comes to $77 a day per person. Realistically where can I get a room and meals for 7 days cheaper than that?

There was a 15 year span between my first Princess cruise and my second. When I started looking at online TA's the brochure price seemed to be in line with what I paid in 1991 so it seemed like an amazing savings. Since I have been educated by all of the experienced cc members I now know better. Ironically I accidently found Cruise Critic through a link on an online TA site.

I have been comparing prices before tax and port charges. I think you are right that the price I got would be hard to beat. When I add the charges and airline fare it comes to $77 a day per person. Realistically where can I get a room and meals for 7 days cheaper than that?

There was a 15 year span between my first Princess cruise and my second. When I started looking at online TA's the brochure price seemed to be in line with what I paid in 1991 so it seemed like an amazing savings. Since I have been educated by all of the experienced cc members I now know better. Ironically I accidently found Cruise Critic through a link on an online TA site.

One of the situations you are encountering is that there are some very good prices on this cruise that is tied to your captain circle number ($200 off the price in my case for insides). So - when you are looking at online agents, unless they are running your Captain Circle number - they can not quote you properly (and if you are just looking online - this would explain why the prices are higher).

You can always switch to a TA and save a few dollars but it won't be much due to your low fare but you would receive service from an agent which I think is worthy if given the right TA.

Well, I am in the process of booking a cruise and have run into the same issue. Right now, Princess online is running $200pp cheaper than what I can find through a TA, online or otherwise.

Obviously there are deals out there, but maybe not on the cruise I am trying to book in the room type we are choosing.

I'm going to continue my search for a couple more days and check out a couple of TAs in person on Friday, but if they can't match it, I'm choosing going direct.

Well, I am in the process of booking a cruise and have run into the same issue. Right now, Princess online is running $200pp cheaper than what I can find through a TA, online or otherwise.

Obviously there are deals out there, but maybe not on the cruise I am trying to book in the room type we are choosing.

I'm going to continue my search for a couple more days and check out a couple of TAs in person on Friday, but if they can't match it, I'm choosing going direct.

Click on my name to find my email address and send me an email

Remember, that does not work. Email addresses are not accessible by clicking on your username. :(

It does on mine. I should have said, click on my name, then profile. My email is there next to "Biography".. :D

Make sure the agent runs your Captain Circle number - otherwise they can't quite it properly. Agents (who discount) should be able to discount any price that Princess quotes you. But they must check it properly first. This is why online agencies are not the best at checking prices.

Archived