Veendam 'too big' to get into St Georges, Bermuda

Goldryder

Check post 203 instead from someone who is intimately familar with the Bermuda maritime world:

The big problem is that there is only ONE 700 pax tender and turnaround time will be two to three hours per trip. Eg first trip from the ship could be at 8 am and the second trip will be no earlier than 10 am... more lilely 11 am.

There is no way Town Cut will be widened due to envrionmentaal concerns.

Stephen

...... The Veendam was likely committed to dock in St. Georges before the refit. I expect the realizaton that she would no longer clear Town Cut came after the refit.

Now, it's punt time!

Agree....and BDA may likely be pushing for still anchoring and tendering In St. George rather than docking at Hamilton.

According to this article, St. George is suffering the loss of more than one cruise ship so not having the one and only there will only hurt them more. http://www.royalgazette.com/rg/Article/article.jsp?articleId=7d9cbaf30030019&sectionId=65

Merchants saw the decrease in business after the number of ships calling in Hamilton was reduced which, only stands to reason, the same thing would happen in St.George. We've been to BDA every year since 2001 and have noticed the stores disappearing from St. George, particularly on the last 2 trips. The article indicates that even more will be closing.

How decent is whatever shopping remains in Hamilton? We haven't been for a while but were saddened how little there was when we last visited. Seems it had turned to offices and banks rather than Triminghams. :( Way back when that was a lovely store.

Did Solomon's Mines' used to be in Hamilton or was that Nassau? :confused:

How decent is whatever shopping remains in Hamilton? We haven't been for a while but were saddened how little there was when we last visited. Seems it had turned to offices and banks rather than Triminghams. :( Way back when that was a lovely store.

Did Solomon's Mines' used to be in Hamilton or was that Nassau? :confused:

Are their particular items in Bermuda that would be considered a bargain compared to US prices?

I'm not sure how many of you saw this...evidently there was a time when the Veendam would be able to get through the cut...then came the alterations..

In 2008, a computer simulation of the ‘Veendam’ was conducted and Holland America Line commenced with marketing and selling the twin-port Bermuda cruises. Although Holland America was confident the ‘Veendam’ could safely navigate Town Cut Channel, it was decided to conduct additional simulations of the ship. Two other simulations were conducted in July and November 2009 and it was concluded that it would be unsafe for the ‘Veendam’ to navigate Town Cut in 2010.

Here's my guess as to how things will go....

The Veendam will clear the surrounding reef in the vicinity of the cut as all other ships do..If the weather at that time is good enough to tender then they will anchor and tender into St George...If the weather is not good enough to tender they will continue to Hamilton to dock..This is the same thing that would happen if the ship was docking at St George and weather would not allow passage...I would guess that the decision to anchor or not will be made long before we even reach the cut..

Rich,

Murray's anchorage is off Tobacco Bay. If the weather acts up, (as we both know can happen) that big ferry can't get to or from the ship. Bermuda only has one of them. And they sure as the day is long, not going to dedicate a high speed ferry to the ship.

As for going to Hamilton, there is only one shed left. The others sheds are gone. New parking lot. And they are doing lots of constuction on Front St. But it's a nice idea to dock there.

I'm sure when the deal was done, Veendam could go thru the cut. IMHO the retrofit is the problem. I don't think Bermuda would do the deal knowing St. George's wasn't getting a ship tied to the pier. Bermuda saw $$$ for the town.

Rich,

Murray's anchorage is off Tobacco Bay. If the weather acts up, (as we both know can happen) that big ferry can't get to or from the ship. Bermuda only has one of them. And they sure as the day is long, not going to dedicate a high speed ferry to the ship.

As for going to Hamilton, there is only one shed left. The others sheds are gone. New parking lot. And they are doing lots of constuction on Front St. But it's a nice idea to dock there.

I'm sure when the deal was done, Veendam could go thru the cut. IMHO the retrofit is the problem. I don't think Bermuda would do the deal knowing St. George's wasn't getting a ship tied to the pier. Bermuda saw $$$ for the town.

Would it not be more beneficial to the economy of Bermuda to have the ship tied up in Hamilton for the three nights and have most people ashore every day than to spend one day anchored where a smaller percentage of passengers would go ashore? I wonder if anyone in authourity in Bermuda is reading this thread.

Looking at the schedule I see that the Veendam is leaving St. Georges at 2PM. That means that passengers who don't make it ashore on the tender untiil the second run would have to be back on the tender by 1PM. Since it takes a while to load a large ferry, I would suspect you would have to be in line by 12:30-----hardly worth going ashore unless one intends to make one's own way to Hamilton.

Looking at the schedule I see that the Veendam is leaving St. Georges at 2PM. That means that passengers who don't make it ashore on the tender untiil the second run would have to be back on the tender by 1PM. Since it takes a while to load a large ferry, I would suspect you would have to be in line by 12:30-----hardly worth going ashore unless one intends to make one's own way to Hamilton.

That's exactly what we plan to do. There's no need to be on the ship when it changes port, so you can have a nice relaxing day in BDA and reboard in Hamilton. That would eliminate one tender trip, at least!

We've decided to cancel the Veendam and haved booked Celebrity Summit instead. The potential for aggravation with the tendering into St Georges (long turnaround time, weather conditions, tender capacity, nighttime schedule) make the Veendam much less desirable for the price they are charging. We got 2 balcony cabins on Summit for the same cost of a balcony and an inside on Veendam. Although Veendam is in Bermuda for about a half day longer, that could easily be offset by tendering time. Although I would have preferred St Georges and Hamilton over Kings Wharf, we've been to Bermuda quite a few times and have no difficulty making our way around by bus, ferry or taxi.

We've decided to cancel the Veendam and haved booked Celebrity Summit instead. The potential for aggravation with the tendering into St Georges (long turnaround time, weather conditions, tender capacity, nighttime schedule) make the Veendam much less desirable for the price they are charging. We got 2 balcony cabins on Summit for the same cost of a balcony and an inside on Veendam. Although Veendam is in Bermuda for about a half day longer, that could easily be offset by tendering time. Although I would have preferred St Georges and Hamilton over Kings Wharf, we've been to Bermuda quite a few times and have no difficulty making our way around by bus, ferry or taxi.

I am of the same feeling, but I convinced my family members to hang in their for awhile. Half of them are ready to bail out now. So we will wait to decide until the final payment is due. Maybe HAL will rub their magic 8 ball and dock somewhere else other than tendering.

I also have a veranda and an inside booked on HAL. looked at the Celebrity for the dates we are sailing and its only $300 pp less for the veranda, and the same for the inside cabin, on the Summit. So I am sticking with HAL for now, since even if you do tender, you still get the extra day in Bermuda. Hopefully they can figure out something better in the meantime.

Wrong ferry! The tender that will be running to VEDM is much larger, 750 paz and much slower... like about 14 knots Those fast commuter ferries can certainly throw you around... even when it is calm!

Tell me about getting thrown around. We took the high speed ferry to Capri earlier in the year. I'm glad that I passed on breakfast, it was rough. Coming back it was smooth as silk.

The wife and I were going to book one of the cruises on HAL after seeing that it went to St. Georges and Hamilton, we just love going into St. Georges we were on the very last cruise that NCL had into St. Georges on the Majesty, when did they start taking ships back into Hamilton again, it has been many years since I have been on a ship that docked there? I think I will hold off a bit to see what happens before we book one. We have never done a cruise with HAL how are they, do they really roll up the carpets and put everyone one to bed by 9:00 PM or do they have night life on the ship?

The wife and I were going to book one of the cruises on HAL after seeing that it went to St. Georges and Hamilton, we just love going into St. Georges we were on the very last cruise that NCL had into St. Georges on the Majesty, when did they start taking ships back into Hamilton again, it has been many years since I have been on a ship that docked there? I think I will hold off a bit to see what happens before we book one. We have never done a cruise with HAL how are they, do they really roll up the carpets and put everyone one to bed by 9:00 PM or do they have night life on the ship?

For the most part, yes. HAL is a very serene cruise experience. It is cetainly no 'party hardy boat'. I usually find that the only ones in the late night disco are off-duty staff members.

Someone mentioned that the HAL site now says that tendering will be necessary. I wonder how many people who are booked have picked up on that? I just taked to someone who is booked and did not know.....she works for a travel agency. They are disappointed but will not cancel.

We docked in Hamilton last year on the NCL Dream...

We have never done a cruise with HAL how are they, do they really roll up the carpets and put everyone one to bed by 9:00 PM or do they have night life on the ship?

Oh, no. HAL lets the main seating diners finish before lights out. But curfew is 10:00 sharp.

Archived