Important Hard Working People We Hardly Acknowledge.......

sail7seas

I've been thinking about people in my life who work hard to provide us with something we use and value but hardly ever really acknowledge or appropriately thank.

I carried that thought forward to people involved with our cruises we don't often acknowledge and credit for smoothing our way.

Be interesting to read people involved with your cruises you think fit that category.

I specifically have the Shore Operations People in mind. Because we sail so often from FLL and Boston, it is those people I particularly am grateful to for the GREAT job they do. (Actually, I've seen some familiar faces from FLL, Port Everglades, in Boston's Black Falcon Terminal so I know it's sometimes the same people doing the same wonderful job.

They keep the embarkations and disembarkations running so smoothly they make it look easy on most occassions. It cannot be easy getting 2,100+ guests off Eurdam and the same number on in a few short hours. They get us all routed through security, check in and across the gangway and when do we hardly ever comment or notice them.

THANKS SHORE OPS Folks..... You do a GREAT job!

Any folks you feel need acknowledging that hardly get a kudos here?

Great idea for a Thread, Sail.

For me, I'd like to acknowledge those hard working crew members that can be found day and night polishing brass around the ships. They always have a smile for us and seem to take genuine pride in a job well done. We've been known to slip them a $20, and the looks on their faces are worth ten times that.

Here is to the pilot boat crew: The pilot boat captain whose job it is to "kiss" the ship to allow the transfer of personnel.

And to the guy who jumps off the moving ship and on to the moving pilot boat, and vice versa. It catches my breath every time I watch it.

This transfer is part of our sailing ritual. It is particularly breath-taking when the seas are rough and the decks are rain slick.

I also love watching the guys who handle the heavy ropes securing our lovely floating home to the wharf stantions.

We feel we have finally left port when we see the pilot boat turn around and head back to shore. That is the time to finally wave good-bye.

Here is to the pilot boat crew: The pilot boat captain whose job it is to "kiss" the ship to allow the transfer of personnel.

And to the guy who jumps off the moving ship and on to the moving pilot boat, and vice versa. It catches my breath every time I watch it.

Fabulous idea for a thread! DH's cousins are pilots, so if you've ever sailed from Norfolk, the chances are good one of them might have been your pilot navigating through Hampton Roads. And yes, the job is dangerous. Thank you Swiss Myst for mentioning the pilots.

Thinking of those who have made our cruises so enjoyable, the list is long. Not to slight anyone, from the greeters at the airport to the last porter who carries our bags after the cruise and everyone in between, thanks for many, many memories. A special thank-you to the guys who maintain the exterior of HAL's fleet, keeping those ships painted and trim so they look gorgeous. Always excited to see the distinctive blue and white ship gleaming in the sun as we arrive at the pier. It takes a lot of effort to keep ships looking that great.

I want to thank the wonderful folks who do my laundry and dry cleaning. It is so nice to come "home" and find neatly folded and/or pressed clothes hanging in your cabin.

Our first few cruises we didn't know about the laundry and spent part of my valuable cruise time in the laundrymats on board. So, thanks for making a holiday a real treat.

To all the bar staff that make my Martini's perfect and my Harvey Wallbangers oh sooooo good, I thank you for your hard work.

I'm with you Melodie, especially when they remember to call me Gail when I point out I don't use my legal name Patricia. All it takes is one request and they remember to call me Gail:D They see me coming and pull out the bottle of Myers Rum.

Fabulous idea for a thread! DH's cousins are pilots, so if you've ever sailed from Norfolk, the chances are good one of them might have been your pilot navigating through Hampton Roads. And yes, the job is dangerous. Thank you Swiss Myst for mentioning the pilots.

I wondered about my overly inclusive use of masculine pronouns in this tribute to the pilot boat crews. Are their women pilot boat captains or crew members who are jumpers too? And please tell your cousins, even if I never sail in or out of Hampton Roads, we love watching them in action.

The trickiest part of navigation must be coming and going in the port itself. Anyone who watched a huge ship come in backwards through the long, narrow harbor opening on Borhholm Island (Den.) like the Rotterdam had to accomplish during the Northern Stronghold trip last May knows what we are talking about. It was awesome.

The skill of these people all around the world from the most obscure backwater ports to the largest industrial ports always amazes me. I hope you will share more of what you know about this profession. How do they train? How do pilots all over the world "speak the same language". Thanks.

And, don't forget those hard working fellows in the galley, preparing all that delicious food! And particularly the bakers: oh, those croissants! YUM!!

The absolute best croissants on the high seas. Agree. Yes, both the bakers and HAL headquarters deserve credit on this one for insisting on the highest standards for their baked goods. I can hardly wait to have them (in unlimited quantities - dream on) again.

....and make sure the ships we cruise on are safe!!!!

ASIDE to sdpoulin: looks like you are having the same problem getting your signature line and cruise countdowns to work, like a lot of us Mac users also had -- there was a great thread explaining how to make this work, if this is the case. There needed to be a change in the command string and then it worked on Macs.

How about the folks down in the engine room - hot - noisy and without them we don't go any where:)

I'll second this - having spent 3-1/2 years in the Navy, working in the forward engine room on a WWII era rust bucket DE, with more steam leaks than you can imagine, most of the time with not enough sleep - I definitely learned what hot and humid means! I'm sure I'm not the only one, too.;)

My thanks to the following

1. My HAL PCC for getting me the best deals and looking after me even after my cruise is over

2. The HAL representatives at the Hotels who make sure that we are met with a letter, all documentation necessary for our hotel and transfers.

3. The porters/stevedoers who lug our luggage from the hotels to the ship.

4. The Cruise personel at the piers/docks who make sure we are checked in correctly and gets us off to a great cruise.

5. To ALL the Cruise Critic Hosts for making this board a place to come and discuss our cruising experiences.

6. To ALL my fellow CC members who make this a great place to exchange info and experiences. And for understanding and trying to help oters that need help and info.

I know there are more, but ...Thanks to ALL

Joanie

ASIDE to sdpoulin: looks like you are having the same problem getting your signature line and cruise countdowns to work, like a lot of us Mac users also had -- there was a great thread explaining how to make this work, if this is the case. There needed to be a change in the command string and then it worked on Macs.

Thanks for the info but after it not working the first time I tried did not worry that much about it.

I'll second this - having spent 3-1/2 years in the Navy, working in the forward engine room on a WWII era rust bucket DE, with more steam leaks than you can imagine, most of the time with not enough sleep - I definitely learned what hot and humid means! I'm sure I'm not the only one, too.;)

And a special thanks to you and those currently serving our country.

Don't forget the sailors & quartermasters who drive the tenders from ship to port and vice versa, as well as the ship's personnel on the tender platforms who assist pax, especially the elderly and mobility impaired, to get in and out of the boats. Not a day at the beach when the tenders are "moving" due to weather or swells.

- The immediate response teams who come running with their gear in case of medical emergencies such as "Bright Stars"

- The men and women at the gangway who "man" the metal detectors and x-ray machines and ensure that no "bad stuff" comes onboard

A gracious thank you to the lovely Indonesian ladies who clean the public restrooms---a thankless job if ever there was one. They give it that "special touch" that lets me know everything has been taken care of.

Are their women pilot boat captains or crew members who are jumpers too? And please tell your cousins, even if I never sail in or out of Hampton Roads, we love watching them in action.

The skill of these people all around the world from the most obscure How do they train? How do pilots all over the world "speak the same language". Thanks.

Sorry, SwissMyst, that I have taken so long to answer your questions. Although I could remember a few details, I wanted to give the most accurate information. Neither cousin was available last night to answer, so had to wait until one could respond.

Yes, there may be female pilots. Women were first admitted as academic cadets in 1974. For purposes here, I'll stick to the masculine pronoun.

Like you, we never tire of watching pilots "jump ship." Although a captain never relinquishes control of his vessel, the pilot is responsible for the ship's safety while he is navagating. During his brief time aboard, should an accident occur, he will be held accountable. In a typical day, a pilot might guide numerous ships from harbor to the open sea. Depends on how busy a harbor is. In Hampton Roads, a pilot will be very busy on most days. When they are "on duty," they are subject to call 24 hours a day, regardless of sea conditions. Cousins have had some close calls during bad storms.

The training as you might expect takes years. A pilot must have a merchant marine license with required endorsement. He must be a high school graduate or have GED and serve years as an apprentice. In addition he serves a one-year apprenticeship as a deputy pilot. Before that, he works his way up through various merchant marine licenses. He builds sea time (must have a minimum of 600 hours in last 5 years) & serves as second mate on a ship with a certain tonnage. U.S. Naval experience counts toward sea time.

And, like airline pilots or anyone in a high risk job, he must pass random drug tests. Hope this answers your questions. Again, thanks for the interest and your appreciation.

Archived